5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 07:22 AM

ABS brake light on

Hey guys,
My abs light came on the other day.............before you start nailing me, I did search and found some good information. I did find a fellow org member metioning the problem I am running to but no solution or causes. My ABS light stays on but sometimes goes off. I hear a "humming" sound when I initially insert the key and turn it to "on"; when I do, my ABS stays on. I did check my brake fluid level, even though that would not cause the light to come on. What can it be sensor, the acuator or the sensor rubbing?

The car is not lowered and replaced my pads about a yr ago.....

Thanx
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Most likely it is an ABS sensor/line at one of the wheels. Even if you pinch or bend one of the lines it will cause the issue so check the lines first.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Pull the wheels off and make sure the sensors are clean. I beleive they are magnetic an can attract things you dont want. Just blow it off with compressed air if its dirty.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 AM

Thanx for the tip.....i will check it out this long weekend and let you guys know.

Thanx
Old 07-01-2009, 06:45 AM
dot dot dot ...

Some code scanners will scan ABS codes too. If you have one, or have access to one ... This will tell you what sensor is at fault.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can pull the abs codes yourself, that will tell you exactly what has failed.
Search around on here a bit more for the procedure, it involves jumping a pin in I think the OBD II connector. It was somewhere down by the fuse pannel.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:43 PM

same problem guys i have a little more info on mine though, i had the code pulled yesterday and he cleared everything, it came back as sensor open. that means i have a faulty sensor correct? everytime he cleared my code it came back on instantly, i just dont want to waste $160 for a new sensor and then that not be the problem.
BTW it is my front passenger side.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 AM

aright guys....I finally got my car scanned and it read as the left rear abs sensor......now i just need to find a place besides a dealer

thanx for your help
Old 07-25-2009, 02:45 PM

How to clear the ABS light

How did you clear the code? I did the thing with Pin 9 grounded, it gave me a code 31 ( right rear). I cleaned the sensor and tried to reset the code, but I couldn't get it to clear.

The instructions I followed were to read the code then ground pin 9 three times within 12 sec. Did all that but the code never went away. Help
Old 07-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Sammy Z
How did you clear the code? I did the thing with Pin 9 grounded, it gave me a code 31 ( right rear). I cleaned the sensor and tried to reset the code, but I couldn't get it to clear.

The instructions I followed were to read the code then ground pin 9 three times within 12 sec. Did all that but the code never went away. Help
Means your sensor is still bad. You need to replace it.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 AM

I put a volt meter on the sensor and it's reading the same as the other sensors, did the cleaning thing as well. If the car doesn't move, I would think the system would let me clear the code then maybe turn the light on when I start driving if the sensor were bad. Any ideas as to how to reset the light?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Sammy Z
I put a volt meter on the sensor and it's reading the same as the other sensors, did the cleaning thing as well. If the car doesn't move, I would think the system would let me clear the code then maybe turn the light on when I start driving if the sensor were bad. Any ideas as to how to reset the light?
Assuming you've got a 5th gen (since you've neglected to either tell us, or fill out your profile).

You need to ground that diagnostic pin for at least 1 second each time, 3 times within 12.5 seconds after removing the ground after checking codes.

If you're getting a code immediately, then it's likely not related to the performance of the sensor, but that the ABS control unit isn't seeing it at all.

Just testing the sensor itself is useless if you have a problem with the system. Have you not tested the harness back to the ABS control unit yet?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 AM

It's a 2001, I tested the signal where the wires come in under the rear seat to eliminate the chance of a connector being bad. I checked both right and left side and the have simialr readings. I suppose I should make the the same test at the harness at the ABS control unit.

I did the ground thing to pin 9 three times (1sec ea. ) in less than 12 seconds.

The thing that gets me is that I would think the ABS would go off for a second or two before it came back on. It acts as if I'm not clearing it at all.

BTW, is it possible to swap the sensor with the rear leaf to see if the symptom changes?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP !!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Amit56
Hey guys,
My abs light came on the other day.............before you start nailing me, I did search and found some good information. I did find a fellow org member metioning the problem I am running to but no solution or causes. My ABS light stays on but sometimes goes off. I hear a "humming" sound when I initially insert the key and turn it to "on"; when I do, my ABS stays on. I did check my brake fluid level, even though that would not cause the light to come on. What can it be sensor, the acuator or the sensor rubbing?

The car is not lowered and replaced my pads about a yr ago.....

Thanx
I've recently started experiencing some ABS issues as well. Based on my understanding of the ABS system, I know there is a motor/pump combo in the ABS controller, the humming I hear sounds like that motor is spinning w/o resistance, as if there was no fluid in the pump area. I can tell that once it stops testing the system (supplying power to the motor), the motor spins down slowly as I get a whirling noise. Is this basically what you have?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM

hey guys., i also have my abs light on my 5th gen max. my pads and rotors on the front were recently replaced and my rears were shot so i did pads and rotors in the rear,..the light stayed on...i have access to a scanner, but the comp says it does not read any faults in the system, i even tried clearing it with the scanner...light stays on....any1 know my next step?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by cdawg36
hey guys., i also have my abs light on my 5th gen max. my pads and rotors on the front were recently replaced and my rears were shot so i did pads and rotors in the rear,..the light stayed on...i have access to a scanner, but the comp says it does not read any faults in the system, i even tried clearing it with the scanner...light stays on....any1 know my next step?
Are you checking the ABS codes with your 'scanner', or the ECU codes?

Is it a basic OBD-II code reader, or does it actually have ABS computer functionality?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM

where is the sensor located in the rear of a 5th gen? i had a tire go out on the interstate and i think a simple cleaning will hopefully solve my problem, push come the shove ill check my lines
Old 07-27-2009, 09:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by phatboislim
where is the sensor located in the rear of a 5th gen? i had a tire go out on the interstate and i think a simple cleaning will hopefully solve my problem, push come the shove ill check my lines
Behind the wheel.

Last edited by pmohr; 07-27-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM

well from the pic not on the wheel specifically, but behind it...just wanted to clarify, because i thought i messed up by swapping out for g35 wheels causing more problems just to make my 5th gen more aesthetically pleasing. thanks for the diagram. i will get to this friday hopefully.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by phatboislim
well from the pic not on the wheel specifically, but behind it...just wanted to clarify, because i thought i messed up by swapping out for g35 wheels causing more problems just to make my 5th gen more aesthetically pleasing. thanks for the diagram. i will get to this friday hopefully.
Well obviously it's not on the wheel itself, that's a given.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM

i was thinking about teh 'TPMS' sensors on some of teh newer maximas when u said on teh wheel...not knocking you
Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Bad *** Newb

Inspect the wires!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:32 PM

OK guys............I finally got the time to fix this after couple months. Well i I got it scanned and its left rear ABS brake sensor. It did not go my way as the bolt that holds the sensor broke off (RUSTED/CORRODED). However, I managed to take out the sensor out; it was so dirty and I cleaned it off. Put it back on using some type of liquid sealer for temporarly. The light did not go out, assuming i need to get it cleared. But when i do turn it on, the humming noise still comes on when i start the vehicle. Any ideas???

Thanx for ur help
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Amit56
OK guys............I finally got the time to fix this after couple months. Well i I got it scanned and its left rear ABS brake sensor. It did not go my way as the bolt that holds the sensor broke off (RUSTED/CORRODED). However, I managed to take out the sensor out; it was so dirty and I cleaned it off. Put it back on using some type of liquid sealer for temporarly. The light did not go out, assuming i need to get it cleared. But when i do turn it on, the humming noise still comes on when i start the vehicle. Any ideas???

Thanx for ur help
The light will go out when it's fixed.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys..I'm new to this forum. I'm having the same issue with the ABS/TCS/SLIP light all being on. I've done a bit of research on the sight but no luck trying to find out where the exact location in detail would be. So if anyone knows of a link that shows pictures of where they are that be great. Before I take it to my mechanic I want to see if I can just pop all of them out and clean them. Any suggestions on what to use on cleaning them? Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

PLEASE HELP TCS AND SLIP LIGHT ON

Help I need help i just had a brand new motor put in my 07 maxima and i got it back after setting for 3 months the slip light and tcs light is on i dont know what to do.. plus there is this loud squeaking sounding like wheel bearings. please help the tcs light and slip im worried about is it a wheel sensor or i dont know.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You should do a reset and see it the abs/tcs lights comes back on. If not, then it was a faulty code...good luck.