5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

octane rating higher than 91 bad too?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 AM

octane rating higher than 91 bad too?

Our cars call for 91. I've been using 93 faithfully, and over the past few months I'm one of those guys who's experienced pre-ignition BS. Did some chevron treatments, changed plugs and air filter and it went away 95%. Lately it started coming back a little bit. I filled up with 91 for the first time and its quieted back to 95% gone. Is 93 as bad as 87, since our cars want 91???
Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 AM

I am no expert but I don't think 93 would do any damage because I think it says to use at least 91. I've been running 93 for a while with no problem, actually back when gas was really expensive I was using 89 and the only thing that happened was that my gas mileage went down.

I don't know if this is stupid question but, did you try the fuel filter?
Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 AM

doesnt make much sense..or does it..lol...im interested in some smarter responses..heres my initial response..maybe for some reason the higher octane has a hard time igniting.. which would go along with the theory if you ran race fuel stock..the car would not be able to properly burn it in its stock state...but im not sure if the 2* octane difference is really THAT big of a difference...such as comparing 91/93 vs 104/105

ive always run 93... ill run a tank of 91 for the fun of it next week and see if theres any difference..who knows..

edit:: brand has ALOT to do with it in terms of their detergants and other additives .. example--local no name 93 octane.. vs ..shell 91 octane.... i would take the shell 91...

Last edited by mist max2000; 10-06-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Maury
Our cars call for 91. I've been using 93 faithfully, and over the past few months I'm one of those guys who's experienced pre-ignition BS. Did some chevron treatments, changed plugs and air filter and it went away 95%. Lately it started coming back a little bit. I filled up with 91 for the first time and its quieted back to 95% gone. Is 93 as bad as 87, since our cars want 91???

There is no difference to your car between using 91 or 93 octane. I believe the maxima uses a 10:1 compression ratio on the air/fuel mix in the cylinder, and this is a higher compression than a lot of cars use. You'll notice that when you buy gas and you see the yellow sticker with the big "93" on it that it does NOT say "93 Octane". Instead, it says "MINIMUM octane rating: 93"

Nissan tells you that you need to use fuel that has a minimum octane rating of 91 because fuel that has a lower octane rating could ignite from heat generated from the high compression before the spark plug fires, hence "pre-ignition". Using fuel with a minimum octane rating of 93 is using fuel that is even further protected from pre-ignition than the 91.

This is why people tell you using premium gas won't give you performance gains.

It is more likely the gas station you were buying 93 from didn't actually have gas with a minimum octane rating of 93 from what you pumped, or you have other mechanical issues with your car causing pre-ignition. I can assure you, however, that using 93 octane instead of 91 will NOT cause your car to knock.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM

thanks everyone. good to know.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rydicule
There is no difference to your car between using 91 or 93 octane. I believe the maxima uses a 10:1 compression ratio on the air/fuel mix in the cylinder, and this is a higher compression than a lot of cars use. You'll notice that when you buy gas and you see the yellow sticker with the big "93" on it that it does NOT say "93 Octane". Instead, it says "MINIMUM octane rating: 93"

Nissan tells you that you need to use fuel that has a minimum octane rating of 91 because fuel that has a lower octane rating could ignite from heat generated from the high compression before the spark plug fires, hence "pre-ignition". Using fuel with a minimum octane rating of 93 is using fuel that is even further protected from pre-ignition than the 91.

This is why people tell you using premium gas won't give you performance gains.

It is more likely the gas station you were buying 93 from didn't actually have gas with a minimum octane rating of 93 from what you pumped, or you have other mechanical issues with your car causing pre-ignition. I can assure you, however, that using 93 octane instead of 91 will NOT cause your car to knock.
Well put
Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

93 octane should make your car run even better since the knock sensor won't pull back timing as much.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
93 octane should make your car run even better since the knock sensor won't pull back timing as much.
not really the engine was designed to run 91. anything more would be like trying to run 89 in a car that needs only 87 and expecting performance gains.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:39 PM

So let me get this stright...These cars are design to take 91 not 93. I been putting 93 since i bought the car (june) because that what the last owner told me.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Maxin03
So let me get this stright...These cars are design to take 91 not 93. I been putting 93 since i bought the car (june) because that what the last owner told me.
save money and put 91 in. I mean 93 won't kill the engine, but you won't get any performance gains vs 91. Although some have reported knocking in 91 vs 93 but that is very odd and rare and probably due to crappy gas because ive been filling 91 as long as i can remember and i can't even find a 93 gas station anywhere.

I mean it makes sense right? putting 91 in your honda civic won't do anything right?
Old 10-06-2009, 08:53 PM

cool, so im start puttin 91 and see. lol
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Available octane differs from state to state. Here in OH we have 87,89,93 9/10. Every now and then you find 91 and 94. 93 is fine for the car particularly in the hot summer months.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 AM

Your car will run the same way with 91 or 93 octane fuel. As someone said in an earlier post you have to run at LEAST 91 octane fuel in order to safely operate your car.

That is because fuel with an octane level of less than 91 may prematurely detonate due to the compression and heat within each cylinder of the VQ engine and in turn cause damage to the piston and other components.

93 octane won't make your car run any better or worse. The only reason you may possibly NEED it is if the compression ratio of your engine was increased.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:20 PM

Hmmm, I was just checking my owner's manual and it says:

FUEL RECOMMENDATION:
Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index) number (Research octane number 96)

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available, unleaded regular gasoline with an octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Research octane number 91) can be used.

However,for maximum vehicle performance, the use of unleaded premium gasoline is recommended.

CAUTION:
Using a fuel other than that specified could adversely affect the emission control devices and systems, and could also affect the warranty coverage. Under no circumstances should a leaded gasoline be used, since this will damage the three-way catalyst.

Reformulated gasoline:
Some fuel suppliers are now producing reformulated gasolines. These gasolines are specially designed to reduce vehicle emissions. NISSAN supports efforts towards cleaner air and suggests that you use reformulated gasoline when available.

Gasoline containing oxygenates:
Some fuel suppliers sell gasoline containing oxygenates such as ethanol, MTBE and methanol with or without advertising their presence. NISSAN does not recommend the use of fuels of which the oxygenate content and the fuel compatibility for your NISSAN cannot be readily determined. If in doubt, ask your service station manager.

If you use oxygenate-blend gasoline, please take the following precautions as the usage of such fuels may cause vehicle performance problems and/or fuel system damage.

* The fuel should be unleaded and have an octane rating no lower than that recommended for unleaded gasoline.

* If an oxygenate-blend, excepting a methanol blend, is used, it should contain no more than 10% oxygenate. (MTBE may,however,be added up to 15%.)

* If a methanol blend is used, it should contain no more than 5% methanol(methyl alcohol,wood alcohol). It should also contain a suitable amount of appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors. If not properly formulated with appropriate cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors, such methanol blends may cause fuel system damage and/or vehicle performance problems. At this time, sufficient data is not available to ensure that all methanol blends are suitable for use in NISSAN vehicles.

If any undesirable driveability problems such as engine stalling and hard hot starting are experienced after using oxygenate-blend fuels, immediately change to a non-oxygenate fuel or a fuel with a low blend of MTBE.

Take care not to spill gasoline during refueling. Gasoline containing oxygenates can cause paint damage.

Aftermarket fuel additives:
NISSAN does not recommend the use of any fuel additives (i.e.fuel injector cleaner,octane booster, intake valve deposit removers, etc.) which are sold commercially. Many of these additives intended for gum, varnish or deposit removal may contain active solvent or similar ingredients that can be harmful to the fuel system and engine.

Guess I've really been screwing up my engine by using 87 octane with 10% ethanol!
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by qstick777
Guess I've really been screwing up my engine by using 87 octane with 10% ethanol!
I think you'd be screwed your rubber fuel lines more than anything else. lol
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM

93 is just more difficult to burn (needs more compression) compared to 91 or 87.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:18 AM

The MINIMUM octane rating is clearly stated as 91 or above octane.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:19 AM

Well I guess technically it is stated as minimum recommended...
Old 10-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by OhOhMax
The MINIMUM octane rating is clearly stated as 91 or above octane.
Minimum recommended is 91.

Absolute Minimum accepted is 87.

Thats why you have a knock sensor. There are plenty of cheapos who run 87 in their maxes.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:29 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
not really the engine was designed to run 91. anything more would be like trying to run 89 in a car that needs only 87 and expecting performance gains.
Minimum of 91 octane. Here in Texas, the choices are 87, 89 and 93, meaning my only real option is 93 octane. And unless the ECU has a restriction of total timing allowed, using 93 octane should allow additional spark timing, making 93 octane no more difficult to ignite than 91 octane and give a small performance gain.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Teddie18

93 octane won't make your car run any better or worse. The only reason you may possibly NEED it is if the compression ratio of your engine was increased.
Our cars are old enough that most of us have at least some carbon build-up on the top of the pistons which would slightly raise the compression ratio.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM

Minimum of 91 octane. Here in Texas, the choices are 87, 89 and 93, meaning my only real option is 93 octane. And unless the ECU has a restriction of total timing allowed, using 93 octane should allow additional spark timing, making 93 octane no more difficult to ignite than 91 octane and give a small performance gain.

Same here. I don't remember ever seeing 91 - only 87, 89, and 93. I think Sunoco also offers 94.

And I can't remember the last time I found a gas station that didn't have a "this contains up to 10% ethanol" sign on the pumps.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Don't you know who I am?

I've never heard of this before, could you elaborate a bit? I was under the impression the ignition timing wasn't a variable unless pre-ignition occurs, where the timing would be adjusted (at a performance loss) to accommodate lower compression needs.

The only way you'd see any performance gain from a higher octane is if compression was increased, which I can't really understand how the ECU would automatically adjust the compression for the fuel octane unless it routinely compressed the mixture to pre-ignition to test the octane, which seems VERY unlikely.

I can't see how using higher octane fuel would give performance gain unless you actively tuned the ECU for higher compression.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Rhyno02;7238997]...actually back when gas was really expensive I was using 89 and the only thing that happened was that my gas mileage went down...QUOTE]

Now I wonder if this is why my gas mileage decreased. I thought the check engine light was finally effecting MPGs, but I believe I started using 87/89 when gas hit $4/gallon a couple years ago. I will start using 91 when I get my 5.5 gen next week (hopefully), but will 93 make any difference?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 PM

if your car is tuned-up correctly and the gas is good, no, 93 wont make a difference over 91
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Rydicule
I've never heard of this before, could you elaborate a bit? I was under the impression the ignition timing wasn't a variable unless pre-ignition occurs, where the timing would be adjusted (at a performance loss) to accommodate lower compression needs.

The only way you'd see any performance gain from a higher octane is if compression was increased, which I can't really understand how the ECU would automatically adjust the compression for the fuel octane unless it routinely compressed the mixture to pre-ignition to test the octane, which seems VERY unlikely.

I can't see how using higher octane fuel would give performance gain unless you actively tuned the ECU for higher compression.
The ECU should allow as much timing as the spark sensor will allow so the higher the octane, the less likely it is the spark sensor will need to intervene and pull back timing.

Additional spark timing (assuming the ECU allows it) also makes more power by increasing cylinder pressure.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by ewakefield
if your car is tuned-up correctly and the gas is good, no, 93 wont make a difference over 91
My car pings A LOT less on 93 than it does on 91 octane. When I was in Phoenix last year, it sounded like my engine was filled with marbles on 91 octane at part throttle.