5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
With the tein SS setup you can spend the extra bucks and buy the EDFC unit so you can adjust damping force from the comfort of your cabin with the push of a button.

To adjust the height you need to use the wrench and do that manually
Im lost...you can do that now? looks like im gonna be reading a lot today

is it a **** or something in the car of like a little computer panel?

thats cool as hell

B
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
Im lost...you can do that now? looks like im gonna be reading a lot today

is it a **** or something in the car of like a little computer panel?

thats cool as hell

B

yeah, i have it. Its a Box wired to all four dampers. You control it all from that one box. Button for Front dampers, and then one for the rear. It helps out alot when i drive through places i know will have rough roads..by the press of a button, i just soften my ride. Works wonders. You can even have presets for different driving conditions.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by a33i30
Just so damn expensive!!
But worth every cent if you're serious about handling and ride comfort.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30
Just so damn expensive!!
Isn't it amazing how the good stuff usually is....
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
we can agree to disagree, but to the OP goodluck
Go take a ride in Puppetmaster's...he's got Tein SS that he bought off me. The reason why TEIN SS rides nice is the STOCK upper mounts vs. pillowball mounts for the other coilover setups. It really makes a difference in noise and ride comfort.

Report back.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by burnurass
Go take a ride in Puppetmaster's...he's got Tein SS that he bought off me. The reason why TEIN SS rides nice is the STOCK upper mounts vs. pillowball mounts for the other coilover setups. It really makes a difference in noise and ride comfort.

Report back.
i've driven in phantomV's car who has the Tein SS, im not saying they are harsh nor am i giving it a bad review i would actually tell somebody to get em because they are comfortable, but this "OEM" ride thing is where we probebly will forever disagree with everybody so ill just leave it be and whatever you guys say is what it is
Old 09-21-2009, 10:37 AM

In all honesty if the prices were similar i would buy the JIC's over the SS because i personally think its a tad more on the comfortable side (it is now noisy but again im the second owner)
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 AM

In all honesty if the prices were similar i would buy the JIC's over the SS because i personally think its a tad more on the comfortable side (it is now noisy but again im the second owner)
then again he sent them in to get serviced. Take a ride in them once he gets them back and then tell us if you feel the same way.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by pbn85
then again he sent them in to get serviced. Take a ride in them once he gets them back and then tell us if you feel the same way.
you do have a point... i will... not to hate but i cant seeing it getting too much better than my JIC's but ill give it the benefit of the doubt... whats the spring rate between stock and these coilovers??? thats what it comes down to more or less
Old 09-21-2009, 02:15 PM

Man... I'm glad to be back on this forum. You guys are a wealth of information! When the timing is right, Tein SS here i come!
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Where is the best prices to buy the coilovers? Do they come with dustboots? I'm looking to do a suspension overhaul and I realize its just not coilovers there are other aspects that should be upgraded while I'm in there. TIA
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM

agreed if you are looking for that "close to stock" ride then just go get some Progress or H-techs with illuminas... i dont care what anybody here says about coilovers and whichever brand they bring up... coilovers is not a "close to stock ride" quality
Did you find the Tein SS harsh? Did you use stock or stock type mounts?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM

How are these Tein SS in the winter months? Are they more rigid/hard in the colder weather. I live in Ottawa, Ont., Canada and I'm looking for a replacement for my stock suspension (over 80,000miles feeling really soft and big body roll). I had my decision made on Illuminas/H&R setup but then I came across this thread. I'm willing to pay for the extra quality and comfort if they will work for me.

Also with the cold weather comes snow. Sometimes many cm's (inch's for all you south of the border). With that I don't want to turn my Max into a snowplow with such an extreme drop with this suspension. I figured 1.5" all around would be as far down as I would like to go (especially during the winter months). Are they adjustable in this manner?

Thanks for the info guys!

V.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:50 PM

i've been through quite a bit of different suspensions, but Tein SS have been unmatched and always been one of my favorite mods.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Phantom-V
yeah, i have it. Its a Box wired to all four dampers. You control it all from that one box. Button for Front dampers, and then one for the rear. It helps out alot when i drive through places i know will have rough roads..by the press of a button, i just soften my ride. Works wonders. You can even have presets for different driving conditions.
seriously the coolest thing ive ever heard of! maybe im a dork or something. Cant wait to get another max.

B
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Toolie

The rear of the car does not sag, it is an optical illusion, the front wheel well is bigger as is with more and more Japanese cars...

Old 09-22-2009, 10:01 AM

Any comments on this Ebayer? Reputable or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...cessories#shId
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Did you find the Tein SS harsh? Did you use stock or stock type mounts?
NO sir i did not find the Tein SS to be harsh and i would actually recommend them based on comfort all im saying they are not "OEM" ride quality
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by viperxbr
Any comments on this Ebayer? Reputable or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...cessories#shId

i would contact the seller for info also. they seem to be legit though. also, on Teins website for North America, find a dealer near you and see what their pricing is also. sometimes a dealer can get you a discounted rate. their will be a list of dealers for different vehicles to make sure you call the right one for import.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:36 PM

NO sir i did not find the Tein SS to be harsh and i would actually recommend them based on comfort all im saying they are not "OEM" ride quality
you got the GLE man. The tein SS wont offer a GLE-type ride but It sure matches the already rough SE kind of ride. A stock SE isnt the most comfy too.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:45 PM

you got the GLE man. The tein SS wont offer a GLE-type ride but It sure matches the already rough SE kind of ride. A stock SE isnt the most comfy too.
again i can agree with that... been a very long time since ppl actually made any sense without being stupid... i owned a GXE 2000 though, i just dont think they are the same but for argument sake you can say they are close to "OEM" ride quality as far as coilovers go, doesnt means they are close to stock ride quality but arguably the closest you will get... again i will say Tein SS yes get em... if you are looking for a OEM ride then coilovers may not be for you (stock springs are) if you hit a pothole no Coilover system IMO feels like "OEM"
Old 09-22-2009, 05:08 PM

again i can agree with that... been a very long time since ppl actually made any sense without being stupid... i owned a GXE 2000 though, i just dont think they are the same but for argument sake you can say they are close to "OEM" ride quality as far as coilovers go, doesnt means they are close to stock ride quality but arguably the closest you will get... again i will say Tein SS yes get em... if you are looking for a OEM ride then coilovers may not be for you (stock springs are) if you hit a pothole no Coilover system IMO feels like "OEM"
Not sure if you were calling me stupid or what not...In any case OP, get the tein SS. Guaranteed you will love them. Im done trying to convince anyone the car rides like stock (comfort wise). If you believe it, great.

Last edited by pbn85; 09-22-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Not sure if you were calling me stupid or what not...In any case OP, get the tein SS. Guaranteed you will love them. Im done trying to convince anyone the car rides like stock (comfort wise). If you believe it, great.
no i wasnt calling you stupid nor was i trying to be sarcastic... i really meant it... u made perfect sense
Old 09-22-2009, 05:28 PM

After reading his posts for a few months now, I've realized that Hustler is OK... he tends to write quickly with a stream-of-thought style is all. And he's passionate. It takes some getting used to.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
After reading his posts for a few months now, I've realized that Hustler is OK... he tends to write quickly with a stream-of-thought style is all. And he's passionate. It takes some getting used to.
took months huh, after a couple of years i realised that the org will never stop calling me hustler lol takes some time getting use to... thanks for the kind words (i think) and yes i can agree that i am a passionate guy
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM

thanks for the kind words (i think)
Yes, group hug.

Now shut up and get me a beer!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:46 PM

hustle is cool as the other side of the pillow..just a hater of cattman stuff..he loves OBX and jic for some reason
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
hustle is cool as the other side of the pillow..just a hater of cattman stuff..he loves OBX and jic for some reason
hahahaha why you say that??? me and brian is working on restoring one of his mufflers that somebody else wrecked

Old 09-22-2009, 05:50 PM

:

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yes, group hug.

Now shut up and get me a beer!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:01 PM

wait..what hustle has cattman on his car??
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM

yup, he has one..isn't that something
Old 09-22-2009, 06:06 PM

moreso in the car lmao!!! well to make thing clear seeing that we can now ***** this thread out lol... i've never had a problem with cattman nor Brian C Catts (same ppl) i've always had problems with whenever somebody posts some kind of aftermarket product or item that cattman also has, you get a bunch of swangers who just jumps in and feels as though the best thing to say is "i love my cattmans" then leave, like why do i need to hear that? i like your cattmans too, and?????????? hopefully i can find some tips for it before i have to go buying one new (you know me and their prices )
Old 09-22-2009, 06:11 PM

Lets try to keep this thread about Tein SS or other related suspension mods. This thread has a lot of good ideas and critisicm for those who are in the market for suspension for their max. Tein FTW !!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:14 PM

JIC coilovers FTW just kidding just kidding (but JIC's FTW though) tein FTW also
Old 09-22-2009, 06:23 PM

jic a1s garbage hs headers and tein ftw!

JIC coilovers FTW just kidding just kidding (but JIC's FTW though) tein FTW also
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 PM

must you always flash them headers in my face lol... if i only had a 5th or 5.5 when they were in business... if i saw one for sale i would go bankrupt and disassemble any header setup i currently have for them lol... one mod i sooooo wish i could've had IDK why
Old 09-23-2009, 12:05 PM

Well I see there are ALOT of Tein ****** here. Which is fine, by all means you are entitled to your opinion. Each one of you, BUT that is just it... YOUR opinion. The only person that could speak up here and say one way or the other definitively that one offers the supreme stock feeling of one vs. the other is someone who has had evey combination possible on their ride and had time to test each one and give a unbiased review. I say who on here has had every combination??? Very few have had more than 2 different combo's and I would venture to say that those where so un-happy with the one they had ANYthing would have been better.

Now, I'm not saying the Tein's are bad by any means, because I don't know. Where would one find the R&D that has been done on all these available suspension combo's on our specific car hmmmmmm. I would say nowhere, so people come here, take the word of mouth as the gospal and might end up with something they didn't exactly want, but now have so much money in it that its to late to turn back.

The OP gave us a pretty decent idea of what he was looking for and who here based on his original needs can say for certain that the Tein's are for him? Maybe so, maybe no I think balance is lacking in the thread on what could offer the OP ideas as to his upcoming set up.

So I'll offer my lopsided opinion FTMFW, check my sig...... again. Here's my thoughts of the set up I have:

Lowered, 2" in the front 1 1/2" in the back. Filled the wheel wells nicely and no rub, period!

About as damn close as you can get for a stock ride. But a stock ride is just that, STOCK. I have no hard bumps, jarrs, bouncing, sway... nothing.

No, I mean NO body roll. You lay in the turn and you will have sore arms from trying to hold yourself in the seat BEFORE the car rolls. If there is some its minute, and the amount wouldn't benefit a street car.

I have no sag... no acceleration sink, or whatever you like to call it. If I shoot off the line then yeah it'll sink a little bit. But won't any car, thats not set up to run circuit races???

The optical illusion I spoke of, thanks that was confirmed also. The car sits level.

And my test included many high speed passes to which the car felt planted and stable. I felt very comfortable running at the speed I was. Have no doubts about running her up to 140.

As for side bite, I have took the highway off ramps (you know the ones that basically do a full circle back onto themselves, below the rode you where on) at a comfortable 80mph and the only thing I noticed where the tires begging for mercy. It had NO under-steer and NO oversteer (common with mis-matched suspension components). It simply stayed in place the whole time. I believe at anytime I could have kept asking her to do more and she would have come along. The tires would fail first before the suspension.

Thats what I believe the OP is looking for unbaised looks at his alternatives, not something being thrown down his throat because its the "flavor of the month."

FTW.

Last edited by J-Rod; 09-23-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Well I see there are ALOT of Tein ****** here. Which is fine, by all means you are entitled to your opinion. Each one of you, BUT that is just it... YOUR opinion. The only person that could speak up here and say one way or the other definitively that one offers the supreme stock feeling of one vs. the other is someone who has had evey combination possible on their ride and had time to test each one and give a unbiased review. I say who on here has had every combination??? Very few have had more than 2 different combo's and I would venture to say that those where so un-happy with the one they had ANYthing would have been better.

Now, I'm not saying the Tein's are bad by any means, because I don't know. Where would one find the R&D that has been done on all these available suspension combo's on our specific car hmmmmmm. I would say nowhere, so people come here, take the word of mouth as the gospal and might end up with something they didn't exactly want, but now have so much money in it that its to late to turn back.

The OP gave us a pretty decent idea of what he was looking for and who here based on his original needs can say for certain that the Tein's are for him? Maybe so, maybe no I think balance is lacking in the thread on what could offer the OP ideas as to his upcoming set up.

So I'll offer my lopsided opinion FTMFW, check my sig...... again. Here's my thoughts of the set up I have:

Lowered, 2" in the front 1 1/2" in the back. Filled the wheel wells nicely and no rub, period!

About as damn close as you can get for a stock ride. But a stock ride is just that, STOCK. I have no hard bumps, jarrs, bouncing, sway... nothing.

No, I mean NO body roll. You lay in the turn and you will have sore arms from trying to hold yourself in the seat BEFORE the car rolls. If there is some its minute, and the amount wouldn't benefit a street car.

I have no sag... no acceleration sink, or whatever you like to call it. If I shoot off the line then yeah it'll sink a little bit. But won't any car, thats not set up to run circuit races???

The optical illusion I spoke of, thanks that was confirmed also. The car sits level.

And my test included many high speed passes to which the car felt planted and stable. I felt very comfortable running at the speed I was. Have no doubts about running her up to 140.

As for side bite, I have took the highway off ramps (you know the ones that basically do a full circle back onto themselves, below the rode you where on) at a comfortable 80mph and the only thing I noticed where the tires begging for mercy. It had NO under-steer and NO oversteer (common with mis-matched suspension components). It simply stayed in place the whole time. I believe at anytime I could have kept asking her to do more and she would have come along. The tires would fail first before the suspension.

Thats what I believe the OP is looking for unbaised looks at his alternatives, not something being thrown down his throat because its the "flavor of the month."

FTW.
I agree that unbiased oppinions are needed so that one may have better understanding for what one is getting into. now one is "whoring" Teins here, they are just simply stating that ever since they got this setup, the others that they have owned do not compare. If you look back throughout this thread you won't see anything about...man, i had Tein SS and they were horrible..am i not correct? again, these are just oppions that the OP asked for.."is Tein SS the route to take?". all we can go off from is what we have experienced with them.

Again, i like the fact that you have included your setup so that he may have more options to look at rather than one. I stated a little while back that this this thread will give anyone a wealth of information when they are looking for Tein SS's or any other setup.

Once again, He asked for Tein SS so please don't knock the orgers if they own them and happen to love them...Thank you.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:50 PM

Whoring was a strong word, but so are all the opinions.

I'm not knocking anyone, but no one is giving him other options, but a few people that keep getting looked over. So maybe the one's for Teins could give the org'ers without, a word as well.

Last edited by J-Rod; 09-23-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Phantom-V;7216829]

Once again, He asked for Tein SS QUOTE]

True, good point.

EDIT: While he asked about the Teins, almost everyone of his questions and/or concerns matched my opinion of my set-up... minus adjustability. But I must ask him, "if you have a wife and a baby, how much you going to be adjusting a good ride." If you get the right set-up you shouldn't have to adjust... unless OP plans on going to the track every now and again.

Last edited by J-Rod; 09-23-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Tein SS Coilovers