5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are all MOOG parts upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2slow
The gender is correct, but 'Sir' has a connotation of honor or distinction which isn't deserved.
Um, no. I've read many of your posts... don't undervalue your contributions to this forum. You've got my respect, so quit with the self-deprecating nonsense and accept it already.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Colonel
However I am unclear about one part. Spring isolators. I will be purchasing Moog tops, Illuminas and Eibach springs and EOM dust boots (per recommendation above).
Most aftermarket springs come with replacements. I typically reuse isolators for OEM setups. For those that are ****, or require them for purposes of building entire assemblies, the dealer is where to get them.

Originally Posted by 2slow
A rubber tube comes with the Eibach springs which should be able to take the place of the spring isolator (#11). Although none of the listed parts come with a replacement for the upper isolator (#15).
I never replace #15 either.

Ok, I guess I thought I knew what I was doing, but in reality its apparent that I dont.

I am trying to create a R/R situation. I want to build the replacement assembly outside the car and just basically pull the old assembly off and install the new assembly without having to disassemble the old assembly.

7,8,10 are part of the Moog assembly. 15 is the upper isolator which needs purchased outside the "kits". But what is 12?
#8 is NOT part of the Moog assembly. Unless you break a stud, you don’t need to replace this. #12 also does not need replacing unless it is completely rusted through.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Most aftermarket springs come with replacements. I typically reuse isolators for OEM setups. For those that are ****, or require them for purposes of building entire assemblies, the dealer is where to get them.

I never replace #15 either.

#8 is NOT part of the Moog assembly. Unless you break a stud, you don’t need to replace this. #12 also does not need replacing unless it is completely rusted through.
OK, given your advice and threads in the suspension forum, I dont want to disassemble the old stuff. Its salt encrusted, rusted parts, and I dont want to have to muck with it for another 10 years (like the OEM is currently floating along the highway).

Part #8 and #15 require dissassembly of the old parts to obtain or a purchase of a new part? And the recommendation for getting those in new parts is OEM?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM

OK, given your advice and threads in the suspension forum, I dont want to disassemble the old stuff. Its salt encrusted, rusted parts, and I dont want to have to muck with it for another 10 years (like the OEM is currently floating along the highway).

Part #8 and #15 require dissassembly of the old parts to obtain or a purchase of a new part? And the recommendation for getting those in new parts is OEM?
As far as I know, these are only available from Nissan. Consequently, you will pay dearly. The old parts will be fine to reuse, and if necessary clean, prime and repaint them.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 AM
Suspension Yoda

Every single thing in that picture on page 2 requires disassembly of the entire assembly to obtain. Even if you buy every part new from the dealer or wherever, you're going to have to mess with a spring compressor in order to get the new assembly together. Why not take advantage of the time you have with a spring compressor and reuse the old parts? I'll bet that with the exception of the parts we already mentioned (boots, bearings, mounts), every one of them is viable.

Colonel, where are you located?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Every single thing in that picture on page 2 requires disassembly of the entire assembly to obtain. Even if you buy every part new from the dealer or wherever, you're going to have to mess with a spring compressor in order to get the new assembly together. Why not take advantage of the time you have with a spring compressor and reuse the old parts? I'll bet that with the exception of the parts we already mentioned (boots, bearings, mounts), every one of them is viable.

Colonel, where are you located?
Since I am basically high jacking this thread with less than OP content I have created my own thread for debate instead of cluttering this one.

Alternate Thread Suspension link

Last edited by Colonel; 02-04-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 AM

Since I am basically high jacking this thread with less than OP content I have created my own thread for debate instead of cluttering this one.

Alternate Thread Suspension link
Meh. I did the same thing yesterday. We all do it to some degree. No worries.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Hey guys - new to the forum....I want to lower my car -- what suspension do you recommend?!?

j/k

Good thread boys....

I'll be doin' the same this spring -- just a matter of HOW MANY of these little components I choose to replace.
I made the mistake of NOT replacing the HATS or the Dustboots, last time around. MIStake.
I'll likely be replacin' the entire top, including bearings -- uh, and MOOG for me please!?

I'll be doin' the Tok Blues also, and hopefully get rid of my rattly, wobbly, uneven suspension issues for the life of this car.

oh, and I did the sway bar links (OEM) about a year ago, didn't make a dam bit of difference in the rattling. I'll call it: misdiagnosis.

Good input here -- thanks guys!

gr
Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 AM

I know this maybe a dumb noob question, but I've tried searching and can't find the right answer:

What are MOOG parts? Where do I get them from? What is MOOG?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by PininFarina456
I know this maybe a dumb noob question, but I've tried searching and can't find the right answer:

Then you didnt search at all, nor did you read this post very carefully. Doing a search in google showed 1,990,000 results the top result being the company Moog.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:27 PM

MOOG makes parts that are OEM replacements. Some consider them an upgrade, on a part-by-part basis, hence the thread title asking about that opinion. I'm thinking you skimmed over this stuff, and could find lots of your own answers if you slowed down.

However, here's a link (again) to a smorgasbord of front end parts from Energy Suspension and MOOG both, specific to the 5.5 gen:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...an+Maxima+2003

Last edited by Rochester; 02-05-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Then you didnt search at all, nor did you read this post very carefully. Doing a search in google showed 1,990,000 results the top result being the company Moog.
YEah - you tell'em Col.!!

....now can somebody tell me what the Best OIL for my Maxima is?!....

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 02-05-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
MOOG makes parts that are OEM replacements. Some consider them an upgrade, on a part-by-part basis, hence the thread title asking about that opinion. I'm thinking you skimmed over this stuff, and could find lots of your own answers if you slowed down.

However, here's a link (again) to a smorgasbord of front end parts from Energy Suspension and MOOG both, specific to the 5.5 gen:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...an+Maxima+2003
Thank you, does MOOG actually have there own website?

I did skim through the thread, but I am new to Nissan's in general and I've never heard of MOOG, just wanted more background on them in general.

Thanks again for answering my question.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah, I don't know. Go figure that out and let us know.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Suspension Yoda

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moog%20suspension&l=0

Last edited by djfrestyl; 02-05-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 PM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moog%20suspension&l=0[/url]

Since this thread has devolved, let me fix that for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=moog%20suspension&l=0
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM

My question about MOOG parts being upgrades is somewhat moot for me now, regarding the front sway bar end-links. It looks like my driver's side end-link is bad. I went to my mechanic's today, as a look-see in prep for new struts, rotors and pads. And he pointed out the one end-link was bad. It seems my tie-rod ends and ball-joints are fine, however.

So... I ordered a couple of MOOG front sway bar end-links.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Suspension Yoda

Love the Moog links. I've probably installed 10-20 pair of them.

Consider putting a hardened washer in front of that nut on the moog link, before it goes through the control arm bracket. I've seen a couple in which the nut (that isn't flanged) has pulled through the hole, enlargening it. Huge pain to remove.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 PM

Love the Moog links. I've probably installed 10-20 pair of them.

Consider putting a hardened washer in front of that nut on the moog link, before it goes through the control arm bracket. I've seen a couple in which the nut (that isn't flanged) has pulled through the hole, enlargening it. Huge pain to remove.
I'll print out that tip and include it with the end-links for my mechanic. Thanks, DJ!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 PM

It's all just longevity... Having a MOOG tie rod or ball joint will do nothing for you except extend the duration before the next time you have to change it.

I used MOOG LCA's with built in ball joints on my Saturn in Jan. no complaints!
Old 03-24-2010, 02:44 PM

New MOOG front sway bar end-links are on the car now, along with Energy Suspension FSB frame bushings. One of my OEM end-links was just a tiny bit loose, and the other rock-solid. So as part of a suspension and brake job, I had the end-links replaced too.

I must say, the steering feel is MUCH more secure. There's a solid "newness" to the way the steering wheel responds when held and turned. The feedback from the road through the steering wheel is... the best word is, again, solid.

Somewhat at a loss for the way to describe this, but overall I'm very content.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM

New MOOG front sway bar end-links are on the car now, along with Energy Suspension FSB frame bushings. One of my OEM end-links was just a tiny bit loose, and the other rock-solid. So as part of a suspension and brake job, I had the end-links replaced too.

I must say, the steering feel is MUCH more secure. There's a solid "newness" to the way the steering wheel responds when held and turned. The feedback from the road through the steering wheel is... the best word is, again, solid.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread. But I'm curious to know what the symptoms you were having initially were? Did you have any excess steering wheel play or something like that?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM

I'm willing to bet the bushings did more for you than the end links
Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 PM

Glad to hear that everything work out well, and that your finding the steering to be more responsive.

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Sorry if I'm derailing the thread. But I'm curious to know what the symptoms you were having initially were? Did you have any excess steering wheel play or something like that?
This the problem that I am currently experiencing, steering feels very loose and sloppy. A bit unnerving at higher speeds with all that extra steering and swaying ... So I am hopeful to obtain the same results as Rochester when I replace my lower ball and sway end links ... replacing any extra bushings with the ES bushings on the sub frame also sounds like a very good idea.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Well, I didn't think so until I got the car back and observed an improvement in steering feel. Things creep up on you, you know?

Originally Posted by CraigSE
I'm willing to bet the bushings did more for you than the end links
I think I could agree with that. Whatever the reason or collective reasons, I'm happy with the results.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Well, I didn't think so until I got the car back and observed an improvement in steering feel. Things creep up on you, you know?

I think I could agree with that. Whatever the reason or collective reasons, I'm happy with the results.
Being happy with the results is always good

I'll probably end up doing all of that work on my car eventually too.
New tires, and new brakes all around, everything minus front calipers, does not come for free. Will do the end links,bushings, struts and springs in the next few months when this financial blow has passed.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:10 AM

Dragging up an older thread, but wanted to pull all my parts together before swapping my springs. Using the search feature brought me to this thread.

1). Are strut mounts and top hats the same thing? I see both referenced.
2). Dust boots, only replaced if torn or should I replace them anyway.
3). Spring isolators not necessary? Again, should I replace them while apart?
4). Post #69 by 2Slow has a nice diagram for the front set-up, anything like that for the rear? My rear makes a hellava clunking noise, want to fix that while I'm at it. Keeping the OEM set-up, not interesting in dropping the rear.

Any other advise from the suspension GURU's is welcomed.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:30 AM

The diagram in post #69 shows all the parts of the assemble, the most common parts that wear and should be replaced are #5 #7 #8 #10 & #13
Old 04-24-2010, 05:48 AM

All of those parts are included in the MOOG strut mount kit except for the dust boots?

On a side note Ghost, I see that your sig says you are running a 235/50R17 tire, how much taller are these compared to the 225's, I'm guessing it's minimal? I want to fill the gap a little more, but don't really want the sidewall of a 55 series.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1800bucks
All of those parts are included in the MOOG strut mount kit except for the dust boots?

On a side note Ghost, I see that your sig says you are running a 235/50R17 tire, how much taller are these compared to the 225's, I'm guessing it's minimal? I want to fill the gap a little more, but don't really want the sidewall of a 55 series.
How much taller? For 50's, that would be 50% of the width times two. In this case, that would be a 10mm difference. Somebody correct my math if I'm off base.

Dust boots... if you have the opportunity to get a close up assessment of your boots, look at them for damage, cracks, etc. In my case, although they were over 7 years old, they were in good shape. So we just cleaned them up and reconditioned them with a generous dousing of silicon spray. Saved me $50. Since your car is a 2000, it's probably a good precaution to replace them... but maybe not; go look.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1800bucks

The stock tire for the 03 Max is 225x50x17, I have slightly increased the width to 235 and as Rochester has said the second number is a percentage of the width so the increase is really not going to be that noticeable. if your desire is to close up the gap between the tire and the wheel house opening the other option is to drop the car on different spring or go to coilovers and lower the car right down.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Does anyone know if these MOOG end-links have a seal around the grease fitting? Or is the grease contained simply by the shape of the thick rubber cowl? I just don't remember when I was looking at the parts before installation 9 months ago.

The reason I'm asking, a few days ago my front passenger-side suspension started screaming at me like a braying donkey just a few miles from home. I parked it in the garage, and it's just been sitting there, totally un-touched, for the last two days. Today I went out to inspect the situation... pulled the wheel, everything visually checks out. Then I tried rocking the car again, and nothing. No screech. I drove it around a little, and then a lot, and the problem is simply gone; (audibly, at least.)

So on the chance that the end-links (or my new ball-joints) are loosing grease, I bought a grease gun this afternoon, and the Advance Auto guy warned me not to over-pump the grease for fear of "blowing the seal". Is there actually a seal on these end-links? (BTW, my new ball-joints are also MOOG parts, installed 3 months ago. My tie-rod ends are originals.)

Here's a picture again of the end-links:

Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 PM

If the "Advance Auto guy" was a mechanic, he'd be fixing cars, not being a retail facilitator.

You'll see the boot expand when the grease gets there. Then stop.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
If the "Advance Auto guy" was a mechanic, he'd be fixing cars, not being a retail facilitator.

You'll see the boot expand when the grease gets there. Then stop.
I pulled the wheel again, and can easily pull the end-link flaps back with my fingers. There's no "seal" on the end-links. It's just a big rubber flap. And there didn't seem to be much grease inside.

So I went to use my shiny new grease gun, only to discover I couldn't clip the coupler in tight. Are there different sized couplers? IDK. Feel like an idiot. Sometimes it's humbling when your noob status at seemingly simple things is so red-faced obvious.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-02-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Suspension Yoda

No seal on the endlinks, just pump until it swells.

I've only known grease guns to have a 1/8" fitting, no other size.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:17 PM

No seal on the endlinks, just pump until it swells.

I've only known grease guns to have a 1/8" fitting, no other size.
Thanks for the confirmation, DJ.

So they're all 1/8" fittings? What the heck...? Now I feel truly stupid, and don't know why I can't get the coupler properly fitted on the valve.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Suspension Yoda

I believe so...

Usually you just push the tube on, and hit the trigger. You have to hold it there with some force, they don't click on and hold like an air compressor hose would.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:23 PM

Thanks for sharing the all the information on MOOG. It is refreshing to see good reviews on a replacement part that is so easily available outside of OEM.

A couple of months ago I bought some MOOG power rack boots that look good to me..
Old 01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I believe so...
Usually you just push the tube on, and hit the trigger. You have to hold it there with some force, they don't click on and hold like an air compressor hose would.
My mini-grease gun does click on, but it's a real bish. I also have to tug pretty hard to get it off.
BTW, there are different size fittings, but I believe those that come with Moog parts are the "popular" size that come with most grease guns. Get a straight line and push harder.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 Maxima and took it into a shop today because it has vibration at different speeds, sometimes at 35-40mph and always between 65 to 80. They quoted me 650.00 for parts, labor and alignment for doing the both outer tierods and the left inner tierods. How bad is this quote? And if I plan to get my own parts, am I only looking for the inner and outer tierods assembly? Also are there anyhting else that I need to check like ball joints or wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: Are all MOOG parts upgrades?