5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Strange Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Strange Starting Issue

I have a 2002 Maxima with 150,000 miles on it. Lately I've developed an issue when starting the car. Maybe one out of every 20 times I try to start it I turn the key and just hear a click and nothing happens. I need to turn the steering wheel a couple of inches in either direction and turn the key again and it starts right up and runs normally.

Any idea what the problem might be? The wheels are straight when these instances occur. Doesn't seem to be too major a problem (yet), just a minor annoyance.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 AM

Among other things, that could be the start of an ignition switch problem. I had a similar issue with a 98 SE. It started doing something like that, although I don't remember the clicking (just no sound), then gradually began happening more often until I gave in and replaced the switch, which solved the problem.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Normally when an ignition switch goes south, there is no current flow, so no "clicking". When a starter is on the way out, low battery or corroded battery terminals, the starter won't energize and the clicking can be heard.
First make certain battery up to snuff and terminals are clean. If you get in a spot where it won't turn over, a rap on the starter sometimes help.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 98 SE that is doing the same. But I do hear a soft "click" when I turn the key. The click sound is coming from around the interior fuse box. I'm still trying to figure out the problem.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by MusicMan
I have a 98 SE that is doing the same. But I do hear a soft "click" when I turn the key. The click sound is coming from around the interior fuse box. I'm still trying to figure out the problem.
Relay
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
Among other things, that could be the start of an ignition switch problem. I had a similar issue with a 98 SE. It started doing something like that, although I don't remember the clicking (just no sound), then gradually began happening more often until I gave in and replaced the switch, which solved the problem.
I agree tha clicking sound makes it sound llike it's not the switch. It would be silent.

Here's my question: "Is it an auto or manual"

One of my buddies was having trouble with his clutch pedal switch. It had to be mashed completely down for the car to start.

But he thought the same as you. He turned the steering wjheel a little and it would start. What was really happening was when he turned the wheel it caused him to shift a bit and press harder on the pedal which let the car start.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Normally when an ignition switch goes south, there is no current flow, so no "clicking".......
Agreed. I'm not sure the kind of "clicking" the OP was referring to. My car was making a faint sound, not a starter type of clicking, but similar to the sound heard when you try to start an automatic car in Drive. Mine was automatic, by the way.
And you are right on the money about checking the battery terminals for a snug fit. That can make a difference.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks for all the replies. To answer the previous question, mine's an Automatic. The click to me doesn't sound like the starter, but rather just a little short "click" and I instantly know it's not going to start. I turn the key back a couple of notches, turn the wheel a bit, then try it again. Sometimes I have to move the wheel a lot, sometimes a little but it always starts eventually. Sometimes after moving the wheel once, sometimes it takes moving it two or three times before it starts. To the poster that replaced his ignition switch....how hard was that job? Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:35 PM

UPDATE:

After several months of interrmittent problems, today every time I've started the car it won't start at first. All the dashboard lights come on, the radio starts up, but no cranking whatsoever. In the past I've only had to turn the wheel a little bit in either direction to get it to start, today it has taken me turning the wheel quite a bit more. Sometimes it takes 4-5 tries before something "catches" and the engine fires right up like normal.

Once it's started it runs great until the next time I need to start it, and then I have to play with the steering wheel before it will start. Does anyone know why playing with the steering wheel will eventually allow the car to start?

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned "relay" as the possible issue. Can someone give me a little more info on replacing that relay?

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy5156
UPDATE:

After several months of interrmittent problems, today every time I've started the car it won't start at first. All the dashboard lights come on, the radio starts up, but no cranking whatsoever. In the past I've only had to turn the wheel a little bit in either direction to get it to start, today it has taken me turning the wheel quite a bit more. Sometimes it takes 4-5 tries before something "catches" and the engine fires right up like normal.

Once it's started it runs great until the next time I need to start it, and then I have to play with the steering wheel before it will start. Does anyone know why playing with the steering wheel will eventually allow the car to start?

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned "relay" as the possible issue. Can someone give me a little more info on replacing that relay?

Thanks!

A32 Ignition Switch Replacement - Howto (lots of pics) look for this in the forum. pmohr show how to replace the ignition switch with pic and video the only thing that you don't have to take of is the bar," safety equipment", other than that every thing is the same hope that it helps.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM

OmarTopSecret,

Thank you for the great post and video! I'm going to see if my local dealer has the ignition switch in stock tomorrow and then swap it out. I'll report back if that fixed my problem. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:22 AM

Do you have "janitors" key ring? that is to say do you carry lots of weight hanging off the maxima key? if so, that can cause the wear of the ignition switch.

- Vikas
Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sontakke
Do you have "janitors" key ring? that is to say do you carry lots of weight hanging off the maxima key? if so, that can cause the wear of the ignition switch.

- Vikas

lol
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM

UPDATE

OK, so tonight I replaced the ignition switch. First couple of times I turned the key she started right up. I thought, "Sweet, all fixed."

Not so fast...the next time I attempted to start it, I got the same "click"....and nothing. All the dash lights came on, the headlights, the A/C, everything, but no start, just a click. I then turned the key to start it again, got the click at first, but held the key in the starting position....and after a second or two the starter cranked and she started up fine.

My buddy was standing next to the car while this was going on and said it sounded like that click was caused by the solenoid.

Anyone want to weigh in? Bad starter? Bad Solenoid? Bad relay? Thanks!!

Obviously the ignition switch wasn't the problem (thankfully it was only a $40 mistake), so now I'm looking for some more ideas.