5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Seafoam is a wonderful product!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by maxximaa
hey....

enough of "i know better than you do about cars" cat fighting.

it's either you do it or you dont! how simple is that?
It seems contentious on the surface, but if you get past the snarky, you'll see they're actually working it out.

It also seems crazy to have so many posts about a topic that's bobs up and down all over this forum... but for some of us this is the first time we've been exposed to these things.

I think it's all good.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Ok been reading these posts for awhile now and decided to give it a shot after my 01 got me 200 or so miles to the TANK........Garbage gas mileage I know and I figured I'd do a MAF clean after I get an oil change tomorrow cause there has gotta be some other factors contributing to the crappy MPG... So did the SEAFOAM last night in the booster line, oil and gas tank. Didn't get a ton of smoke but it was windy so might have been more than I noticed... After the SeaFoam I hit the freeway for a couple miles and just earlier today I put in a thing of STP octane boost and filled up with 92 shell gas.... Miracle in a can....NO....Big improvement over before....YES.....Pinging went away, idles smooth, throttle response better, seems to pull through the powerband smoother... Car is an 01 that just ticked over to 80k so like I said there is other things that I gotta do maintance wise that may help overall as well like it's probably time for new plugs, MAF and proably other things I've over looked but for now I wanted to see how the SeaFoam performed before I did all those things so I could see what kinda improvements if any I see....I'll repost by Friday with MPG update...
Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM

I have been using Seafoam for about 3 or 4 oil changed now, and to be honest my MPG has only increased my minuscule amounts like 5 or 10 MPG. But I can vouch for the smoother idle and better throttle response. But other than that I don't know what else Seafoam does that you can visibly or physically notice.

But it sure is a hell of a carbon cleaner, I ran out of those TB cleaners while cleaning my throttle body and tried scrubbing with a rag lightly soaked in water, and I gave up because it seems like the carbon was welded to the metal and then I looked at my shelf and saw a can of Seafoam with only like 1/4 of the can left, and so I pour some into the TB so that it just pools on the outside of the butterfly plate and the poured some on the rag which was a brown color when I used it, and when I wiped the TB the rag came out completely black and I could actually see metal where the Seafoam was.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:17 PM

Seafoam works wonders! I always **** off the neighbors using it, lol
Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 PM

I's also thinking of seafoaming an 02 max, but I dont know where the pcv valve is on the manifold, it would have a hose running from the intake right? I know where the vq30s have it but this is a 3.5 so I'd assume it would be a little similar. Has anyone done this? Thanks guys.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:45 PM

What's the difference in sea foam and getting the injectors and intake cleaned by one of those machines at the shops. Is sea foam just cheaper?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'll be sure to write some kind of feedback here if an opinion forms in the next few weeks. Like the fuel strainer and recent PCV valve replacement, I'm rather expecting to get nothing except peace-of-mind for proactive maintenance.
Almost 2 weeks later... I've run through a full tank with BB44K.

The car starts smoother. It does. But that's about it. If there's any other improvement in the way the engine runs because of this fuel system cleaner, it's too fine to be noticed. The car ran just fine (IMO) before the BB44K, and continues to do so after.

So, in my particular case, this was peace-of-mind for proactive maintenance.

Not sure when (or if) I'll be trying Seafoam. But it's on my mind now.

Aside from the snarky, this was a good discussion.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
to be honest my MPG has only increased my minuscule amounts like 5 or 10 MPG.
That sounds like a pretty big difference if you ask me...
Old 08-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
That sounds like a pretty big difference if you ask me...
My guess is he meant to say 5-10 miles per tank
Old 08-20-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Christobal65
My guess is he meant to say 5-10 miles per tank
Then there is no increase, as that small of a difference is well within statistical variation.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Then there is no increase, as that small of a difference is well within statistical variation.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
If by that, you mean, "I AM A ROBOT. ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US..."

...then, yes. I concur.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:58 AM

I'm going to bump this old thread, since it's where I last was involved in a Seafoam discussion, and I'm prepped to do this thing now. I have low-end pinging from idle to about 1200 or thereabouts. Octane is not the key to this problem... I've been running 93 for a couple months, to no avail. And on my last tank, I added Lucas Octane Boost, also to no avail.

Before addressing expensive replacement parts like the MAF and Knock Sensor; (akin to blindly throwing darts and hoping to hit the bulls-eye), I'm going to try an upper-engine cleaning with Seafoam.

The plan is to introduce Seafoam through the source to the VIAS vacuum tank. This is the little nipple next to the VIAS, forward facing at the passenger side bend of the upper intake manifold. To that end, I bought a can of Seafoam, and a length of hose so that I can sit in the car with my foot babying the accelerator while doing this.

Somewhat related to all this, next week NWP is shipping their back-ordered VIAS-delete block plates, and I have one on order. So, here's my question:

Since I'll be introducing the Seafoam directly in front of the VIAS, should I wait until I delete the VIAS before doing this process? I kind of think "yes", but wanted to talk about it anyway.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:24 PM

I'm eager to see your results on the max. I've been using that stuff and others (Marvel Mystery Oil) for years on my Bronco with good results. I've just been hesitant to use it on the Max because of all the *****y little sensors these things have.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 PM

I have a quick question as well. Does Seafoam have any ill effects on RTV? I just put my NWP spacers in and the intake was pretty dirty.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:22 PM

When I did this to my max I ran it through the hose connected to the brake booster line. It was years ago and I ran it at 120k miles. There was so much smoke coming out of my tail pipe it was incredible. Whether I felt a differ? At the time I want to say I did, but it was nothing I could remember and tell you for sure or not on this day. I did try running it through at a much later time, maybe 150k-160k miles and had much less of an effect(smoke from tailpipe). Does that mean there was less to clean out because of the difference in mileage since last application? Maybe.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:09 PM

I'll be sure to post my thoughts after the fact, but to my question...

"...since I'll be introducing the Seafoam directly in front of the VIAS, should I wait until I delete the VIAS before doing this process? I kind of think "yes", but wanted to talk about it anyway."

Any opinions? I asked Aaron of NWP Engineering (since it's his block plate that I'm waiting on, and he's a wealth of info on the Maxima), but he deferred and suggested I ask the product manufacturer. I think I'm going to wait, unless opinions surface that say I should do it now, without issue.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm no expert, but I'd say do it before you install the block plate. I've seafoamed two cars before, and seafoam seems a little on the corrosive side. Maybe there's a small chance that it could eat through the RTV?
Old 05-17-2010, 07:18 PM

Maybe might try it but not now everything seems good
Old 05-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
I'm no expert, but I'd say do it before you install the block plate. I've seafoamed two cars before, and seafoam seems a little on the corrosive side. Maybe there's a small chance that it could eat through the RTV?
That's what I'm worried about. It seems unlikely though, hopefuly someone smarter than me knows the answer .
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM
Cletus

i used it after i installed the spacers with RTV and there werent any issues
Old 05-18-2010, 02:32 AM
RR5

+1 on the Seafoam in the brake booster. This vacuum line feeds the upper intake so it's probably the best way to inject Seafoam into the valves and cylinders. Just introduce the Seafoam very slowly to avoid choking the engine. I'd also vote to do the third into the oil 200 miles before changing the oil. Finish off with the last third into the full gas tank.

A few years back I ran the Seafoam into the brake booster line only got the smoke from the tail pipe but did not perceive any huge increase in performance.

I heard from someone who's worked on cars for 20 years these newer engines (Guessing 2000+ ) run so hot that this 'build up' rarely has a chance to stick to anything. So that's a +1 from my mechanic to drive over 100 mph, and I'm looking at YOU Mr. Police Officer.

However I can say after replacing both rear oxygen sensors, I have a P0420 DTC. I am going to punch my engine if I replace that cat and get a P0430 code after. Perhaps the two are not related, using Seafoam and having a front pre-cat bank 1 fail, but I'd at least mention it.

I'm going to bump this old thread, since it's where I last was involved in a Seafoam discussion, and I'm prepped to do this thing now. I have low-end pinging from idle to about 1200 or thereabouts. Octane is not the key to this problem... I've been running 93 for a couple months, to no avail. And on my last tank, I added Lucas Octane Boost, also to no avail.

Before addressing expensive replacement parts like the MAF and Knock Sensor; (akin to blindly throwing darts and hoping to hit the bulls-eye), I'm going to try an upper-engine cleaning with Seafoam.

The plan is to introduce Seafoam through the source to the VIAS vacuum tank. This is the little nipple next to the VIAS, forward facing at the passenger side bend of the upper intake manifold. To that end, I bought a can of Seafoam, and a length of hose so that I can sit in the car with my foot babying the accelerator while doing this.

Somewhat related to all this, next week NWP is shipping their back-ordered VIAS-delete block plates, and I have one on order. So, here's my question:

Since I'll be introducing the Seafoam directly in front of the VIAS, should I wait until I delete the VIAS before doing this process? I kind of think "yes", but wanted to talk about it anyway.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Z-Powered
There's no RTV on the block plate... you're confusing that with the spacers, which were installed with RTV instead of gaskets.

From these comments, it probably doesn't matter whether I do it now or wait with regard to the VIAS delete. The pinging is driving me nuts, but a few more weeks shouldn't kill me. Make me insane perhaps, but not kill me.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 AM
RR5

I would try the Seafoam into the brake booster line. I had a horrible spluttering sound after 1st gear past 3,000 RPM that went away after I switched to 91 from 87 octane.

There's no RTV on the block plate... you're confusing that with the spacers, which were installed with RTV instead of gaskets.

From these comments, it probably doesn't matter whether I do it now or wait with regard to the VIAS delete. The pinging is driving me nuts, but a few more weeks shouldn't kill me. Make me insane perhaps, but not kill me.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by crystalline
I have a quick question as well. Does Seafoam have any ill effects on RTV? I just put my NWP spacers in and the intake was pretty dirty.
No it does not affect the RTV, it primarily just dissolves carbon.

Originally Posted by merovi
When I did this to my max I ran it through the hose connected to the brake booster line. It was years ago and I ran it at 120k miles. There was so much smoke coming out of my tail pipe it was incredible. Whether I felt a differ? At the time I want to say I did, but it was nothing I could remember and tell you for sure or not on this day. I did try running it through at a much later time, maybe 150k-160k miles and had much less of an effect(smoke from tailpipe). Does that mean there was less to clean out because of the difference in mileage since last application? Maybe.
Yes more smoke means more carbon is getting burned. Last time I did this to my Bronco I got very little smoke due to the fact I had done the same thing with Marvel Mystery Oil about 30,000 miles before. Yes, seafoam and MMO are essintally the same product, except Seafoam has a minty smell and MMO has a black licorice smell.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts after the fact, but to my question...

"...since I'll be introducing the Seafoam directly in front of the VIAS, should I wait until I delete the VIAS before doing this process? I kind of think "yes", but wanted to talk about it anyway."

Any opinions? I asked Aaron of NWP Engineering (since it's his block plate that I'm waiting on, and he's a wealth of info on the Maxima), but he deferred and suggested I ask the product manufacturer. I think I'm going to wait, unless opinions surface that say I should do it now, without issue.

I say after because of the RPM you have to have the engine at to introduce the seafoam at. No, just thought of it, scratch that. It won't matter since you will be using the vacuum feed for the VIAS to introduce the seafoam so the VIAS valve won't close. So once again it don't matter.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 AM

personally i have not used seafoam in the maxima...but have used in other family vehicles..the mass amount of smoke visible after is the carbon build up burning off and exiting the systems...one personal example is my dad's van (cabbie) he drives a tank a day, he told me gets better power and mpg than ever before...

More important "opinions":

one thing that has not been discussed is...
im pretty sure the bottle suggests/recommends the plugs to be changed after a seafoam usage as contaminants bulid up on the plugs that seafoam breaks loose in the motor...well in the maxima this is NOT a fun, or cheap project so not changing plugs would have adverse affects in near future..something to think about...

..another thing...
well we are so conscious to avoid using oiled filters as theory suggest the maf gets contaminated with oil.. sending wrong readings....hurting power/mpg
similarly we know how robbed the maxima gets of power with the precats being clogged...well smoke coming from the pipe obviously travels through your cat....id presume it f's our cats some...

in the end, i cant really suggest it, but have used it. only use id suggest is an ounce or two in a gas tank at fill up....no smoke this way..more of a gradual burn.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:13 AM

Here is Seafoam Products Website. Lots of FAQ's and how-to's.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM

the seafoam is added after the throttle body if you use the brakebooster or the tank. the brakebooster burn the carbon off the intake after the entrypoint as well as the valves. the product from the tank cleans the fuelpump and injectors as well as the valves.

funny how people say this stuff is advertised and ive NEVER seen one ad for it. my dad has been using this stuff since before i was born in his boat. it was mainly used to coat the exaust and valves with the product for storage to inhibit rust( introduce it till the engine dies or smokes out) if you know anything about inboards you will know that the exaust sits underwater. this kept the rust at bay.

its basically a very good carbon cleaner and lube. theres no magic involved. simple science. try it it really works well.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM

ok so i was reading these posts and gave it a try got an 02 se wit 125k threw 2/3 of the bottle in the fuel and 1/3 in the vaccum line. just got an oil change not too long ago so i didnt put it in their cuz apparently you have to get a oil change lil after. anyway i waited 15min started the car reved it and smoke everywhere. looked like my car was on fire lol. so took it for a ride after 5 m min or reving it and felt more responsive and shifter smoother def would say this product is worth a try. i would say night and day difference but then again i didnt put it in the oil. so im my opinion its def worth 10 bucks
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM

I've just read every post on this thead back from 2009, and with an almost equal amount of good and bad comments, I still cannot make up my mind. My car feels very bogged down, and my gas mileage sucks. From my research, I'm thinking my precats are clogged (had oil leaking onto the coil packs at one point and had to replace several gaskets and seals).

Really just wondering if SeaFoaming my car would make matters worse if my precats are clogged like I'm thinking they are.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
RR5

If you suspect clogged cats, take your car to a muffler shop and see if you can get a diagnosis done. A simple remove, inspect and reinstall should not cost more than $200 because a few gaskets have to be replaced once removed. But after that you should 100% know if there is a problem with a catalytic converter.

Originally Posted by ZGadson
I've just read every post on this thead back from 2009, and with an almost equal amount of good and bad comments, I still cannot make up my mind. My car feels very bogged down, and my gas mileage sucks. From my research, I'm thinking my precats are clogged (had oil leaking onto the coil packs at one point and had to replace several gaskets and seals).

Really just wondering if SeaFoaming my car would make matters worse if my precats are clogged like I'm thinking they are.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM

So I waited until dark, so as to not freak out the neighbors. Pulled the car out back, and connected an 8 foot hose to the vacuum lead just in front of the VIAS, running the hose around into the car so that I could keep the RPM's at 2000 while slurping up the Seafoam. Sucked up half a can, right about the time the CEL started blinking.

Shut it down. Went inside. Had a Coke.

Came out about 15 minutes later, reconnected the VIAS hose to the vacuum lead, started her up and pulled down the driveway, leaving a pretty significant white cloud behind. (Oh, and the CEL was gone now that the vacuum leak was capped again.) Got on the highway, drove about 10 miles out and 10 miles back. Drove it hard, too.

And the verdict? The car runs neither better nor worse, and the low-end pinging is still there. I wasn't exactly expecting it to run "better", because it runs very well, IMO. I was just hoping to eliminate this damn low-end pinging.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 AM

The car will feel bogged shortly afterwords for roughly a tank or so. One thing about Seafoam is it does coat the spark plugs and will hamper performance for a while. This happens everytime I use it on my Bronco.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM

So I waited until dark, so as to not freak out the neighbors. Pulled the car out back, and connected an 8 foot hose to the vacuum lead just in front of the VIAS, running the hose around into the car so that I could keep the RPM's at 2000 while slurping up the Seafoam. Sucked up half a can, right about the time the CEL started blinking.

Shut it down. Went inside. Had a Coke.

Came out about 15 minutes later, reconnected the VIAS hose to the vacuum lead, started her up and pulled down the driveway, leaving a pretty significant white cloud behind. (Oh, and the CEL was gone now that the vacuum leak was capped again.) Got on the highway, drove about 10 miles out and 10 miles back. Drove it hard, too.

And the verdict? The car runs neither better nor worse, and the low-end pinging is still there. I wasn't exactly expecting it to run "better", because it runs very well, IMO. I was just hoping to eliminate this damn low-end pinging.
So is it still the same, or is it becoming better after a tank or 2? Curious because I am definitely considering seafoam on my '01 I30 with 118k.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by us3rnotfound
So is it still the same, or is it becoming better after a tank or 2? Curious because I am definitely considering seafoam on my '01 I30 with 118k.
Still the same. Performance hasn't shifted better nor worse, and was pretty darn good to begin with, IMO. I just wanted to address the low-end pinging. That hasn't changed.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-25-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:58 AM

SEAFOAM!?

woooow! I've been reading this thread for a while now. Some people are for it, some people are against it. My car is an 02...not an 03, SE 6spd! I also own an 07 SE. Before that I had an 03 SE, 98 SE and a 90 SE. This car I have now was poorly maintained. The guy used Penzoil 5w30, smoked in it and didnt clean it thoroughly, let people open their doors on it and has some cheap @$$ battery on it that I never heard of. I bought it at 95,339 miles. Since I got it about a month ago, I have brought it back to life and Islowly starting the mod phase!

The oil burning issues and rattling valves is still a problem for me. Today my mechanic is changing the belts and plugs on it. So yesterday I was at my local Advance buying belts and NGK Laser Plat plugs. I asked my guy about the valve rattling issue and he reccommended Seafoam. He told me to put half in the tank then fill it up and half in the oil. I haven't done it yet, but I was going to do it after I got my car back today. But IDK now. I dont expect it to "work wonders", but I'm hoping ti will help with the valve issue and possibly clean it up a little. I hear all the pros and cons of it, but I just dont know. Seafoam has never been reccommended to me, but then again none of my other Maximas have everrattled like this one or burned gas like this one.

Feedback???
Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

OK. Got the whip back and my spark plugs were SHOT! Just like I thought...buddy wasn't on his ish with the car. The spark plugs were a long overdue job. Since, I feel the difference.

Now...Seafoam. I'm running it thru tomorrow, but which hoes do I put it in and where the he!! is it? Could I just do oil and gas tanks and be cool...1/2 in each?

Tell me something community. I'm trying to get to my mods and I'm anxious!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:36 PM

^ You could put half in the oil and half in the gas tank, but to clean the carbon deposits on your valves, pistons, etc. you need to put some in through a vacuum line.
The easiest (IMO) vacuum line to use is the one directly to the left of the small, round green cap in this pic. (right in front of the throttle body) Good luck!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 AM

Z-Powered, preciate the response, but....I haven't heard anyone use that as an entry point. I was going to use the brake booster line? Looking at the top right of your picture, the hose coming from the brake booster, (running behind the brake fluid resrvoir... yellow cap)? Can't it be done that way as well and with the same results?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM

^ You can use the brake booster line, but the line in front of that green cap was a little easier to access for me.

Quick Reply: Seafoam is a wonderful product!