5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 6-speed reverse gear isnt working right? HELP PLZZZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 PM

My 6-speed reverse gear isnt working right? HELP PLZZZ

Ok, so this is whats going on. when i attempt to put the car in reverse, 9 times outta 10 it makes that weird grinding noise that manuals make when the car isnt in gear properly. the 1 time outta 10 the it goes into gear properly, the car reverses normally. I had a mechanic check it ( i doubt he knew what he was doing really, grrrrr) he said that it was the 6-speed cable assembly that was bad. he was showing me something under the hood on the tranny as someone else put the car into and out of reverse. it seemed like that might in fact be the case?? but thats from my very unknowledgeable eyes. what could this be? anyone with any knowledge of this situation please chime in on this!! any help will be much appreciated.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

6 Speed Grind

Originally Posted by $EXY BLAXIMA
Ok, so this is whats going on. when i attempt to put the car in reverse, 9 times outta 10 it makes that weird grinding noise that manuals make when the car isnt in gear properly. the 1 time outta 10 the it goes into gear properly, the car reverses normally. I had a mechanic check it ( i doubt he knew what he was doing really, grrrrr) he said that it was the 6-speed cable assembly that was bad. he was showing me something under the hood on the tranny as someone else put the car into and out of reverse. it seemed like that might in fact be the case?? but thats from my very unknowledgeable eyes. what could this be? anyone with any knowledge of this situation please chime in on this!! any help will be much appreciated.
I can't speak for your car, but I have noticed that mine is hard to shift (sometimes grinds) when the car is really cold (Like Under 20 degrees out). My revese is OK, but mine has a problem going into 2nd when cold. After a mile or so it gets better. Good luck to you.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:36 AM

It sounds like your clutch might not be fully disengaged when you're trying to get into reverse. If the car is standing still and the clutch is disengaged there should be nothing spinning inside the transmission to grind. There has to be rotational movement for a grind.

Does it do the same thing going into first from a stop?

Also, try going into reverse with the motor off. It will probably slide right in every time.

Also also, try to see where in the pedal movement the clutch actually engages. Pull the e brake and put the clutch to the floor. slowly let it up and see when the revs drop.

If it goes into gear easily with the motor off I'd look at adjusting the clutch pedal.

If it still has the problem with the motor off you might have a problem with the cables, shifter or tranny.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
It sounds like your clutch might not be fully disengaged when you're trying to get into reverse. If the car is standing still and the clutch is disengaged there should be nothing spinning inside the transmission to grind. There has to be rotational movement for a grind.

Does it do the same thing going into first from a stop?

Also, try going into reverse with the motor off. It will probably slide right in every time.

Also also, try to see where in the pedal movement the clutch actually engages. Pull the e brake and put the clutch to the floor. slowly let it up and see when the revs drop.

If it goes into gear easily with the motor off I'd look at adjusting the clutch pedal.

If it still has the problem with the motor off you might have a problem with the cables, shifter or tranny.
It goes into all the other gears fine without a problem. when standing still, i put it in reverse, than theres usually a "bump" i run into when trying to put it in gear. than i take it out and try it again. i do this several times before actually releasing the clutch because when it does this "bump", it almost certainly makes that noise upon realeasing the clutch. additionally i have to hold in down in the gear as well, because it will try to force its way out the gear. BUT, if i play with it and find that "sweet spot" where it slides right in, it usually reverses fine with no problem!!?? and i dont have to hold it in gear or anything. problem is, i only find that spot 1 out of 10 times? i'm gonna try those things u mentioned and see if i noticed anything. i'll let u guys know my findings. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Ok, so i try going through there gears with the motor off and it feels exactly the same imho. i than cut the engine on and see where the clutch engages in first and in reverse. They both begin to make the car roll, upon releasing the clutch, at about 1/5 of the way up from the floor, the only difference is, when in first gear, and i fully release the clutch, it goes in gear fine. whereas when in reverse, after the initial 1/5 of the way up, i let off the clutch some more, than i notice the shifter trying to make its way out of the gear, and it makes that grinding sound at about 1/4 -1/2 of the way up. unless of course i hit that "sweet spot" and it works PERFECTLY and normal, but like i said that happens only 1 time out of 10? so what do u guys think this is?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Ok, if it's still doing it with the motor off we can pretty much rule out the clutch.

Remove the center console around the shifter and inspect the bushings where the two shifter cables connect to the shifter. They're round rubber bushings that can come apart over time. They're like a circle inside a circle connected by rubber. The rubber comes apart over time and create a lot of play.

That's the easiest and most likely thing to check. If they're worn go ahead and replace them. It's easy and I don't think they're too expensive.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check the shifter cable bracket near the trans. My buddy had an 01 6-speed Maxima and his bracket was cracked.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by dorman68
Check the shifter cable bracket near the trans. My buddy had an 01 6-speed Maxima and his bracket was cracked.
Yeah, check that too. It's right behind where the cables connect to the tranny. You wouldn't be the first one to break that bracket. It usually causes worse symptoms but it could be.

If you still have the stock intake you'll have to remove part of it to see the bracket.

I'd still check the bushings first because it's they're easier to get to. If they're ok then go after the bracket.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM
faster than you think

yeah mine had the same problem after a month it just stop going in reverse i had to replace the tranny
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by tedo007
yeah mine had the same problem after a month it just stop going in reverse i had to replace the tranny
Do you have the sts mod? It almost sounds like your reverse gear just doesn't wanna go in. synchros? I broke my bracket but once it breaks there's TOO much play to just lock you outta reverse, it wouldn't even be a reverse, your whole gearbox would feel like jello and you could move your shifter in a perfect square around the gearbox trim. You can check the cable while having someone put it in 1st than reverse and see if you notice anything. Since you said the sound only happens would letting off the clutch than I think that's showing that it's just not going into gears. bad synchros?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM

Than again it's extremely cold now so it could just be your tranny needs to warm up.. Does this only start after cold start ups or when your cars been sitting a while? I got the sts mod and on start up getting in gear is a extreme challenge.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Derrick has done an excellent troubleshooting on this one. I would add the following.

Since you have been grinding the backup gear for a few times, it is possible that its teeth that are normally shaped as a triangle to place the backup gear in the right position in order to let the drive gear slide in place, are getting there edges grinded. That would explain why the gear does not engage fully 9 times out of 10.

I usually overcome this issue by letting the clutch slowly while keeping a pressure on the shifter to clear what you call the "bump". It should rotate the drive gear slowly until a teeth match is found. Then it will engage just fine.

I dont know if you are getting what I am trying to say with my poor english...

Last edited by ColtMax; 01-11-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It sound like A clutch isnt working properly.....I also has a problem sometimes i need to step on the clutch so hard I mean HARD If i dont do that it won't go into gear !!!
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM

Ok, if it's still doing it with the motor off we can pretty much rule out the clutch.

Remove the center console around the shifter and inspect the bushings where the two shifter cables connect to the shifter. They're round rubber bushings that can come apart over time. They're like a circle inside a circle connected by rubber. The rubber comes apart over time and create a lot of play.

That's the easiest and most likely thing to check. If they're worn go ahead and replace them. It's easy and I don't think they're too expensive.
ok, thats what i'll do next..... with someone who has knowledge of these things of course, and see what my findings tell me.

Originally Posted by dorman68
I didnt know the 01 had a 6-speed LoL. But seriously, I saw the cable by the tranny when a mechanic was checking my car. from what i saw, all i know is when someone puts the car into and out of reverse, i see something that looks like a little lever going up and down...... at the time the mechanic said that the (i believe bushing it was) around it was no good. he than tried to insert a screw in that spot to take up some of the slack?? that didnt really help, he said i just needed a new shifter cable, but when he ordered one he ordered the wrong one, so it never got done, and i didnt go back to him because his shop wasnt too "official" so i didnt go back there.

Yeah, check that too. It's right behind where the cables connect to the tranny. You wouldn't be the first one to break that bracket. It usually causes worse symptoms but it could be.

If you still have the stock intake you'll have to remove part of it to see the bracket.

I'd still check the bushings first because it's they're easier to get to. If they're ok then go after the bracket.
No stock intake. I have an injen, so i can clearly see it.

Originally Posted by tedo007
i sure hope not!!

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
Do you have the sts mod? It almost sounds like your reverse gear just doesn't wanna go in. synchros? I broke my bracket but once it breaks there's TOO much play to just lock you outta reverse, it wouldn't even be a reverse, your whole gearbox would feel like jello and you could move your shifter in a perfect square around the gearbox trim. You can check the cable while having someone put it in 1st than reverse and see if you notice anything. Since you said the sound only happens would letting off the clutch than I think that's showing that it's just not going into gears. bad synchros?
No STS, i have the stock shifter.

Than again it's extremely cold now so it could just be your tranny needs to warm up.. Does this only start after cold start ups or when your cars been sitting a while? I got the sts mod and on start up getting in gear is a extreme challenge.
it first started doing this during the summer, at first i just tried to deal with it, but now its out of control, so something has to be done. so its not the weather in that case.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Heading to work now, will be back on later tonight to answer all responses/inquiries. Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by $EXY BLAXIMA
ok, thats what i'll do next..... with someone who has knowledge of these things of course, and see what my findings tell me.

I didnt know the 01 had a 6-speed LoL. But seriously, I saw the cable by the tranny when a mechanic was checking my car. from what i saw, all i know is when someone puts the car into and out of reverse, i see something that looks like a little lever going up and down...... at the time the mechanic said that the (i believe bushing it was) around it was no good. he than tried to insert a screw in that spot to take up some of the slack?? that didnt really help, he said i just needed a new shifter cable, but when he ordered one he ordered the wrong one, so it never got done, and i didnt go back to him because his shop wasnt too "official" so i didnt go back there.
That makes sence too. There are bushings where the shifter cables meet the tranny. You don't need to replace the cables. The bushings are replaceable and it's not too hard. They press into the ends of the cables. You can do it yourself.

I figured they had checked that when they said the mechanism was bad. Pull it apart and check the bushings. If they look rough replace them and avoid that mechanic in the future.

The symptoms you're describing sound a lot like bad bushings. Especially since it's doing it with the motor off too. I think you may have found your problem.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:46 PM

its possible that the grinding sound is putting it into 6th gear.. pull the lever up fully before you put it into reverse.. people usually do it quick and run it into 6th instead of reverse? its possible just do it slow see if it works out
Old 01-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 20Max03
its possible that the grinding sound is putting it into 6th gear.. pull the lever up fully before you put it into reverse.. people usually do it quick and run it into 6th instead of reverse? its possible just do it slow see if it works out
Naw, that isnt it, i usually try pushing in the clutch in as hard as i can and pulling up the reverse lever as hard as i can and still the same result usually. but basically upon playing with different combinations lately to see what works, i realize that it starts to roll back when in reverse until i let up off the clutch more than the point where it engages. so basically, if i'm on a level surface or on an upgrade the car can just crawl back slowly for me to reverse and get where i'm going. but if i need to give it some gas to move or let up off the clutch pass the engagement point, the grinding sound happens. its so annoying, not to mention embarassing. i see everybody's head turn looking like WTF when it does that, smh.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 PM

I just read through all the replies and don't think i saw any mention trying the following:

Before trying reverse, put car in first gear then try reverse. I've experienced what you're refering to once or twice. Both times i've put the car in first gear then tried again and reverse was fine.

This may temporarily help. My $.02 .

- Jon
Old 01-24-2010, 03:43 PM

How difficult is it to swap from a auto trans to a manual.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:06 AM

I have this EXACT same problem. It started last summer so its not a cold issue but fortunately for me, it happens once every...20 times maybe. It freaked me out at first but it never got worst.

What I do is what somebody already mentioned, when I notice that it hits that 'bump' that you are referring to, it almost feels like its engaged but it stops short. So I hold it there, putting just a little pressure for it to go through and I very slowly start to release the clutch, usually slips right in.

If you find the problem PM me because I would be fixing it as soon as I get some cash.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
:)

I'm with this guy here, possible that the synchro ring could have too much wear. It may also be the reverse idler gear/coupler having the teeth a little on the worn side too that could cause that. That would also cause it to pop out of gear if there was excessive wear on the idler gear/coupler. Luckily reverse gear is on it's own shaft and the parts are generally easier to service than the main shafts are. I would suggest replacing the front reverse idler gear, baulk ring and coupler.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

A mechanic already told you it was the linkage, so why are we all taking a guess at what your problem is? One guy wants you to take the tranny apart and start replacing parts, without even seeing the car! You gotta love the internet.

I would suggest you go back to that mechanic and have him double check his diagnosis, then perform the necessary repairs.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Any updates with this?