5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The hesitant Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 AM

The hesitant Maxima

My Maxima seems to be hesitant...i think around 2000 rpms. It happens ever so often. It will be fine then lose power. it feels like the engine wants power but isnt getting it then it comes right back. I've researched on here and read it could be my throttle body, or my fuel pump. about a month a ago i did almost run out of gas running on fumes. Do you think that could have caused it? could it be my fuel injectors i have no check engine light for this problem.

Last edited by Phantom-V; 01-26-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:51 AM

I would put my money on the MAF slowly going out. I'd try cleaning it out, there's a write up here on how to clean it.

If that doesn't work then its, maybe knock sensor.

Fuel Pump/Filter should be fine, how many miles do you have?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM

Running low on fuel or near empty once or twice may be the issue, although if it is a habit waiting til the fuel light comes on then yes it can foul up the injectors as all the crud and settiment in the bottom of the gas tank would be getting sent through you filter, causing it to get clogged up and some would get through towards the injectors causing them to get a little fouled up. I am not a big fan of the off the shelf fuel injector cleaners but have had good results in simply adding a half a can of "Sea Foam" to a full tank of gas, seems to cleaned up any issue I had and even improved the fuel economy a little.

Other than the hesitation you are feeling are there any other indications, such as poor gas mileage?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:05 AM

ok. i'll try cleaning the MAF. i have MAF cleaner at home. Anyway to tell if its the knock sensor? like if i hit a bump or something?

Originally Posted by PininFarina456
I would put my money on the MAF slowly going out. I'd try cleaning it out, there's a write up here on how to clean it.

If that doesn't work then its, maybe knock sensor.

Fuel Pump/Filter should be fine, how many miles do you have?
Still getting my great gas mileage. It happens ever so often. i am able to push down on the peddle and get nothing then power just comes right back. it last for only a few seconds. Also, i think my A/C compressor is going...thats all i can think of

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Running low on fuel or near empty once or twice may be the issue, although if it is a habit waiting til the fuel light comes on then yes it can foul up the injectors as all the crud and settiment in the bottom of the gas tank would be getting sent through you filter, causing it to get clogged up and some would get through towards the injectors causing them to get a little fouled up. I am not a big fan of the off the shelf fuel injector cleaners but have had good results in simply adding a half a can of "Sea Foam" to a full tank of gas, seems to cleaned up any issue I had and even improved the fuel economy a little.

Other than the hesitation you are feeling are there any other indications, such as poor gas mileage?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM

I'd put my money on a MAF - seeing as how every power related problem on a Maxima can be fixed with a new one

For serious, my old MAF would always have lag when I hit the pedal at around 3,500 rpm. Replaced it and then the car performed normally.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How many miles on your car?
Clean your TB.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:25 PM

well, my car has about 128,000 on it.

i did get a duralast alternator from auto zone 2 months ago or so and i think that might be causing it. i some times watch my piggyback and see my volts go from 14.5 to 13.1 and then back up again. could this be the problem also?

i also hear like a noise coming from my A/c compressor. sigh, i just want thig problem gone.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM

i think i had something similar, when i would floor it car would accelerate in "steps" power would disappear randomly between 2-4K, cleaned my maf and TB and it went away, did boost my idle a bit, have to do the learning procedure.... bleeee
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
I'd put my money on a MAF - seeing as how every power related problem on a Maxima can be fixed with a new one

For serious, my old MAF would always have lag when I hit the pedal at around 3,500 rpm. Replaced it and then the car performed normally.
Serious?
Hmm. My car doesn't necessarily feel gutless below 3,500, but it really comes alive past 3,500 to 4k. When I step on it, it almost feels like turbo lag until 4k...
That the same symptoms yours had? If so, I'll put a new MAF in there. I feel like my 02 Altima 3.5SE 5MT had more low end than this car, and of course they have the same engine.

Hope ya read this, its a few months old... I've not found any exact answers to why I don't see real power until around 3.5-4K.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by CraigSE
Serious?
Hmm. My car doesn't necessarily feel gutless below 3,500, but it really comes alive past 3,500 to 4k. When I step on it, it almost feels like turbo lag until 4k...
That the same symptoms yours had? If so, I'll put a new MAF in there. I feel like my 02 Altima 3.5SE 5MT had more low end than this car, and of course they have the same engine.

Hope ya read this, its a few months old... I've not found any exact answers to why I don't see real power until around 3.5-4K.
thats funny....because i'm still working on fixing my car lol. Haven't solved the problem yet. for now i'm running off of a 00-01 MAF without the thermostat wire(until i get my MAF from Dave B.). even the 01 MAF is a little better but i still get the same problems. I put a new Throttle body in and nothing really changed. Changed a 02 sensor that a wire was exposed...still nothing. i have ordered the rest of my 02 sensors to replace all seeing that they could have gone bad.

I don't know if my ECU has gone bad though...i don't know what it feels like to have and ECU go bad. I haven't ordered a new fuel pump yet because i want to see if the new MAF will work along with the 02 sensors.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM

Hey Guys I have looked every where for a write up on Replacing the 5th gen knock sensor. Do you have to remove the intake manifold. I am pretty sure my knock sensor needs replacing but I dont want to remove the manifold unless absolutely necessary.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Luquire
Hey Guys I have looked every where for a write up on Replacing the 5th gen knock sensor. Do you have to remove the intake manifold. I am pretty sure my knock sensor needs replacing but I dont want to remove the manifold unless absolutely necessary.
it is located above the belts its like the new one but a bolt runs threw it
Old 03-22-2010, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its the MAF sensor trust me I HAD the same problem
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM

hesitating

Do you have a problem when starting your car in the morning? I have the same problem you have in addition to having to depress gas to keep car started.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 PM

i have the same problem, but i have a ticking in my engine as well.. i've also been running very rich for quite some time due to my headers/y-pipe and no tune
Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by dzil
Its the MAF sensor trust me I HAD the same problem
changed it...

Originally Posted by rodalt02
Do you have a problem when starting your car in the morning? I have the same problem you have in addition to having to depress gas to keep car started.
nah, it starts fine...for now lol

Originally Posted by wyche89
i have the same problem, but i have a ticking in my engine as well.. i've also been running very rich for quite some time due to my headers/y-pipe and no tune
yeah, im running real rich myself because i haven't tuned mine either. maybe i should do that.

im about to get the new Throttle body tuned tomorrow so my car idles normal again. then hopefully she should be fine.