5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Who has a NWP VIAS block plate on their 5.5 gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:24 AM

Who has a NWP VIAS block plate on their 5.5 gen?

I've been researching the VIAS block plate for the 3.5L. It's an inexpensive, and simple bolt-on. And the NWP polished plate is a very attractive hunk of metal.

From what I can gather, on a modded 3.5 the butterfly valve in the VIAS flutters at the high end because air turbulence is compromising the vacuum actuator. Personally, I'm thinking the valve mechanism itself is compromising the air flow when wide open; (I mean, how wide open can you be when there's something in the way?)

Comments about HP gains in the high-end seem all across the board regarding the effective RPM range. I'd like to get a better handle on that. Although one of the more consistent opinions is that the low-end loss is virtually imperceptible (on a modded 3.5).

Some other questions: did you buy a new VIAS gasket, or were you content to reuse the original? Did anyone with a 3.5L run the dyno numbers before/after to prove out the theory? Did you use penetrating oil on the original plate bolts, or is that not advisable for some reason?

I know it's an inexpensive, DIY mod that can be easily reverted to stock... but I'd like to read some experienced opinions beforehand.

Thanks, guys!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[edit] Finally deleted the VIAS, June 2010.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-03-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: God, I hate leaving typo's in the thread title!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:52 AM

I'm with you on the gain coming from removing the blockage but either way it's a good mod.

Modding is all about getting more air to flow through the engine so the more you're modded the better this should be. Peoples experiences may be varying based on their mods and expectations. This is a subtle mod that makes a difference but still a small one. The only way to know if you like it is to try it.

The original gasket is fine to reuse. It's not a crush gasket that deforms under pressure. You'll see what iI mean when you take it out.

You can use lube in the bolts if you want.

Ha, you still have a typo in the title.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 10-04-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I used Permatex grey on mine w/ no gasket.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 AM

just an fyi-... those oem 3 bolts are soft.. so make sure the wrench is on them pretty solid..

and it def give you alot more pull on the upper end.. but you feel the zippy tq drop...its kinda give and take.. your low end pull will be slightly less..but your high end will be noticeably better... on a privately owned closed to the public road, i ran with a alti 3.5 where my mods were intake/nwp plate.. and his were intake/catback(not sure if any more).. and i put a solid car length on him from 2 second gear on..

i re-used the oem gasket...
Old 10-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Toolie

oem gasket or rtv sealant or aluminum flange sealant should be fine.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM

i have it and personally it is one of my favorite mods IDK y... I personally cant say i felt a difference in performance with the addition of new mods but i can tell you that there was no loss... i really dont know what to even look for as far as dyno goes, but its just a mod that i love
Old 10-04-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
i have it and personally it is one of my favorite mods IDK y... I personally cant say i felt a difference in performance with the addition of new mods but i can tell you that there was no loss... i really dont know what to even look for as far as dyno goes, but its just a mod that i love
Good to know you don't feel any low-end loss, but I don't understand the rest. I mean, I'm happy that you're happy, but if you didn't feel a change in engine behavior, why is the block plate one of your favorite mods?

I respect your opinion, it's just that I don't understand it.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
The original gasket is fine to reuse. It's not a crush gasket that deforms under pressure. You'll see what iI mean when you take it out.

You can use lube in the bolts if you want.
Thanks for the details on the gasket design, and the go-ahead on penetrating oil. That's good feedback on the installation process.

Originally Posted by mist max2000
just an fyi-... those oem 3 bolts are soft.. so make sure the wrench is on them pretty solid.
That's also good advice on the installation process. If I pursue this, I'll make sure to have a perfect fit socket on the wrench and to crank without twisting. Thank you.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
...and it def give you alot more pull on the upper end.. but you feel the zippy tq drop...its kinda give and take.. your low end pull will be slightly less..but your high end will be noticeably better.
I wonder if I'll feel the low end loss, seeing as I've got spacers and a light crank pulley? What RPM range are you considering low-end and high-end?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

have it on mine, didnt notice a damn thing. To me its eye candy and makes the engine look a bit nicer. As far as gains, I didnt feel anything.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by pbn85
have it on mine, didnt notice a damn thing. To me its eye candy and makes the engine look a bit nicer. As far as gains, I didnt feel anything.
Well... yeah, but you said the same about phenolic spacers.

Don't take that wrong, it just is what it is. If you didn't notice the efficiency gains of the spacers (which are fantastic), it's kind of a given you wouldn't feel any differences with the block off plate, either low-end loss or high-end gain.

"eye candy" -- most definitely. His hand-polished plate with the raised logo is downright pretty. I wouldn't mind seeing that under the hood.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well... yeah, but you said the same about phenolic spacers.

Don't take that wrong, it just is what it is. If you didn't notice the efficiency gains of the spacers (which are fantastic), it's kind of a given you wouldn't feel any differences with the block off plate, either low-end loss or high-end gain.

"eye candy" -- most definitely. His hand-polished plate with the raised logo is downright pretty. I wouldn't mind seeing that under the hood.
I dont know about that. People say adding a test pipe (straight pipe by removing the cat) wont result in any gain that you can feel b/c the stock cat is very free flowing. However with my test pipe I felt a difference in the way the car revved up and I even told myself not to expect anything from it.

BUT, the block off plate is cheap so you dont lose much either way.

I think the fact that I have so many other bigger power adders makes it hard to feel how much gain other small mods may give.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:25 PM

I think the fact that I have so many other bigger power adders makes it hard to feel how much gain other small mods may give.
Nice! You're quick on your feet tonight, pbn85.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:37 PM

I try, sir

Go for the block off plate though.

Actually, I plan on hitting the dyno next week to get my current #s. The latest editions were spacers and the block off plate. So I should be able to let everyone know how much extra of a gain both give. I think that should be interesting.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:40 PM

I have the plate and it is a very easy install. You don't need to use anything on the bolts if you have any meager strength in your arms its not hard. lol.... the gasket is fine to reuse.

The plate is definitely worth the money. I felt no loss but a slight high end power gain. As for eye candy, this thing looks hot!

Install plate= profit
Old 10-04-2009, 03:11 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...o-comparo.html

there ya go...

i just got my 5.5 gen (came from a 98) and i think this will be my first performance mod. looks like it makes good gains.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
I felt no loss but a slight high end power gain.
What is "high end"? Seriously, if the gains are all slightly south of 6000 RPM, then there's not much of a point to it... unless you race.

If, however, "high end" is slightly north of 4000 RPM, then yeah, that would be sweet.

^^^ This is the most important question for me.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Toolie

IIRC the plate is open to 3800, then close until 5200 then open again at 5200. So I would consider high end would be 5200 where the plate opens up again and then starts to close about 5400 or so because of the turbulence.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-04-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Good to know you don't feel any low-end loss, but I don't understand the rest. I mean, I'm happy that you're happy, but if you didn't feel a change in engine behavior, why is the block plate one of your favorite mods?

I respect your opinion, it's just that I don't understand it.
like i said, i dont really kno why i like it so much... maybe its the way it looks and i rather not have the butterfly... but i may have done good... before the plate i never really drove the car pass 110mph so idk what the car acts like without the block plate at high speeds... but to me its a mind thing it just feels better in my head lol... nismology is the best person to give you info on this mod
Old 10-04-2009, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
Thanks, man! I wasn't looking in the "all motor" section. Nice find. There were some good posts there, as well as this great post in Nissanclub:

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-vs-stock.html

In particular, I like this collection of comments from the OP there:
My thoughts on the VIAS delete vs Stock.
  • 3800rpm seems to be the magic number in this comparison. Below 3800 the Stock setup is better but after that its all gains with the NWP Blockplate and the VIAS delete!!!
  • From 3800 all the way to redline with the VIAS delete I showed an average 8hp gain across the board with a peak of 10.5hp at 6000.
  • From 2700 until 3800 the Stock setup was good for an average of 8hp over the VIAS delete with a peak of 9hp at 3400.
  • From 3800 until redline the VIAS delete made an average of 8tq more with a peak of 10.5tq at 4200.
  • From 2800 until 3800 the Stock setup was good for an average of 10tq more with a peak of 16tq more at 3400.

The verdict..... Its really just up to what you want to drive with, I am choosing the NWP Block plate with an unmodifed IM for now.

I like the power from 3800rpm until redline rather than power below 3800rpm, I feel the losses down that low are worth the gains I see up high. When I stomp on the gas I dont stay below 3800 for very long, this makes the VIAS delete a beneficial mod IMHO.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-04-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

I appreciate these posts, guys. Thank you.

I'm going to keep researching and taking my time, but here's my plan. (OK, well, here's tonight's plan) --

Enjoy the spacers for a few months and lay low this winter, saving for struts/rotors/pads/tires when winter is over. After blowing my wad on that somewhat expensive collection of maintenance/mods, treat myself to a new replacement Apexi filter and the NWP VIAS Block Plate in the Spring.

Zelinsky would probably disagree with this, but I've found it's best to walk slowly into new mods, one at a time.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

I try, sir

Go for the block off plate though.

Actually, I plan on hitting the dyno next week to get my current #s. The latest editions were spacers and the block off plate. So I should be able to let everyone know how much extra of a gain both give. I think that should be interesting.
Yeah. But you really wont know which helped more, the spacers or the plate..
Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 PM

I know this thread hasn't been touched in 5 days...but I just installed the VIAS plate today when I got home from work. I gotta say for the price and simplicity of the install its definitely something worth trying! I ordered it along with the nwp spacers (which aren't instaled yet). I put it the block plate in and it took me about 10 minutes to do on a hot engine. The removal was self explanatory and with the right tools shouldn't be difficult. I reused the oem gasket btw. After the install and getting gas I decided to try it out. Bc I have a 4AT I didn't notice that much of a loss on the lower end but definitely felt a different and somewhat stronger pull. I feel like it was stronger from appx 4000 or 4500 rpm and upward. It also felt like it wanted to keep pulling as the revs got higher. I forgot to mention the only mods I have on the car are suspension and an injen intake.

Take it how you want. After I'm done 'playing' with it, I wanna see how it affects fuel economy. My belief is that even tho you're removing a restriction which improves high velocity airflow, low engine speed cruise will have a less "tuned" airflow due to the higher volume without the blocking from the butterfly valve.

Anyway hope that helps you some with your decision!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM

the op has no hlsd and is sad..so no one cares
Old 10-09-2009, 05:46 PM

Great info Rochester.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by byrdman164
Anyway hope that helps you some with your decision!
Absolutely. There was some good feedback and research that came out of this, yours included. I'm going to play with this mod in Spring 2010, after Winter winds down.

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
the op has no hlsd and is sad..so no one cares
OK, Hotshot. In a straight line, on dry pavement, HLSD is just extra weight. But if it makes you feel like you've got some edge, then more power to you, man. Perception is 90% reality anyway.

Originally Posted by vntperformance
Great info Rochester.
Thanks. That's nice of you. Like I said, some good opinions gathered on this. And that's all I was looking for... opinions and advice.

This forum is (mostly) awesome. I wish I'd participated years ago.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 PM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaa!!! i kinda never fell into that HLSD, VLSD thing neither.. but hey why am i even commenting on this im auto...
Old 10-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Well I for one wish to say thank you Rochester for the great question and result topic ... this is a mod that i may never have though of or considered but after reading the great posting dialog (thanks to all that offered some in) I too will most likely pick up the vias blocking plate when I order my spacers ... should work out to be a great combination
Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
Well I for one wish to say thank you Rochester for the great question and result topic ... this is a mod that i may never have though of or considered but after reading the great posting dialog (thanks to all that offered some in) I too will most likely pick up the vias blocking plate when I order my spacers ... should work out to be a great combination
Very cool, Ghost. I know you're going to plotz over the spacers.

You know, it would be neat if you did that installation in stages. Run the spacers for a few weeks, and then install the block plate and see where you're thoughts are on the shift in HP.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Very cool, Ghost. I know you're going to plotz over the spacers.

You know, it would be neat if you did that installation in stages. Run the spacers for a few weeks, and then install the block plate and see where you're thoughts are on the shift in HP.
I agree on doing mod's one at a time and gauge the improvements if any, not to mention it gives you something still to look forward to doing ... great discussion thread I have enjoyed the reading.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
yeeeeeeeeeeeeaaa!!! i kinda never fell into that HLSD, VLSD thing neither.. but hey why am i even commenting on this im auto...
haha auto ftw! I'm right there with ya unfortunately
Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 AM

I agree on doing mod's one at a time and gauge the improvements if any, not to mention it gives you something still to look forward to doing...
Exactly! I always have something in the queue, whether it's hundreds of dollars like the spacers, or something as simple as $4 LED's... but there's always something going on to keep me interested and entertained.

You should see my spreadsheet! LOL

It's the hobby that keeps me from buying a new G37S. The longer I can stay happy with my ride, the better off I am in the long run.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM

It's the hobby that keeps me from buying a new G37S. The longer I can stay happy with my ride, the better off I am in the long run.
Gotta agree with ya on that one..except I bought my car used and I'm still paying it off lol. But I've learned its cheaper to love the car you have..and much more fun!
Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 PM

i have the block plate layin around sumwhere hear..and i have the TS ecu. anyone kno how the power gains are with this set-up? because i went to the track and i actually had slower times then i did w.o it..just want to find some info out. thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by shawn's maxima
i have the block plate layin around sumwhere hear..and i have the TS ecu. anyone kno how the power gains are with this set-up? because i went to the track and i actually had slower times then i did w.o it..just want to find some info out. thanks
See post #16

You're not going to see much out of that block plate if it's just "layin around sumwhere hear" (sic)
Old 10-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shawn's maxima
hmmm strange... u did the SSIM mod?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Toolie

I'll make you one Jim, unless you really want the bling factor
Old 10-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
I'll make you one Jim, unless you really want the bling factor
Go for it, Ghost. If the plate is a keeper, you can always swap it for the pretty NWP product down the road.

And either way you go, I'm interested in reading your opinions afterward.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:31 PM

What is "high end"? Seriously, if the gains are all slightly south of 6000 RPM, then there's not much of a point to it... unless you race.

If, however, "high end" is slightly north of 4000 RPM, then yeah, that would be sweet.

^^^ This is the most important question for me.
I would say 4500-5000+ is what I am saying by high end. I do 1/4 mile racing so it makes a nice difference for me. Although I havent been able to hit the track since I installed my block plate and obx headers...

Zelinsky would probably disagree with this, but I've found it's best to walk slowly into new mods, one at a time.
No I definitely agree with you on that one. I may be moving quickly on my mods but mostly because I thought our race track was getting shut down by the city this year (now we're good for 5 more years ).

I did extensive research on all my mods because at my old job I spent most of my day reading on these forums and others. I have to say I did move a little too hastily because now I am backtracking to fix my SES and AF ratio that are screwed up from my amateur header install (DIY) lol

But for something like this NWP plate it is pretty much a no brainer. There are no drawbacks or worries about screwing anything up. It is very simple install and inexpensive. A monkey could put that thing on if he was drunk and high and still have no problems
Old 10-15-2009, 05:39 PM

Put it on today, and it is well worth the money. Car feels more responsive. NWP Intake Spacers combined with the VIAS Block Plate feels real nice. NO power loss noticed.

The GAB sounds very healthy. I would love to see a dyno with the spacers and vais block plate!

Quick Reply: Who has a NWP VIAS block plate on their 5.5 gen?