5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SHort height shifter problem??

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 AM

SHort height shifter problem??

so.. im trying to take off the black sleeve part off the shifter rod, the black plastic part we pull up on for the reverse, how do i get that off? i see the pin and spring holding it in there but i dont know how to get them out? any help would be appreciated. the pciture below is the part off already with the pins out. but i cant figure it out... anyone?

Last edited by 914Max914; 03-03-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:04 AM

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 AM

You need a punch to remove the dowell pins. That's it. I don't recomend tapered punches to remove them. Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Dude, no need to bump three threads to ask the same question. I don't know the answer from the picture, and haven't had mine apart to look at. But since you obviously found THREE threads about the subject, I would suggest you read them PM one of the members who actually did the mod. It may help since they have direct experience with it.

NOTE: From the picture, my best guess is that you knock them out with a punch. Again, I haven't looked at it, but it appears the pin goes all the way through. If that is the case, put it in a vice (maybe not needed), get a small punch (precision screw driver might work), and gently tap with a hammer till you get enough out you can pull on it with pliers. Not to sound bad, but if you can't figure this part out, the project may be a bit beyond your scope of abilities.

EDIT: Majesticmaxima beat me to it.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Toolie

you also have to drill a hole in the reverse lockout or the top pin won't push through.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by pionkej
Dude, no need to bump three threads to ask the same question. I don't know the answer from the picture, and haven't had mine apart to look at. But since you obviously found THREE threads about the subject, I would suggest you read them PM one of the members who actually did the mod. It may help since they have direct experience with it.

NOTE: From the picture, my best guess is that you knock them out with a punch. Again, I haven't looked at it, but it appears the pin goes all the way through. If that is the case, put it in a vice (maybe not needed), get a small punch (precision screw driver might work), and gently tap with a hammer till you get enough out you can pull on it with pliers. Not to sound bad, but if you can't figure this part out, the project may be a bit beyond your scope of abilities.

EDIT: Majesticmaxima beat me to it.

thanks alot for the information everyone and what may be obvious to some are not to others pionkej, the reason i bumped so many threads was because i needed to finish today because i dont have a spare on the car, therefor i couldnt drive.. well with the help from all i finished it. it was pretty easy besides the fact i didnt know wether to punch out the pins or screw them out and i didnt plan on breaking anything because i don have a extra shifter. not beyond my scope of abilities at all, i did most my mods my-self with a few pointers from the org. including my headers. well thanks to all
Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you. I honestly wasn't trying to be rude, and I understand how sometimes even basic things can escape us or we want to double check before possibly damaging something (especially if it is your only car, only part, or both in your case). I also know to do this properly you need to do certain things more advanced than removing the pin, so I made a comment I felt was constructive. Again, I wasn't trying to be rude, but trying to be helpful before you got in over your head. It appears I was wrong in that comment and I am glad it worked out for you as it is a mod I might end up doing in the future as well (in the whole interior, the high shift **** is the ONLY thing that bugs me...well that and the quality of aftermarket dash kits for head units).
Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Also, did you cut the shifter in half and re-weld or did you cut the top off and thread the bar down further? Just curious what you did because I would rather do the latter but read in some posts the rod is tapered and possibly difficult to do.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM
Toolie

the 6 spd rod is not tapered, but it is hard to thread with a die. Die's have to be the worst way to thread anything. They are supposed to be used for chasing a bad thread.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
the 6 spd rod is not tapered, but it is hard to thread with a die. Die's have to be the worst way to thread anything. They are supposed to be used for chasing a bad thread.
This is true, but many times you can start with a die that is too large and "etch" the piece and then work your way down. It does make the process longer but also less likely to walk on you. I would think in this case the biggest problem would be that steel is likely tempered which is hard to work with.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 AM
Toolie

it's very similar to thompson rod.