5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What happens if you replace MAF and do not reprogram ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

What happens if you replace MAF and do not reprogram ECM?

I had a MAF on my 2000 replaced by a brand new Nissan one yesterday. The car runs really well now. I have a appointment tomorrow for reprogramming at the dealer. My question is, does anyone know what happens if you do not reprogram?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:09 PM

Im pretty sure that you can reset the ecu by yourself. I wouldnt waste money having the dealer do it.

Do a search on the forum for ecu reset and you should be able to find the instructions.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks. I understand it's not a reset, it's reprogramming that is needed as the parameters of the sensors are different from original. I am just wondering what the difference is. I got a code showing up about 20 miles after the MAF was replaced (and ECM not yet reprogrammed).
Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM

I had a new MAF that supposedly "required" the reprogram...I've been driving for months with no problems whatsoever. I've been told by a not so reliable source that it optimizes the fuel/air ratio to complement the new sensor.

But I wouldnt pay the dealer to do it because more than likely its gonna be a 5minute job that they charge you for an hours labor.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Bad *** Newb

Yeah, if it runs great, then it would be a total waste of time. You might as well install an afc and get it tuned if you ever go to a dyno.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:54 PM

I highly doubt the dealership is going to actually "reprogram" your ECU. They are probably just going to do a reset...which would make sense after a MAF replacement. Save your money and reset the ECU yourself.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 PM

not for nothin, but after having a car run the way it does with a bad maf, anything would seem like it was "running great". whether its by yourself or the dealer, reprogram it. theres a reason they recommend it.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Thank you. Looks like conflicting info. My car threw a P0505 after the MAF was replaced... My idle speeds are fine.

Does anyone know where to get a copy of TSB NTB01-036/ITB01-029. It is what the nissan MAF says explains what should be done (and hopefully why)?

This is from a 2004 thread here: "Make sure to recalibrate- reprogram the ECU for the new UPDATED MAF, yes the car will run better than with the old busted MAF... but you really won't feel the difference till ya have the ECU reprogrammed at the Nissan dealer. " (http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...af-sensor.html)

BTW, they will charge for 1/2 hour only.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by rsmrsm
BTW, they will charge for 1/2 hour only.
That's still like 65 bucks, right?

**** like that should be free. All the blame is on nissan for screwing with ****.

Hell, if I was rich, I'd get before and after dynos then sue when nothing changes after the reprogram haha
Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Hell, if I was rich, I'd get before and after dynos then sue when nothing changes after the reprogram haha
Dosent sound like that bad of an idea
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM

replace the MAF, if you aren't happy with the improved performance, spend the $70 and get the reprogram. I would ask if they can de-program afterwards if you don't notice a difference lol....they should have a classic response for that lol
Old 07-10-2009, 12:04 PM

TSB NTB01-036/ITB01-029. The TSB contains information for ASSIST to get and update program to reflash the ECU with since these new MAFs have different outputs from the old MAFs. However, its been proven over and over that you dont actually need to reflash the ECU.
Got to add that this was a quote from a Nissan performance center I found on the net.

Last edited by Turbonut; 07-10-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Today I took the car in for the ECU reprogramming. Just to recap, the MAF was replaced on Tuesday. The car was working really well after having the MAF replaced (so I thought).

The dealer is a brand new one in town. They have glass windows where you can see what they are doing to your car.

My car went into the shop at 1:39PM. The mechanic worked on his portable little yellow computer/programmer thing, hooked it to a PC (I suppose to upload the code to his portable thing).

The mechanic connected his portable to my ECU at 1:46PM.

In the meantime, he worked on another 2000 or 2001 Maxima. He checked mine a couple of times, I guess it was not ready.

At 2:04PM he disconnected his portable, reprogramming was done.

At 2:06PM he connected a hose to my car's exhaust pipe, which would collect the exhaust gasses to some kind of drain in the floor. He started my car and ran it for a couple of minutes. I think this was the idle learn procedure.

At 2:11PM my car left the shop.

Cost: CAD$48 (about USD42)

After paying, the invoice says they did two procedures: ECM reflashing for MAF, and idle relearn, which is exactly what I saw.

Now results: The car was running great after the MAF was replaced compared to the crappy performance I had with the bad MAF (I did not actually realize it was so crappy). After I left the dealer, the car was absolutely awesome, definitely much superior performance. The car was a rocket. This is like the car I bought brand new, that is the feeling I got.

So, my conclusion, if you got your original MAF replaced for a new model and do not reprogram, you do not know what you are missing.

The dealer certainly did both the reprogramming and the idle relearn.

The guy I mentioned above (Blackbirddvq) who posted back in 2004 was absolutely correct. You do not *need* the reprogramming, but it will make a noticeable difference if you do.

As for gas consumption (or other codes showing up), we will see, I have only driven about 20 miles since the procedure.

I have gone through the whole thing, O2, coils, now MAF, I guess next is starter (which is acting up) and IACV. Although it's a great car when it runs well, I agree that it is not acceptable to have to spend so much money to fix these things. No more Nissans for me, that is for sure.

Just my experience. Thanks to all who replied.

Last edited by rsmrsm; 07-10-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Bad *** Newb

What do you expect from a 10 yr old car? Seriously. If I was going for the most reliable car, I would get a 00-01. You replaced nothing but maint. parts and they're known to fail, especially on this model and year. O2s, coils, MAF and iacv (which I would just clean) are super easy to replace.

I just made 100 bucks fixing coil, injector and knock sensor on a '99. But it had 114k miles and was abused badly.

It's all small money for an engine that's not going to leave you stranded for over 200k mi.

Sorry, it sounds like I'm *****ing, but I'm just saying there's no reason to switch cars over chump change (which means no dealer and buy parts online).

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on yours? I'm assuming around 100k or a bit more, since that's the age for those parts to fail.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Sorry, it sounds like I'm *****ing, but I'm just saying there's no reason to switch cars over chump change (which means no dealer and buy parts online).

Out of curiosity, how many miles are on yours? I'm assuming around 100k or a bit more, since that's the age for those parts to fail.
56,000 miles (90,203Km to be exact, only owner). Coils have been replaced twice. My cost, don't ask... Also needs stabilizer links and rod ends, which I am not doing. Don't know how much the IACV and the starter wll be.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Bad *** Newb

56,000 miles (90,203Km to be exact, only owner). Coils have been replaced twice. My cost, don't ask... Also needs stabilizer links and rod ends, which I am not doing. Don't know how much the IACV and the starter wll be.
Sounds like they put in used ones or didn't change them all. And you must drive like a mad man

My 00 had 128k. It drove, ran and looked like new. People thought I just got it off the lot (back in 2005). O2s were the only things replaced (previous owner killed the maf with filter oil, but that's it).

Just bad luck, I guess.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:49 PM

Sounds like they put in used ones or didn't change them all. And you must drive like a mad man

My 00 had 128k. It drove, ran and looked like new. People thought I just got it off the lot (back in 2005). O2s were the only things replaced (previous owner killed the maf with filter oil, but that's it).

Just bad luck, I guess.
The coils were brand new, installed them myself. They worked ok, but there was a constant P1320 because the shape of the voltage curve was not what the computer expected.

Actually, I drive pretty soft.

Just a lemon maybe, but it sounds like most people have the same issues.
Ideally my next car will be en electric one, no coils, no MAF, no O2 sensors, just batteries to replace.

Anyway, this thread was for the MAF!
Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Bad *** Newb

Strange.

But OT is much more fun!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:38 PM

question for you guys...is there a way of knowing if your MAF is dirty or on its way out without having codes or replacing it with a different one?

As far as I know, cleaning the 5.5 GEN maf is a bad idea. am i right or no?
Old 07-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Now results: The car was running great after the MAF was replaced compared to the crappy performance I had with the bad MAF (I did not actually realize it was so crappy). After I left the dealer, the car was absolutely awesome, definitely much superior performance. The car was a rocket. This is like the car I bought brand new, that is the feeling I got.

So, my conclusion, if you got your original MAF replaced for a new model and do not reprogram, you do not know what you are missing.

The guy I mentioned above (Blackbirddvq) who posted back in 2004 was absolutely correct. You do not *need* the reprogramming, but it will make a noticeable difference if you do.

As for gas consumption (or other codes showing up), we will see, I have only driven about 20 miles since the procedure.

I have gone through the whole thing, O2, coils, now MAF, I guess next is starter (which is acting up) and IACV. Although it's a great car when it runs well, I agree that it is not acceptable to have to spend so much money to fix these things. No more Nissans for me, that is for sure.

what'd i tell ya??
Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 AM

anomaly117: Yeap, thx. And you were minority!

Czerkas: hard to tell. If your car does not have the awesome acceleration it had when it was brand new that may be a sign. My understanding is that there are all kinds of readings you can get with the OBDII too, even if there is no codes. There are maintenance manuals that describe these values, but they are specialized manuals for repair technicians, don't know where to get them.

Last edited by rsmrsm; 07-11-2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:35 AM

Old 08-02-2009, 08:00 AM
GT4

Which Nissan dealer for ECM re-programming?

Today I took the car in for the ECU reprogramming. Just to recap, the MAF was replaced on Tuesday. The car was working really well after having the MAF replaced (so I thought).

The dealer is a brand new one in town. They have glass windows where you can see what they are doing to your car.

My car went into the shop at 1:39PM. The mechanic worked on his portable little yellow computer/programmer thing, hooked it to a PC (I suppose to upload the code to his portable thing).

The mechanic connected his portable to my ECU at 1:46PM.

In the meantime, he worked on another 2000 or 2001 Maxima. He checked mine a couple of times, I guess it was not ready.

At 2:04PM he disconnected his portable, reprogramming was done.

At 2:06PM he connected a hose to my car's exhaust pipe, which would collect the exhaust gasses to some kind of drain in the floor. He started my car and ran it for a couple of minutes. I think this was the idle learn procedure.

At 2:11PM my car left the shop.

Cost: CAD$48 (about USD42)

After paying, the invoice says they did two procedures: ECM reflashing for MAF, and idle relearn, which is exactly what I saw.

Hi rsmrsm,

Thanks for the info. Could you please tell me which Nissan dealer you went for the ECM re-programming? I live in Toronto(Canada), and the dealer here(Village Nissan) wanted me 1 hour labour($99 CAD) for the job.

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a slightly different angle on this thread. I cleaned my MAF sensor and didn't replace it. The crappy performance cleared up but would I still need to have it reprogrammed if it is still the original MAF sensor?
I would expect the answer to be no but can anyone think of a reason why that may be wrong?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:13 PM

I doubt you need to reprogram if you cleaned it. As a matter of fact, I replaced mine several years ago and never got a reprogram. Has been fine.