5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0430 code and getting a new cat to fix the problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by msucurt
dustey, thanks for the links. I would assume all of these "nissan" parts will fit my 2000 infiniti i30 saying its the same car for the most part. Just want to make sure before ordering stuff
Yes, Nissan parts will work with your Infiniti just fine. Mechanically identical cars.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 AM

re

Is this part still available ? where can i find this part ? is this the part that contains two sensors ? this is bank 2 correct ?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 12:11 PM

I'm a little unsure of the question. Restate it please.

If you are getting code p0430, then it is more than likely your O2 sensors or your precat. You can either replace the O2 sensor (if it hasnt been replaced) or you can order a precat online (rockauto.com) and have it installed. That "should" fix your p0430 code.

Or you could go the whole y-pipe route ,which from what i understand eliminates your precat.

Or you could ignore the precat p0430 code and do 1)O2 sims or 2)non-fouler method on the O2 sensors.

your choice

Originally Posted by Saadkhan07
Is this part still available ? where can i find this part ? is this the part that contains two sensors ? this is bank 2 correct ?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM

thanks man, i really appreciate it.

btw, while i am ordering these parts, would you recommend me getting anything else from there while i am at it (i.e. for any other codes that might pop up in the future)

Originally Posted by dustey
Yes, Nissan parts will work with your Infiniti just fine. Mechanically identical cars.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Dustey, just curious. I went by my local muffler shop today and talked to them about the bosal precat. They said the price from rockauto was excellent and they would install if for me for $60-80. I was talking to them about the cap converter and wire mesh. The lady (owner's wife) after looking at the pics I brought in said she might have it in the back. She brings out the cap converter and wire mesh both in nissan packets. The cap converter read this.....

20822-D0100 (it looks exactly like the pic of the cap-converter in the link from courteyparts, but the ending "D0100" doesnt match up with the ending "A33B001" from the link you gave me)

Basically, the 20822 from my muffler shop matches exactly to the 20822 from the courtesyparts.com

The same story applies to the other part also.

I would assume this is the same part....correct?

Again, thanks

The pre-cat you need is BOSAL Part # 0991421. www.rockauto.com is generally the best/cheapest place to pick up parts, from my experience.

For the gaskets, I just went to my local Nissan dealership and bought the 2 I needed. Or buy them from Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com)
1. [20822] CAP-CONVERTER Product SKU: 20822-A33B001 http://www.courtesyparts.com/20822-c...3-p-45004.html
2. [20840] WASHER-WIRE MESH Product SKU: 20840-A33B002 http://www.courtesyparts.com/20840-w...-p-193680.html

#2 is a wire mesh gasket that fits into #1. You will see what I mean when you buy it.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM

Dustey, just curious. I went by my local muffler shop today and talked to them about the bosal precat. They said the price from rockauto was excellent and they would install if for me for $60-80. I was talking to them about the cap converter and wire mesh. The lady (owner's wife) after looking at the pics I brought in said she might have it in the back. She brings out the cap converter and wire mesh both in nissan packets. The cap converter read this.....

20822-D0100 (it looks exactly like the pic of the cap-converter in the link from courteyparts, but the ending "D0100" doesnt match up with the ending "A33B001" from the link you gave me)

Basically, the 20822 from my muffler shop matches exactly to the 20822 from the courtesyparts.com

The same story applies to the other part also.

I would assume this is the same part....correct?

Again, thanks
Yes, they are the same. For whatever reason, they don't match. I have taken the part number listed on Courtesy's website to my local dealership and the first part is the same but the 2nd part is different. Go with what they have.

The price the shop will charge you for the 2 parts could be less than if you bought it from the Nissan dealership!

$60-$80 sounds fair for the cat install, as well.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM

thanks man, i really appreciate it.

btw, while i am ordering these parts, would you recommend me getting anything else from there while i am at it (i.e. for any other codes that might pop up in the future)
If the O2 sensors haven't been replaced, that would be the only other thing. They typically last 100k miles.

NGK
#24527 Pre-Cat Front
#24619 Pre-Cat Rear
#24572 Post-Cat Front
#24574 Post-Cat Rear
Old 12-01-2011, 09:06 AM

thanks man, I really appreciate your help. I had two of my O2 sensors replaced around 50k miles, but i will save this info in case i need to order more O2 sensors.

again, thanks

If the O2 sensors haven't been replaced, that would be the only other thing. They typically last 100k miles.

NGK
#24527 Pre-Cat Front
#24619 Pre-Cat Rear
#24572 Post-Cat Front
#24574 Post-Cat Rear
Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm getting the dreaded p430 code. 90% sure that my precat is starting to fail. Pretty much planning on having it replaced this weekend. My two questions to the org is this:

I have a very important engagement on Friday evening I'm going to. I've seen posts saying its fine to drive on a bad precat, AS WELL as seeing posts saying "bad precat metal shards destroyed my engine".

Can I drive on a precat that's starting to fail? Why? Why not?

I also see in this post that the guy that bought the precat from RockAuto (which is what I am going to do) also bought the cap converter and wiremesh.

Does the precat need a gasket?
Are the cap converter and wiremesh needed as well?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by d_preston
I'm getting the dreaded p430 code. 90% sure that my precat is starting to fail. Pretty much planning on having it replaced this weekend. My two questions to the org is this:

I have a very important engagement on Friday evening I'm going to. I've seen posts saying its fine to drive on a bad precat, AS WELL as seeing posts saying "bad precat metal shards destroyed my engine".

I also see in this post that the guy that bought the precat from RockAuto (which is what I am going to do) also bought the cap converter and wiremesh.

Thanks.
I've had that code since I bought my car, more than 3 years ago, and it had it before that for who-knows-how-long. The code comes and goes for weeks a t a time. My take is that is not big deal unless your car is showing sign of really sluggish performance.
So, for your first question the answer is yes, you can drive on a precat that is starting to fail.
For your second question, as to why, because a precat that is beginning to fail is no threat to the engine; it has to be pretty clogged up to do any damage, if any.
These represent just my personal opinion on your "two" questions. If you had more beyond those two, I did no see them.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:54 PM

I also had ses light on with po430 code since i got the car. That was with 145k
lady i bought the car from said the light had been on since she got the cae and who knows how long ago that was. Aside for maf sensor changed the car runs fine with no hesitations or anything else. It now has 188k
Old 12-08-2011, 01:05 AM
RR5

Originally Posted by d_preston

Thanks.
When the pre-cat material breaks up, a common theory on the org is the engine has a chance to suck some of that up into the cylinders. That would be major bad news for the engine. This is one of those "It happened to me with my car, it could happen to your car" at the same time another person says "I ran the car for (length of time) with that problem and nothing happened."

Proceed at your own risk is what I am saying. But in all honesty, replace the pre-cat with a Nissan OEM part because it's hassle free at the cost of being more expensive.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Just placed my Bosal pre-cat order from rockauto.com. My local muffler shop already had the cap converter and wire mesh, so i am good to go. I am hoping total cost including installation should be at $300, which is fine as long as the CEL goes and stays off.

Question: Once I have my precat installed, should the car start and the CEL automatically go off or do i need to get it cleared? Is there anything else I should do once my precat is installed?

thanks all
Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 AM
RR5

The next trip DTC cycle will clear the MIL code when the conditions are no longer present to cause the MIL to illuminate. Once I replaced my cat(s) soon as I started the car the codes went away and never came back.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:28 PM

Ok, sorry, but i dont know what DTC and MIL stand for....sorry. So, i guess i should just replace the precat and start the car as usual and the CEL light should go away?

sorry for the elementary questions.

thanks

Originally Posted by RR5
The next trip DTC cycle will clear the MIL code when the conditions are no longer present to cause the MIL to illuminate. Once I replaced my cat(s) soon as I started the car the codes went away and never came back.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 PM

Ok, sorry, but i dont know what DTC and MIL stand for....sorry. So, i guess i should just replace the precat and start the car as usual and the CEL light should go away?

sorry for the elementary questions.

thanks
DTC stands for diagnostic trouble code

MIL is malfunction indicator lamp also known as a check engine light or as on nissans "service engine soon" light.

After cat replacement, you'd still need to clear the light. You can clear the light with a scan tool if you have one but im assuming you dont since you didnt know what any of those acronyms meant.

Stop by autozone and ask them to clear the CEL or unplug the battery.

But that will risk losing all your memory features. (radio presets, clock) etc.

Last edited by 2kVQboodah; 12-12-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:54 AM
RR5

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2002/

Just replace and drive, when the ECM re-checks the monitors it will find the condition to trip the MIL is not present and the light turns off.

You want the EC manual.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Just placed my Bosal pre-cat order from rockauto.com. My local muffler shop already had the cap converter and wire mesh, so i am good to go. I am hoping total cost including installation should be at $300, which is fine as long as the CEL goes and stays off.

Question: Once I have my precat installed, should the car start and the CEL automatically go off or do i need to get it cleared? Is there anything else I should do once my precat is installed?

thanks all
I'm looking to replace my pre-cat as well. But, what is a cap converter?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twokidsandadad
I'm looking to replace my pre-cat as well. But, what is a cap converter?
I was wondering the same thing...what is "cap converter and wire mesh" mentioned above????
Old 12-21-2011, 01:06 AM
RR5

Probably has something to do with the aftermarket part not being a direct OEM fit and needing some adjustment to fit.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:30 AM

Well, going in today to get my precat installed. HOpe all goes well with the installation and hopefully this CEL light goes and stays off ....forever.. Wish me well
Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Update ::: Got the bosal precat installed. And well, wouldnt you know...the CEL came on a mere 150miles later. Im up in arms with this s***. Dont even know where to go now. I guess I will change all the O2 sensors out (or whatever the code says), but im just so skeptical now.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:58 AM
RR5

The FSM has a pretty clear list of items to check when diagnosing this problem. In my case I replaced the O2 sensors until I got the p0430 code. A call to DaveB (before the bastards at South Point Nissan let him go) he said just get the pre-cat, job done.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM

the only problem is that i just did get the precat done....and the CEL light popped back up.

Originally Posted by RR5
The FSM has a pretty clear list of items to check when diagnosing this problem. In my case I replaced the O2 sensors until I got the p0430 code. A call to DaveB (before the bastards at South Point Nissan let him go) he said just get the pre-cat, job done.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:37 AM
RR5

That tells me its something else listed in the EC.PDF on http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/2002/ that could be causing the problem.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Which pre-cat did you replace? Which code did you get back?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM

Give it time to go out. Before I start replacing sensors and cats I go to get an emissions test and see what its reading just to make sure something isnt functioning properly. Esp if I was getting new pre cats or a new cat converter
Old 01-29-2012, 11:23 AM

ok guys...well, it came on a little after installing the precat....and it went off about a week ago. It has now been off about 400 miles. So, maybe it just needed a little time for it to "cycle" through the ecm....i dunno.

Anyway, everything is fine as of now.