5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Seafoam is a wonderful product!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Just so I'm clear.

You advocate running cleaning agents only through new engines, that don't have any deposits?

So....clean engines that aren't dirty, and leave dirty engines dirty because of the big risk?
My thoughts exactly, Steve. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Old 08-10-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Trouble is, people have run into problems after running Seafoam through the engine.
Show us some examples from the org or personal experience, and not just through 'google', of people having engine problems as a direct result of using Seafoam. Only thing I could see Seafoam doing is cleaning up an area of the engine or fuel system that couldnt be read by the ECU and was already going bad in the first place.

Anyways, I've owned 2 maximas since '01 (one brand new) and have been running Seafoam in both through the brake booster line, gas tank, and crankcase for the last 8 years/150,000 miles, without a hitch.

Over time (every 15,000 miles or so), internal engine parts start to build up dirt with carbon, varnish, or even gum; so it only makes sense to keep the inside clean as well for optimum performance. This all varies though depending on what octane gas you run, quality of the gas in your area, quality of air, pollution, ect, ect.

Here is a list of what Seafoam actually does:

When added to Crankcase:

- Frees sticky lifters & rings
- Increases RPM's vacuum & compression
- Cleans PCV valve system
- Removes moisture
- Cleans dirty parts

When added to GasTank:

- Cleans fuel injectors & carb. jets
- Lubricates upper cylinders
- Removes any moisture in gas tank (ie - from bad gas)
- Cleans carbon as you drive
- Stabilizes fuel

When used in Brake Booster/Vacuum line:

- Cleans carbon build up inside Intake Manifold
- Cleans intake valves & pistons
- Cleans catalytic converters
- Gives smooth idle
- Restores power & pickup
- Cures hesitation & pings

Honestly though, anyone who thinks the internals of there engines dont get dirty over time due to factors beyond our control, clearly dont know what they are talking about. Dirt is the number one cause of engine wear, and even in a well maintained car it builds up over time.

And only time I could see Seafoam being a problem is when its in the hands of somebody that doesnt know how to use it properly, which Im sure is about a quarter of the people who 'try' to use it. If you follow the directions properly, there's really nothing to worry about.

So my advice to anyone who hasnt tried it yet or is too stubborn to try it, go do yourself a favor and buy a can of it for $6 or $7 bucks and form your own opinion about it. (atleast it would be valid then)

Hell, there's even a how-to-video for it on youtube by fellow org member Chernmax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MA_ghUsuVE

Old 08-11-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMax01
Show us some examples from the org or personal experience, and not just through 'google', of people having engine problems as a direct result of using Seafoam. Only thing I could see Seafoam doing is cleaning up an area of the engine or fuel system that couldnt be read by the ECU and was already going bad in the first place.

Anyways, I've owned 2 maximas since '01 (one brand new) and have been running Seafoam in both through the brake booster line, gas tank, and crankcase for the last 8 years/150,000 miles, without a hitch.

Over time (every 15,000 miles or so), internal engine parts start to build up dirt with carbon, varnish, or even gum; so it only makes sense to keep the inside clean as well for optimum performance. This all varies though depending on what octane gas you run, quality of the gas in your area, quality of air, pollution, ect, ect.

Here is a list of what Seafoam actually does:

When added to Crankcase:

- Frees sticky lifters & rings
- Increases RPM's vacuum & compression
- Cleans PCV valve system
- Removes moisture
- Cleans dirty parts

When added to GasTank:

- Cleans fuel injectors & carb. jets
- Lubricates upper cylinders
- Removes any moisture in gas tank (ie - from bad gas)
- Cleans carbon as you drive
- Stabilizes fuel

When used in Brake Booster/Vacuum line:

- Cleans carbon build up inside Intake Manifold
- Cleans intake valves & pistons
- Cleans catalytic converters
- Gives smooth idle
- Restores power & pickup
- Cures hesitation & pings

Honestly though, anyone who thinks the internals of there engines dont get dirty over time due to factors beyond our control, clearly dont know what they are talking about. Dirt is the number one cause of engine wear, and even in a well maintained car it builds up over time.

And only time I could see Seafoam being a problem is when its in the hands of somebody that doesnt know how to use it properly, which Im sure is about a quarter of the people who 'try' to use it. If you follow the directions properly, there's really nothing to worry about.

So my advice to anyone who hasnt tried it yet or is too stubborn to try it, go do yourself a favor and buy a can of it for $6 or $7 bucks and form your own opinion about it. (atleast it would be valid then)

Hell, there's even a how-to-video for it on youtube by fellow org member Chernmax:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MA_ghUsuVE

I wouldn't have any personal expeience with Seafoam as I wouldn't use the stuff, plus what is wrong with Google to get feedback? Been around cars a long time and if you believe that this magic potion keeps the engine operating properly, I must say advertising does have it's rewards, and you live in a dream world. In the millions of miles I've driven, never used additives, and never needed to. What makes you believe that the use of these additives has added to the longevity and optimum operation of the vehicle?
Now, I'll ask you, what evidence do you have that it works, and don't use google?
The daughter's Max has just turned 170,000 miles, she purchased it new and never had a problem, except CV boots, IACV, AFM, and 1 converter. Don't think Seafoam would have helped! Change the oil/filter regularly along with proper maintenace and you'll not have a problem.

As I stated before, it does have its uses, but IMHO an automobile engine is not one of them.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-13-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 AM

I wouldn't have any personal expeience with Seafoam as I wouldn't use the stuff.
So you've never used Seafoam and you dont have any personal experience with others using it, but you can make a comment that people have routinely run into problems after running Seafoam through the engine?

Been around cars a long time, actually have a NHRA competition license, and if you believe that this magic potion keeps the engine operating properly, I must say advertising does have it's rewards, and you live in a dream world. In the millions of miles I've driven, never used additives, and never needed to.
Just because you've been around cars a long time doesnt mean you have actual knowledge and experience of what Seafoam does, or how much dirt/buildup the inside of each individual engine stores up over time.

And no one said it was a 'magic potion' that 'fixes' anything. Its just cleans your engine internals (i.e. - pistons, injectors, IM, crankcase, fuel lines, ect), which clearly get dirt, gum, varnish built up on them over time.

Its really not that hard to understand unless you're just being stubborn and ignorant and just passing this off as a fly-by-night quickfix. Many, many people have used this product, and the majority that I know have sworn by Seafoam for many, many years.

What makes you believe that the use of these additives has added to the longevity and optimum operation of the vehicle?
Again. Its not an additive. Its a cleaner.

It cleans the internal parts of your engine and spits the carbon, ect right out the back of your exhaust.

When using it in your oil crankcase though, its stays in the crankcase until the oil is changed. Due to it being a 'cleaner', this is why it is reccommened that you change the oil after 100 miles or so when using it through the crankcase.

The daughter's Max has just turned 170,000 miles, she purchased it new and never had a problem, except CV boots, IACV, AFM, and 1 converter. Don't think Seafoam would have helped!.
You'll never know until you try it for yourself. Dont be skeared!!

Last edited by SmokinMax02; 08-11-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Honestly, I believe some results are psychological while others see results.

I for one have a very real review of SEAFOAM. I bought my car brand new and at 29500 miles, I did seafoam. I currently have 30,700, so this review is very recent.

So, I bought seafoam and did everything exactly as in chernmax's video. I put it in gas tank, intake manifold and in the oil. Then went and did my oil change. First time putting using full synthetic. My oil? M1 EP with same filter.

Result? My car lost power and became hesitant! I got pissed! After going through a tank of gas, 330miles, my car was almost back to where it was before seafoam.

Then on my next full tank, I threw in a bottle of Prestone fuel system cleanup. By a quarter tank, my car was back! Better even! Quiet, Fast, Responsive! Took it on the freeway and hit 120. I quickly pulled over to open the hood to check if it had 8 cylinders!! The car is fast!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:51 AM

^^

Preston and Seafoam have the same base products and basically do the same things.

Sounds like what occurred is you had to treat the car twice due to a dirty/clogged fuel line, injector, ect. It happens on occassion depending on how much buildup you had due to the area you're located in, the grade of fuel you use, the quality of the gas, quality of air, ect.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:35 PM

So you've never used Seafoam and you dont have any personal experience with others using it, but you can make a comment that people have routinely run into problems after running Seafoam through the engine?

Just because you've been around cars a long time doesnt mean you have actual knowledge and experience of what Seafoam does, or how much dirt/buildup the inside of each individual engine stores up over time.

I'm done!
And no one said it was a 'magic potion' that 'fixes' anything. Its just cleans your engine internals (i.e. - pistons, injectors, IM, crankcase, fuel lines, ect), which clearly get dirt, gum, varnish built up on them over time.

Its really not that hard to understand unless you're just being stubborn and ignorant and just passing this off as a fly-by-night quickfix. Many, many people have used this product, and the majority that I know have sworn by Seafoam for many, many years.

Again. Its not an additive. Its a cleaner.

It cleans the internal parts of your engine and spits the carbon, ect right out the back of your exhaust.

When using it in your oil crankcase though, its stays in the crankcase until the oil is changed. Due to it being a 'cleaner', this is why it is reccommened that you change the oil after 100 miles or so when using it through the crankcase.

You'll never know until you try it for yourself. Dont be skeared!!
You asked me for proof that it didn't work, but I asked the same of you, where is the proof that it works, unless you're saying that running Seafoam through a vacuum hose makes the intake cleaner, but how does that improve performance, it's air going through? Just wanted to know you personal proof. You seriously believe that Seafoam through the hose is going to clean all the carbon off the valves and runners and give increased performance, you're barking up the wrong tree.
I gave you proof that without using Seafoam in an engine/fuel tank, the car won't self distruct.
With all the people you know, and the members on the forum that haven't used Seafoam, how many have had a FI go bad, a valve seat leak, sticky piston rings, etc?

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I'm done.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-11-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:48 PM

If they had the same base products, how come Prestone is not as popular as Seafoam?

They are different in that religious users of seafoam put it in the gas tank, intake manifold and oil. Prestone is only into the gas tank.

I especially was concern about seafoam in the intake and the car almost stalling. Sounded like one is choking the car. Then seafoam in the oil??? I did it, but I still wonder why there.

At about 26000miles, I stuck with Shell gas only! That is the only thing I put in my car now. They claim they have good additives and nitrogen to help prevent buildup. I use 93 most often, but will use 87 sometimes too. I don't have any problems with it and feel my car is ok.

As for seafoam, it will probably be a good while before it again. Will see.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Alright well a can of Seafoam and two tanks of 91 octane later, my car is getting almost 80 more miles to the gallon (city). Thumbs way up for Seafoam -- couldn't be happier with the product.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

You asked me for proof that it didn't work, but I asked the same of you, where is the proof that it works, unless you're saying that running Seafoam through a vacuum hose makes the intake cleaner, but how does that improve performance, it's air going through?

Just wanted to know you personal proof. You seriously believe that Seafoam through the hose is going to clean all the carbon off the valves and runners and give increased performance, you're barking up the wrong tree.

I gave you proof that without using Seafoam in an engine/fuel tank, the car won't self distruct.

With all the people you know, and the members on the forum that haven't used Seafoam, how many have had a FI go bad, a valve seat leak, sticky piston rings, etc?

You're like talking to a wall man.

YOU made the statement that people who have put in Seafoam through there engines have run into problems.

Trouble is, people have run into problems after running Seafoam through the engine.
I asked you to show us examples of this from either personal experience or from the org itself. You then came back with the statement that you dont have any personal experience and have never used seafoam. You clearly have no idea wtf you are talkin about and just completely talking out of your a**.

Anyhoo, there's a long list of information that I provided via my two posts regarding seafoam and my & others experience with it. Never have I heard from anyone from personal expience or the org having engines problems as a direct result of using Seafoam.

Honestly, if you cant comprehend why Seafoam helps with airflow, gas mileage, lubrication, ect from those two posts above; then there is clearly no reason to keep trying and explain it to someone who chooses to remain stubborn and ignorant, and making comments in which they have no basis to make.

So yeah, you're done.....
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
If they had the same base products, how come Prestone is not as popular as Seafoam?
Because there is more to Seafoam than just the BASE product. Prestone is just a much simpler formula.

I especially was concern about seafoam in the intake and the car almost stalling. Sounded like one is choking the car.
This is normal. Nothing to worry about. When it starts to choke, just ease up on much you are feeding into the vacuum or brake booster line, or it could stall out.

Then seafoam in the oil??? I did it, but I still wonder why there.
To clean the crankcase of all the gunk that is left in there, such as the stuff left behind after an oil change.

Did you change the oil after running it through the crankcase?

At about 26000miles, I stuck with Shell gas only! That is the only thing I put in my car now. They claim they have good additives and nitrogen to help prevent buildup. I use 93 most often, but will use 87 sometimes too. I don't have any problems with it and feel my car is ok.
Try to stay away from 87 unless you want pinging or knock. 89-93 is the octane range you want to stay in, preferably 91 or 93 (or even 94 if available).

As for seafoam, it will probably be a good while before it again. Will see.
Its best not to use it too much. Every 15,000-30,000 miles is about right, in my opinion.

(Can says every 5k, but I wouldnt do less than 15k, personally)
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by auveeb
Alright well a can of Seafoam and two tanks of 91 octane later, my car is getting almost 80 more miles to the gallon (city). Thumbs way up for Seafoam -- couldn't be happier with the product.
Glad to hear it!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Just wondering if it actually does clean the cats at all?
I was hesitant, thinking it might foul the cats more so with all the smoke etc.
If this is true then it sounds like a good idea to prolong the tempermental precats
Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 PM

I wouldn't have any personal expeience with Seafoam as I wouldn't use the stuff, plus what is wrong with Google to get feedback? Been around cars a long time, actually have a NHRA competition license, and if you believe that this magic potion keeps the engine operating properly, I must say advertising does have it's rewards, and you live in a dream world. In the millions of miles I've driven, never used additives, and never needed to. What makes you believe that the use of these additives has added to the longevity and optimum operation of the vehicle?
Now, I'll ask you, what evidence do you have that it works, and don't use google?
The daughter's Max has just turned 170,000 miles, she purchased it new and never had a problem, except CV boots, IACV, AFM, and 1 converter. Don't think Seafoam would have helped! Change the oil/filter regularly along with proper maintenace and you'll not have a problem.

As I stated before, it does have its uses, but IMHO an automobile engine is not one of them.
Getting high mileage without the use of a cleaning agent doesnt constitute proof that it doesn't work, just the same as getting high mileage out of an engine with it doesn't constitute proof that it works. In order for you to prove that it doesnt work i require before and after photographs of injector spray pattern, buildup on valves, build up around the throttle body plate and in the intake manifold. If it doesnt work than it will be the same before and after.

Originally Posted by joeltender
Just wondering if it actually does clean the cats at all?
I was hesitant, thinking it might foul the cats more so with all the smoke etc.
If this is true then it sounds like a good idea to prolong the tempermental precats
No it wont clean the precats or cats. Cats need heat to properly clean themselves if your car runs too rich the EGT's wont be high enough to work properly and they get clogged. EGT's get too high and you can melt the material in the cat...course you have other worries if your EGT's are that hot
Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Christobal65
Getting high mileage without the use of a cleaning agent doesnt constitute proof that it doesn't work, just the same as getting high mileage out of an engine with it doesn't constitute proof that it works. In order for you to prove that it doesnt work i require before and after photographs of injector spray pattern, buildup on valves, build up around the throttle body plate and in the intake manifold. If it doesnt work than it will be the same before and after. :
Sorry, but don't know what else to say, if high mileage vehicles run like a top and have never used Seafoam, indicates, at least to me, that it’s not needed, what other proof do you need?
Now, back to you, in order for you to say it works, show me the photographs of your engine before and after, injector spray pattern, and build up on valves. Also, as I asked before, sediment in the intake runners, what effect does that have on the performance of the vehicle? Think it slows down the air? How does it clean the throttle body assembly? You’re either putting it in through a vacuum hose with is downstream of the TB, adding it to the tank which surely doesn’t see the TB assembly, or adding it to the crankcase.
Seems to me that it’s just a mental reflex in that the person using the product wants to know they did something positive to enhance the performance of the vehicle. This is quite evident after reading the comments, such as 2 or 3 more mpg, instant boost in acceleration, idles much smoother etc.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I just spoke to a technician at BG Products. He told me there's no reason at all to keep the RPM's low with 44K in the fuel, and that there's no relationship between burning 44K and changing the oil afterwords.

Urban myths about this stuff, I suppose.

How is the BG 44K working for you? I would like to know.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 AM

Now, back to you, in order for you to say it works, show me the photographs of your engine before and after, injector spray pattern, and build up on valves.

Why should I try and convince someone that chooses to remain ignorant and wont even try it for themselves?

If you're any kind of mechanic/DIY'er and been around cars all your life, then simply rip the TB off, look into the IM, and see how much buildup there is in your engine both before and after. While you're at, contribute to the org and posts some photos of before and after.

As stated before, results may vary depending on mileage, air quality (location), grade of fuel used, quality of gas in your area, how often you change oil, ect, ect.

Always remember though, dirt is the #1 cause of engine wear, and even in a well maintained car it builds up over time.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Christobal65
Getting high mileage without the use of a cleaning agent doesnt constitute proof that it doesn't work, just the same as getting high mileage out of an engine with it doesn't constitute proof that it works. In order for you to prove that it doesnt work i require before and after photographs of injector spray pattern, buildup on valves, build up around the throttle body plate and in the intake manifold. If it doesnt work than it will be the same before and after.
Exactly.

All you have to do in this case is stick an angled mirror down into the intake manifold, throttle body plate, crankcase, ect, both before and after using Seafoam, and it will show you exactly what is does.

I've used this for years on several of my cars and have done it for friends on several of their cars. Everytime, the intake manifold, pcv valve, tb plate, ect. comes out looking brand new. Usually followed by a smoother idle, better throttle response, and better MPG's.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 AM

I presume you meant extra 80 miles to the "tank"! Can you quantify the results i.e. used to do xxxx miles on yyy gallons but after Seafoam, it is doing aaa miles on bbb gallons.

Also your post indicates that all you did was dump the entire can in the tank and did not bother with sucking through vacuum hose. Please confirm it.

Aren't you the guy who had been complaining about your lousy gas mileage? Have you updated that topic with your latest results?

- Vikas
Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Exactly.

All you have to do in this case is stick an angled mirror down into the intake manifold, throttle body plate, crankcase, ect, both before and after using Seafoam, and it will show you exactly what is does.

I've used this for years on several of my cars and have done it for friends on several of their cars. Everytime, the intake manifold, pcv valve, tb plate, ect. comes out looking brand new. Usually followed by a smoother idle, better throttle response, and better MPG's.
Like to be able to put the mirror in the crankcase but really unsure of how you would be able to do that.

Yup, you're one of the followers of the brainwashed clan, more MPG, better acceleration, e.g. Like I said before a magicc potion in a bottle.
Do it a few times in a row and maybe you'll see 30MPG, couldn't resist.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by sontakke
I presume you meant extra 80 miles to the "tank"! Can you quantify the results i.e. used to do xxxx miles on yyy gallons but after Seafoam, it is doing aaa miles on bbb gallons.

Also your post indicates that all you did was dump the entire can in the tank and did not bother with sucking through vacuum hose. Please confirm it.

Aren't you the guy who had been complaining about your lousy gas mileage? Have you updated that topic with your latest results?

- Vikas
I put 1/3 into the brake booster.

Yes 80 miles to the tank. I used to get 120 miles to the tank city driving but now easily reach 200 no problem.

Last edited by auveeb; 08-12-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Yes 80 miles to the tank. I used to get 120 miles to the tank city driving but now easily reach 200 no problem.
Just out of curiosity, how many gallons is your "tank"? If it is 16 to 17 gals, I think there's something terribly wrong with your mileage.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 AM

Like to be able to put the mirror in the crankcase but really unsure of how you would be able to do that.
Easy to do if you know what your doing. Unfortunately you've proven you really dont have a clue though.

Yup, you're one of the followers of the brainwashed clan, more MPG, better acceleration, e.g. Like I said before a magicc potion in a bottle.
Do it a few times in a row and maybe you'll see 30MPG.
lol, now you're just getting desperate.

Seafoam has been around for years and has a very good name behind it. And its a 'cleaner', not an additive magic potion. If people are seeing better MPG's, better throttle response, and better idle as a result of cleaning the internal parts of there engine, then who's to say it isnt a direct result of using this product, especially when the car/ecu is relaying information back to them? Some guy that obviously knows nothing about cars or the product he's commenting on? ok, lol.

Anyways, its quite obvious you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about and have spent 3 days running off at the mouth and purposely trying to scare people about a product that you know nothing about and have never even tried.

Well done, guy. Way to contribute back to the org.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
I think there's something terribly wrong with your mileage.
Agreed.

Sounds like he needs to check his MAF and have his ECU scanned for codes.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 AM

WOW this is getting out of control. Its pretty obvious that the guys who dont like seafoam or say it doesnt work have never even tried it... Im gonna do it this weekend and I am confident there will be benefits. Check out the poll I made- seafoam yay or nay? So far there are either those that havent tried it, or tried it and liked the benefits. Aside from a few who tried it with no results. However, NOBODY has said that it did anything to hurt the car.... So quit bashing it and maybe give it a try, if its not going to hurt anything, what do you have to lose?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 AM

Wow man thats awful
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Easy to do if you know what your doing. Unfortunately you've proven you really dont have a clue though.
lol, now you're just getting desperate.
Seafoam has been around for years and has a very good name behind it. And its a 'cleaner', not an additive magic potion. If people are seeing better MPG's, better throttle response, and better idle as a result of cleaning the internal parts of there engine, then who's to say it isnt a direct result of using this product, especially when the car/ecu is relaying information back to them? Some guy that obviously knows nothing about cars or the product he's commenting on? ok, lol.

Anyways, its quite obvious you dont have a clue as to what you are talking about and have spent 3 days running off at the mouth and purposely trying to scare people about a product that you know nothing about and have never even tried.

Well done, guy. Way to contribute back to the org.
I'm always eager to learn, so tell me how you see inside the crankcase, please. Also if the AF ratios are mandated by the ecu, how can the fuel mileage change so drastically? Before you say it cleans the engine, just remember you can have a clogged air filter and the fuel mileage won't drop.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by nzelinsky
Its pretty obvious that the guys who dont like seafoam or say it doesnt work have never even tried it... Im gonna do it this weekend and I am confident there will be benefits. Check out the poll I made- seafoam yay or nay? So far there are either those that havent tried it, or tried it and liked the benefits. Aside from a few who tried it with no results. However, NOBODY has said that it did anything to hurt the car.... So quit bashing it and maybe give it a try, if its not going to hurt anything, what do you have to lose?
Exactly.

Good luck man.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Sorry, but don't know what else to say, if high mileage vehicles run like a top and have never used Seafoam, indicates, at least to me, that it’s not needed, what other proof do you need?
Now, back to you, in order for you to say it works, show me the photographs of your engine before and after, injector spray pattern, and build up on valves. Also, as I asked before, sediment in the intake runners, what effect does that have on the performance of the vehicle? Think it slows down the air? How does it clean the throttle body assembly? You’re either putting it in through a vacuum hose with is downstream of the TB, adding it to the tank which surely doesn’t see the TB assembly, or adding it to the crankcase.
Seems to me that it’s just a mental reflex in that the person using the product wants to know they did something positive to enhance the performance of the vehicle. This is quite evident after reading the comments, such as 2 or 3 more mpg, instant boost in acceleration, idles much smoother etc.

Do it a few times in a row and maybe you'll see 30MPG, couldn't resist.
I'm always eager to learn, so tell me how you see inside the crankcase, please. Also if the AF ratios are mandated by the ecu, how can the fuel mileage change so drastically? Before you say it cleans the engine, just remember you can have a clogged air filter and the fuel mileage won't drop.
did you know the sky is blue?

*waits for argument to the contrary*
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM

im pretty sure a clogged air filter will mess with your fuel efficiency... ?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 PM

....... just remember you can have a clogged air filter and the fuel mileage won't drop.
With that last statement, it looks like you just killed the little credibility you had left, if any. That is, of course, unless advertisement has been leading us wrong on that one too, making the public believe the opposite. I'm actually considering seafoaming my car this weekend.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 PM

With that last statement, it looks like you just killed the little credibility you had left, if any. That is, of course, unless advertisement has been leading us wrong on that one too, making the public believe the opposite. I'm actually considering seafoaming my car this weekend.
Guess you'll need to reconsider the above:

NEW INFORMATION:
Replacing a Clogged Air Filter on Modern Cars Improves Performance but Not MPG

A new study shows that replacing a clogged air filter on cars with fuel-injected, computer-controlled gasoline engines does not improve fuel economy but it can improve acceleration time by around 6 to 11 percent. This kind of engine is prevalent on most gasoline cars manufactured from the early 1980s onward.

Tests suggest that replacing a clogged air filter on an older car with a carbureted engine may improve fuel economy 2 to 6 percent under normal replacement conditions or up to 14 percent if the filter is so clogged that it significantly affects drivability.

You can verify the above:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ueleconomy.com

Even the addition of a CAI won't change mileage as the AF ratios are governed by the ecu. An exhaust may help some though very minimally.

Guess we can all learn something new everyday!!!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Exept that you have strayed from the original arguement... I guess because you realized you lost (wrong)... Turbonut FTL
Old 08-12-2009, 02:35 PM

I have to give Turbonut credit. He has been exceedingly polite even though some people have been quite rude to him.

I have personally not used Seafoam via brake booster method. I had tried it in the gas tank but I do not remember any immediate difference in driving.

Cleaning air intake path in older cars (carburated) and newer cars (fuel injected) via spray cleaners show immediate effect. The difference is aural, you can feel that car is breathing easier.

From 120 miles to 200 miles on a "tank"; how many gallons do you end up putting? If it is almost full tank (over 16Gallons) and your check engine light is NOT on (but functions when you turn on the ignition), I am complete loss.

- Vikas
Old 08-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Guess you'll need to reconsider the above:

NEW INFORMATION:
Replacing a Clogged Air Filter on Modern Cars Improves Performance but Not MPG

A new study shows that replacing a clogged air filter on cars with fuel-injected, computer-controlled gasoline engines does not improve fuel economy but it can improve acceleration time by around 6 to 11 percent. This kind of engine is prevalent on most gasoline cars manufactured from the early 1980s onward.

Tests suggest that replacing a clogged air filter on an older car with a carbureted engine may improve fuel economy 2 to 6 percent under normal replacement conditions or up to 14 percent if the filter is so clogged that it significantly affects drivability.

You can verify the above:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ueleconomy.com

Even the addition of a CAI won't change mileage as the AF ratios are governed by the ecu. An exhaust may help some though very minimally.

Guess we can all learn something new everyday!!!!!
I don't buy that. It doesn't sound convincing to me. And I don't mean your statement but the ones made on the 40-page report from the posted link (www.fueleconomy.com). It looks like lab-only tests (not real life), and the conclusions talk about "no significant effect on fuel economy".

Last edited by Nelsito65; 08-12-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM

I don't buy that. It doesn't sound convincing to me.
Wanted to post the link as most feel a dirty filter will inhibit proper fuel mileage, but think about the situation as the AF ratio is adjusted by the ecu through injector pulse widths, so as less air is being pulled into the engine, the feedback system adjusts accordingly with less fuel to keep the ratio within limits. No decrease in mileage, but certainly performance. Now a carbed engine doesn't have electronic controls as the jets allow the same amout of fuel to pass through, so if the air filter is clogged, or exceptionally dirty, not enough air can be pulled in and the overly rich contion exists.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:51 PM

404: "Done" not found.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:35 PM

hey....

enough of "i know better than you do about cars" cat fighting.

it's either you do it or you dont! how simple is that?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:31 PM

Windex cures everything, saw a movie about it.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by maxximaa
hey....

enough of "i know better than you do about cars" cat fighting.

it's either you do it or you dont! how simple is that?
Sorry if that's the impression you perceived, but these Forums are not to find out who knows more, it is a place to ask questions and become more informed, whether it be a performance thread, problem thread, oil/filter thread (good luck on this topic) or just a question that needs an answer. If everyone thought the same, or agreed on every post, there wouldn't be too many replies, or even questions.

Quick Reply: Seafoam is a wonderful product!