5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

alternator bolt WTF

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

alternator bolt WTF

i am pissed. i am replacing the alternator and i searched for info before hand and went through motorvate's how-to. how is it that everyone glosses over the ridiculously hard to get to lower alternator mounting bolt? it's diabolical. if i had any idea it was this tough to change the alternator i would have taken it to a garage. i don't even know who to take it to because i have always done my own work(except when my steering rack went three days before my wedding) and i am pissed. sorry to vent, am i missing something in my rage? is it possible to loosen the lower bolt from the belt side?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Ummm....did you unbolt the AC compressor and move it to the side? This should give you access to that bolt....
Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 AM

I just did my alternator a few days ago. That bolt is a bear, for sure.

Take out all of the AC Compressor mounting bolts and move the compressor around while jamming your hand/arm up there until you grab it. I think moving it forward as much as possible worked for me, although it was super tight. I wasnt too comfortable with the amount of pressure (I believe) was being put on the AC lines, but it didnt hurt it.

My buddy helping me who has bigger arms/hands was unable to get to the bolt. I just barely got it, and the next day noticed that I had a bruise on my hand something where something was jabbing me while trying to get that bolt... Not pleasant.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 PM
nycnissans

Its not that bad.......but a long 14mm wrench is a must
Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

easy install.. pain in the A$$ is the power steerring belt...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:23 PM

PB Blaster the $hit out of it. I changed mine a couple months ago and soaked everything for about an hour before attempting.

My WTF moment came when the tensioner bolt just snapped in half
Old 08-06-2009, 08:40 PM

I hate stubborn bolts!
Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 PM

Remember that the belt tensioner adjuster bolt is reverse-threaded, so you still turn it to the left to loosen tension.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:40 PM

So left loosens tension and right tightens it...isn't that correctly threaded?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by dandjjohnson
So left loosens tension and right tightens it...isn't that correctly threaded?
Correct for this application, but it's still cut with left-hand threads, i.e., reverse. If it was right-hand threaded, or "normal", then you'd have to turn it to the right to loosen. Czech it out for yourself, and you'll understand.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:16 PM

the threads are reverse-threaded and turning clockwise does tighten because the flange of the nut is below the bracket pushing the bolt down. anyway, thanks to being in new england, all the bolts were seized and took tremendous force to loosen. i broke the pulley tensioner bolt and had a tough time with the a/c bolts as well. part of my difficulty was doing this on the street without the car jacked up. it was always easy on my '92 but if i had known what i was in for i would have taken it to a friends with a driveway (before someone says something, i do not recommend working under a car that is parked in the street. proceed at your own risk). I was able to get it out only after removing the fan shroud and i was also uneasy about how much strain i had to put on the a/c lines but no damage. i got the p/s belt too but after seeing how much of a pain that was going to be i left the old one on.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Play with my balls

Uhhhh.......Vastmax and I removed my alternator last night, which we thought would be a nightmare, but everything went pretty darn smoothly. Nothing held us up for more then a few minutes.

- Jack up ride
- Remove wheel
- Remove wheel well guard
- Remove passenger's side splash guard under motor
- Remove Alternator Ground
- Unplug Alternator Harness
- Loosen Idler pulley bolt
- Loosen Idler pulley tensioner
- Remove Belt
- Remove Idler pulley assembly held by 3 bolts
- Remove 4 bolts that holds AC compressor
- Remove 2 bolts for the Alternator, 1 on bottom and the other on top
- Profit

I can see where you would have a hard time by removing one of these items before the other. So, we preferred to stick to this plan and it worked out. Install in reverse order.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 AM

I did not need to remove either the wheel or the idler assy held on by 3 bolts. Otherwise, yep, that's pretty much it.

Regarding the reverse-threaded tensioner bolt, the good news is that it's exactly the same bolt for '95 models on up through 2003 models, and probably through 6th gen Maximas as well. Therefore it's easy and cheap to find at the junkyards, if yours happens to break. When mine broke, I got the entire tensioner pulley and bolt assembly with a 90 day warranty on the pulley for like 7 bucks at the local pick-a-part. Otherwise it's dealer-only.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by vinco
I did not need to remove either the wheel or the idler assy held on by 3 bolts. Otherwise, yep, that's pretty much it.

Regarding the reverse-threaded tensioner bolt, the good news is that it's exactly the same bolt for '95 models on up through 2003 models, and probably through 6th gen Maximas as well. Therefore it's easy and cheap to find at the junkyards, if yours happens to break. When mine broke, I got the entire tensioner pulley and bolt assembly with a 90 day warranty on the pulley for like 7 bucks at the local pick-a-part. Otherwise it's dealer-only.
I couldn't get the car high enough in my little space, so i just did to be able to have some elbow room is all. Definitely not required, but does help.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:21 PM

piece of cake if you live in the south and dont have salt/rust problems. Breaker bar and liquid wrench had to be used a couple times. Other than that, it went surprisingly smooth.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Uhhhh.......Vastmax and I removed my alternator last night, which we thought would be a nightmare, but everything went pretty darn smoothly. Nothing held us up for more then a few minutes.

- Jack up ride
- Remove wheel
- Remove wheel well guard
- Remove passenger's side splash guard under motor
- Remove Alternator Ground
- Unplug Alternator Harness
- Loosen Idler pulley bolt
- Loosen Idler pulley tensioner
- Remove Belt
- Remove Idler pulley assembly held by 3 bolts
- Remove 4 bolts that holds AC compressor
- Remove 2 bolts for the Alternator, 1 on bottom and the other on top
- Profit

I can see where you would have a hard time by removing one of these items before the other. So, we preferred to stick to this plan and it worked out. Install in reverse order.
you forgot step one: collect underpants.

I had no trouble with the tensioner, pulley bolt, or 3/4 ac comp bolts. However, the one behind the ac compressor line (lower, driver's side) snapped the head off, the compressor should freely come off right? Well it doesn't, i have an extractor but any idea how to remove the compressor off that last long bolt? and should i just give up because the OP said the lower bolt on alternator is worse. Same winters. Fuc king salt and snow.

Last edited by StillenMax80x20; 09-08-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:06 AM

The alternator bolt (not belt tension adjustment - but lock the alternator in place) is easy if you take the long way. I put a swivel socket on the end of two long socket extensions (total length about 20 inches). I then put some tape around the swivel so there is only a little bit of play (don't want it going 90 degrees on you - need about 15)

Slide under your car (from the passenger side) and go past the center of the car (there is a brace that runs down the middle that has the bump for floor jacks).

Look back towards the alternator bolt, you will see it just above the brace. This is the entry point for the long extension. The extension will be resting on driver's side of the center brace.

If you try and go straight up - you are doing it the hard way.

Last edited by gummydmilo; 09-22-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:23 AM

I like it's the altenator belt tensioner setup kicking these butts! PPl not really understanding how the bracket/tensioning device is tightened or loosened!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:29 AM

just peachy...i have to do this today due to mine just dying on me friday. I am not looking forward to it after work...