5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)

Hi Folks,

My car got involved in an accident over the thanksgiving weekend.

Luckily, I am still ok, but I'm now stuck with the repairs --- I think my deductible of $1000 is rather too high to justify going through my insurance company.

So I am considering fixing the parts gradually. I think I would need to get a new front fender and fender liner, and maybe right headlamp assembly as well as the fog lights.

Where would be the cheapest place to get these parts -- especially the fender. And are body shops likely to accept parts bought and brought in by customers?

Since the car is still drivable, and the lights still work, I think I should be able to live with the scratches on the right headlamp cover for a while. But then, i am due for NJ inspection in February. Will the physical scratches fail me? if not, what can I do to remove or minimize those scratches?

cheers, Manny
Attached Thumbnails Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)-maximadamage1.jpg   Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)-maximadamage2_closeup.jpg   Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)-maximadamage3.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

check the classifieds to see if you can get the parts.. a junkyard... etc...
Old 12-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Sorry to hear.

your best bet would be to visit junk yards. You can bring the bumper and stuff to a paint shop and they will paint it to closely match your car. Doesn't look that bad from here....but gosh knows whats underlying...
Old 12-10-2009, 03:02 PM

My opinion: By the time you buy all the used parts and pay all the labour to have it restored back to original you'll be at the $1k mark anyway. If it were me, (unless my insurance claims were already maxed), I'd bite the bullet and have it all repaired.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you just need to replace the bumper and right headlight. You can find headlight and fog under classified section. If you looking for replacement bumper... heres the non-oem Replacement bumper from ebay. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:18 PM

Try this site, great site for parts.

http://www.car-part.com/
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Yah it seems like parts/painting/labor would exceed $1000, I would say pay the deductible and get some quality work done.

If not I would start checking some junkyards or maybe some 5.5 gen partouts in the classified.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:11 PM

its gonna be over 1000 if you want a decent job
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM

An Estimate for Consideration

Thanks for all your replies ...

I agree I will have to get it fixed properly. Attached is a quote I got from the adjuster gave me. Please take a look, and see if it is reasonable.

thansk - MN
Attached Thumbnails Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)-maximaestimate.jpg  
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 AM

Looks like a good start. I hope you realize A/M stands for Aftermarket parts. Hood luck having that A/M bumper cover fit tight to your headlamp. Although they have written for an A/M Headlamp too. Every part they have written on your estimate is non-nissan.

All I will say is, when it comes to insurance you get what you pay for.

I would like to see the end result in how the panels line up.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by barrylaud
Looks like a good start. I hope you realize A/M stands for Aftermarket parts. Hood luck having that A/M bumper cover fit tight to your headlamp.
Yeah, I realized some of the A/M parts would not fit. for example, the ebay one referenced earlier clearly states that it is slightly larger than OEM. So, i have to bear that in mind while considering paying for it.

Although they have written for an A/M Headlamp too.
Yes, again, that is a concern. Since the headlamp now works, and has sustained some scratches, I will like to use some of the cleaning procedures outlined here: http://forums.maxima.org/detailing/6...listen-up.html and here: http://forums.maxima.org/detailing/5...ng-pics-2.html before deciding to replace.

Every part they have written on your estimate is non-nissan.All I will say is, when it comes to insurance you get what you pay for. I would like to see the end result in how the panels line up.
Yep, that is the problem, I know A/M parts may not fit very well. Thats why I want to try and get a cooperative/willing/small body shop that could do the job well but with stripped OEM parts from junk yards. I will start calling around today to see if I can get an OEM bumper cover from a junk yard. Would it be the same for all 2002 or 5th gen maximas?

thanks again...MN
Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 AM

If i were you i would just pull the cover off, see what is really bent. Replace the cover and its brackets and have a body shop paint the bumper.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:49 AM

3M that headlight, the kits $20 so thats $580 savings right there!

But I agree you @ least $1000 outta pocket either way..

whats the sayin "six in one hand, half dozen in the other"
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM

Uhhh you should be good spending less than $500...

Get a new bumper and restore the headlight and call it a day. A bumper is the only thing I'd buy. I cant see the fender damage from here but it doesnt look all that serious.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:40 AM

^^^ That is what it looks like to me. Plus there are a couple of cars getting parted out in the for sale section anyway.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 AM

new bumper from here.. http://certifit.com/ great fit.. the headlight is fine.. if u paint it urself u should be way under $500..
Old 12-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Coming from a collision shop background.

Your better off letting the shop deal with the insurance in regards to your parts. Getting involved in the middle of the repair process and supplying recycled, used, eBay parts or whatever just complicates the situation.

Speaking from experience, managing thousands of collision repairs, there are very few non-OE parts that truly fit as well as OE. Recycled parts are typically OEM.

I have seen plenty of Do-It-Yourself'ers over the years attempting to repair their own vehicles. Non impossible, but there's a reason why they're a collision shop. Good luck with refinishing it yourself and having it match.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM

Thanks to you all for the input.

I don't intend to fix the car myself. I will get a collision shop to fix the bumper... I am just hoping the shop can use recycled parts, instead of aftermarket (non-OEM) which don't usually fit.

my concerns were really how to convince the shop to use recycled instead of after-market parts. What are the sources for these recycled parts -- aren't they only in junk yards?

thx --- MN
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM

i agree with pepox369 certifit is cheap in price but you get the same quality as if you were getting it from nissan, bumper runs about 33 bucks.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM

thanks -- does certifit use recycled parts -- I called the one in Pennsauken, NJ and they have bumper for about $38.

/MN
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Certi-fit really sucks too.. Not much better than the rest.

I would suggest you talk to the shop.. Let them know your not comfortable with non-OE parts. Ultimatly if the a/m does not fit, you have the right to refuse the work.. Bring it back.

You need to set your expectations with the shop very quickly. Ask them if generally these A/M parts fit or not. If you don't set the standard you will be stuck w/ the A/M junk on your car.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Thats notthing $145 and your good
Old 12-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Certi-fit is new non-oem parts.

If you want good recyeled parts, I would look on www.car-part.com

Is the car at the shop right now?

$145 and your good? Good for what? Half a fog lamp?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:38 PM

One more thing to consider. Why do you think Nissan charges $340.02 for a new part? This is the most current list price for your bumper cover.

Do you think there's a quality difference between a $38 vs $340.02 part?

Think about it, you get what you pay for. Even if they use a $38 bumper cover, it doesn't save you any money off your $1000 deductible, all it does is lowers the total cost of repairs.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Barry.... the car is not in the shop right now... I plan to scout for a few places that would be willing to use recycled bumper/cover, and then will go ahead and have them fix the bumper.

I will 3M the headlamp & then fix the fog lamp later ....... can you imagine, $145 for a half lamp? thanks for the input

/MN
Old 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM

why are you being charged for a new RT side marker and a new foglight are they really that bad? aim headlights you could save the labor and use shift ice's guide for that and save the labor, and reset electrical components? wtf Like you said OP keep looking.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:36 PM

Staticxout2- No offense dude, but this is not how it works when it comes to getting a vehicle repaired using insurance.

Noela- more than likley your headlamp lens is broken, or the plastic housing is cracked.. Eventually water will fog up the lens. Don't waste your time trying to polish it.

My suggestion is bring your insurance estimate to a couple shops where you would consider having it repaired, let them know what you expect.. Talk about the parts issue.. The shop is on your side. More than likely they will find add'l damages, and will work that out with the ins co. Don't waste your time calling\looking for used parts.. Let the shop handle it.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM

Keep in mind this all will not help the value of your car if you go to sell it. Especially if you do a half assed cheap as possible job.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Barry, thanks very much for your continuous input. The insurance adjuster (of the other party in the accident -- I guess they accepted fault) issued me a cheque of $2005, and asked that whatever body shop I chose could contact them, in case of additional repairs.

My plan is to see if I could have the car repaired for less, and use the savings for other mechanical fixes (e.g, suspension work).

How do I convey this to my prospective body shop .. are they likely to work within my desired stipulations... MN
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Not sure how it works in the States, but up here you choose your body shop,(don't have to use the one the ins. co recommends), you pay the deductable and the insurance leaches pay the rest.
When the wife backed out of the driveway into a parked Volvo SUV, I went and talked to a local bodyshop. They replaced the tail light assys. with used from a recycler rather than AM as the insurance adjuster stated. I paid the $500 deductable to them in cash. They were quite easy to deal with. Total repair was $1700. As far as I'm concerned, I saved $1200. They did a great job.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Spuck ... well, another Canuck here -- I lived in Toronto (U of T) for about 10 years before moving down south, and I am very familiar with the system there. It is pretty much the same here in the US.

A lot depends on
-- if go through your own insurance company (in which case you pay your deductible for the repairs) OR
-- if a second party accepts responsibility for the accident and consequent repairs -- in which case, they would either (1) ask you to send a car to a body shop of your choice, and payment will be made by that insurance company to the shop directly) OR (2) pay you their cost of the estimated repairs, leaving you the option to do whatever you want with the money.

Of course, they are often willing to negotiate the final cost of the repairs with the body shop, especially if new damages are found upon detailed inspection).

In my case, I fall in the second category -- the other party accepted the fault, and I was given a cheque.

how's the weather around TO....? Lots of snow, I guess at this time, right?

/MN
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM

You need to tell the shop what your up to.. But it's pretty much all or nothing.. Meaning get it all fixed or cut corners.. If you choose to cut corners plan on a sub-standard repairs.

Your not going to be able to have both. The majority of any GOOD shop is going to have a take it or leave it approach. Espically since the final bill is going to be larger than your $2500 check.. So do you want quality?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Please post your VIN so any potential future buyer of your car can find this thread and steer clear.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 PM

Looks like a good start. I hope you realize A/M stands for Aftermarket parts. Hood luck having that A/M bumper cover fit tight to your headlamp. Although they have written for an A/M Headlamp too. Every part they have written on your estimate is non-nissan.

All I will say is, when it comes to insurance you get what you pay for.

I would like to see the end result in how the panels line up.
they dont always use aftermarket, sometimes they use renew parts which are OEM
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
they dont always use aftermarket, sometimes they use renew parts which are OEM
Jason- this does not happen. When a OEM NEW part is stamped (a fender for example), the sheet metal is stamped with a Nissan logo. This trademark can only be stamped be a certified Nissan vendor.

When replica part is created (aftermarket) they are stamped with the vendor who stamped the part out. Ty-Chin for example. They cannot legally put the Nissan stamp on the panel.

When you look under the hoof of your car, look in the fender jambs, you will see a Nissan stamp, this is an indicator it's a OEM part.

Aftermarket parts are great for brakes, pads, tie-rod ends, shocks, radiators, a/c condensers, a/c compressors, fuel injectors.. but when it comes to cosmetic parts, sheet metal, bumper covers, headlamps, they do not have the same quality standards the OEM's use. Therefore there can always be fit issues.

You can put whatever parts you want on your car, but OEM is the only thing guaranteed to fit.

Some people have had great success making A/M look as good as OEM, but a trained eye can always see the difference. If the rest of you .org'ers are like me, very picky, you will notice the difference.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:58 PM

I just rebuilt the front end of my 03 Max. I used a certifit core support, right fender, and front bumper cover. The fit is excellent, and you'll never know the parts are aftermarket unless looking for the stamps on the parts. I would do yourself the money and go to certifit and get you the parts you need, and buff that headlight out. The damage seems very minor from the pictures you showed us. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4thgenmaxboy
I just rebuilt the front end of my 03 Max. I used a certifit core support, right fender, and front bumper cover. The fit is excellent, and you'll never know the parts are aftermarket unless looking for the stamps on the parts. I would do yourself the money and go to certifit and get you the parts you need, and buff that headlight out. The damage seems very minor from the pictures you showed us. Good luck!
+1

I repaired my old cavalier and my brothers corolla with certifit parts and they fit great! now.. to each its own.. there is people that will only be satisfied if they buy the expensive version of things.. I believe that a aftermarket bumper will look just as well as a original if you get a good job on it..
Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 AM

car accident

Exterior damage does not look too bad. Make sure to check beyond this - get wheel align etc. I can tell you from past experience "simple" body paint/repair is $400-600. It may be best to pay the $1k and use insurance. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Toolie

Here's what I did when a deer hit my car. I live in the great white north as well so this may not work for you.
Took the car to a body shop. Insurance adjuster said the car was a write off so I argued the value by showing them receipts for new engine, new tranny new suspension etc. I also told them I was ok with USED OEM PARTS. So I called a few junk yards and found a front "clip" for 2k which had most everything my car needed for the repair.
The donor car was charcoal gray, I had black, so basically they just needed to do labour and paint. Buying the oem parts separately would have cost quadruple. Then I went out and bought some OEM parts through a friend who worked at a dealership and got full discount. I brought the parts to the body shop and they credited me towards the deductible the full price of those oem parts, like engine cover, battery, dip stick, lot's of tiny things not included with the clip. I ended up paying 400 for my deductible instead of 1k.

I know that to replace and paint the bumper cover alone is 1k. That's assuming the rebar is still ok.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:36 AM

try to see if you can get a bumper and a light from the wrecker and put it on your self and make a claim for just the paint job. Do some research and see the price difference..

Quick Reply: Car Involved in Accident (Pics Included)