5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Idiot rubs against my max!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Idiot rubs against my max!

So i get up outta the bed to go get the mail and i notice a paper on my windshield. The note basically says "my car door rub up against your the side of your car please call me at#####"

I dont get too mad cause at least she left at note, anyways i call her and ask what happen? she says that she was backing out and didn't know that the door was open and that it flew open when she was backing out. I asked her how does she want to fix this go through the insurance or pay outta pocket? She says she dont know and asks what would i like to do? So i say outta pocket and what i will do is get a quote on how much it will cost and get back to her. she says great let know when you find something out.

She has a friend that stays in the same complex i do because i have seen her and her car many times before. I went to a guy i know that does paint & body work and he told me to get quotes from 3 other places that do the same work and then give the her a copy of it. Then have her to make the check out or give cash to me then come back to him and he's gonna repaint the whole car for cheaper and i pocket what's left over.

What do you guys think about that?

btw
Gonna post pic's in a few
Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 PM

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by boost4age
he's gonna repaint the whole car for cheaper and i pocket what's left over.

What do you guys think about that?

I think you got lucky it was an honest person. I had the same thing happen to me last summer in a parking lot, but the person was kind enough to leave the damages for me to pay. Good call on going out of pocket... What do you mean "repaint the whole car"? Do you mean just the damaged areas? Post pics, and Goodluck

Edit: Ouchh!! That cannot be cheap, let us know what happens.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Be happy she left a note. Definitely would not call her an idiot since she was gracious enough to admit what she did.

To me it sounds like this may be her first time doing something like this since she didn't know whether to go through insurance or do it outta pocket.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by LongIslandMax
I What do you mean "repaint the whole car"? Do you mean just the damaged areas? Post pics, and Goodluck

Edit: Ouchh!! That cannot be cheap, let us know what happens.
I mean the whole car will repainted but the same color, i wanted it done for sometime cause its chipping on the hood and in some other spots but didnt have the $$$ for it. and i will post pics after its done

Last edited by boost4age; 12-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:31 PM

sounds like its not TOO bad of a deal if everything goes through smoothly. Looks like you will be able to pocket some money at the end and have the side of your car re-done.

Sucks that it happened.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Don't take advantage of her! Charge her what you friend charges you. It's only good karma, man. I mean she could have taken off and left you holding the bag. What comes around goes around.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Don't take advantage of her! Charge her what you friend charges you. It's only good karma, man. I mean she could have taken off and left you holding the bag. What comes around goes around.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 PM

I highly doubt she would be able to afford to pay for the entire car to be repainted. At that point she will probably change her mind, go through insurance and the insurance company will take care of it. In the end OP will end up having the damaged panels repainted and that's it. So better to save the trouble of having to wait for the claims adjuster, etc. etc. and just charge her for what damage was done.

Kind of disturbing that you would even consider putting a person through the wringer like that. I had my car backed into by some dude and he ended up giving me a fake insurance number and address. And especially around the holidays. **** man.

Last edited by 2002AltimateV6; 12-12-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:13 PM

Pretty good deal she left a note. lol that almost never happens

As a show of good faith I'd give her the money left over. Two honest people would do well to reciprocate
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM

lucky...my car got wrecked by my neighbor and when i accused her of it, she denied it but said "i didnt do it but get an estimate and ill pay half..."

Never paid.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:27 PM

The guy was telling me to get quotes to repair the damage and the amounts are most likely gonna be more than what they are going to charge to fix it. Then pass it on to her so she can give it to me. I'm not getting quotes to fix and repaint the whole car just fix the damage, and because she so nice thus far i may just give her something for being honest.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:36 PM

I like the way this Vulcan thinks.

OP, anytime you can turn an unfortunate event into a positive experience, everybody wins.

Pics are painful to look at, however. Ouch.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Yeah thats true, hopefully things work out for the better for both of us. My baby didnt deserve that she never hurt anybody except for burning a few honda's lol
Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Pretty good deal she left a note. lol that almost never happens

As a show of good faith I'd give her the money left over. Two honest people would do well to reciprocate
Exactly, as stated. She could have just bailed on you and had you pay your friend to fix it yourself outta pocket. Rather she was kind enough to admit her faults. It'd be kinda messed up if you ask me to get company quotes that will be extra high and have her pay that than use a fraction of it, if you're gonna do that go ahead threw insurance.. I think that'd REALLY be messed up.. But that's just me..
Gl, sorry to hear about the damages.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:25 PM

i agree with the most of u guys. do the right thing and get it done cheap, if she was kind enough to leave a note u shouldnt try to scam her. karma is a bishh bro
Old 12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by bigpopaj369
i agree with the most of u guys. do the right thing and get it done cheap, if she was kind enough to leave a note u shouldnt try to scam her. karma is a bishh bro
No, don't get it done cheap. As a detailer, I see the results of cheap paint and body all the time and it isn't pretty. Get it done right and go through her insurance. It is great that she was honest about it, but that doesn't mean you have to accept subpar work at a cheap price.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
No, don't get it done cheap. As a detailer, I see the results of cheap paint and body all the time and it isn't pretty. Get it done right and go through her insurance. It is great that she was honest about it, but that doesn't mean you have to accept subpar work at a cheap price.
yes i do agree.. i should have said get the best work for the most reasonable price.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:35 PM

Absolutely, get it repaired properly. Just don't make money off her honesty and integrity.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Lucky she left a note for you. Would have been a crappy christmas gift had she just drove off. Like stated above, get the job done right.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
I believe he meant get it done for the price that you need to get it done. And don't make money off her. But since he stated he wants to go threw his buddy, than he should just use that amount of money.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
I believe he meant get it done for the price that you need to get it done. And don't make money off her.
yes thats exactly what i meant, at the time i couldnt seem to find the right words
Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM

Like others have said, get it fixed correctly and fairly, don't rip off an honest person.

remember, some day your car may become someone's can of beans. So make it a good karma event.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:51 PM

HOLY COW...I did not expect to see THAT much damage..hope you get that fixed up and make some coin because that is some pretty bad damage..and to think your car was just parked there jeez...female drivers my other maxima has been hit 2 times..both by females...both while they were backing up...ugh
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 PM

Thats funny and just the other day I was reading an article about how male drivers are so and so percentage more likely to cause an accident and kill someone than female drivers and how accident percentages for males are rising while it is dropping for females... I don't know about you but I have a feeling the author is a man hater.

But anyways I am very happy she left a note for you! Which is proof there is still some honesty and integrity left in this world But I think you should pay it forward, and give her the left over money, because I am sure her car is damaged too.

But to put it simply, I think getting a note is a lot better than having to investigate every car in the lot later on to find a car with your paint on it and similar scratched and then hunt down the driver to confront them angrily and force them to pay.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 AM

I went to a guy i know that does paint & body work and he told me to get quotes from 3 other places that do the same work and then give the her a copy of it. Then have her to make the check out or give cash to me then come back to him and he's gonna repaint the whole car for cheaper and i pocket what's left over.
I think she should make the cheque out to one of the body shops that gave you a quote.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 AM

i think she is going to change her mind when she starts seeing dollar signs,..and it might get ugly with ins.
but like others said,.. thats very respectable that she left her number, dont take advantage of her, have her pay what it is,...

remember .. character is what you do when no one else is looking. . .
Old 12-13-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Thats funny and just the other day I was reading an article about how male drivers are so and so percentage more likely to cause an accident and kill someone than female drivers and how accident percentages for males are rising while it is dropping for females... I don't know about you but I have a feeling the author is a man hater.
Yeah i saw that article on msn too and you are probably right it might have been a man hater cause i have always known females to be worst drivers than us.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:04 PM

The same **** happened to me while I was at work. The guy/gal didnt even leave a note or anything. I know how it feels but you got real lucky that she wants to help. Wish you the best.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:44 PM

Yeah i saw that article on msn too and you are probably right it might have been a man hater cause i have always known females to be worst drivers than us.
Haha I read that too! What a crock that was...definitely made us seem like the idiots (which we all know really isn't true)....

But boost4age, sorry about what happened..good luck with gettin that fixed! And just make sure it gets done right the first time!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:10 AM

i agree she did the right thing you could have gotten a a$$ and just left!!!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:45 AM

agreed
Old 12-14-2009, 07:55 AM

That is a nice amount of damage on both doors and marks on the side skirts. Any updates on how much the quotes were from the body shops?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by mist max2000
i think she is going to change her mind when she starts seeing dollar signs,
I would not put any of this off, and if she delays money after the quote, I'd walk straight to your car and call the police. BE CAREFULL!!!! Some people get stupid when things happen like this, either trying to be nice or benifit from the situation. Now, I have NO issue if you know a body shop that will end up doing you a favor and do more work for the same amount of money. You can acheive this either through cash by the person OR when insurance pays. My point here is that if this woman fails to pay and you have NOT filed a police report or informed your insurance company, you could find yourself in a situation where you are OUT EVERYTHING!

You are giving her time to fix her car, cover up any damage.... then it is HE said SHE said. I won't pretend to know how much it's going to cost to repair that damage, but I imagine it's nothing any typical person has lying around in their savings or under their mattress! It doesn't mean you have to be rude, but you are scr$wing yourself by not reporting and delaying confirming her ability to pay.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:00 AM

Not sure if it's too late now, but at the very least and if you haven't done so, get a police report, PRONTO!!!... You need to get something in writing in case things get ugly. You never know.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
Not sure if it's too late now, but at the very least and if you haven't done so, get a police report, PRONTO!!!... You need to get something in writing in case things get ugly. You never know.

Absolutely +1

I might of even still called the insurance and make sure it gets fixed right,look like alot more than just paint work, alot of little dents and gouges.??
Old 12-14-2009, 04:47 PM

Ouch, sorry to see such brutal damage on your car!!

DO NOT LET HER PAY OUT OF POCKET!! I can not stress this enough. I have been in similar situations with people hitting my other cars on more than one occassion and you will definitely regret if you let her go that route. GO THROUGH INSURANCE, that way you know it will be paid for.

I have had people bail on me when they owed for damages out of pocket, whethere they just ignore your calls or never return them. One guy even moved out of town before I had a chance to collect $1000+ and I never saw him again. Go through insurance and you are guaranteed to get what you are owed for the repair.

good luck!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:40 PM

If your friend does great work then go thru him and save her money. If not, insurance would be the way to go.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM

Hey guys

Here's how things went...i went to 4 shops to get quotes and out of the 4 there is one that i really like because they have fast turn around time, they are affordable and they do great work! All 4 shops were telling me because of the damage the doors would have to be replaced with doors from a maxima exactly like mine. They would make sure that the car's they came from wasnt submerged in water, crashed or anything like that then fix any problems if any with the doors then they would paint them and do some sort of blending to make them match the rest of the car. The price quotes was from $1,888 to $2,800 to do the job.

The shop i choose is going to do it for $1,996 its going to take about 4 to 5 days to complete and they are going repaint the whole car the same color with a clear coat . Now after i gathered all the quotes i called the girl and let her know what the total was and that because it was so high we should let the insurance take care of it, she was ok with that so we exchange info and i gave my insurance all call told them everything including where i want my car repaired.

So far everything went good, im looking forward to getting her in the shop and back out on the road.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:34 PM

that's a $300 job LOL

Quick Reply: Idiot rubs against my max!