5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Are all MOOG parts upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Rochester - you made the right choice based on your preferences.
Hey, look at that! Right on cue, too. Sweet.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 AM

Yes, they're worth the extra $5, because they include strut bearings and replacement hardware.
Aha! So there is an extra bearing in there with the Moog strut mounts that KYB expects you to use or order separately. Got it.

ETA: FWIW I am going with Illuminas and H&R springs per all the threads here. Apparently when set to least-stiff the ride is close to stock with H&R's but the car sits an inch lower. That still leaves me with almost 4" of ground clearance, which is still more than my Toyota Matrix has, stock.

But you're right, most people set their Illuminas and forget them, so if you have a damping rate that's stock in a less expensive shock that works for you, that would be the right answer for you.

Last edited by homeyclaus; 02-01-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Bearing? You mean those 2 grey plastic rings? OK.

You know, the surface of my desk makes an awesome backdrop for photos like this.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Suspension Yoda

H&R + Illumina + setting at 1 or 2 =

Roch, I have a blotter on my desk, totally agree
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Bearing? You mean those 2 grey plastic rings? OK.
The plastic rings are simple thrust bearings.

I greased the bearing, but don't know if that is proper; the FSM is pretty crap on what and how to lubricate things.

Last edited by 2slow; 02-01-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 2slow
The plastic rings are simple thrust bearings.
Rather underwhelming what you get for $5, isn't it?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Suspension Yoda

**Strut bearings.

Try seeing what a faulty/busted one does to your steering.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by homeyclaus
Rather underwhelming what you get for $5, isn't it?
It's no wonder so many have issues with these things wearing out causing play and noises.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM

It's no wonder so many have issues with these things wearing out causing play and noises.
You're right, unless you called me stupidly cheap just for posing the question. Wonder why KYB leaves it out, according to the above responses? Who else leaves it out?

Monroe calls their mount a "strut bearing plate" (http://catalog.monroe.com/monroe/pro...catalog=MONROE), or at least it's a part of that assembly, and looks like a weird OEM 54322 (http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2046_2048.html).

Incidentally, OEM parts don't come with the part either - it's a separate part number.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 PM

You're right, unless you called me stupidly cheap just for posing the question. Wonder why KYB leaves it out, according to the above responses? Who else leaves it out?

Monroe calls their mount a "strut bearing plate" (http://catalog.monroe.com/monroe/pro...catalog=MONROE), or at least it's a part of that assembly, and looks like a weird OEM 54322 (http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...2046_2048.html).

Incidentally, OEM parts don't come with the part either - it's a separate part number.
Just pointing out you can only expect so much from a heavily loaded bearing with a retail price of $2.50 per unit.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Just pointing out you can only expect so much from a heavily loaded bearing with a retail price of $2.50 per unit.
$2.50 in the aftermarket - I'd bet that means that the Nissan part costs three times that. I guess my beef is that if everyone knows this is a $2.50 part that costs two hours of labor to change, why aren't they in every strut mount kit?

There are a lot of plastics that have some weird properties, like non-linear changes to the coefficient of friction under linear pressure increases - "self-lubricating" if you will. And they don't rust, and don't immediately dissolve in road salt. But none cost even half as much to injection mold, especially not in volume.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Suspension Yoda

OEM Strut Bearing is about $14.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:32 PM

OEM Strut Bearing is about $14.
Ouch.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Suspension Yoda

Ouch, exactly what a customer says when we pull the assembly apart and realize we need one and have to run to the local dealer

^^ The exact reason I tell my customers to get the Moog ones just in case.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM

The exact reason I tell my customers to get the Moog ones just in case.
Whoa... what do you mean by "just in case"? I will be using the MOOG plastic bearing, won't I?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Suspension Yoda

Yes, you will. It's so that we DONT have to run to the dealer, I tell everyone to get it. And, it's cheaper than OEM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Yes, you will. It's so that we DONT have to run to the dealer, I tell everyone to get it. And, it's cheaper than OEM.
OK, then. I'm good.

Thanks for all that feedback today, guys. I went back to the beginning, and re-read the posts in the context of where I am right now. There's some good information here.

I'll swing back around in the Spring and bump this thread again if I end up needing any other MOOG parts.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Hello all. New to the Maxima world with my 02 lsd 6speed. I am not new to the Nissan world. Also own a 93 Altima with kyb struts and eibach springs and kyb mounts and es bushings all over the place along with a es rsb. I am used to the mounts coming with bearings. I am honestly confused over this thread and hopefully someone could help me out. The moog part does come with the bearing? But its plastic? Not ball bearing? And to purchase a oem ball bearing it is $14? I dont want to skimp on my setup and would like the best possible solution. Stock suspensions now pops over bumps. I am ordering illuminas on eibachs and new strut mounts along with an addco rsb. I got a quote from shox.com and they wouldnt even quote me the rear strut mounts because they said they would be fine. I have never dealt with the rear suspension of this type. Is this true? And anyway should I get the moog front mounts alone with a stealership bearing? I have read of kyb mounts breaking quickly. My car has 125k on it if that helps determine if the rears should be replaced also. Thanks in advance for any help. I come from nissanclub.com as realeztace but the maxima support there is horrible. Altimas own.
Note that I will be doing all the work myself and I always have done suspension solo. I love suspension. While im at it anyone know if the es bsuhings all around are worth it? The rear trailing arm bushings look fun but with them being liquid filled I was wondering if this is by design and I would loose some positive caracteristics of the car.

Last edited by NismoAce; 02-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by NismoAce
Hello all. New to the Maxima world with my 02 lsd 6speed. I am not new to the Nissan world. Also own a 93 Altima with kyb struts and eibach springs and kyb mounts and es bushings all over the place along with a es rsb. I am used to the mounts coming with bearings. I am honestly confused over this thread and hopefully someone could help me out. The moog part does come with the bearing? But its plastic? Not ball bearing? And to purchase a oem ball bearing it is $14? I dont want to skimp on my setup and would like the best possible solution. Stock suspensions now pops over bumps. I am ordering illuminas on eibachs and new strut mounts along with an addco rsb. I got a quote from shox.com and they wouldnt even quote me the rear strut mounts because they said they would be fine. I have never dealt with the rear suspension of this type. Is this true? And anyway should I get the moog front mounts alone with a stealership bearing? I have read of kyb mounts breaking quickly. My car has 125k on it if that helps determine if the rears should be replaced also. Thanks in advance for any help. I come from nissanclub.com as realeztace but the maxima support there is horrible. Altimas own.
Note that I will be doing all the work myself and I always have done suspension solo. I love suspension. While im at it anyone know if the es bsuhings all around are worth it? The rear trailing arm bushings look fun but with them being liquid filled I was wondering if this is by design and I would loose some positive caracteristics of the car.
I suspect the OEM nissan part is also made of plastic (and looks so on the diagram), if the Moog one is too. Makes sense considering the environment they live in, if the material is right.

If I understand the thread right, Moog mounts come with their bearing. KYB mounts come with no bearing, and Nissan sells theirs separately. Nissan may also sell them in their strut kit omnibus part number (see my links posted earlier).
Old 02-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Nissan, Moog or KYB, the bearings are plastic.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the help. Is this the same design for the rear? Should I even replace the rear mounts?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM

MMmmmm...a closet of liquor........
Old 02-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Suspension Yoda

Rear mounts themselves don't really go bad. The bushings used with them can. Illuminas are the only struts I've seen thus far that include replacement rear bushings, though I wouldn't worry about them too much. Concentrate on the fronts.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM

Rear mounts themselves don't really go bad. The bushings used with them can. Illuminas are the only struts I've seen thus far that include replacement rear bushings, though I wouldn't worry about them too much. Concentrate on the fronts.
Also interesting - so Illuminas include stuff that at least some other packages don't?

I guess what would be helpful would be for someone who has access to the packages (say, you work at a parts place) and have a look to see what's included with each package and compile a list. You know, so nobody assumes and is stuck trying to track down one weird bushing while their car is up on jack stands.

Like this:

Front Strut Mounts:
Moog Front Strut Mount - includes bushing, plates, and bearing
Monroe FSM: - includes bushing, plates, and bearing
KYB FSM: plates, bushing
Nissan: all parts sold separately, or as complete kit w. strut

Rear Strut Mounts:
Moog:
Monroe:
KYB

Front Struts:
Tokico Illuminas: new bushings, no nuts or bushing plates
T. Blues: none
Monroe: new bushings
KYB:
Nissan: nothing unless bought as kit

And so on.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NismoAce
Thanks for the help. Is this the same design for the rear? Should I even replace the rear mounts?
Rear mounts have no bearings according to the diagram (makes sense, the rear wheels don't turn), so they should all be pretty much the same.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Rear mounts have no bearings according to the diagram (makes sense, the rear wheels don't turn), so they should all be pretty much the same.
The rear mount is just a rubber compliance bushing to allow for the shock to move/rotate relative to the chassis. If the rubber appears in good condition there is no reason to replace, unless you consider it preventative.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Suspension Yoda

^^Bingo. Not NECESSARY. But if your struts come with them, why not. If they don't, no harm.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I have been following this thread because of the recommendations of what to replace for what reasons and most of the equipment discussed is what I will be purchasing.

However I am unclear about one part. Spring isolators. I will be purchasing Moog tops, Illuminas and Eibach springs and EOM dust boots (per recommendation above).

What about spring isolators? I dont want ANY sounds from the suspension and am not looking at the springs for ride height reduction but more "stiff" feeling than my SE currently has. Are they included in the kits? Should they be purchase separately?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
However I am unclear about one part. Spring isolators. I will be purchasing Moog tops, Illuminas and Eibach springs and EOM dust boots (per recommendation above).

What about spring isolators? I dont want ANY sounds from the suspension and am not looking at the springs for ride height reduction but more "stiff" feeling than my SE currently has. Are they included in the kits? Should they be purchase separately?
A rubber tube comes with the Eibach springs which should be able to take the place of the spring isolator (#11). Although none of the listed parts come with a replacement for the upper isolator (#15).

Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Nice diagram, 2slow!

The strut mounts from MOOG are items #7 and #10. But what is item #5? For me that would be the FSTB bracket, but I don't recall there being any such part before installing the tower brace.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:46 AM

I used KYB and they included bearings for the front strut mounts.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 AM

Nice diagram, 2slow!

The strut mounts from MOOG are items #7 and #10. But what is item #5? For me that would be the FSTB bracket, but I don't recall there being any such part before installing the tower brace.
#5 is a paper gasket to seperate the top hat from the chassis. I assume it's to preserve the paint and prevent corrosion.

Originally Posted by kukx30de
According to Rock Auto and the manufacturers' websites, both the MOOG and KYB strut mounts come with bearings.

Last edited by 2slow; 02-03-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 02-03-2010, 10:15 AM

#5 is a paper gasket to seperate the top hat from the chassis. I assume it's to preserve the paint and prevent corrosion.
Still don't recall having such a part... but thanks for the ID, 2slow!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Still don't recall having such a part... but thanks for the ID, 2slow!
On mine they were firmly stuck to the top hat and I likely wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't seen the exploded parts diagram prior.

Good luck with the suspension work. And don't forget an alignment.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 AM

Good luck with the suspension work. And don't forget an alignment.
Thank you, sir. An alignment has been itemized on my list.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM

Thank you, sir. An alignment has been itemized on my list.
I hope you are using that 'Sir' loosely.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Ok, I guess I thought I knew what I was doing, but in reality its apparent that I dont.

I am trying to create a R/R situation. I want to build the replacement assembly outside the car and just basically pull the old assembly off and install the new assembly without having to disassemble the old assembly.

7,8,10 are part of the Moog assembly. 15 is the upper isolator which needs purchased outside the "kits". But what is 12?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 AM

I hope you are using that 'Sir' loosely.
Ma'am?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:47 AM

Yes, they're worth the extra $5, because they include strut bearings and replacement hardware.
Originally Posted by kukx30de
Ok then, which manufacturer does not? Do they all (they should) include the bearings and hardware then?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM

Ma'am?
The gender is correct, but 'Sir' has a connotation of honor or distinction which isn't deserved.

Ok then, which manufacturer does not? Do they all (they should) include the bearings and hardware then?
Don't know, but an odd-ball manufacturer/supplier may not provide them; as always, it's best to check.

Originally Posted by Colonel
7,8,10 are part of the Moog assembly. 15 is the upper isolator which needs purchased outside the "kits". But what is 12?
12 is the upper spring perch. It's a metal piece which locates the spring and transfers its load to the bearing to allow the assembly to rotate (for steering).

Quick Reply: Are all MOOG parts upgrades?