5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Finally figured out front-end clunk!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM

Finally figured out front-end clunk!

I took my 2000 SE to my mechanic today and he replaced front sway-bar stabilizer links for me. Didn't feel like doing any work myself this time. My infamous front end clunk over bumps is finally gone! Hope maybe this will help some of you guys with this front end clunk problem.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Nice! I haven't had any front end clunks on mine (yet) but it's always good to know what others have done to fix these kinds of problems. Thanks for the heads up
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM

my front end clunk was from the previous owner's hack job.

strut bolts were loose and would clunk over any little crack
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 PM

I have the clunk too. Ging to replace the suspension and the strut mounts which I think is the culprit but if not ill do the links. Awesome stuff man, glad you figured it out and thanks for postin up
Old 02-22-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by GoPack
I took my 2000 SE to my mechanic today and he replaced front sway-bar stabilizer links for me. Didn't feel like doing any work myself this time. My infamous front end clunk over bumps is finally gone! Hope maybe this will help some of you guys with this front end clunk problem.

Now when you say "clunking," do you mean the deep banging in the front end that makes you think your cars going to fall apart? and the severity and noise of the clunking depends on how effed up the road is? lol
Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Nevermore
I have the clunk too. Ging to replace the suspension and the strut mounts which I think is the culprit but if not ill do the links. Awesome stuff man, glad you figured it out and thanks for postin up

dont do it. i had both front struts replaced and it didnt do anything. i was pissed
Old 02-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by tooreckless00
dont do it. i had both front struts replaced and it didnt do anything. i was pissed
so you recommend doing the sway bar links first?
Old 02-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for the update. I'm going to be doing some front end work and will put these on the list.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM

im hoping my minor front end clunk is my strut mounts, i just did the struts recently and had to use the old mounts for a little longer.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:57 PM
down with Bing

I had this problem. Lots of noise up there. I replaced everything short of the rack. Struts, swaybar links, ball joints, and inner and outer tierods. I found driverside ball joint had some play in it and the passenger side inner tie rod had some play as well.

Car rides and drives very nice now and no front end noise
Old 02-23-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by bigpopaj369
im hoping my minor front end clunk is my strut mounts, i just did the struts recently and had to use the old mounts for a little longer.
Definitely try the sway bar links first. Get the moog end links from Rockauto.com. They are about $15 each. Its a lot less expensive than suspension and/or mounts and fairly easy to replace (unless the nuts are rusted on there good).

And while you are in there, you should get some ES swaybar bushings and put them in.

To the OP and the other newbs, try searching next time. There probably 100 threads about front end clunk, and the MOOG endlinks are mentioned in everyone of them.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:42 AM

For those who are not familiar with the end links check out this image from rockauto:

http://bit.ly/9AJklo
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Just ordered Mood endlinks from RockAuto and ES bushings for the Swaybar. Will get them installed at my next oil change.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:34 AM

oh yes! i've been so depressed with the clunking noises making me feel my cars going to fall apart that i was thinking of selling it! i had replaced struts and strut mounts, but nothing changed. i hope this fixes the noise for me too!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM

nvm found em.

Last edited by Nevermore; 02-23-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM

I got quote $920 to do my front struts today to take care of this front end clunk and over $300 to do the links and bushings....and they cost $15 each......arghh!!!!! I HATE REPAIR SHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by natew51
I got quote $920 to do my front struts today to take care of this front end clunk and over $300 to do the links and bushings....and they cost $15 each......arghh!!!!! I HATE REPAIR SHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ridiculous! Pep boys quoted me $990 to replace all 4 struts... screw that, I picked up a lightly used set of Tein SS' for $975 and a friend is willing to install them. Much better.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by vball_max
Definitely try the sway bar links first. Get the moog end links from Rockauto.com. They are about $15 each. Its a lot less expensive than suspension and/or mounts and fairly easy to replace (unless the nuts are rusted on there good).

And while you are in there, you should get some ES swaybar bushings and put them in.

To the OP and the other newbs, try searching next time. There probably 100 threads about front end clunk, and the MOOG endlinks are mentioned in everyone of them.
Does anyone have pics or how to do's on this, thanks.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I'd like to see that as well. I was thinking about buying a set of ES FSB bushings, but when I was under the car doing an oil change I looked around and could not even see the stabilizer bar bushings, let alone figure out how to change them.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
I'd like to see that as well. I was thinking about buying a set of ES FSB bushings, but when I was under the car doing an oil change I looked around and could not even see the stabilizer bar bushings, let alone figure out how to change them.
I'm with you, I'm good at some stuff but when it comes to suspension stuff not so good! I hope someone has something for us to see/use!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:00 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Does anyone have pics or how to do's on this, thanks.
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
I'm with you, I'm good at some stuff but when it comes to suspension stuff not so good! I hope someone has something for us to see/use!
Order up! Link from the 5th gen stickys. It's for the sway bar bushings, but you'll also see a picture of the sway bar links(photo showing where to place the jack). The links are pretty straight-forward once you see them. Note: Don't forget a preemptive spray of PB Blaster before you attempt to remove the hardware on the links.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:19 PM

Just follow the sway bar itself and you'll be sure to find the bushing a little way in, held down by a metal bracket with two bolts.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 PM

only pic i could find, look at the yellow paint, thats the bar, follow it you can see the bushing.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 PM

Is this clunk sound pertaining to when you turn all the way and hit a slight bump ans a loud clunk comrs from the front? Or is that something else?
Old 11-06-2010, 11:56 PM

My car has always had the infamous "front end clunk". For the last 4+ years I've just lived with it as after I replaced the struts, I guess I just didn't care anymore. I'm now to the point though that I want to finally fix this problem for good. I got under the car and felt every joint I could. Ball joints, tie rod ends, stabilizer bar links, basically anything that moves. The only joint I could move by hand were the stabilizer bar links. They felt loose to me, that is they easily moved side to side but not up and down. All other joints had no play at all no matter how hard I tried to move them. Does this mean that the stabilizer links are shot, or is this normal?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:24 AM

Can't answer your question for sure, kbo, but I would say risking $30 + shipping is not really a risk at all! The end-links will go bad, eventually, so if you replace them and the clunk is still there, well, that just helped you narrow down the list of culprits (on to the engine mounts..!).

I keep forgetting that those grease-able links are so cheap! Two $15 parts and the scary "I AM GOING TO EXPLODE ON THIS PAVEMENT" noise goes away? Yes, please. I know my engine mounts are shot, though, and am dreading the removal and pressing process. Sigh. Maybe fixing the clunk will help cheer me up enough to engage in 12 hours labor to pop out those shredded suckers.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by kbohip
My car has always had the infamous "front end clunk". For the last 4+ years I've just lived with it as after I replaced the struts, I guess I just didn't care anymore. I'm now to the point though that I want to finally fix this problem for good. I got under the car and felt every joint I could. Ball joints, tie rod ends, stabilizer bar links, basically anything that moves. The only joint I could move by hand were the stabilizer bar links. They felt loose to me, that is they easily moved side to side but not up and down. All other joints had no play at all no matter how hard I tried to move them. Does this mean that the stabilizer links are shot, or is this normal?
To answer your guestion... Yes, it is normal for the link to 'twist' when there is no load on them. However with the amounts of load throughout suspension components, being able to move them by hand really isn't the best way to determine if the sway bar links need to be replaced. A visual inspection is better, but even then it helps to have previously seen worn out sway bar links so you know what to look for. Usually on higher mileage vehicles the sway bar links and bushings get replaced first because they are cake to change, fairly cheap, and often the first suspension component to wear out. I say change them if they have high mileage or you live in an area with dilapidated roads.

Originally Posted by Eirik
...I would say risking $30 + shipping is not really a risk at all! The end-links will go bad, eventually, so if you replace them and the clunk is still there, well, that just helped you narrow down the list of culprits (on to the engine mounts..!)....
Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eirik
Can't answer your question for sure, kbo, but I would say risking $30 + shipping is not really a risk at all! The end-links will go bad, eventually, so if you replace them and the clunk is still there, well, that just helped you narrow down the list of culprits (on to the engine mounts..!).

I keep forgetting that those grease-able links are so cheap! Two $15 parts and the scary "I AM GOING TO EXPLODE ON THIS PAVEMENT" noise goes away? Yes, please. I know my engine mounts are shot, though, and am dreading the removal and pressing process. Sigh. Maybe fixing the clunk will help cheer me up enough to engage in 12 hours labor to pop out those shredded suckers.
Originally Posted by nelledge
To answer your guestion... Yes, it is normal for the link to 'twist' when there is no load on them. However with the amounts of load throughout suspension components, being able to move them by hand really isn't the best way to determine if the sway bar links need to be replaced. A visual inspection is better, but even then it helps to have previously seen worn out sway bar links so you know what to look for. Usually on higher mileage vehicles the sway bar links and bushings get replaced first because they are cake to change, fairly cheap, and often the first suspension component to wear out. I say change them if they have high mileage or you live in an area with dilapidated roads.

Thanks for the great replies guys. Yea, I'm just going to go ahead and replace the stabilizer links, along with the stabilizer bar bushings pretty soon. I too along with Eric have to replace my motor mounts and I'm not looking forward to that either. I still haven't decided if I'm just going with stock mounts or ES. I'm just not looking forward to all of the labor if I go with ES.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Passenger engine mount will make that clunk noise and have you thinking it's the strut mounts!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Order up! Link from the 5th gen stickys. It's for the sway bar bushings, but you'll also see a picture of the sway bar links(photo showing where to place the jack). The links are pretty straight-forward once you see them. Note: Don't forget a preemptive spray of PB Blaster before you attempt to remove the hardware on the links.
Thanks man!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Passenger engine mount will make that clunk noise and have you thinking it's the strut mounts!
Yeah I know, I did that about 9k miles ago......Now this...ughh
Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 PM

Also check the stabilizer bar bushings where it attaches to the subframe.
I replaced those on my dads' 2K and it totally solved his front end clunk. End links didnt even need replacing.

For those of you who are still searching for the clunk....
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM

I've got to change mine as well.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Moog is sold at Advance Auto Parts... They're all over the southeast. If they're in your area, check em out, they sell alot of import parts.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 AM

so you recommend doing the sway bar links first?
YES!
This is by FAR the easiest and Cheapest replacement part in the entire front suspension.

It only requires removal of the front wheels to get at them.

This is LITERALLY the weakest LINK in the front end.

gr
Old 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sway Bar Bushings

All,

I too have this slight knocking noise going on in the front right side of my 2000 Maxima. I had a lot of front end work done including my subframe and new end links. One of the things not replaced were the sway bar bushings. The noise has gone down a lot but is still lingering. The mechanice that did the work ended up putting in Duralast end links. Had I read these threads before hand I would have requested he put in Moog end links. That being said can someone answer these 2 questions for me:

1. Should I replace the newly replaced Duralast end links with Moog end links since they are highly recommended?
2. Could it be that I simply need to replace my sway bar bushings? Could those be causing the little noise thats left?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by nolalde
All,

I too have this slight knocking noise going on in the front right side of my 2000 Maxima. I had a lot of front end work done including my subframe and new end links. One of the things not replaced were the sway bar bushings. The noise has gone down a lot but is still lingering. The mechanice that did the work ended up putting in Duralast end links. Had I read these threads before hand I would have requested he put in Moog end links. That being said can someone answer these 2 questions for me:

1. Should I replace the newly replaced Duralast end links with Moog end links since they are highly recommended?
2. Could it be that I simply need to replace my sway bar bushings? Could those be causing the little noise thats left?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
you new end links should be just fine
again swap out the sway bar bushings with some from energy suspension first. that seems to be the noise maker!!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:58 AM

read my sig, this has been covered time and time again