5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Did the spark plugs on my 5.5 today. (PICS) Also some fun misc stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Did the spark plugs on my 5.5 today. (PICS) Also some fun misc stuff...

So I finally got around to getting all the stuff together to do the plugs.

I was trying to find my best deal on the OEM NGK Platinums and I ended up getting them from Napa. Holy inflation on the intake manifold gasket from Nissan. it was $62 Cdn, and the spark plugs were actually competitively priced (comparing to regular retail) at $20.59 a piece (CDN) from the dealer, but I got a better price through my normal guy at Napa.

I am going to add some pics of my headlight restoration wetsanding with the 3M kit. WORKS SO AWESOME. they look literally new like now. (You can see one pic below the intake mani at how bad my lights were)

Also put a new battery in the car, again Napa.... it was half price. $62 Cdn is a wicked price for a battery for this car. Cranks faster now, the old battery was tired.

If anyone was ever wondering if the VQ30 coils would work on a VQ35 or vice versa. The pic below of the 2 coils side by side is a 2K coil vs a 2K2 coil. The plugs are the same, but the VQ30 coil is about 1/2 or 3/4" longer.

The throttle body didnt look too bad to me... I didn't clean it (knowing the DBW system could be goofy)

Thanks to greghome.com for showing me that you do not have to disconnect everything to remove the mani.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:18 PM

I love Napa

Left side is the front bank, right side is the rear bank... 90k miles, original I presume...

Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM

VQ30 coil, VQ35 coil (VQ35 shorter)

Old 03-13-2010, 06:19 PM

niceee ...i ndever unplug my tps i just take it off and put it to the side...they can get messd up so easy lol ...good work..shulda slapped on spacers and a block off plate while u wer at it lol
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
niceee ...i ndever unplug my tps i just take it off and put it to the side...they can get messd up so easy lol ...good work..shulda slapped on spacers and a block off plate while u wer at it lol
It's such an easy job, I just didnt have the spacers 'n stuff here. I will probably order them once I recoup some money. Buying a used car costs a lot more than just the used car price. Spent hundreds so far just doing maintenance work and things to get the car where I want it to be... I'll start actual modding at some point

PS the Redline MT-90 is awesome.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
PS the Redline MT-90 is awesome.
Yep best stuff you will ever find.

Here's my experiance with it. In a former life I was a mechanic on a off-road racing team. One race, a 400 miler (6 laps of roughly 65 miles) the tranny case got busted on a rather large rock on lap 2. Since we were in the points race the driver/owner decided to complete as many laps as we could. We ended up first in class. After tearing down the car we sent the tranny out to get salvaged since we figured it was toast. To our surprise the tranny showed 0 wear even with going 4 laps without oil.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Yep best stuff you will ever find.

Here's my experiance with it. In a former life I was a mechanic on a off-road racing team. One race, a 400 miler (6 laps of roughly 65 miles) the tranny case got busted on a rather large rock on lap 2. Since we were in the points race the driver/owner decided to complete as many laps as we could. We ended up first in class. After tearing down the car we sent the tranny out to get salvaged since we figured it was toast. To our surprise the tranny showed 0 wear even with going 4 laps without oil.
I believe it. Most people think this stuff makes no difference, but I beg to differ.
Honestly, my car has dino oil in the crankcase, but synthetic in the trans.

Why? Synthetic in the trans you can actually feel. The engine runs fine on dino, and you're not going to "feel" a difference with syn, but the trans is worth every penny. I have Amsoil in my other car. Same story. I love a good shifting manual.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Good job, how long did it take you? I need to replace my plugs soon...

BTW, your max's engine bay looks really dirty and rusty.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:53 PM

wow man you just made that job looks like it was nothing...when i changed my spark plugs it was like the biggest betch to do cause of having to lift up the engine to get to the back plugs lol and nice write up
Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Good job, how long did it take you? I need to replace my plugs soon...

BTW, your max's engine bay looks really dirty and rusty.
Oh it is!
The joys of buying a car from the 2nd owner of it..
I love cars, but most other people just use them as tools. I'll clean it up in due time. Infact, I will probably end up doing this job again because I want to put the spacers in there and VIAS delete. I also plan on possibly swapping to 04 valve covers, but I haven't decided on that yet. (Mine are in good shape considering - just dir-tay!)

I was in the garage most of the day, but I was doing a lot of tinkering.

- Removed the mani, making note of where everything went
- Remove each coil, cleaned it up, made sure each plug was gapped, inserted one by one, put anti-seize (tiny dab) on each of the coil retaining bolts.
- Removed and cleaned the PCV valve with brake cleaner (Nissan does not stock this, they claim they never need to change them)
- Cleaned up the UIM, and LIM and put the gasket on, slapped it all together
- Installed my new Napa Gold air filter
- Installed my new Napa POWER battery (way faster cranking now)
- Topped up my oil, topped up my washer fluid
- Started it up and let it run til the fan came on
- Did the 3M wetsand kit to my headlights (dramatic results, I should have taken pics, but it was much later)

Tomorrow I am tackling the interior bulbs. The HVAC is partially out, and my drivers side heated seat switch is out.

All said and done I spent around 5 hours in the garage. I love working on my car!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo215
wow man you just made that job looks like it was nothing...when i changed my spark plugs it was like the biggest betch to do cause of having to lift up the engine to get to the back plugs lol and nice write up
Haha thanks, its not really a write up per se, just sharing my daily adventure.

I'm no stranger to cars. I've been driving old beaters now for a couple years and sometimes I'm repairing them 3 or 4 times a month to keep them going.

Knowing how to do anything you need to do on your own car is a life saver... I hate the thought of spending $ on car payments, but if you cant fix your own car, and its more than a few years old, you might as well shell out for something with warranty.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:32 AM

when you did your MTF did you just remove that side plug and let it drain or what? i need to do mine
Old 03-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A couple tips:

1) Before changing your MDF, drive your car around for 5-10 min to get the tranny fluid warm/hot so that it flows out easy.

2) Before draining it out, loosen the fill plug so you know you'll be able to get fluid back in the tranny.

3) Finally, for the MT-90 or whatever you are using, put the bottles in some hot water for 5 min so it flows more easily through the funnel/tubing into the tranny.

Pete
Old 03-14-2010, 10:06 AM

Great job. Gotta do my plugs, too! Soon!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM

also good to see sum1 doin their own work on their ca...i dont let any1 touch mine at all... also ima change my trnny oil soon...gotta scrap up some cash first lol
Old 03-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Maxfli
A couple tips:

1) Before changing your MDF, drive your car around for 5-10 min to get the tranny fluid warm/hot so that it flows out easy.

2) Before draining it out, loosen the fill plug so you know you'll be able to get fluid back in the tranny.

3) Finally, for the MT-90 or whatever you are using, put the bottles in some hot water for 5 min so it flows more easily through the funnel/tubing into the tranny.

Pete
just for reference, which one is the fill plug?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
just for reference, which one is the fill plug?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97

wow your tranny is so clean!
Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM

u shulda paint under ur car lik i did lol
Old 03-14-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
also good to see sum1 doin their own work on their ca...i dont let any1 touch mine at all... also ima change my trnny oil soon...gotta scrap up some cash first lol
I only take it in for stuff I don't have the tools to do.
I had a shop fix my exhaust, I don't have a torch.

I also take it in for an alignment because I dont have a rack :P
Old 03-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
x2 lol. thanks alot folks, this helps a ton. ill do this early this wk
Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Whoever told you there isn't a replacement PCV for a 5.5 gen was wrong. I got a new one at the dealer last summer.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater

It was a brand new tranny at the time 10/07 when this picture was taken. Part of the deal in buying the car was that they replace the grinding tranny under their warranty. It still grinds a tiny bit in 2nd/3rd. Ok back on topic

p.s. Make sure you dont take the fill plug for granted when you tighten it. Mine actually came loose and dripped a little before I noticed a puddle.

Last edited by crazy97; 03-14-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Whoever told you there isn't a replacement PCV for a 5.5 gen was wrong. I got a new one at the dealer last summer.
They didn't tell me there isn't a replacement, they just told me they don't stock it. I called every parts place in town. I could not get a new PCV valve. I would have to order it in and it would several days or a week. I may order one and just change it still. I did clean mine and got it rattling though. (It was stuck, prior to cleaning)
Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by crazy97
It was a brand new tranny at the time 10/07 when this picture was taken. Part of the deal in buying the car was that they replace the grinding tranny under their warranty. It still grinds a tiny bit in 2nd/3rd. Ok back on topic

p.s. Make sure you dont take the fill plug for granted when you tighten it. Mine actually came loose and dripped a little before I noticed a puddle.
you mean make sure i put enough 'cahunas' in the tightening process to ensure its tightened?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:18 PM

you mean make sure i put enough 'cahunas' in the tightening process to ensure its tightened?
Yeah, Make sure its very snug, not like hercules tight, but pretty tight. (Yeah, I'm so accurate)
Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM

i wanted to do my plugs too but i heard you can go 100k mile on the vq35 and i heard its a pain in the *** to do as well...im about to hit 60k but like to keep a maintained car knowing what was done being im the 2nd owner too....
Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by aNtHoNyNoZ
i wanted to do my plugs too but i heard you can go 100k mile on the vq35 and i heard its a pain in the *** to do as well...im about to hit 60k but like to keep a maintained car knowing what was done being im the 2nd owner too....
It's probably not time yet to do your plugs honestly. I was at about 90k miles, and from the guy running 87 octane gas, mixed with poor fuel mileage, it was just something I wanted to finish and write off my list.

It's not a hard job, if you do decide to do it though. Just make sure you take some extra steps while in there like inspecting things while you can see them (PCV valve for example)
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Does intake need to come off on the 3.5 for spark plug and/or coil change?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM

In other words, torgue it right. What's the torque on the plug?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by sontakke
yup.. for the back 3 anyway...it sucks..

but..the front 3 are right under the engine cover and have great access...any shadetree mechanic prob could do the front 3 in 10 mins or less..
Old 03-16-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sontakke
That's the only reason I took the intake manifold off.. Otherwise it would've stayed there until I got my spacers/vias delete

Watch soon for pics of my rear disc brake service. (I got new calipers, pads, and rotors to put on this weekend)
Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
That's the only reason I took the intake manifold off.. Otherwise it would've stayed there until I got my spacers/vias delete

Watch soon for pics of my rear disc brake service. (I got new calipers, pads, and rotors to put on this weekend)
cool

what about the more important part though. . . the front?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
cool

what about the more important part though. . . the front?
They're not seized up like the rears, as far as I can tell!
Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 AM

Well, not QUITE...

Originally Posted by mist max2000
yup.. for the back 3 anyway...it sucks..

but..the front 3 are right under the engine cover and have great access...any shadetree mechanic prob could do the front 3 in 10 mins or less..
Technically, on the 2002 at least, you can change the rear one on the driver side end without removing the intake manifold (I just did it, but cannot finish the job since I'm awaiting my gasket shipment for the intake manifold). I @ least had 4 of the 6 new ones in for my smog check(!) Thankfully, passed (California, the toughest) emissions test no sweat, notwithstanding my 108,000 miles!