5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alignment Necessary after strut replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
You will need a flat place to set up on, or find a way to shim the low spots, and possibly still correct for a little pavement slope. None of this is difficult. Just a little fussy.

Norm
Linoleum tiles (12" x 12") make good shims.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the info. Good food for thought.
Rochester, I'll be very interested in the outcome of your alignment next week. Please do let us know.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by spock
Rochester, I'll be very interested in the outcome of your alignment next week. Please do let us know.
Will do. If I were a betting man, I'd give 4:1 odds that the alignment is just fine. But this thread taught me something, and I'm going to follow through on it.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
Will do. If I were a betting man, I'd give 4:1 odds that the alignment is just fine. But this thread taught me something, and I'm going to follow through on it.
Even if it's out, I bet it's not enough to wear out tires.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Suspension Yoda

Over time it will be...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Over time it will be...
1/10th of a degree neg. or pos. camber shouldn't.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM

One thing the guy that did my alignment told me...
Toe is the most important alignment adjustment on
the vehicle for preventing tire wear. An incorrect toe measurement of
1/8 inch is equal to driving a car one mile and having the tire dragged
sideways eleven feet. Too much toe and the tread is soon scraped off!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by jeff5347
One thing the guy that did my alignment told me...
Toe is the most important alignment adjustment on
the vehicle for preventing tire wear. An incorrect toe measurement of
1/8 inch is equal to driving a car one mile and having the tire dragged
sideways eleven feet. Too much toe and the tread is soon scraped off!
Agreed.

But what Rochester and I were discussing was the fact that his vehicle does not appear to be out of alignment, i.e. camber adjustment will not influence whether the vehicle tracks straight or not.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Agreed.

But what Rochester and I were discussing was the fact that his vehicle does not appear to be out of alignment, i.e. camber adjustment will not influence whether the vehicle tracks straight or not.
Ahhh my bad.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 PM

What about these treated paper tiangle pieces that I've read about? The manual refers to them as strut spacers. I'm wondering if I should run to the dealer and pick up a pair b4 I start.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Spock, has it crossed your mind that you're over-analyzing this project? I mean, that's easy for me to say since I just had a trusted mechanic do the work, and you're turning your own wrench. But still... treated paper triangle pieces?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Yea, I know... That's what I've heard the strut spacers refered to as in other threads here on the Org. Since I've not tackled this paticular project, I was just looking for opinions from those that have. I remember a post where it was asked what parts are common to wear with a schematic of the front strut assy. I must search for that and stop being so ****.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Well, I got the job done today. Not too bad seeing as how I've never worked on the suspension of a strut equipped vehicle b4. About 6 hrs. altogether. The spring compressers were a bit intimidating @ first, but once I completed the first one with a wrench and found it not to be a problem @ all, I attacked the rest with the air ratchet. Much faster. My front mounts were in fine condition, but replaced them anyway along with bearings. The rear mounts were a little rough, but didn't order new ones. The rear shock mount seals, (treated paper triangle pieces - Rochester), were trash. Didn't have those either, so I improvised with electical tape.
I'll replace the rear mounts and seals in the near future.
Took it for a test drive and was very pleased @ how solid and stable the car feels. Overall a very worthwhile endeavor.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:21 AM

The rear shock mount seals, (treated paper triangle pieces - Rochester), were trash. Didn't have those either, so I improvised with electical tape.
Oops. Sorry, dude.

Happy to hear it worked out well enough in the end. And impressed that you did your own work.

It's nice having that new-car ride again, eh? Very well done, Spock.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:55 AM

I rather enjoyed doing the work. The air impact was a treat compared to a breaker bar and brute force.
Car rides sooo much tighter now.
As for the mount seals, I'm going to make my own as they seem to be a dealer only item. $18 a piece even from Infiniti USA. Up here I'm sure they'll be almost double that, as everything else is.
Now I'm just waiting for the results of your alignment.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:37 AM

Now I'm just waiting for the results of your alignment.
I'm trying to fit that in with an oil change sometime this week. Soon as I know, I'll let you know.

OT, but I also need to find a better shop to do tire balancing other than my dealership. Fail about 90% of the time. It's driving me nuts.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Suspension Yoda

I often reinstall everything without the spacers if the originals are in bad shape - they don't do all that much, and have no impact on noise or anything of the sort. Even the effort of making some new ones yourself might be a moot point.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 AM

I installed my springs and struts in my garage. This was the first big thing I did on my own without a shop. Took awhile for the first but right after that I feel into a groove and got the last 3 done in the time it took to do 1. It's not a "hard" job, its just time consuming and when you are working with suspension there is always that "did I do it right" feeling. Get an alignment and enjoy the work you've done.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Guys, I had the Maxima alignment checked today at Vision Nissan of Webster, NY. It's where I bought my car almost 8 years ago. I also had an oil change and filter. That lifetime oil-change promotion has certainly been beneficial after all these years!

Anyway... they recently bought a new alignment machine, which is this $20k monster that you hook up all these laser guided sensors to. Below is the printout. You'll note that the acceptable range is listed for each measurement. Everything is within specifications, although the left-front camber is close to the extents by 1/10th of 1 degree. I was told that this is not an issue, and direct from the factory you'll get measurements like this. Adjusting it would mean using a special "camber bolt & washer", where the washer had an uneven thickness that effects camber as you torque it down. I don't really know, I'm not an engineer. The important thing is that I was also told uneven tire wear would not be perceptible as long as the camber was within specs. I figure, if they didn't want to take any more of my money, then they're probably on the level.

I was also told that since the springs are OEM, and the struts are to factory spec (Tokico HP Blues), it would have been unlikely that alignment was off.

So, it seems I just bought myself some peace of mind, for $20+ tax.

I'm good with that.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-20-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 AM

Guys, I had the Maxima alignment checked today at Vision Nissan of Webster, NY. It's where I bought my car almost 8 years ago. I also had an oil change and filter. That lifetime oil-change promotion has certainly been beneficial after all these years!

Anyway... they recently bought a new alignment machine, which is this $20k monster that you hook up all these laser guided sensors to. Below is the printout. You'll note that the acceptable range is listed for each measurement. Everything is within specifications, although the left-front camber is close to the extents by 1/10th of 1 degree. I was told that this is not an issue, and direct from the factory you'll get measurements like this. Adjusting it would mean using a special "camber bolt & washer", where the washer had an uneven thickness that effects camber as you torque it down. I don't really know, I'm not an engineer. The important thing is that I was also told uneven tire wear would not be perceptible as long as the camber was within specs. I figure, if they didn't want to take any more of my money, then they're probably on the level.

I was also told that since the springs are OEM, and the struts are to factory spec (Tokico HP Blues), it would have been unlikely that alignment was off.

I'm good with that.

You were only charged $20 for the alignment check? Whats the price if they have to fix everything? I hate alignments so much that this might be worth having done by others after I do my springs.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by merovi
You were only charged $20 for the alignment check? Whats the price if they have to fix everything? I hate alignments so much that this might be worth having done by others after I do my springs.
$20 to check, or $70 to check and fix. ($110 for AWD vehicles.)
Old 04-20-2010, 12:30 PM

$20 to check, or $70 to check and fix. ($110 for AWD vehicles.)
$70 is about the norm, looks like I'll have to endure it...man i hate alignments. at least the parts wont be rusted to hell like usual.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the update, Rochester. If I could get mine checked for $20, I'd do it in a minute. Just for kicks I think I'll phone the local dealer and ask how much. My bet is @ least $100.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

I'm good with that.

Looks like everything is in the green!!
Old 04-20-2010, 01:08 PM

Looks like everything is in the green!!
The readout is color-coded? I suppose it would be... I didn't know that.

There are a lot of things I didn't know regarding alignment, that I know (a little) more about now, thanks to this discussion.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

The readout is color-coded? I suppose it would be... I didn't know that.

There are a lot of things I didn't know regarding alignment, that I know (a little) more about now, thanks to this discussion.
It is color coded. Green means the angles are within specs. Red would mean they are not.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Looks like the springs are the rub. I was told that since I lowered my car, the geometry changed and would probably run me $100-125($89/hr). He seemed impressed that I had camber plates. I thought they were excessive, shows ya how much I know
Old 04-20-2010, 02:45 PM

So, it would seem that if your on stock springs and use O.E.M spec. struts an alignment is not necessary. I think Rochester's check-up proves this.
I called my local dealer and asked how much for an alignmement check. $99.95. I think I'll pass. I may call around to independants to see what they charge, but I doubt it'll be less than $80.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:55 PM

So, it would seem that if your on stock springs and use O.E.M spec. struts an alignment is not necessary. I think Rochester's check-up proves this.
I called my local dealer and asked how much for an alignmement check. $99.95. I think I'll pass. I may call around to independants to see what they charge, but I doubt it'll be less than $80.
Rochester's check-up supports that assumption, but proves nothing.

Still, by that reasoning, I just saved you $100, and you owe me half the cost of my alignment check. That's $10 US, Mark, which is a serious bargain by any measure. None of those funny Canadian finances, where a $20 alignment costs $100.

If you like, we could put that $10 on account.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-20-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 PM

On that car, on that day.

Plenty of cars need and get alignments without strut replacements!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 PM

How about I buy you a beer or 2 instead?
Yes, I mispoke stating that Rochester's alignment check PROVED anything.
I just feel that it's another sample of what is logcal.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

How about I buy you a beer or 2 instead?
Yes, I mispoke stating that Rochester's alignment check PROVED anything.
I just feel that it's another sample of what is logcal.
Elementary dear Spock
Old 04-21-2010, 05:39 AM

Elementary dear Spock
Elementary, Watson.

Facinating, Mr. Spock.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Elementary, my dear Watson.

Dammit, Spock!
/fixed the fix
Old 04-21-2010, 05:49 AM

/fixed the fix

I have nothing to add.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Damn it Jim
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Damn it Jim, I'm a car enthusiest, not an alignment technician!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

LOL^^^^^^^^^^^^^