5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny/Valve Body...I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tranny/Valve Body...I need advice

5.5AT, ~90k miles.

I started getting the flaring from 2-3 about 3 months ago. In case you've never heard of this problem, the tranny would release 2nd, flare up ~500rpms(not slipping), then catch 3rd. If I let off the gas, then it wouldnt flare up and would catch 3rd. I ordered a used TCM which made no difference.

This weekend I pulled the VB and installed a Trans-go modded VB with BRAND NEW solenoids. I take it for a test drive and it doesnt want to shift out of 1st until ~5k RPMs. Once 2nd comes around, i can rev it all the way to redline and it wont catch 3rd. I got so frustrated I called it a day, only to return the next morning.

The next day I drop the modded VB, installed the OEM VB I originally pulled out and installed the NEW solenoids. Take it for a test drive and its better, but its having a hard time shifting to 3rd.

Has anyone ever encountered this? My plan tonight is to test the solenoids. I have 4 sets so hopefully I can find a working combinations. Also, when i dropped the VB I didnt unplug the battery before I took it for a test drive. I wouldnt think this would have an effect on the way it shifts but i'm open to try anything now.

I'm getting sick of the 1.5-2 hour ordeals only for it not to fix the problem. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by vastmax
5.5AT, ~90k miles.

I started getting the flaring from 2-3 about 3 months ago. In case you've never heard of this problem, the tranny would release 2nd, flare up ~500rpms(not slipping), then catch 3rd. If I let off the gas, then it wouldnt flare up and would catch 3rd. I ordered a used TCM which made no difference.

This weekend I pulled the VB and installed a Trans-go modded VB with BRAND NEW solenoids. I take it for a test drive and it doesnt want to shift out of 1st until ~5k RPMs. Once 2nd comes around, i can rev it all the way to redline and it wont catch 3rd. I got so frustrated I called it a day, only to return the next morning.

The next day I drop the modded VB, installed the OEM VB I originally pulled out and installed the NEW solenoids. Take it for a test drive and its better, but its having a hard time shifting to 3rd.

Has anyone ever encountered this? My plan tonight is to test the solenoids. I have 4 sets so hopefully I can find a working combinations. Also, when i dropped the VB I didnt unplug the battery before I took it for a test drive. I wouldnt think this would have an effect on the way it shifts but i'm open to try anything now.

I'm getting sick of the 1.5-2 hour ordeals only for it not to fix the problem. Any help is appreciated.
You have 4 sets of solenoids, or 2 sets?

Why do you have so many solenoids if you do in fact have 4 sets?

Make sure all the o-rings are seated properly. Once I reinstalled a VB and it wouldn't get out of 1st, reinstalled, 2-3 would slip like no one's business.

Finally got it right after a few tries (install/reinstall).
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Play with my balls

Wow Russ! That's alot to go through, you've been dealing with this for a while now. Maybe Mike is right, and it's just a matter of getting the install perfectly seated after a few tries.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM

I have 3 VB's so I have 3 sets of solenoids plus the 1 brand new set i just bought. How do you verify all the o-rings are seated? They LOOK/FEEL seated.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
dot dot dot ...

I have 3 VB's so I have 3 sets of solenoids plus the 1 brand new set i just bought. How do you verify all the o-rings are seated? They LOOK/FEEL seated.
Just a game of chance/luck. Lube them with tranny fluid and they might seat where they're supposed to easier.

Can you do me a favor and verify which style of VB you have and also your build date.

Is yours like this

or like this?

This ? stemmed from this.
http://forums.maxima.org/7518612-post2290.html
Old 04-19-2010, 06:22 PM

So i swapped out my VB....again.

Before I did this, I tested the resistance and the operation of the shift solenoids themselves. I had my brand new solenoid kit @ 2 'old' kits lying in front of me, 3 total. The resistance of all the new solenoids came back within spec. The operation, however, came back with strange results. I tested the operation of each solenoid per the FSM instructions. 4 of the 5 solenoids worked, no problem. The last solenoid I tested, solenoid A, did not make a sound. I then tested the 2 old kits. They came back with the same results. What are the chances that ALL 3 solenoid kits have the same problem?

With the results being similar, and me running out of options, I made sure everything was seated and bolted as necessary. I just got in from a test drive. The car will NOT shift into 3rd. I'm at a loss, looks like its time for a new tranny.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Also, Mike...

Both the VBs that were within arms reach were the 2nd pic you posted. One of them is from an Oct. 2001 car and the other is from an 2003 GLE.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

The 2-3 flare is a valve body issue, not usually a solenoid issue. Not so sure I would have touched the solenoids if I was just doing a shift kit assuming the transmission was otherwise working properly.

I'd also check to make sure the TPS is properly adjusted, that can also cause shifting issues if out of adjustment.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Scottwax

I'd also check to make sure the TPS is properly adjusted, that can also cause shifting issues if out of adjustment.
How do we adjust that? There are 4 total (for the pedal, APPS1 & 2 / for the throttle body TPS 1 & 2). If they're not within a certain voltage range, hellloo limp mode
Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM

something else worth noting...

After I completed the swap, I started the car in neutral while on the stands. I look at my front wheels and they are spinning, not fast i'd say maybe <5mph. I try to stop it with my hand, and it doesnt.

With that said...any idea wtf would cause that?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

something else worth noting...

After I completed the swap, I started the car in neutral while on the stands. I look at my front wheels and they are spinning, not fast i'd say maybe <5mph. I try to stop it with my hand, and it doesnt.

With that said...any idea wtf would cause that?
Mine does that as well. Since our auto's work off of fluid, that means there is never an absolute cut-off.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
How do we adjust that? There are 4 total (for the pedal, APPS1 & 2 / for the throttle body TPS 1 & 2). If they're not within a certain voltage range, hellloo limp mode
Just make sure everything is in the range they are supposed to be in. Not sure how to actually adjust it if something is out of whack. Just another reason throttle cables > DBW.

When I had my Accord, I could adjust shift feel by adjusting the cable that ran from the throttle body to the transmission. By shorting the cable a bit (which would add tension to the lever on the transmission) I could make my car shift harder. Half throttle and up it would chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Just make sure everything is in the range they are supposed to be in. Not sure how to actually adjust it if something is out of whack. Just another reason throttle cables > DBW.

When I had my Accord, I could adjust shift feel by adjusting the cable that ran from the throttle body to the transmission. By shorting the cable a bit (which would add tension to the lever on the transmission) I could make my car shift harder. Half throttle and up it would chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift.
That's what is done for the 4th gen and obviously the 00-01.

If it's out of whack on these, it will run into limp mode, and that is painfully obvious.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
That's what is done for the 4th gen and obviously the 00-01.

If it's out of whack on these, it will run into limp mode, and that is painfully obvious.
Might still be possible to be off just enough to affect shift performance without popping an SES.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 AM

do any of you guys know which valves internal to the VB control the 3rd gear shift? I think one of them is stuck. The strange part is i never had a problem (other than the 2-3 flare) shifting into 3rd. As it stands now, it still wont shift into 3rd. If I give it almost full throttle, it acts likes its about to shift but revs like in neutral.

TIA
Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Got an FSM? I've seen it in there, but don't have it on me right now.

AT section, obviously
Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 AM

My bad, you want actual valves and check *****? After briefly looking over the FSM I didnt see exactly which valves or check ***** control 3rd gear. Check your Transgo instructions.

Last edited by Reizy; 04-21-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Reizy

My bad, you want actual valves and check *****? After briefly looking over the FSM I didnt see exactly which valves or check ***** control 3rd gear. Check your Transgo instructions.
Judging by that chart I'd say shift solenoid B is not shutting off for the 3rd shift.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
Judging by that chart I'd say shift solenoid B is not shutting off for the 3rd shift.
I have tried 2 different sets of solenoids, both having the same issues. The only thing I could think of is the TCM not telling to work properly. I have my old TCM that i'll switch out so this will be my final attempt before I buy another tranny. For those keeping up with this...it'll be #3.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM

Did you ever resolve your issue?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:43 AM

Yeah, I put in a new (5K miles) tranny.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Thanks for replying. I have pretty much the same issue right now. Although my circumstances a little different. I have a 1998 GLE. I finished a FULL VQ35 swap about a month ago. Discovered transmission shift problems since first test drive. Turn on the car and start driving everything shifts properly, until the very first brake. After that LIMP mode with your symptoms. Car stuck in 2d, or sometimes stuck in 3d. I have been checking everything thinking that maybe my wiring is not right but could not find any problem there. Found your post yesterday. Very helpful. Thank you for the info. Going to take it to the dealer for CONSULT diagnostics next week to confirm my suspicions.

Do you mind telling where did you source the new transmission?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 07:03 AM

I got it from car-part.com there was a local junkyard that had a few in stock, with the 5k miles one being the lowest. Here's the best part, it was $375 delivered to my house.

Good luck man, the auto trannies suck.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM

The price you got it for is a steal!!!

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 AM

Vastmax,

Does the current trans have the transgo kit in it?

I have read a couple .org members who seem to have experienced failure after the install recently. Already bought the shift kit, Trying to decide if its worth installing

THX
Old 11-21-2010, 03:44 AM

I do not have a transgo kit currently installed. If I do get another one, I will have a shop install it, that way if the tranny does fail, itll be their fault.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:18 PM

intresting