5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Seafoam is a wonderful product!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM

Seafoam is a wonderful product!

At first I was pretty apprehensive about putting Seafoam into my car, since fuel injector cleaners never really had worked for me, but I gave it ago anyway, and I have to say, my car, a 2000 Maxima, drives SO much smoother now! It's definitely a noticeable improvement.

I noticed that cabin sound noticeably decreased, and shifts were much smoother. Idle seems to be better now and my intake never sounded better. Hopefully gas mileage has improved too, but that's something I'll have to determine at the end of this tank.

Here's how to use SeaFoam.

I personally used Seafoam DeepCreep. Any Autozone will carry this, and it's around 9 bucks for a can that will last you for 2-3 applications

1. Let your car run for about 5 minutes until it heats up a bit. Go for a drive, even.

2. Get somebody to keep the gas at 1.5k RPM constantly.

3. Locate your brake booster hose and unplug it. You should feel a "sucking" (pause) coming from the tube if you block it with a finger.

4. Start to (slowly) spray the SeaFoam deepcreep into the brake booster while your engine's at 1.5k rpm. Don't spray too fast or your engine will sputter and stall. Keep going till you run through about 1/3-1/2 of the bottle. The rest can be used for another time. (3k miles after).

5. Let your engine idle for about 5 minutes, and shut it off. Let the car sit (not running) for 10-15 minutes. The longer you let it sit, the more carbon build-up in your intake system and throttle body can be munched on by the formula in SeaFoam. You can let it sit for a few hours if you feel so inclined.

6. Start up the car, and rev it. You should see white smoke everywhere. If you do, you win!

This is what it looks like:

Last edited by auveeb; 08-01-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:44 PM

When the engine burns the light oil in the Seafoam you're damn sure that it'll smoke. This product and other similar products are not recommended, not required, not approved, and can cause more problems than they are worth. Be careful!
Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22se...ient=firefox-a

You have 10,000 people who disagree with you.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:12 PM
drag racing is for wussies

If you "think" SeaFoam does wonders, wait till you have some REAL stuff ran through your engine.... I used to do a BG fuel system service on my 5th gen every year, thanks to my meticulous maintenance program she was sold with close to 200K miles on the odo and engine ran better than most new cars. I do the same to my R32 and with over 100K on the odo, it runs strong and clean.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
If you "think" SeaFoam does wonders, wait till you have some REAL stuff ran through your engine.... I used to do a BG fuel system service on my 5th gen every year, thanks to my meticulous maintenance program she was sold with close to 200K miles on the odo and engine ran better than most new cars. I do the same to my R32 and with over 100K on the odo, it runs strong and clean.
Details??
Old 08-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
When the engine burns the light oil in the Seafoam you're damn sure that it'll smoke. This product and other similar products are not recommended, not required, not approved, and can cause more problems than they are worth. Be careful!
I've run Seafoam through several engines for several years... many of which have 150k+ on them or in the case of the boat 1800 hours. Seafoam is safe.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Google : BG Fuel Treatment products. Its funny as I am typing this out there is an add right above the reply window for " BG 44K " fuel system treatment. Many pro shops and dealerships use this product. It works, older German cars would get tons of carbon buildup on the valves and tops of pistons, on top of that injector spray pattern would get all ****ed up thanks to our **** poor gasoline. I used to work for an Audi dealership in the late 90s early 2000 and we used this stuff with awesome results. You would not believe how much better the car ran after we used the goods. That 650 dollar tune up on a 2.8L 5V Audi A6 really paid itself off, we did this every 30K miles and some cars which never had it done @ 70K miles..... it was like a night and day difference.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by auveeb
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22se...ient=firefox-a

You have 10,000 people who disagree with you.
Yes, and they all have dilusions. With the millions of miles I've driven I've never needed any products other than the recommended OE produts and followed the maintenance schedule, and no problems. Having said that, I guess I'll never experience the wonderful results from the magic potion that are seen:

Increase in MPG
Better acceleration
Quieter engine
Smoother engine operation
Cleans the PCV valve with the vapors
Better seal of rings
Cleans injectors
Cleans valves
Cleans cylinder heads
Longer engine life

It has its uses, but in an automobile is not one of them.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 AM

I'm going to talk to my dealership about BG 44K. At 51K miles and 7 years, I've never added any fuel system cleaner. However, I did just recently change out the filter (strainer) section of the fuel pump, so maybe now is the right time to pursue this.

Then I did a reseller search on BG's website for authorized BG shops, and my dealership is one of them.

This is interesting, and worth pursuing.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM

I used seafoma when I had my crown vic, it had 220k on the odo. The gas millage went from16 to 18 mpg on my weekly drive cycle.

The stuff works, I didn't do the vacuum suck up, half in the gas tank(full tank) and half 50 miles before an oil change into engine(oil filler).
Old 08-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Hmm... really tempted to do it. Heard both good and bad reviews about it tho...
Old 08-02-2009, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Hmm... really tempted to do it. Heard both good and bad reviews about it tho...
im a big opponent of adding "additives" of any kind to your car (injector cleaner, oil cleaner, coolant cleaner, and seafoam) etc etc, anything that you have to add that supposedly "increases performance"

psh yeah right. i added a bottle of techron to my cobra, and the thing started pinging so bad like a mother i had to flush the entire fuel system to get rid of it.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:42 AM

Anyone who doesn't want "oil cleaners" in their engine should be running non-detergent oil.
GLWT.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Anyone who doesn't want "oil cleaners" in their engine should be running non-detergent oil.
GLWT.
glwt?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by auveeb
glwt?
Good Luck With That
Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM

Another product which works is MotorVac Carbon Clean treatment; a good shop should be able to give you before and after vacuum numbers to objectively verify the performance improvement.

Having said that, all these so called "snake oils" can do is to try to restore the performance. It can NOT increase the performance but rather get back the lost performance.

Some "snake oils" are better than the others; following have many users who have
noticed better performance :-

- MotorVac carbon clean
- BG44K
- Techron
- Regane Fuel Cleaner
- 3M Total System Cleaner
- Redline Injector Cleaner
- Lucas Injector Cleaner

The consumer grade (all except the top two) needs to be doubled up in dosage for them to work.

- Vikas

Last edited by sontakke; 08-03-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:35 PM

Im on the table when it comes to seafoam.

We seafomed my friends '87 300zx and did it do wonders.

On the other hand, Ive read that its not a good idea to seafoam newer cars..

I havent dont my 00 max. Why mess with it if it works?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:04 PM

All i know is i threw a can of seafoam in the tank of my maxima when I bought it and it instantly ran smoother. Threw a couple cans in our ski boat with 1800 hours on it (equivalent of 150k+ on a car) same result and again on our Explorer with 190k on it.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM

seam foam

running cleaner thru the intake plenum is a good idea if you start it on a new engine.

all the junk and i mean junk,, comes out and travels into the cyl and down stream on a high mileage engine,, big risk,, i would never do it on an old intake. all this hype was started by those who sell the stuff.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
So you would recommend this right? How great were the benefits?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by cobradb
all this hype was started by those who sell the stuff.
So was the 3000 mile oil change.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Cletus

i made a thread like this...three years ago
Old 08-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Soonerfan i looked to see if i could find your thread but it for some reason isnt coming up. I was wondering if you had a link to this so i can see what your thoughts on it are. I have an 03 with 76k on it and seems the Gas mileage isnt what it should be. The carputer reads 20mpgs

edit: just found it from a diff thread http://forums.maxima.org/fluids-lubr...-manifold.html

Last edited by jeff5347; 08-07-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:28 AM

This morning, I dumped a can of BG 44K in my Maxima while just about empty, and then filled the tank. I'm going to drive lightly until the next tank of gas. I figure, keep the RPM's under 3K until finished. That kind of restraint will be difficult (really difficult), and it wasn't a recommendation from the dealer, but it feels like reasonable behavior while burning this stuff through my engine.

Until then, I'm both skeptical and hopeful.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
This morning, I dumped a can of BG 44K in my Maxima while just about empty, and then filled the tank. I'm going to drive lightly until the next tank of gas. I figure, keep the RPM's under 3K until finished. That kind of restraint will be difficult (really difficult), and it wasn't a recommendation from the dealer, but it feels like reasonable behavior while burning this stuff through my engine.

Until then, I'm both skeptical and hopeful.
Looking forward to the results. Seafoam has more of an immediate response or thats what I hear.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by YoungLee
Looking forward to the results. Seafoam has more of an immediate response or thats what I hear.
I read this quote in Soonerfan's thread:
"A part of the reason Seafoam "seems" to work is that it has volatile solvents in it....when they are absorbed by the carbon and other surfaces in the intake tract...they richen the mixture for awhile and make the car run smoother. Not saying that Seafoam doesn't clean...but this is part of the reason it runs better right after it's put into the intake."
Not that I understand the statement from a chemical engineering POV, but there is a general theme of Seafoam giving an almost instant level of gratification, and this comment speaks to that opinion in an explanatory way.

BG-44K, on the other hand, researches out with universally positive testimonial. And my dealership's Service Manager swears by it. Since I've never run a fuel system cleaner before, and recently changed out my fuel filter (strainer), it seemed a reasonable idea. $20 can of 44K from the Dealership, $2.50 extensible funnel from Home Depot, and $40 to fill an empty tank with 91 octane.

I'll be sure to write some kind of feedback here if an opinion forms in the next few weeks. Like the fuel strainer and recent PCV valve replacement, I'm rather expecting to get nothing except peace-of-mind for proactive maintenance.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-08-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 PM

I was suspicious about seafoam ability to clean...........TILL:

I used about 1/4 quarter to clean some kitchen parts for my wife !!! HOLY COW !!!!!!!!!!!It pissed the aaas of the junk and dirt from these pieces in just seconds,even without touching and rubbing the stuffs..........IT CLEANS perfectly.....

I used 3 types of carb cleaners for the same purpose , all were truly chit,but Seafoam is something absolutely else

Last edited by mahanddeem; 08-08-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Cletus

BG-44K, on the other hand, researches out with universally positive testimonial. And my dealership's Service Manager swears by it. Since I've never run a fuel system cleaner before, and recently changed out my fuel filter (strainer), it seemed a reasonable idea. $20 can of 44K from the Dealership, $2.50 extensible funnel from Home Depot, and $40 to fill an empty tank with 91 octane.
44K cleans the fuel system...does nothing for the air system (intake manifold)
Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
44K cleans the fuel system...does nothing for the air system (intake manifold)
I can't imagine why anyone would think otherwise, but in case they do, you're right to point out these products have different applications.

One thing at a time, SoonerFan.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 PM

what's the major solvent stuff in it? Anyone have the msds on it?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 AM

running cleaner thru the intake plenum is a good idea if you start it on a new engine.

all the junk and i mean junk,, comes out and travels into the cyl and down stream on a high mileage engine,, big risk,, i would never do it on an old intake. all this hype was started by those who sell the stuff.
Come on, all the junk is combustible; it just gets burned along with everything else. I have emptied cans of carb cleaner in older cars and sprayed the hell out of fuel injected vehicles with throttle body safe cleaner while revving the engine. That particular car did NOT have MAF, so I could run it without the air intake box. That car had 135K on the clock and I did it to clean the throttle body and the idle air control valve.

Engine can ingest any combustible liquid without even burping :-)

- Vikas
Old 08-10-2009, 05:32 AM

Not sure about cars, but seafoam did work wonders on my carbed cbr1100xx!
Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 PM

I just spoke to a technician at BG Products. He told me there's no reason at all to keep the RPM's low with 44K in the fuel, and that there's no relationship between burning 44K and changing the oil afterwords.

Urban myths about this stuff, I suppose.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:50 PM

It just sold my '97 Altima last weekend, 237K+ on it. Never used any cleaners, additives, or other snake oils, not so much as using synthetic oil or blend. The car ran great, the new owner uses it as a DD, no complaints from her either. The only point I'm making here is........WHY? Why use these additives when they are NOT necessary?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Turbonut
With the millions of miles I've driven I've never needed any products other than the recommended OE produts and followed the maintenance schedule, and no problems. Having said that, I guess I'll never experience the wonderful results from the magic potions
Over 30 years and just over a million miles driven, I've never put anything into an engine except gas and oil.

Marketing 101

My 4th gen with over 165K miles gets 30+ mpg on a trip and purrs like a kitten, bearly hearing it at idle. Seafoam? No way.
Funny how all that smoke coming from the tail pipe makes people think it's doing wonders for their engine.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 1800bucks
Never used any cleaners, additives, or other snake oils
Where do you buy gas with no additives or cleaners?
I didn't know it was even possible!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Just so I'm clear.
You advocate running cleaning agents only through new engines, that don't have any deposits?

So....clean engines that aren't dirty, and leave dirty engines dirty because of the big risk?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 1800bucks
It just sold my '97 Altima last weekend, 237K+ on it. Never used any cleaners, additives, or other snake oils, not so much as using synthetic oil or blend. The car ran great, the new owner uses it as a DD, no complaints from her either. The only point I'm making here is........WHY? Why use these additives when they are NOT necessary?
These aren't additives. They're cleaners. An "additive" would be, well, Liquid Schwartz. (And that's expensive.)

Asking "Why?" isn't a discussion point... it's a question. To that reasoning, why eat fiber if you can still crap by eating pizza every day? It's an apt, and weird, analogy.

To answer your question, if something doesn't hurt your car, and is considered reasonable maintenance, you have a zero+ gain. Those are good stats in my book.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:16 PM

To answer your question, if something doesn't hurt your car, and is considered reasonable maintenance, you have a zero+ gain. Those are good stats in my book.
Trouble is, people have run into problems after running Seafoam through the engine.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Trouble is, people have run into problems after running Seafoam through the engine.
People have run into problems doing everything.

Quick Reply: Seafoam is a wonderful product!