5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

lifter noise after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 06:22 PM

the same hasnt changed yet. and i dont really want to take it to the dealer as they will take 500 just to "find" the problem.I am gonna try some marvel mystery oil and see what happens. it runs great! just the noise its so annoying. It sucks that its coming from the rear bank, front bank atleast would be easier to access. I am pretty confident it is lifter noise, but reading from a few prior threads i was digging out didnt find to much information on lifter adjustment.

Any clue how long this should take? thanks P for all your insights!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM

As I mentioned before, unfortunately dealing with this is just going to be a pain in the you know where. Just checking the valve clearances alone on the rear bank is bad enough, but making any adjustments/replacing parts basically means ranking the engine and pulling the oil pans, front timing chain cover, camshaft timing chains, sprockets, rear timing chain case etc.,etc. It's ugly and expensive and unless you really like this car, you might want to think about it and just live with the noise. It sure would be nice to know what the hell happened to cause this, but that's water under the bridge. Someone on this forum did replace some "mashed" (due to oil starvation) lifters a few months ago, I think it was. Maybe if you search or if he chimes in, you can find out how much misery this can be. Can you make a sound video?
Old 07-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by P. Samson
As I mentioned before, unfortunately dealing with this is just going to be a pain in the you know where. Just checking the valve clearances alone on the rear bank is bad enough, but making any adjustments/replacing parts basically means ranking the engine and pulling the oil pans, front timing chain cover, camshaft timing chains, sprockets, rear timing chain case etc.,etc. It's ugly and expensive and unless you really like this car, you might want to think about it and just live with the noise. It sure would be nice to know what the hell happened to cause this, but that's water under the bridge. Someone on this forum did replace some "mashed" (due to oil starvation) lifters a few months ago, I think it was. Maybe if you search or if he chimes in, you can find out how much misery this can be. Can you make a sound video?

I think you're referring to me, I've done it twice. The engine doesn't have to get yanked, and the rear cover & upper oil-pan don't need to come off thank god, but it is ugly & expensive. IIRC alldata book hours is 14 hours for a rear bank lifter, 12 for a front, or 16 for both banks.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 PM

im just gonna leave it and see whathappens. lets see if marvel mystery oil helps!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Don't get carried away with the "Marvel Snake Oil". Your problem is not anything like a sticking bucket or valve so it won't do **** in my opinion and it is basically a solvent (grease cutter) which is not what you want to do. Mineral spirits is paint thinner, also known as Varsol which is used to clean engine parts prior to repair/overhaul, and NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS (Naptha) is commonly called white gas(oline). I wouldn't put anything containing those two products in the oil in anything that I owned. This product is similar to Seafoam. Product ID:MARVEL MYSTERY OIL (SEE SUPPLEMENTAL DATA)
MSDS Date:11/01/1999
Composition/Information on Ingredients =============

Ingred Name:MINERAL SPIRITS
CAS:8052-41-3
RTECS #:WJ8925000
Other REC Limits:100 PPM (NIOSH)
OSHA PEL:2900 MG/M3;500 PPM
ACGIH TLV:525 MG/M3;100 PPM

Ingred Name:NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS
CAS:64742-52-5
RTECS #:PY8035000
OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3

Ingred Name:CHLORINATED HYDROCARBONS
CAS:95-50-1
RTECS #:CZ4500000
OSHA PEL:C300 MG/M3;C50 PPM
ACGIH TLV:150 MG/M3;25 PPM
ACGIH STEL:301 MG/M3;50 PPM

Last edited by P. Samson; 07-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:30 PM

i have the same problem....its been 20k miles with that dam tick tick tick...i am waiting for the **** to die, mechanics just tell tell me to drive until it dies...i have gotten price for about 700-900 for full engine replacment...i am getting ready to start using 10w-30...and my car ticks at all rpm....the only reason i am upset is because i have been so faithful to my car....
Old 07-12-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Does it sound like this :

yep that sounds like my ticking
Old 07-12-2009, 06:46 PM

here is what is wierd to me about this problem. It ONLY happens when igive the car gar. If it is at idle there is no wierd sound. As soon as i rev it to 1k rpm it will start tick tick ticktick. As SOON as i let the gas go, it will stop ticking Doesnt matter ifthe lifters are still moving fast and then slowing down, it stops right away as soon as i let the gas go!

Anything further that you can diagnose P with this info?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:06 AM

another update on this. It seems to happen after the car has been ona few minutes and pressure has built up. When i turn the car off and turn it back on a few mins later the noise will stop, after a few minutes of it being on it will start clicking again when gassing. Im now thinking its either an exhaust gasket or the injectors. Id think the lifters would keep clicking regardless as soon as the car is started

When i was having a Y pipe put on, I did spay wd-40 on the exhaust bolts, dont know if this would have caused the gasket to go bad (i still havent replaced the y pipe so the gasket is the old one)
Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 PM

i think if it was indeed lifters the noise would be constant on or off the gas, cold or warm, might be something else imo, all my lifter problems have always been constant on or off the gas and hot or cold.............
Old 08-25-2009, 06:35 PM

i agree pro23, question is what else could cause it? anyone else have input?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Any updates on this issue

Any updates on this issue? Mine is ticking but should i complain as mine has 212,XXX miles on it but the noise is almost embarrising.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by joeltender
Castrol+lucas synthetic oil stabilizer=
That's whats on the plate at the next oil change I do High Mileage Castrol and Lucas
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BRETT65
Its never a good idea to switch brands unless you're switching from pennzoil. Pennzoil sucks. Did you fill your filter halfway before putting it on? If you didn't, the car ran dry until the oil could be pumped all the way through the system and its possible to hurt them or cause them to lose their prime especially on a high mileage car.
I never had a problem with Pennzoil. though I use Ultimate now that platinums not the best. whats wrong with Pennzoil now and not from the past?

and how do you watch that video? it takes me to a page to type in a password
Old 12-16-2010, 10:27 AM

Pennzoil Platinum (and Ultimate) is one of the highest rated oils on BITOG website.
Filling up you filter 1/2 way when doing oil changes is a total waste of time. The oil pressure light goes out in about 1/2 second regardless of whether you fill the filter or not.

You can run an automobile engine for about 2 minute at WOT with no oil and no coolant before things start to give out. And that is at VERY high rpms, and it won't start to seize up for another couple of minutes.

Last edited by trooplewis; 12-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Grave digging again I see?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:33 PM

okay regular conventional pennzoil is ****. I changed my oil today with yellow pennzoil and all i can hear is ticking. never had a problem with the synthetic line. Mom bought the wrong one i asked her to get and now it sucks.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM

LOL, folks here will try hard to help you with the car but we can't help you with Mom...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:40 PM

I wish my mom was still buyin my oil.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Banned

Don't get carried away with the "Marvel Snake Oil". Your problem is not anything like a sticking bucket or valve so it won't do **** in my opinion and it is basically a solvent (grease cutter) which is not what you want to do. Mineral spirits is paint thinner, also known as Varsol which is used to clean engine parts prior to repair/overhaul, and NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS (Naptha) is commonly called white gas(oline). I wouldn't put anything containing those two products in the oil in anything that I owned. This product is similar to Seafoam. Product ID:MARVEL MYSTERY OIL (SEE SUPPLEMENTAL DATA)
MSDS Date:11/01/1999
Composition/Information on Ingredients =============

Ingred Name:MINERAL SPIRITS
CAS:8052-41-3
RTECS #:WJ8925000
Other REC Limits:100 PPM (NIOSH)
OSHA PEL:2900 MG/M3;500 PPM
ACGIH TLV:525 MG/M3;100 PPM

Ingred Name:NAPTHENIC HYDROCARBONS
CAS:64742-52-5
RTECS #:PY8035000
OSHA PEL:5 MG/M3

Ingred Name:CHLORINATED HYDROCARBONS
CAS:95-50-1
RTECS #:CZ4500000
OSHA PEL:C300 MG/M3;C50 PPM
ACGIH TLV:150 MG/M3;25 PPM
ACGIH STEL:301 MG/M3;50 PPM
fail.

You need an old man to tell you what to do.

Add in 1/2 quart ATF+4. The lanoiline (sp? F-it. I'm old and drunk and I don't give a ****.) in the fluid will clean your engine. Run it for 400-500 miles then change the oil again. Be on your merry way.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by hatchexhaust
I wish my mom was still buyin my oil.
well there was none home cuz i had a few 5qts left but they re in my dads armada now. sooooo mom bought cheap fail oil and now im afraid to go past 3k rpm
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by GBAUER
fail.

You need an old man to tell you what to do.

Add in 1/2 quart ATF+4. The lanoiline (sp? F-it. I'm old and drunk and I don't give a ****.) in the fluid will clean your engine. Run it for 400-500 miles then change the oil again. Be on your merry way.

sounds scary!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:37 AM

Got the same problem and honestly I just learned to live with it, exhaust drone drowns out the ticking anyway lol

Would be nice to know exactly wtf is making that damn noise though
Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Common guys.......you're missing the point. He didn't do anything but the have the oil and filter changed. The lifter noises should not have changed no matter what oil or filter is used. I've never had sudden changes in lifter sounds from ANY car due to changing oil brands/oil viscosity/conv./synthetic (and back again) which includes the three (including my present Maxi) that have direct acting cam followers. 5W-30 is recommended and probably used by most people in this area anyway. (hotstartup.......both filters are small in comparison to others used on a lot of other cars, which is an advantage in respect to the fill time.) And......20W-50 may lower oil consumption, but I would stick to 5W or 10W-30 where we are.

......i did just the other day.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 AM

QUESTION 1: So what's worse, posting a new thread about an old problem or getting inspired by the Walking Dead?

QUESTION 2: Changed oil for the first time since I had the car (about 4,700 miles <I know, I know>, it was fresh when purchaced). No issue or noise prior to the change. Threw Castrol GTX 5w-30 in with a fresh filter and now it's knocking and pinging like It's bone dry on oil. Checked levels (properly, did check on here just in case I needed a unicorn horn and a leprechaun heart for the troll guarding the dipstick). No idea what the previous owners dealership threw in it. I read through both pages of this thread and still don't see WHY this is happening. I see that changing brands can cause this, but is it anything to be concerned about? I'll try some Lucas oil stabilizer and see what happens. Unless this has officially been resolved another way.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 AM

My car has had this noise for a min. I even spent 1500 dollars putting all new timing chains guides and tensioners Still has it a lil. I used 10w40 and Lucas. Seems to help some. Still have it on cold stars but don't hear it much while driving.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by JWatZ
QUESTION 1: So what's worse, posting a new thread about an old problem or getting inspired by the Walking Dead?

QUESTION 2: Changed oil for the first time since I had the car (about 4,700 miles <I know, I know>, it was fresh when purchaced). No issue or noise prior to the change. Threw Castrol GTX 5w-30 in with a fresh filter and now it's knocking and pinging like It's bone dry on oil. Checked levels (properly, did check on here just in case I needed a unicorn horn and a leprechaun heart for the troll guarding the dipstick). No idea what the previous owners dealership threw in it. I read through both pages of this thread and still don't see WHY this is happening. I see that changing brands can cause this, but is it anything to be concerned about? I'll try some Lucas oil stabilizer and see what happens. Unless this has officially been resolved another way.
Posting in the newbie thread makes sense too.
Knocking and pinging are associated with spark knock, this thread is about rod knock, or something similar. 2 different issues.

Got any sound clips?
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Posting in the newbie thread makes sense too.
Knocking and pinging are associated with spark knock, this thread is about rod knock, or something similar. 2 different issues.

Got any sound clips?
Sorry to post outside the noob thread with under 10,000 posts (j/k). From what I was understanding, this thread was about lifter tick. Had this issue with other cars and it was due to excess gunk on the lifters, bad timing, or shabby tensioners. All issues that developed over time, not right after an oil change. Sounds like it's coming from the upper bank, all RPM ranges. Might just rip it open and take a peak to be sure. I'm assuming the cams are pushing and pulling the lifters, but everything else has been cooky as crap on this car.

When my new radiator comes in I'll throw a video on Youtube. Not running it and dealing with antifreeze spray all over my engine again.

Last edited by JWatZ; 03-04-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Banned

FOOD!!
Check out my Mint and habanero jelly pepper dipping sauce in the G theead brudder..
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM
dot dot dot ...

Here's my tick

Looks as if I might need to YT this vid afterall.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM

Here's my tick

Looks as if I might need to YT this vid afterall.
And how did you end up fixing it? Or are you just living with it?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by JWatZ
And how did you end up fixing it? Or are you just living with it?
That's normal. That was about 50k ago.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM

Screw it then. I'll just let it go and drive like normal. Still in awe about the fact that an oil change, change in brand, whatever... is the cause of this noise. Worst case the engine goes, right?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

VQ's hardly ever "go".
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by hotstartup
i did an oil change 2 days ago with pennzoil 5w30, and a day later i have what sounds like a lifter noise. If i gently rev the car up to 900 rpm i can hear it. any clue? i normally use quaker state or castrol could switching the oil cause this? any other ideas?

What Pennzoil did you used , I use PU 5w-30 in my ride with no issues , but no 2 engines are the same . Gee , didn t watch the date , here we go . thought it was recent . Sorry fellas !

Last edited by sprocketser; 03-05-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Big mistake ! lol