5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How do you install the gas pedal pad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 AM

How do you install the gas pedal pad?

I'm looking to purchase the gas pedal pad used in the 350Z and the 5.5 Gen Maxima w/HLSD. Here's a picture:

The original pedal pad is plastic; (yeah, plastic. It looks like rubber, but it's actually plastic.) I'm worried about snapping it while figuring out how it comes off.

Has anyone done this? If so, can you explain the assembly process, please?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:42 AM

More... the armature goes through a thick plastic loop behind the top of the pad, and another one after a 90 degree bend at the bottom. I think the top one can be released by removing a thick rubber clip, but I'm not sure, and I'm not going to risk breaking the gas pedal pad trying to find out. Like I said, it's plastic.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm looking to purchase the gas pedal pad used in the 350Z and the 5.5 Gen Maxima w/HLSD. Here's a picture:

The original pedal pad is plastic; (yeah, plastic. It looks like rubber, but it's actually plastic.) I'm worried about snapping it while figuring out how it comes off.

Has anyone done this? If so, can you explain the assembly process, please?
mine came with them...

seriously though i had to change the pedal in my 4th gen because it cracked and i remember there some screws that held the pedal tight to the armature but once they were out you just slid the pedal off...again not to sure. maybe that will help IDK

B
Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM

thats something that jerk hotshot would say

im gonna take a look and pic soon john maybe it will help. i bet the fsm would help, but the link is down, and i dont have the printed version..well i do but not the section i need

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
mine came with them...

B
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
thats something that jerk hotshot would say
Indeed.

Curious to see if your accelerator armature differs from mine. I could post a mirror-reflected image of the backside, I suppose.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Indeed.

Curious to see if your accelerator armature differs from mine. I could post a mirror-reflected image of the backside, I suppose.
i have the FSM on this computer...let me check real quick

B
Old 10-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

You unclip the old pedal and clip the new one. It's that easy
Old 10-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
You unclip the old pedal and clip the new one. It's that easy
And you make profit by collecting underpants.

There has to be a technique, because it sure isn't obvious.

[edited] No offense, Roy. You're a good guy. It just feels like that has to be more to it.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-21-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM

thats funny

I check in the FSM and all i can find is how to adjust the position of the pedals back and forth movement. i could be missing something though

B
Old 10-21-2009, 05:36 PM

Did you get it yet?
Old 10-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

[edited] No offense, Roy. You're a good guy. It just feels like that has to be more to it.
How did you know I colected underpants. Only ****ty dirty ones too.

Really though. If I recall correctly, when I installed mine, I removed the gas pedal assembly and installed the AE pad on it by uncliping the rear section which allowed me to remove the old pad.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 AM

Really though. If I recall correctly, when I installed mine, I removed the gas pedal assembly and installed the AE pad on it by uncliping the rear section which allowed me to remove the old pad.
So you removed the entire gas pedal assembly to do this? It wasn't something you could do otherwise?

Last edited by Rochester; 10-22-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Did you get it yet?
No. I want to figure out how to remove the old one and put the new one on before dropping $36 + shipping.

There's a long-shot possibility the armature is different, so I'm trying to figure that out, too.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 AM

No. I want to figure out how to remove the old one and put the new one on before dropping $36 + shipping.

There's a long-shot possibility the armature is different, so I'm trying to figure that out, too.
cutting wheel + super glue = success!

B
Old 10-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

The armature is slightly different as you wont mount the whole thing on. I take it you are buying the AE gad pedal correct? It comes with the entire armature. You merely swap pedals between the two set-ups.

EDIT: I just noticed you are buying a 350Z pedal, so I am not sure about how it attaches in the back. If I were you I would purchase the AE and be done with it. They look the same.

Last edited by rroderiques77; 10-22-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

So you removed the entire gas pedal assembly to do this? It wasn't something you could do otherwise?
No. Ours has sensor wire attached to it and the AE does not. Remember our cars are drive by wire.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:25 AM

No. Ours has sensor wire attached to it and the AE does not. Remember our cars are drive by wire.
Yep. We're drive-by-wire. Got that. Nissan made a big marketing brouhaha about drive-by-wire in 2002. Don't know if it really makes a difference, but yeah, that's what we have in our 5.5 Gens.

The armature is slightly different as you wont mount the whole thing on. I take it you are buying the AE gad pedal correct? It comes with the entire armature. You merely swap pedals between the two set-ups.

EDIT: I just noticed you are buying a 350Z pedal, so I am not sure about how it attaches in the back. If I were you I would purchase the AE and be done with it. They look the same.
I'll admit, I'm confused now about the "AE pedal" vs. the one at the top of this thread. Pictures of the HLSD Maxima show the same gas pedal pad as in the first post here.

Also, if you look at the image at the top, and the image of the plastic OEM pad right after it, you'll observe there's a half-inch cutout on the bottom side in both. I'm wondering if that's there to facilitate attachment?

Here's the link to Courtesy Nissan for just the pad; I'm not looking to spend more money on an AE armature that I'm not going to use:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/18110f-...ml?cPath=1956&
Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 AM

Yep. We're drive-by-wire. Got that. Nissan made a big marketing brouhaha about drive-by-wire in 2002. Don't know if it really makes a difference, but yeah, that's what we have in our 5.5 Gens.

I'll admit, I'm confused now about the "AE pedal" vs. the one at the top of this thread. Pictures of the HLSD Maxima show the same gas pedal pad as in the first post here.

Also, if you look at the image at the top, and the image of the plastic OEM pad right after it, you'll observe there's a half-inch cutout on the bottom side in both. I'm wondering if that's there to facilitate attachment?

Here's the link to Courtesy Nissan for just the pad; I'm not looking to spend more money on an AE armature that I'm not going to use:

i you sure is dont go on top of the gas pedal?

B
Old 10-22-2009, 07:53 AM

i you sure is dont go on top of the gas pedal?
Yes, i is sure is dont. This whole thing started for me a few months ago out of this thread here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...em-pedals.html

Look at the picture HotShot took of his HLSD gas pedal. There's nothing behind the aluminum pad except the armature.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:58 AM

Yes, i is sure is dont. This whole thing started for me a few months ago out of this thread here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...em-pedals.html

Look at the picture HotShot took of his HLSD gas pedal. There's nothing behind the aluminum pad except the armature.
sorry i cant type today

ill be damned you are right, but the brake pedal looks like its an overlay. why differ with the gas pedal

B

Last edited by NissanMan97; 10-22-2009 at 08:00 AM. Reason: adding
Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

If I could only look at the other side of it
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 AM

ill be damned you are right, but the brake pedal looks like its an overlay
It is. The brake and clutch are thick, rubber overlays. Not the gas.

If I could only look at the other side of it
Yeah, I understand... it feels like lots of guesswork without getting a good visual. I was looking at it with a mirror the other night. I'm going to take a reflected image of the backside this evening to help us study this thing better.

Worse case, I just order the thing and take my chances. But then we wouldn't be having all this fun!

Last edited by Rochester; 10-24-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Yeah, I understand... it feels like lots of guesswork without getting a good visual. I was looking at it with a mirror the other night. I'm going to take a reflected image of the backside this evening to help us study this thing better.

Worse case, I just order the thing and take my chances. But then we wouldn't be having all this fun!
give me a minute and ill go take a pic with my iphone and a flash light.

B
Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

How much more is the AE gas pedal assembly from Dave B?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:56 AM

beat ya to it..check it rochester..

maybe it helps..

give me a minute and ill go take a pic with my iphone and a flash light.

B
Old 10-22-2009, 09:05 AM

^^^

It does, Hotshot. Well done. (You could probably delete image 3 and 5.)

Your pictures (although fuzzy and freaking huge) demonstrate that the HLSD gas pedal pad is attached to the armature in exactly the same way as the non-HLSD plastic pad is attached. That means this $36 pad is a 1:1 replacement part.

That's one question answered. Thanks!

What we still can't figure out is how to actually detach it. I believe that upper loop has a thick rubber retention clip, but I'm not positive.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM

I got down and looked at the pedal pad again this morning, and realized that thick rubber retention clip doesn't "slip up", it "unhooks". Took a small flathead screwdriver, and successfully unhooked it from the clip that's over the armature. At that point, I think you "unclip" the top of the pad from the armature, then slip the pad off the bottom of the armature. A little WD-40 will likely help with that.

This is totally do-able.

I'm going to order the gas pedal pad from CourtesyParts.com as my next little car-thing. Sometime in the next few weeks. (At the moment, I've got one of the last sets of all-season rubber floor mats en-route... seriously, one of the last sets. The company that makes them for Nissan went out of business because of the Toyota floor-mat SNAFU.)

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll swing back into this thread after I get the new one, and write-up the process (such as it is.) Not that it needs a "write-up" per se , but if there are more details or pics to make it more clear, I'll put it down.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Come on Rochester....Be honest were you trying to do this blindfolded at first? When you recieve it...It will come as an entire pedal assembly and you will really see how to remove it cause you'll be using your accelerator pedal rod since yours is an electronic throttle control and the Courtesy assembly is actually for a mechanical accelerator assembly....you see it's really straight forward! GL
Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Come on Rochester....Be honest were you trying to do this blindfolded at first? When you recieve it...It will come as an entire pedal assembly and you will really see how to remove it cause you'll be using your accelerator pedal rod since yours is an electronic throttle control and the Courtesy assembly is actually for a mechanical accelerator assembly....you see it's really straight forward! GL
This is just the pad, CMax03, not the whole assembly. I wanted to make sure it's a direct replacement; that I didn't need the whole assembly just to get the aluminum gas pad.

The pad is only $33. I'm sure the whole assembly would cost lots more. But you're right that if I had the whole assembly, new and in my hands, it would be self-evident. Turns out all I need is the pad.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-24-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM

Hey, CMax... I just noticed Houston in your bio. Those mats I mentioned were ordered from Sterling-McCall Nissan in Houston. Their parts dept was very helpful. Although I don't think Kevin Bacon was involved.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Well, I've got this gas pedal showing up from Courtesy Nissan in a couple days, along with the dead-pedal from the 350Z.

I anticipate the gas pedal will be pretty straight forward. The dead-pedal, on the other hand... that will take some work, hacking at the plastic backing. Should be a fun diversion this weekend!

Old 11-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Well, I've got this gas pedal showing up from Courtesy Nissan in a couple days, along with the dead-pedal from the 350Z.

I anticipate the gas pedal will be pretty straight forward. The dead-pedal, on the other hand... that will take some work, hacking at the plastic backing. Should be a fun diversion this weekend!

I used a band saw to cut it and a belt sander to smooth it out. The hardest part was lining it up in the car to where it was properly fastened. Make sure you remove your floor mat out prior.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM

I used a band saw to cut it and a belt sander to smooth it out. The hardest part was lining it up in the car to where it was properly fastened. Make sure you remove your floor mat out prior.
Thanks for the tips, Roy. I definitely want to take my time to do it right. I've a few friends who excel at the whole handyman thing, so I may end up asking for help if my tools don't suffice.

I'll be sure to show you a pic of the finished product when it comes together!

BTW, seeing a picture of your interior is what clued me into this little mod. So thanks again for that.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM

I installed the 350Z Dead Pedal today. That was no big deal at all, and I'm very happy with it. Helps to have a table saw... or in my case, a friend with a table saw.

I also installed the 350Z (or 5.5 Maxima HLSD) Accelerator Pedal pad today. And contrary to reasonable expectations, it DOES NOT simply clip on. It was a total PITA, which I can explain in a bit. Took some pictures, too.

Regardless of the issues, I did eventually come to a happy place.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Looks sweet man, congrats! I wish I had a third pedal like you..
Old 11-07-2009, 04:34 PM

im liking that dead pedal..any plans for a little write up?

I installed the 350Z Dead Pedal today. That was no big deal at all, and I'm very happy with it. Helps to have a table saw... or in my case, a friend with a table saw.

I also installed the 350Z (or 5.5 Maxima HLSD) Accelerator Pedal pad today. And contrary to reasonable expectations, it DOES NOT simply clip on. It was a total PITA, which I can explain in a bit. Took some pictures, too.

Regardless of the issues, I did eventually come to a happy place.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
im liking that dead pedal..any plans for a little write up?
Hey, Hotshot. No, not for the dead pedal. That's been done, many times over.

Hang on for a bit and I'll explain why the accelerator pad was such a pain.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:34 PM

Here’s the thing I didn’t realize until I got into this little project: the aluminum pedal pad does not come with any fittings. You have to cannibalize the plastic pad in order to manufacture the necessary parts. Seriously.
(1) At the top of the OEM plastic pedal pad, behind the pad, there’s a plastic clip that wraps around the back of the post and holds the post against the top of the pad. Use a small flat-head screwdriver to unclip it from the left side; the side facing you. (see picture)

(2) Grab the top of the pad firmly, and pull it down, unclipping it from the shank of the post. It will hinge on the elbow at the bottom of the post, swinging down. (see picture)

(3) Observe the two pads side by side (see pictures). Notice that the clip is actually attached to the top of the plastic pad. You need to take a razor blade and cut it off.

(4) The hinge side of that clip will be larger than the other side. File it down just enough to fit the aluminum pad.

(5) Now here’s the freaky part: get out the hacksaw and cut out the mid-section of your plastic pad. (see picture) Like I said, the aluminum pad doesn’t come with any fittings or clips, and unless you do this thing, the pedal will just flop around on the post.

(6) Cutting out the fitting isn’t enough, however… because it won’t fit. You need to use a grinding wheel (or a file and some patience) to shape the fitting, slowly grinding it down until you can slip it into the aluminum pad. (see picture).

(7) Even with all this, if you put the pedal back on the post, it still has a little too much play twisting side to side. So I bought some heavy duty, indoor-outdoor, double-sided adhesive padding. (see picture)

(8) Cut a section of adhesive pad to fit down the length of the channel on the back of the pedal. Also line the c-clip section of the pedal with this adhesive pad.

(9) Now put the pedal on the post, bottom end first.

(10) Push the top end down over the post, and use a pair of pliers to snap the clip into place.
That’s it. Did I mention it was a pain-in-the-back? But worth it. Totally worth it. I’m extremely happy with my 4 new pedals.

Now if only they would magically supply limited slip mechanics to my differential!

Last edited by Rochester; 11-07-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Some pictures:

Old 11-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Some more pictures:

Quick Reply: How do you install the gas pedal pad?