5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

mechanic smoked in my car!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:45 PM

mechanic smoked in my car!!!!

So pissed. Definately don't go to this guy if yur in Pittsburgh. Bash Auto Repair. So hard to get the smell off leather, was wondering if u guys ever had experience with this kind of thing?? I can't stand the smell of my own car this SUCKS. Had to drive in the freezing cold with the windows down. I'm goin to make this a-hole pay for it or else I'm going to go out of my effing way to ruin his rep!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 PM
RR5

Quick post it on yelp.com! Try washing the leather with baking soda water on towels, then towel dry.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM

I'll wait to see if he agrees to pay or not... still won't change the fact that I'm not going to see this guy again
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM

Let em pay to detail your car
Old 02-22-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I'll do that!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Had that issue as well... Its annoying, wish they would have at least opened the windows or something
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 PM

Bash Auto Repair? ...... Bash?..... Dam, the name says it all huh?! Sorry to hear that! good luck!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Oh wow, That sucks. This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where he gets B.O [body odor] on his car and he can't take it off. He even tries to trade the car in but they don't wanna take it because of the smell. Good luck! Spray a whole febreeze bottle in your car, the carpet, the seats, under the seats, any place you can think of.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:24 PM

This happened to me before. I took the car back and had them take it to a place and detail it. Cost them 50 bucks.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:48 PM

I would have whipped his A$$
Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
I wish I could go to meet in the Washington DC area
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 PM

You sound real mad about it, he didint burn A hole in it so just breathe and relax......The smell will go away
Old 02-22-2010, 10:41 PM
RR5

Relax? Would you relax if a friend hopped in your car with muddy boots? With mud all over the place and just smiled and said "Relax, I'll help you clean it."

@ mohakou You may just need to leave the windows down overnight. Try to hit the carpets with fabreeze also, every little inch of carpet you can reach with the bottle.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by mohakou
So pissed. Definately don't go to this guy if yur in Pittsburgh. Bash Auto Repair. So hard to get the smell off leather, was wondering if u guys ever had experience with this kind of thing?? I can't stand the smell of my own car this SUCKS. Had to drive in the freezing cold with the windows down. I'm goin to make this a-hole pay for it or else I'm going to go out of my effing way to ruin his rep!!
Calm down. Whatever smoke smell you detected is NOT permeated in your leather as you're implying. You sound like one of those types who smells a hint of cigarette smoke and forces little baby coughs and schedules an appointment for a chest x-ray. That's pretty lame of the mechanic if he did smoke in your car, but the smell was probably gone as soon as you drove around with your windows rolled. Now if he burned holes, ashed all over the car, or put the cigarette out in your ashtray, that would be a little different. But if you simply smelled a hint of cigarettes then it was either because he smelled like an ash tray and was sitting in your car for an extended period or there was a little smoke lingering in the cabin. I'd be more concerned about potential scratches, scuffs and marks caused by a greasy mechanic sitting on the leather seats.

Last edited by Hectic; 02-22-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by RR5
Relax? Would you relax if a friend hopped in your car with muddy boots? With mud all over the place and just smiled and said "Relax, I'll help you clean it."

@ mohakou You may just need to leave the windows down overnight. Try to hit the carpets with fabreeze also, every little inch of carpet you can reach with the bottle.
What are you his house keeper
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Calm down. Whatever smoke smell you detected is NOT permeated in your leather as you're implying. Ya sound like one of those types who smells a hint of cigarette smoke and forces little baby coughs and schedules an appointment for a chest x-ray. That's pretty lame of the mechanic if he did smoke in your car, but the smell was probably gone as soon as you drove around with your windows down. Now if he burned holes, ashed all over the car, or put the cigarette out in your ashtray, that would be a little different. But if you simply smelled a hint of cigarettes then it was either because he smelled like an ash tray and was sitting in your car for an extended period or there was still some smoke lingering in the cabin. I'd be more concerned about potential scratches, scuffs and marks caused by a greasy mechanic sitting on your leather seats.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:15 PM
RR5

Just a second, the vehicle I handed over for repairs belongs to me. Should I decide I do not want the smell of cigarette smoke inside my vehicle, it's my decision to make alone.

This is the same crap when I get my car back and short A$$ mechanics f#(@$&^ with my driver seat position.

By your logic, if you invite someone over to your house, the invited guest can bring say 30 friends over for a nice party in your home. Same logic right? So what there's more people, we didn't break anything, steal anything and we'll be gone in a couple of hours (no less than 5).
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 PM

dude. calm down. it'll be gone. yes, the mechanic f-ed up. get him to detail your car, and get the stick out of ur ***.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
Just a second, the vehicle I handed over for repairs belongs to me. Should I decide I do not want the smell of cigarette smoke inside my vehicle, it's my decision to make alone. This is the same crap when I get my car back and short A$$ mechanics f#(@$&^ with my driver seat position.
i fully agree, there is no reason a mechanic should smoke in an a customer car, its not his or hers to do whatever they want in its just disrespectful. id take it back and tell them u want it detailed for free while u watch so they dont take ur car around the block sideways at 70
Old 02-23-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by bigpopaj369
id take it back and tell them u want it detailed for free while u watch so they dont take ur car around the block sideways at 70
I wouldn't let them detail it. I'd take it somewhere else.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Its very likely the mechanic didn't smoke in your car. He probably had a smoke earlier then sat in your car. I worked at a dealership where this was a common complaint. I'd push for a free interior detail and let them know you thought the smell would dissipate but it hasn't. I'd be pissed too. Another thing you might try is a product called o-zone. Turn your blower on high and spray some into the vents (by the windshield wipers). I doubt its permanently in the leather.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey OP every year I use this product to freshen up the interior of my i35, for $8 a can you might consider giving it a try:

http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-orange-citrus.html

good luck!

Last edited by mrj7500; 02-24-2010 at 02:27 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Domf3
Its very likely the mechanic didn't smoke in your car. He probably had a smoke earlier then sat in your car.
That's right. In 2010, not 1970, so it's very unlikely he actually smoked in your car. He's probably a heavy smoker and everything he owns reeks. I know firsthand... it was one of the things that convinced me to quit my pack-a-day habit 16 years ago.

As to getting all angry and expecting him to pay for detailing... he's already lost you as a customer, and has no incentive to humor you. At this point, the learning experience is yours, not his.

Get some air freshener, wipe down your leather, leave the windows open overnight. Listen to some Floyd and chill. If this event is really the trauma that you're representing it as, then your life is pretty darn good.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by mohakou
I'm with you man, I can't stand cigarette smoke. There is some recourse here, however.

First thing you need to note: It is not illegal for a mechanic to smoke in your car when you have legally left it in his possession. He could smoke a carton in your car and laugh while you complain. So don't bother calling the police.

Secondly, he IS liable for the car and if damage came to your property through means that could be determined as his negligence or wrecklessness, then you have yourself a lawsuit my friend. If the car is substantially damaged from his smoking habbit and he did smoke in your car, then that would fall into this category.

The first thing you would need to do is take the car to a reputable detailer, and explain the situation to them. You need to make sure that they are either certified by a governing body in the detection of smoke damage, or have a substantial written history on hand to prove that they have been otherwise praised for said ability. If you have difficulty finding such a detailer, I'm afraid you will have no case and will lose your lawsuit. There is another option, however:

File an insurance claim. Insurance adjusters are trained in detecting and assessing the amount of damage that the smoke has done to your car. Also, they have a long list of reputable, certified vendors that can repair said damage to send you to. The bottom line, however, is this: Chances are the cost of repair will not exceed your insurance deductible, and you will have to pay the cost out of pocket. Be sure to get a copy of the receipt AND the insurance report.

Now that you have your ammunition, it's time for small claims! You'll have to go to your local small claims court and submit the complaint. There is a fee assosciated with this, though it is by law considered petty (usually around 30 bucks). You will then recieve a letter in the mail outlining your court date and other details. Justice will be served!

On court day, remember to show up with the insurance report, receipt from the shop, and your video evidence of the mechanic cackling away while he puffed down cancer sticks in your car. If you forget the video, your case is no longer air-tight, and you'll probably have a 50-50 shot at actually winning (depending on how good of a liar the mechanic is). Present your evidence to the judge, and the the judge will rule.

If the judge rules in your favor, be sure to pump your fist in the air as you leave the courtroom as you now have your long-awaited well earned sweet revenge. Generally, the court will give the mechanic anywhere from 30-90 days to pay you, so you may have to be patient.

If the guy stiffs you, you can take him back to court. IF he shows up, they'll order him to pay you. In 30-90 days. Rinse, repeat until they actually start garnishing his wages. If he's still employed by then.

Either way, you shall have your victory!

If any of this seems a little bit dramatic, far-fetched, ridiculous, or otherwise unrealistic...

Then chances are you really are whining about something that isn't quite as big of a deal as you're making out to be.

Cliffs: The mechanic was rude, but fixed your car. Go to a more considerate mecahnic next time

Profit??

Last edited by Rydicule; 02-23-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 AM

Everyone's saying relax, it's just a little smell because obviously they haven't been placed in that position. It happened to me once and I went psycho and did everything I could to get the smell off. I couldn't leave my windows rolled down here in Los Angeles County because I'll get that $%^T stolen within three minutes, lol It pisses you off because you do all you can throughout your period of ownership to keep it as smoke - free as you can and you take it to a mechanic over the weekend, and all you've strived for was now thrown to the trash. I bet the people who have said relax, are smokers themselves so they don't see anything wrong about it.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Febreeze baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by indymaxima
Febreeze baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lmfao
Old 02-23-2010, 10:23 AM
RR5

It's far easier to bring the car to the dealership for an extensive interior detail + odor elimination. Then take the receipt to the mechanic and explain you had to pay for this interior detailing due to the unwanted smell of cigarette smoke present in your vehicle and would like the mechanic to pay it SINCE the smell became apparent after leaving the vehicle in the mechanics care.

It's still funny how many people give this thread a read and laugh at the replies. Point made simple, what is acceptable for YOU is not entirely acceptable for another person. Don't go cramming your ideals and morals down MY throat.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:30 AM

i remember when i took my car to get some tires mounted and when i got home i realized that the mech had spilled soda all on my seat! I called back up there and he told me to go to nissan and get it fully detailed inside and bring me the bill and he paid for it....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 AM
RR5

Job done, from Videomug.com

Originally Posted by Videojug.com
You will need
•white distilled vinegar
•2 small towels
•2 plastic bowls

Step 1: Get Soaking
Put one towel in each of plastic bowl and pour in white distilled vinegar until the towels are soaked. Using white distilled vinegar is safe, highly effective and very inexpensive. If you have a bigger car and really strong odors, you can use as many bowls filled with vinegar-soaked towels as you feel necessary.

Step 2: Location Is Everything
Put your plastic bowls with the vinegar-soaked towels near the ashtray and in the backseat and leave them overnight. The vinegar will absorb the cigarette odors from your car and when you remove the bowls, the smell of vinegar and the old cigarette smoke will be gone.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...-from-your-car

Last edited by RR5; 02-23-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Add link to video.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by RR5
It's still funny how many people give this thread a read and laugh at the replies. Point made simple, what is acceptable for YOU is not entirely acceptable for another person. Don't go cramming your ideals and morals down MY throat.
Not only that, every person has SOMETHING that people do to cars that irratates them. Imagine that being done to your car.

Smokers are not allowed in my car. Period. Just because you dont smoke IN my car doesnt mean you wont leave my car smelling like an ashtray. Trust me I smoked two packs a day for five plus years. My kid rides in my car and I wont subject that crap on him. If he so chooses to do so when he is of age, then so be it.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:00 PM

i smoke in my car all the time. a lot of times during cold weathe my window is barely cracked open just to ash outside. leave the windows down while driving, or parked outside your house or something, spray the carpets down with air freshner maybe some febreeze, get a cheap little airfreshner and hang it off the rear view mirror, and the smell will be gone. if you leave your windows up dont expect the smell to leave your car.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

At least he didn't take a big dump in the trunk..LOL!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's right. In 2010, not 1970, so it's very unlikely he actually smoked in your car. He's probably a heavy smoker and everything he owns reeks. I know firsthand... it was one of the things that convinced me to quit my pack-a-day habit 16 years ago.

As to getting all angry and expecting him to pay for detailing... he's already lost you as a customer, and has no incentive to humor you. At this point, the learning experience is yours, not his.

Get some air freshener, wipe down your leather, leave the windows open overnight. Listen to some Floyd and chill. If this event is really the trauma that you're representing it as, then your life is pretty darn good.
Life Lessons

By: Rochester

In all seriousness, though, I love reading the responses you have to some of these threads. They always crack me up.

Edit: BTW OP, the best way to get rid of the smell is to rent what's called an ozone machine from a local detailer or upholstery place. It'll leave the car smelling brand new.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 02-23-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blaque_Knight2002
I would have whipped his A$$
x2!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by soto2635
x2!!!
Really don't see how that will get rid of the smell. But to each his own I suppose.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by SLCPunk267
In all seriousness, though, I love reading the responses you have to some of these threads. They always crack me up.
This may be the first time I've recommended Pink Floyd for therapeutic purposes, but I stand by that advice.

Trying to get your way with an unruly mechanic is so-o-o pointless. They just don't care. The fault is the OP's for not vetting him properly. In fact, that's probably why he's so angry. Seriously, do you think John McCain sleeps well at night?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Had this happen to me AND they left ashes in ashtray AND McDonalds wrappers in back seat. I didnt even drive car out of the lot, got the Service Manager, General Manager and shop Foreman and had them give me a rental for them to detail my car. Mechanic was fired on the spot and I never went back.

So why did you accept the vehicle if smell was so offensive?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM

I smoke, but I DO NOT smoke in my car.
I smoked in it a few times when i first got it, but all i did to get the smoke smell out of my car is, vacuum and shampoo the carpets and cleaned and amourall the leather. and i keep a light, fresh smelling air freshener in there.
and when possible, leave the windows down, especially on sunny windy days.
i dont know if you have already done this or not, but thats all i can tell you.
and plus i would ruin his rep just for doing it.
that brings down the value of the car.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Wasn't expecting all these responses lol. I've been driving with the windows down since and have kept windows down and vents open overnight, smell still kind of lingering a little. Will febreze it up and hope for the best. Hopefully if yelp.com is any good this mechanic will have lost more than one customer!

Quick Reply: mechanic smoked in my car!!!!