5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Polarg M-6 for reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Polarg M-6 for reverse lights

Got a set the other day off eBay. Took less than 5 minutes to swap em out. It's still daylight out but I can tell a difference already.

As stated above it's still daylight out but here is a pic of the M-6 in the driver side and the one that came with the car on the passenger side.

Will swap one back out later tonight for a night picture.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:14 PM

Nice, but you didn't swap the 5.5 gen tail?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:30 PM

No. Unfortunately after closer inspection I found out there was a hole in the passenger side taillight. It had a dead roach down in it and I didn't want water getting into it.

Edit: Apparently my camera sucks at night or I just didn't have it on the right setting but here is a night picture. Very noticeable difference.

Last edited by zidave; 11-18-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:30 PM

how about in terms of light projection behind the car,..

are they that much better,..

idk if its me and my tinted windows.. but my back up bulbs SUCK and i can never see

..and how much you pay?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Also interested! Looks nice from what I can see. Definitely also would like to know if it puts out any more light and how much (I also have tinted windows, not the easiest to see at night lol)
Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 PM

$13 shipped and I do notice a difference when backing up my driveway. I'd have to say probably twice as
bright as the standard bulb that came with the car.

My window tints are only 35% so I may notice more of a difference than you depending on what percent your tint is.

This is the set I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...item27aca2961a

They do have a slight blue tint to them. I read somewhere on here that the M-4's aren't as blue. I believe one guy said he applied a small amount of silver paint to it to eliminate the blue.

Last edited by zidave; 11-18-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
how about in terms of light projection behind the car,..

are they that much better,..

idk if its me and my tinted windows.. but my back up bulbs SUCK and i can never see

..and how much you pay?
Throw in some of these, can't remember the bulb number but it's just a bigger and much brighter wedge.

http://shopbig.com/Intermatic-ML7W4C...63/prices-html
Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by zidave
$13 shipped and I do notice a difference when backing up my driveway. I'd have to say probably twice as
bright as the standard bulb that came with the car.

My window tints are only 35% so I may notice more of a difference than you depending on what percent your tint is.

This is the set I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polar...item27aca2961a

They do have a slight blue tint to them. I read somewhere on here that the M-4's aren't as blue. I believe one guy said he applied a small amount of silver paint to it to eliminate the blue.
Nice find, zidave. I once tried white LED's in the backups. Although they looked stunning, the light output sucked... and backup light is kind of important.

I'm bookmarking this for future reference. (I'm so burned out from spending repair money on my car lately, that even a $10 bulb is making me wince. I need a few weeks to chill.)

Anyway, thanks, zidave. I've been wanting better backup bulbs for a while.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:11 AM

Looks really good on night shot!

Just bought a pair...

thanks for the link zidave!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 AM

No problem guys. Hope you're as happy with them as I am with mine.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:30 AM

I've been wanting to change mine too.
zidave, have you, or anyone for that matter, had any experience with Silverstar vs. Polarg reverse lights, in terms of which one illuminates more?
It looks like local autoparts I've visited don't carry Polarg bulbs, but I saw a set of silverstar at Autozone and I'm wondering if they are worth a shot.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 AM

looks goos bro they look like mine i have polargs as well. and nelsito65 i have had those silverstars they are a good deal brighter than oem but i dont think they are brighter than my polargs
Old 11-20-2009, 07:46 AM

Dang, I didn't even know SilverStar makes reverse lights. I know I love my SilverStar headlights.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:51 AM

ya they have fogs heads blinkers reverse lights ect ect most bulb types they are a def better than stock
Old 06-02-2010, 04:28 PM

So here I am, 7 months later, and I finally got around to trying out these bulbs in my backup lights. I put one in on the driver's side, put it in reverse with the ignition engaged. And... wow!! The light is very, very bright, and extremely white.

Then I came back a little later, and realized the backup lens was blue.

At an angle, the backup lens is still clear. But in direct, straight-on perspective, the blue bulb reflects its color into the lens, and the lens is suddenly blue. Blue?!

Honestly, I don't know what to think about it now. Going to wait until dark and reassess things.

On a side note, I finally realized that you need to remove the hard, plastic sill plate at the trunk edge in order to properly pull back the liner. "Duh" Moment, that one.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:58 PM

And pictures. (Pictures are always cool.) The paint looks like different colors because there's a flash on one, and not the other.

Here is the Polarg bulb on the driver's side, the OEM bulb on the passenger side:

The Polarg bulb is much, much better than the OEM bulb. Brighter and whiter, by any measure.

But then here is the backup lens when the light is off. Which is, like all the time.

There's no denying it. The lens is blue. That means cars behind you will be seeing your backup lens "blue.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's certainly unique. But on the other hand, that's a lot of different colors going on.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM

^^That is a strange effect. On a positive note, at least it somehow matches your license plate...
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
^^That is a strange effect. On a positive note, at least it somehow matches your license plate...
I was just thinking that! Fortunately, I just got new plates a couple months ago. (My old ones were getting rusty.) If I got them today, I'd be stuck with this gawd awful retro color theme they just introduced.

It's freaking hideous, and only works if your car is yellow and blue. Any other color, and it looks like crap. At least our old White ones worked with any color.

I think I'm going to go with it for a few days. Let the image rattle around in my head for a while. Sneak up on the car from behind... weird stuff like that.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I was just thinking that! Fortunately, I just got new plates a couple months ago. (My old ones were getting rusty.) If I got them today, I'd be stuck with this gawd awful retro color theme they just introduced.

It's freaking hideous, and only works if your car is yellow and blue. Any other color, and it looks like crap. At least our old White ones worked with any color.

I think I'm going to go with it for a few days. Let the image rattle around in my head for a while. Sneak up on the car from behind... weird stuff like that.
I think they're optional now. Sorry about the OT.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rhyno02
I think they're optional now.
I think so, too. It just doesn't make sense to have 2 separate plate designs. Weird, you know? Glad I've got the liberty plates, though.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
And pictures. (Pictures are always cool.) The paint looks like different colors because there's a flash on one, and not the other.

Here is the Polarg bulb on the driver's side, the OEM bulb on the passenger side:

The Polarg bulb is much, much better than the OEM bulb. Brighter and whiter, by any measure.

But then here is the backup lens when the light is off. Which is, like all the time.

There's no denying it. The lens is blue. That means cars behind you will be seeing your backup lens "blue.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's certainly unique. But on the other hand, that's a lot of different colors going on.
The bulbs look really bright when on, but I think the blue hue when off might be a cop magnet...
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
The bulbs look really bright when on, but I think the blue hue when off might be a cop magnet...
I'm convinced that cops ignore our cars 100%. I'm not sure I can do anything to it except open headers that would get me pulled over.

I have really bright LEDs in the corners, bright HID fogs (literally blinding), catless exhaust, WOT every other minute, and they don't even look at me twice. I even harass them when they're shooting radar (gunning it and doing double the speed limit right after I pass them when they have their windows down) AND STILL NOTHING!

If you don't mind the blue, I say go for it. The grocery getter is incognito.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
Even if there were laws about blue lights (and I wouldn't be surprised to find there are). The light isn't blue, it's unmistakably white when lit.

When unlit, there is a blue reflection in the lens... but that's unlit. I mean, by that reasoning, you wouldn't be allowed to paint your car blue.

It's certainly not something I expected, and I need to look at this for a few days before getting a solid opinion.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:49 AM

I'm done. The OEM backup bulbs are back in their lenses, and these Polag bulbs are sitting on the shelf somewhere, soon to be forgotten.

I just couldn't stomach the rice-boy blue when unlit. Shame, too, because when lit, these look and function extremely well.

Meh. Moving on...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:11 PM

^Perhaps there is (or can be made) a non-reflective version?

I would like these lights as well...but like you...I don't like the blue-ricer look
Old 06-05-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
^Perhaps there is (or can be made) a non-reflective version?

I would like these lights as well...but like you...I don't like the blue-ricer look
I've searched a number of times on ebay for bright white 921 bulbs. When filament-based, they all have that blue coating on the bulb. The only other alternative is LED, and that simply isn't bright enough to be functional. It looks absolutely gorgeous when lit, but is totally useless at night.

If you find something, I encourage you to let me know somehow. Bump this thread, or start a new one.

Good luck.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:10 AM

While I want brighter reverse bulbs, who doesn't, I will probably pass on these. With my luck, I will have cop pull me over for seeing the blue lenses and ticket me.

Last edited by TallTom; 06-07-2010 at 11:13 AM.