5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Seeking long term assessment on NWP Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:53 PM

Seeking long term assessment on NWP Spacers

I'm very close to purchasing NWP Spacers this Summer. The physics behind the spacers are sound, Aaron has proven himself as a stand-up businessman here in this forum, and has Brian Catts' endorsement.

I've read everything I can find about them, including that massive 700+ thread end-2-end. However, those postings primarily chronicle the development process and the early adopters. It would be nice to read some initial reactions and long-term assessments all in one place.

For those of you who have installed them, please post your opinions. The installation process isn't interesting to me, nor are dyno numbers. It's the butt-dyno I want to hear about.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
大陆弟弟

I've had mine installed since they were introduced and to this day it has been a worthwhile mod for me in terms of cost benefit. My car used to after long stretches on a highway heat soak pretty bad where the pull is significantly less than normal, but with these no matter how long the drive the power feels consistent. I also love the midrange improvement which makes city driving much easier. Overall the product delivers on its promises and has not disappointed me. +1 for Aaron and NWP.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:13 PM

i have a 4th gen but have the 5th gen intake 00VI and love the NWP Spacers its like putting on a Under drive pully again well almost, but never the less worth the money even more so cuz they are on sale for now its a good mod i would say even better with other mods
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM

Had them for a year now, well worth the money. $200 for 15hp is almost a no brainer. I've had no issues with mine.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 AM

what are they?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts
what are they?
Here's the NWP website, the massive Spacer Thread, and a concise, recent description from Scottwax here on the forum:

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenol...rs.html#VQ35DE

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ent-vq35s.html
"Every 10 degree drop in intake temperature improves power by about 1%. 40 degree drop equates to a 4% increase in power, which on a 255 hp car is a touch over 10 hp. Not to mention the thickness of the intake spacers lengthen the runners which increase intake velocity which improves torque and throttle response."
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM

I've had my spacers on my 2005 now for over 1 1/2 years. I know I'm not a 5th gen (I miss my 2001 so bad!) but I felt I should post. I was concerned about the long term value of the product. So far I'm completely satisfied with the end product. The performance is consistent. Well worth the investment.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by KC2010
I know I'm not a 5th gen (I miss my 2001 so bad!) but I felt I should post. I was concerned about the long term value of the product. So far I'm completely satisfied with the end product. The performance is consistent. Well worth the investment.
Thank you. I appreciate your opinion.

Was it instantly noticeable throughout the ride, like at low speed, mid-power, and full-throttle? Or was it more like something you picked up on here and there? For example, I noticed the crank pulley advantages at wind-up. And I could feel the y-pipe benefits mid-range. And the intake benefits were easily felt full-throttle.

This extra punch with the spacers... I'm kind of anticipating something appreciative all across the board. Wishful thinking?
Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's an older review thread. The company name changed a couple years ago from Nissanworks to NWP Engineering. But the design or material has NOT changed.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...mt-review.html
Old 06-16-2009, 11:15 AM

FYI. In regards to Aaron's attached thread, I have recently replaced the Berk WAI in favor of the PAB. I prefer the way the car runs with the PAB coupled with the NWP spacers, especially given the SSV.

I consider my "butt dyno" neither accurate nor precise so I'll refrain from making an assessment based on it. 2-years later, however, I am as satisfied with the spacers (in reliability, performance, and quality) as the day they were installed.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by elcid98; 06-16-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by n3985
with these no matter how long the drive the power feels consistent. I also love the midrange improvement
I agree 100%. You can't go wrong with this mod. Plus it's so well built you'll never have to worry about it again once you install them.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Thread cleaned up, back on topic please.

pimpin02max - you have been banned for a month for whoring this thread with a link to your FS thread and then giving attitude when asked to stop. If the staff detects you re-registering while banned, all your accounts will be banned permanently.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM

So these with a set of headers would seem like the best bang for your buck? Sorry to intrude but i was also looking for some feedback on the im spacers, this was exactly what i needed. Thanks, and gl.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:36 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
So these with a set of headers would seem like the best bang for your buck? Sorry to intrude but i was also looking for some feedback on the im spacers, this was exactly what i needed. Thanks, and gl.
The Thermal Intake Spacers will suit every breathing modification you do to your engine, especially headers.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 PM

3 months since I started this thread... and I finally ordered NWP Spacers. They showed up today (thanks for the t-shirt), and will be installed next week.

This will be my last mod for 2009, and I'm pretty psyched for it.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Toolie

Best engine mod for the price IMHO. I gained about 25 horse through the midrange with the spacers and my setup. I still peaked out at the same number but through the power band it made a huge difference.

check out the dyno

Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
Best engine mod for the price IMHO. I gained about 25 horse through the midrange with the spacers and my setup. I still peaked out at the same number but through the power band it made a huge difference.

check out the dyno
So... you topped out the same at red-line, but had more pull on the way there?

That kind of wording I understand, and am very enthusiastic about. Thanks, Knight.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Toolie

that would be correct, I gained between 15 and 25 horsepower and torque between 2500 rpm and 5500 rpm
Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 AM

that would be correct, I gained between 15 and 25 horsepower and torque between 2500 rpm and 5500 rpm
Stop it, man! You're going to fill my head with crazy expectations!

On a somewhat related topic...

I've read in a few other threads that you're also using using a (custom) VIAS block plate. It's a cheap and simple bolt-on mod, so lots of people are, obviously. I've been thinking that one through for a long time now, and finally came to a mindset on the issue. I'd appreciate reading you're thoughts on the matter in the context of what I'm about to say.

From what I understand, the "gain" with the block plate is more of a shift in horsepower, from the low end to the high. The butterfly valve in the VIAS allows for better low end power, but becomes blockage at full throttle... that's the idea, right?

By my way of thinking, that kind of mod makes sense if you do a lot of WOT driving. (In other words, when racing.) But for a daily driver, leaving the functional valve in place maintains a more balanced distribution of horsepower, supporting responsive feedback in the low revs.

Is that a fair assessment?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Toolie

From what I understand (I haven't done the mod but I will be soon) there is a small 1/8" hose which is used to pull on the VIAS actuator. So it cannot create a lot of pressure. At WOT the pressure on the open plate is more than the tiny hose can hold so the valve starts to close again at about 6000 RPM when it should be staying open. So removing the valve will allow the horsepower to keep increasing up to and beyond the stock redline. But there is the trade off of a little loss of torque at the bottom end. For me this is not a concern.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:52 AM

From what I understand (I haven't done the mod but I will be soon) there is a small 1/8" hose which is used to pull on the VIAS actuator. So it cannot create a lot of pressure. At WOT the pressure on the open plate is more than the tiny hose can hold so the valve starts to close again at about 6000 RPM when it should be staying open. So removing the valve will allow the horsepower to keep increasing up to and beyond the stock redline. But there is the trade off of a little loss of torque at the bottom end. For me this is not a concern.
So it's not "blockage" by the valve components per se, it's a limitation in design on the vacuum system?
Old 09-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Toolie

I think so, the valve is supposed to stay open, but from what I have read it starts to close due to turbulence. If it was mechanical as opposed to pneumatic, I think the valve would work better
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
The Thermal Intake Spacers will suit every breathing modification you do to your engine, especially headers.
does it make a difference where you live. cause up here in the winter it gets pretty cold. do you have tests on this or what not?

jake
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Toolie

it gets pretty cold up here too and I haven't had any problems.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:38 PM

You and I are in the same climate. Granted, you don't get lake-effect snow, but that's my burden for living on the other side of Lake Ontario.

So... regarding temp and humidity, if you're happy, I'm thinking I'll be happy too. We'll find out next Monday.

I'm also replacing valve cover gaskets while there. And if the plugs look a shade anything other than perfect, those too. Although, I replaced them with NGK Iridiums about 18 months ago, so probably not.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Stop it, man! You're going to fill my head with crazy expectations!

On a somewhat related topic...

I've read in a few other threads that you're also using using a (custom) VIAS block plate. It's a cheap and simple bolt-on mod, so lots of people are, obviously. I've been thinking that one through for a long time now, and finally came to a mindset on the issue. I'd appreciate reading you're thoughts on the matter in the context of what I'm about to say.

From what I understand, the "gain" with the block plate is more of a shift in horsepower, from the low end to the high. The butterfly valve in the VIAS allows for better low end power, but becomes blockage at full throttle... that's the idea, right?

By my way of thinking, that kind of mod makes sense if you do a lot of WOT driving. (In other words, when racing.) But for a daily driver, leaving the functional valve in place maintains a more balanced distribution of horsepower, supporting responsive feedback in the low revs.

Is that a fair assessment?
Thats about right. It takes away a small amount of low end power but hardly noticeable. These cars have plenty of low end power so it's not something I miss. It's a really easy mod to install/remove so if you don't like it you can easily go back.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 AM

But did you gain as much?

jake
Old 09-23-2009, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
But did you gain as much?
Didn't you see his dyno sheet?

I'm thinking it doesn't matter so much how cold it gets outside, the engine is still going to get to the same temperature. It might take a little longer, and will certainly cool down quicker, but the running temperature will be the same.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 AM

It's finally happening. NWP Spacers are getting installed. Right now. I hooked up a few years ago with a terrific street-pro mechanic that I go to for things like this.

It seems the rear valve cover gasket was leaking, and one of the plug chambers was filled with oil. Bummer about that, but he's got it covered. Otherwise, it's going well, and I should have the car after work today.

Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched.

[edited]

Son-of-a... the rear valve cover is shot. (Familiar trend, I think, after reading this forum for a while.) None of the local dealerships stock the '04 valve cover, but they all stock the '03. Anybody care to guess why? No, let me answer that: it's because Nissan knows the 5.5 gen valve cover design sucks *****, and needs replacement after a number of years.

So since I'm without a car, I've no choice to put a new (and expensive) 5.5 Gen valve cover on the car to fix the problem. And that means I don't get it back until tomorrow. It's my fault for just buying valve cover gaskets as a tag-along on the spacers, instead of '04 covers & gaskets. I mean, I knew better, but I didn't do it! Grrrr!

Highs and Lows. This is a low. The high better be pretty freakin' high.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-28-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:43 AM

It's finally happening. NWP Spacers are getting installed. Right now. I hooked up a few years ago with a terrific street-pro mechanic that I go to for things like this.

It seems the rear valve cover gasket was leaking, and one of the plug chambers was filled with oil. Bummer about that, but he's got it covered. Otherwise, it's going well, and I should have the car after work today.

Needless to say, I'm pretty psyched.
classic leaking rear valve cover and filled plug chamber, had the same problem...hopefully you replaced the gasket with a 2004 gasket and valve cover or talk to Dave B. at Southpoint Nissan seemed to fix my leak...enjoy your spacers...they're awesome.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Staticxout2
classic leaking rear valve cover and filled plug chamber, had the same problem...hopefully you replaced the gasket with a 2004 gasket and valve cover or talk to Dave B. at Southpoint Nissan seemed to fix my leak...enjoy your spacers...they're awesome.
Classic. I know. Picture me kicking myself for stupid.

The '04 covers are not an option. The Nissan Dealerships (around here) don't stock the '04 covers because those aren't defective. They only stock the defective 5.5 gen models.

I'm only driving the car for 2 more years, so the likelihood of this being a problem again is low. I hope.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM

The intake spacers are one of the best bang for buck mods.

^^ so you're saying if the time ever came and someone had a leaky rear valve cover on a 2002, they should plan on using a 2004 rear valve cover and gasket?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Classic. I know. Picture me kicking myself for stupid.

The '04 covers are not an option. The Nissan Dealerships (around here) don't stock the '04 covers because those aren't defective. They only stock the defective 5.5 gen models.

I'm only driving the car for 2 more years, so the likelihood of this being a problem again is low. I hope.
I was visiting in Lafayette, La and thier new Mossy Nissan offer you only the $44.00 valve cover which are the 04-08's....
Old 09-29-2009, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I was visiting in Lafayette, La and thier new Mossy Nissan offer you only the $44.00 valve cover which are the 04-08's....
Dude, you're kicking me when I'm already down. Ouch.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
^^ so you're saying if the time ever came and someone had a leaky rear valve cover on a 2002, they should plan on using a 2004 rear valve cover and gasket?
That's what he's saying. He's right, and I knew all about it.

In my case, however, I didn't know my rear cover was shot until it was already taken apart. And by then, it was too late to mail-order a 6th gen cover.

It's a good lesson for anyone following this: buy 6th Gen covers as preventative maintenance if you're ever removing the upper IM.

(sigh)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 AM

The intake spacers

That's what he's saying. He's right, and I knew all about it.

In my case, however, I didn't know my rear cover was shot until it was already taken apart. And by then, it was too late to mail-order a 6th gen cover.

It's a good lesson for anyone following this: buy 6th Gen covers as preventative maintenance if you're ever removing the upper IM.

(sigh)
Yeah its really good to know. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Here's a follow-up on the valve covers. The new ones were silly expensive ($150 vs. $50 covers for the 6th Gen.) But here's the interesting thing: although they look virtually identical to the original covers, the design around the plug gaskets is different.

In other words, I think Nissan redesigned the replacement covers for the 5.5 gen. That would seem to make sense.

I'm picking up my car in a couple hours. My mechanic figured out how to retain the IM support bracket below the elbow near the firewall, which was nice. And he tested the intake temps with an infrared sensor... sure enough, they dropped 40 degrees. He also said the engine sounds deeper at WOT, and he's getting wicked torque steer now in 2nd gear, which is a new development.

Methinks the spacers are doing their thing. I'll find out soon enough.

Hmm... time to update my sig.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Spacers are installed. (Yeah!)

As expected, there is a slightly deeper engine sound. It's nice. Subtle.

The throttle response is noticeably improved. By that I mean, there's a much stronger and immediate kick when punching the throttle. Also nice.

Low end and mid-range... I actually don't notice the change so much. But at WOT over 4000 to 5000 RPM, there's a growl and a pull that wasn't there before. And yes, 2nd gear torque steer is more apparent now. I suppose that's bound to happen.

Last, my Racingline FSTB easily has clearance. No problems what-so-ever there.

All told, the butt-dyno is content without being freaked-out happy. The gain from the spacers are incrementally positive, welcome and noticeable today. In a few days it will be the new normal.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:28 PM

i will give you a 4 letter word that would help with that torque steer..care to guess?

i bought these over a yr ago and sold them...maybe its time to order them again..

And yes, 2nd gear torque steer is more apparent now. I suppose that's bound to happen.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Great info...can I ask who do you guys recommend for a UDP?

Quick Reply: Seeking long term assessment on NWP Spacers