5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally got a VIAS block plate....the verdict is...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Again, if you say so.

What's I'm hearing is the sound of 3 men agreeing with each other on subject, but disagreeing on context. Not sure why.

VIAS-delete mod. Free-the-whales.

My thoughts exactly....
Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM

Nobody is getting upset.... everybody that spoke on the mod have the mod and love the mod... I just think its not thread worthy that's all but enjoy man.... hope when I get something that y'all don't plan on getting nobody bashes it... I'm gonna start posting everything in a thread
Old 04-25-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Nobody is getting upset.... everybody that spoke on the mod have the mod and love the mod... I just think its not thread worthy that's all but enjoy man.... hope when I get something that y'all don't plan on getting nobody bashes it... I'm gonna start posting everything in a thread

Grand...it's all good....I was sharing my thoughts on it....but if guys on the org don't want to hear it or think it is not threadworthy....then so be it...

I wouldn't have gotten this mod if I didn't have the opinion of people who got it and tried it and then posted on threads such as this....

Last edited by 2 GO B4; 04-25-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by 2 GO B4
I don't ever recall using the words "HUGE" & difference to describe the mod...I mean come on guys...I am well aware that I didn't install a supercharger mod equivalent.....with like 70 hp gains.....

I am not so sure why some of you are getting upset...if you didn't notice a change or it changed for the worse...then put the VIAS back in and sell it....at least you will recoup some of your investment.
My point was never that there are no gains or changes for the worse, and I am certainly not upset nor have I seen evidence that anybody else in this thread is upset. Additionally, I have not seen anybody claim that this mod gives no gains or causes detriments.

Again, I'm just saying that this mod is not a night and day difference and the topend gains alone would be somewhat difficult to notice were it not for the lowend loss accompanying it.

Ok, there was no "huge," but just look at these statements. If I was an outside observer not knowing what mod you were talking about, I would very likely think you were describing nitrous or F/I gains.

"..the car just freakin took off like a bat out of hell....WOW! "

"...I mean the tires were just lighting up left and right..."
Old 04-25-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
My point was never that there are no gains or changes for the worse, and I am certainly not upset nor have I seen evidence that anybody else in this thread is upset. Additionally, I have not seen anybody claim that this mod gives no gains or causes detriments.

Again, I'm just saying that this mod is not a night and day difference and the topend gains alone would be somewhat difficult to notice were it not for the lowend loss accompanying it.

Ok, there was no "huge," but just look at these statements. If I was an outside observer not knowing what mod you were talking about, I would very likely think you were describing nitrous or F/I gains.

okay...okay...I see your point....maybe I should have not used such phrases....just trying to be a bit descriptive.....but in my defense....the second comment kinda went along with the pouring rain...lol!
Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Sounds like a "huge" difference there lol...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:45 PM

Sounds like a "huge" difference there lol...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I believe Scottwax has the GAB with his block plate.....Have you noticed any changes in the noise level of the GAB with the installation of your block plate Scott??
Maybe a touch throatier sounding if that makes sense. No drastic changes, but when I went from four 1" holes to eight, I did notice more volume.

Originally Posted by jowo9[/QUOTE
Hey Scott, how do you feel about that last little qualm I mentioned that I have with my VAIS delete?
I lightly haze the tires until I am going 20 mph or so, by then rpms are up enough it just keeps pulling. The big problem was when it was cold and I had the Falken ZE-912s which are definitely not a cold weather tire. I'd be hooked up in 1st gear, hit 4000 rpms and break the tires loose.

sparks03max-you make a good point about the transition from where the block plate costs power to where it makes power exaggerating the effects of the mod because it does make it more noticeable. However, the gains are enough in my car to be felt from a 45 mph roll when I nail the gas. Puts me at 4000 in 2nd gear and it definitely pulls harder than it did with the VIAS system in place. Plus no waiting for the butterfly valve to open at whatever pace it wants to. Much more responsive above 4000 rpms than it used to be. Plus the added bonus of it raising the shift points from 6100 to 6500 rpms. Eliminates the need to shift manually and makes the car pull harder on the 2-3 shift, very helpful since the 4AT has such a loooooooooong 3rd gear.

The dyno sheet on the Altima showed a 10 hp loss from 2800 to 3800 and 8-10 hp gain from 3900 and up so that is a pretty good bump from 3800 to 4000 which further proves your point about the loss making the gains seem even better.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-vs-stock.html

My thoughts on the VIAS delete vs Stock.

-3800rpm seems to be the magic number in this comparison. Below 3800 the Stock setup is better but after that its all gains with the NWP Blockplate and the VIAS delete!!!
-From 3800 all the way to redline with the VIAS delete I showed an average 8hp gain across the board with a peak of 10.5hp at 6000.
-From 2700 until 3800 the Stock setup was good for an average of 8hp over the VIAS delete with a peak of 9hp at 3400.
-From 3800 until redline the VIAS delete made an average of 8tq more with a peak of 10.5tq at 4200.
-From 2800 until 3800 the Stock setup was good for an average of 10tq more with a peak of 16tq more at 3400.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:06 PM

I think Sparks point is totally valid.....If you really think about it....I think all the mod really does is shift the power curve up a bit from accentuating the midrange to accentuating the high end....don't think that the low end is really affected...at least not in my case.....

Therefore....the transition would likely be more pronounced I guess....

Scottwax.....I was checking out a altima thread before I put the plate on...and it seems the non-SER altima's responded well to the mod....but most of the SER owners who did the mod felt that they lost power.....
Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Scottwax.....I was checking out a altima thread before I put the plate on...and it seems the non-SER altima's responded well to the mod....but most of the SER owners who did the mod felt that they lost power.....
Could be something in the way the SE-R is tuned that negates the effect of the block plate.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Had to give u hell man.... enjoy the BOP... good purchase
Old 04-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Had to give u hell man.... enjoy the BOP... good purchase
your alright man......I got a few laughs from these posts.....
Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM

I'm not familiar with the OP's posts, but he has my respect for the way he's handled the uncomfortable direction this thread has taken.

Sparks, you're a good source of useful info on this forum, regardless.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 PM

I'm not familiar with the OP's posts, but he has my respect for the way he's handled the uncomfortable direction this thread has taken.

Sparks, you're a good source of useful info on this forum, regardless.
I must admit he handled it like a veteran... I do give my respects for that... I don't believe it could be handled any better... why am I not a good source rochester I always knew u didn't like me under the quiet n I'm not gonna be as calm as the OP so explain yourself...
Old 04-25-2010, 06:10 PM

Rochester....Grand....thanks for the kind words....much appreciated guys!

Last edited by 2 GO B4; 04-25-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Forgot to ask you guys here on the org....did any of you find oil in the IM when you removed the VIAS..and if so....did you clean it out or leave it the way it was...I found a little bit in there and I was tempted to clean it out but then I decided not to....didn't want to get anything that wouldn't get past the air filter in there....
Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Forgot to ask you guys here on the org....did any of you find oil in the IM when you removed the VIAS..and if so....did you clean it out or leave it the way it was...I found a little bit in there and I was tempted to clean it out but then I decided not to....didn't want to get anything that wouldn't get past the air filter in there....
No oil pooling or wetness but the inside of the intake has a yellowish cast to it.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
No oil pooling or wetness but the inside of the intake has a yellowish cast to it.

Is it normal in the VQ35DE to get some oil into the intake manifold....I know it is probably blowby....but just wondering now.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Yeah if you have a functional valve cover vent (PCV hose to the IM), you will get a little oil in the IM. Pooling is even normal if it hasn't been beat on much.

After I put the breather on, I haven't gotten any oil in the IM.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-25-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:11 PM

Yeah if you have a functional valve cover vent, you will get a little oil in the IM. Pooling is even normal if it hasn't been beat on much.

After I put the breather on, I haven't gotten any oil in the IM.

okay....not to sound totally ignorant....but what is a breather...lol!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:14 PM

okay....not to sound totally ignorant....but what is a breather...lol!
Just a cheap little filter that replaces the hose.

You can see it in this pic.

Most people don't vent to atmosphere like me, they tend to adopt a catch can.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM

Just a cheap little filter that replaces the hose.

Most people don't vent to atmosphere like me, they tend to adopt a catch can.
Does it affect driveability in any way....and I assume that you just plug the end on the air intake tube
Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Does it affect driveability in any way....and I assume that you just plug the end on the air intake tube
Doesn't affect it at all. It's just not the most "green" route to go.

You either plug the end on the intake, or you can just not have a port on your intake. If you look at mine, there are no holes there.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 PM

Doesn't affect it at all. It's just not the most "green" route to go.

You either plug the end on the intake, or you can just not have a port on your intake. If you look at mine, there are no holes there.

Any problems with Emissions testing.......if not...I will definitely get this done.....thanks for the input sparks!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 PM

that third bolt isnt that bad if you use a open type wrench,when i didnt mine all that i was worried about was making sure the gasket went on perfect....btw do you see any change in mpg?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM

Any problems with Emissions testing.......if not...I will definitely get this done.....thanks for the input sparks!
Technically, you should not pass emissions inspection with the PCV venting to atmosphere, but I have never even seen someone open my hood when doing the inspection, much less notice the filter.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by aNtHoNyNoZ
that third bolt isnt that bad if you use a open type wrench,when i didnt mine all that i was worried about was making sure the gasket went on perfect....btw do you see any change in mpg?

So far the mileage appears similar to before....a slight bit lower since the computer reset (disconnected negative during install).....but even with me ******* on it to test it....still trip computer says about 23 in city driving.....I will post the observed mileage after a tank or two of my regular routine.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Technically, you should not pass emissions inspection with the PCV venting to atmosphere, but I have never even seen someone open my hood when doing the inspection, much less notice the filter.

true...the last few times I went for emission testing...they just plugged into the OBD and checked for any tripped emissions codes...no tripped codes=no problems.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM

I can't report on the vias specifically, but I can compare gas mileage completely stock with full boltons + tune.

We all know the trip computer reads a little high, but I'm comparing numbers that are both from the trip computer.

Stock I was getting 20-23 city and 28-30 highway on the trip computer. My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city would read 26-27mpg

Intake, spacers, vias delete, headers/ypipe, test pipe, 3" catback, UTEC tuned and I now see around 23-26 city and 30-33 on the higyway. My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city reads 29-30mpg

I don't know which of those mods added/lost, but in total I've gained 3-4mpg overall.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 PM

I can't report on the vias specifically, but I can compare gas mileage completely stock with full boltons + tune.

We all know the trip computer reads a little high, but I'm comparing numbers that are both from the trip computer.

Stock I was getting 20-23 city and 28-30 highway on the trip computer. My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city would read 26-27mpg

Intake, spacers, vias delete, headers/ypipe, test pipe, 3" catback, UTEC tuned and I now see around 23-26 city and 30-33 on the higyway. My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city reads 29-30mpg

I don't know which of those mods added/lost, but in total I've gained 3-4mpg overall.
that's a good return....more power and better gas mileage to boot....nice job
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM

that's a good return....more power and better gas mileage to boot....nice job
Yep, but i'm sure if I ever do ported heads and cams (highly doubtful) i will lose all that MPG back lol.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM

Yep, but i'm sure if I ever do ported heads and cams (highly doubtful) i will lose all that MPG back lol.

True....but the power you will gain will be soooooooo worth it...
Old 04-25-2010, 07:56 PM

True....but the power you will gain will be soooooooo worth it...
Yeah 264-272ish cams with some decent head work combined with SSIM and supporting mods (valvetrain, rod bolts) could certainly make for some 290+whp numbers and mid/low 12s N/A full weight.

But the same amount of money spent on my RX-7 will have it doing 11s with a nearly stock engine.... and very little for limits. I guess you can see why It's not likely I'll be doing cams and headwork on the maxima.

Last edited by sparks03max; 04-25-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 AM

Sparks, are you referring to this filter on the side of the front VC? (That's your engine, btw. You and I had a PM discussion a few months ago abut this little guy.)

Are you saying that using this filter rather than a tube back into the IM will reduce the IM pooling of oil? That makes sense.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-26-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:32 AM

Sparks, are you referring to this filter on the side of the front VC? (That's your engine, btw. You and I had a PM discussion a few months ago abut this little guy.)

Yep that's the filter I was referring to.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:44 AM

My normal commute with 75% highway 25% city reads 29-30mpg

Ditto that on mileage improvements after mods. Kind of a win-win.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Sparks, does a bunch of oil drip out of the breather filter for you?

A friend of mine down here just uses a peice of hose there slightly angled up but not connected back to the intake. So i guess if it spits out any oil it will just drain back into the valve cover. It doesn't look as nifty as the filter but it might end up being a little less messy. Do you see anything wrong with this setup?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 AM

Yep that's the filter I was referring to.

Hey Sparks....another quick question...where did you pick that up from...I thought I saw something similar to this once at Pep Boys.....can you get it from one of the local auto stores...and if so.... are there any specific brands to get/stay away from??
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Hey Sparks....another quick question...where did you pick that up from...I thought I saw something similar to this once at Pep Boys.....can you get it from one of the local auto stores...and if so.... are there any specific brands to get/stay away from??
You can get them at any retail auto parts store. You dont really need anything expensive because your probably gonna change it out every once in a while.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM

Yeah 264-272ish cams with some decent head work combined with SSIM and supporting mods (valvetrain, rod bolts) could certainly make for some 290+whp numbers and mid/low 12s N/A full weight.

But the same amount of money spent on my RX-7 will have it doing 11s with a nearly stock engine.... and very little for limits. I guess you can see why It's not likely I'll be doing cams and headwork on the maxima.
what kind of RX-7 do you have?
(off topic i know, but i'm a fan and couldnt resist)

i used to own a turbo FC and loved it .. had a decent amount of work into it, before i sold it

Quick Reply: Finally got a VIAS block plate....the verdict is...