5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 Maxima not staying started

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 Maxima not staying started

Alright, so this is a long story.. I had to change the clutch and the crankcase main seal on my 03 Maxima 3.5L V6 6 speed manual. That all went fine. We slammed the ***** back together and go to start it, and it only stays started when the throttle is floored at only about 300 rpm. Checked spark plugs, grounds, pinched fuel lines, blown fuses, MAF, and fuel rail is still getting fuel at a good pressure. We ran codes but we only got one that was P0462, which is a fuel level sensor A low circuit input, but we figure that that only came up because my cluster is ****ed and the fuel guage always reads full and speedo is ****ed. I'm fresh out of ideas and just need help.

Last edited by Wonder_balls; 08-09-2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 08-09-2016, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wonder_balls
Alright, so this is a long story.. I had to change the clutch and the crankcase main seal on my 03 Maxima 3.5L V6 6 speed manual. That all went fine. We slammed the ***** back together and go to start it, and it only stays started when the throttle is floored at only about 300 rpm. Checked spark plugs, grounds, pinched fuel lines, blown fuses, MAF, and fuel rail is still getting fuel at a good pressure. We ran codes but we only got one that was P0462, which is a fuel level sensor A low circuit input, but we figure that that only came up because my cluster is ****ed and the fuel guage always reads full and speedo is ****ed. I'm fresh out of ideas and just need help.
Did you put the flywheel back on in the correct position?
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 AM

^^^^ +1
Old 08-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by DennisMik
^^^^ +1
If stock flywheel...can't screw it up (well, I'm sure someone can, but it's harder lol).
Old 08-09-2016, 08:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mattx
Did you put the flywheel back on in the correct position?
I'm pretty sure I did man.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:29 PM

I'm pretty sure I did man.
I personally would look at this way, if the car ran fine before you did these jobs then maybe you may have overlooked putting flywheel on right. Not saying you did but I would go over everything that you did once more very carefully and if it's still not running then I would check the flywheel. I know it sucks but what can you do. I guess you could have a fuel pump or something related to fuel issue but if it wasn't giving you a problem before the clutch then I wouldn't think it would just show up now.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 PM

Here is a thread for you to read:

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...t-start-t.html
Old 08-10-2016, 09:27 AM

Did you Relearn the idle, and Check your ground wires ?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tech2000
Did you Relearn the idle, and Check your ground wires ?
Checked all of the grounds. What do you mean by relearning the idle?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM

If this is an 03 then you should have a electronic throttle body on your motor, Mabye there is an loose wire from the throttle to the pedal or the motor in the TB died. If you have access to a diagnostic scanner, check out the throttle percentage and see if the % goes up as you hold the gas( car doesn't have to be running, just acc2)
Old 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
If this is an 03 then you should have a electronic throttle body on your motor, Mabye there is an loose wire from the throttle to the pedal or the motor in the TB died. If you have access to a diagnostic scanner, check out the throttle percentage and see if the % goes up as you hold the gas( car doesn't have to be running, just acc2)
Alright, thanks for the info. I'll go check that out.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Checked all of the grounds. What do you mean by relearning the idle?
Check this out hope it helps https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...a-02-03-a.html
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by tech2000
Reset the ECU, car still didn't start. Although the air around us smells really gassy so I'm thinking it might b3 an air problem
Old 08-11-2016, 08:12 AM

Reset the ECU, car still didn't start. Although the air around us smells really gassy so I'm thinking it might b3 an air problem
I think you're trying to look for a problem when you already know what the real one is. Did you recheck the flywheel yet? Cause the ecu reset and various relearns won't stop the car from running. It might not run right but usually it would still run. On top of that you weren't really sure which hole was the dowel pin hole to begin with were you?
Old 08-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Mattx
I think you're trying to look for a problem when you already know what the real one is. Did you recheck the flywheel yet? Cause the ecu reset and various relearns won't stop the car from running. It might not run right but usually it would still run. On top of that you weren't really sure which hole was the dowel pin hole to begin with were you?
No I wasn't. When we put the flywheel on we had to wiggle it around so that all the holes properlly lined up, which is why I think we put it on the right way. I mean, I wish I could check it without spending a full night's work and tearing apart half the car.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:11 PM

No I wasn't. When we put the flywheel on we had to wiggle it around so that all the holes properlly lined up, which is why I think we put it on the right way. I mean, I wish I could check it without spending a full night's work and tearing apart half the car.
Yea it sucks to have to take everything apart again. There should've been one hole like in the pictures in the other thread that's different than all the other ones. That's the dowel pin hole. In the other thread you can see the picture there's a hole that's different than the rest. That's should be the dowel pin hole.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks to everyone who helped out! I faced my fears and took everything off. Flywheel was on wrong and after we put it together it started good. Did a few celebratory burnouts as well! Thanks again fellas!
Old 08-17-2016, 08:09 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped out! I faced my fears and took everything off. Flywheel was on wrong and after we put it together it started good. Did a few celebratory burnouts as well! Thanks again fellas!
I'm having deja-vu right about now brother. Going through the same sh#t myself. My car runs and is driveable so I'm pretty sure I have the flywheel out of position by one hole on the crank flange. I will be making time to fix this soon but the question I really want the answer to ...

Did your gauges get straightened out? Mine have gone wacky too, only it's all of them.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Blassmasta
I'm having deja-vu right about now brother. Going through the same sh#t myself. My car runs and is driveable so I'm pretty sure I have the flywheel out of position by one hole on the crank flange. I will be making time to fix this soon but the question I really want the answer to ...

Did your gauges get straightened out? Mine have gone wacky too, only it's all of them.
Sadly no. At least not yet. We snapped the bolt for the main ground to the trans last night and have to go buy one somewhere. But I don't think that's the problem. I'm pretty sure it's just the whole cluster is screwed. Because even the odo only clicks a km about once every 3 km travelled. And after changing all this crap, I don't have the money right now to replace it.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Sadly no. At least not yet. We snapped the bolt for the main ground to the trans last night and have to go buy one somewhere. But I don't think that's the problem. I'm pretty sure it's just the whole cluster is screwed. Because even the odo only clicks a km about once every 3 km travelled. And after changing all this crap, I don't have the money right now to replace it.
I feel your pain. But WTF? what part of changing a damn clutch can cause the cluster to get fried? In my case, the tach reads high, the speedo reads low, the temp gauge reads low and the fuel gauge reads high.
They all work it's just that their start / resting points have been altered somehow.

My odometer is working as it should.

Have you done the self-diagnostic on the cluster?