5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:03 PM
NWP Engineering.com

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread

NWP Engineering is currently developing a new modification specifically for the 02-03 Maxima! Want to keep the engine completely locked down while racing your Maxima? Polyurethane engine mounts aren't enough for those serious racers out there.

Introducing the NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link Kit!

Here are some pictures of our final production run:

This new product will reduce wheel hop, drastically improve shift response and feel, and ultimately lead to faster times and more consistant launches and shifts.

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link Kit will come complete with everything needed to install. Included will be two zinc plated CNC machined brackets, an adjustable torque link assembly, all the bolts and washers needed as well as fully detailed installation instructions. And of course, you'll get a pair of NWP Engineering vinyl decals for your car!

The torque link will connect from the front engine mount on the timing cover to the chassis. Once connected, simply rotate the torque link to tighten down the engine to the level of stiffness you prefer. The entire install should only take about 15 minutes and you will be ready for the races! Once you are finished racing, you can disconnect it in a matter of seconds with only one 19mm or 3/4" wrench and leave the brackets in place.

The final price has been set at $160.00. This kit has been released just in time for MAXUS 09 (June 26-28). www.maxus09.com

This thread was started so I can hear everyone's feedback. So, please let me know what you think and if you are interested. Once again, thank you for everyone's support. And I'll see you at MAXUS 09!

Last edited by Aaron92SE; 06-20-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Pictures have been updated
Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM

sounds like a great mod. to bad im in an AE.(auto)
Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Where at on the body does it mount? IMO, a strut somewhere in the center would likely make more of a difference, instead of over at the timing cover side.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by pmohr
Where at on the body does it mount? IMO, a strut somewhere in the center would likely make more of a difference, instead of over at the timing cover side.
It mounts on the passenger side of the engine bay frame. It keeps the engine locked completely still. But, I understand what you mean. It should keep it even more locked into place if it was mounted somewhere in the middle the engine and to where the radiator area is. But this was the best spot that doesn't require any modification to your car. You simply use existing bolt holes in your frame. The entire install should only take about 15 minutes and the engine doesn't go anywhere. It definitely works wonders located in this position.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM

Does an automatic suffer this problem? If so I'm in for one. Sounds like a simple solution.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM

this is awsome.. i promise i would be one of the buyers for this...some ?'s for you...

1. you mentioned disconnecting it after the track or whatever,.. would it cause problems if it was left connected all the time ..maybe at a less stiff level..?

2. will this cause more vibration at idle like the MM do?

3. will a write up be included?

4. not a ? but.. installed pics please!!!

5. any slight modifications needed or is it ,.. bolt up and go?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Mmh, I remember there was a similar product for my old car and it was know for ripping the side of the shock tower were it was mounted. I really think a damper strut would be a better idea than a solid rod. $.02
Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Turbo'd Saab

If I buy another maxima/altima....I will buy these hands down, no questions.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by jr schultz
Does an automatic suffer this problem? If so I'm in for one. Sounds like a simple solution.
i was kinda wondering the samething
Old 06-04-2009, 09:09 PM

IMO the engine needs to move somewhat. The poly mounts are a good idea because they considerably stiffen the motor yet it still has the ability to flex somewhat. My only question is if the engine can't move anymore thanks to this bar, where does all that energy go? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting the extra strain on my chassis.

The idea is definately a step forward, and I'm always diggin' any new mods for 5.5 gens since there's virtually nothing out there for these things. I think it would work better if it was a strut design of some sort, and maybe have it adjustable kinda like a Tokico Illumina lol.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this cause extra vibration during idle in traffic for autos since they are always in gear and never neutral.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Is this a strip only modification? You mention how easy it is to disconnect it after racing so this isn't something you recommend leaving in place for street driving?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 PM

my question is, what exactly to you mean by improved shift response and feel? i was talking with a guy recently who mentioned a similar mod where he took a piece of metal, attached it to his motor mount and drilled it down somewhere.. he said that this made his shifts alot smoother, and lessened the need for a perfect clutch/gas relationship for a smooth shift.. is this what your product will do?
Old 06-04-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't this cause extra vibration during idle in traffic for autos since they are always in gear and never neutral.
when your standing still, you pretty much in neutral as well....this will cause vibration, no matter if auto or stick. its connected to the engine. not the tranny.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:00 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by whiteSE
when your standing still, you pretty much in neutral as well....this will cause vibration, no matter if auto or stick. its connected to the engine. not the tranny.
No, you're still in gear. That's where you'd feel the most, idling in gear, stopped.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 PM

No, you're still in gear. That's where you'd feel the most, idling in gear, stopped.
well i got a 5 speed with es mounts, and while im in neutral, it still vibrates
Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
No more Maximas...

well i got a 5 speed with es mounts, and while im in neutral, it still vibrates
With ES mounts, of course you're going to get more NVH transmitted into the cabin.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:13 PM

newb question wats NVH?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
No more Maximas...

newb question wats NVH?
Noise, Vibration and Harshness.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 PM

oh ok. but i wonder if this will work on a 4th gen. the VQ35 block is almost the same as the VQ30
Old 06-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Hmm I'd hoped that my first post. Too bad I got an auto. Wouldve lead to. No! We make this part for you. But nothing so I'm hoping to hear this is for us too.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Definitely interested.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 AM

what about the 5th gens?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by rdoug26
what about the 5th gens?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by jr schultz
No matter if you have an automatic or manual transmission, you still need to keep engine movement to a minimal while racing. Most autos do not suffer from wheel hop, but they do still have traction issues. By keeping the engine locked into position, your shifts will feel a whole lot smoother and more responsive, especially if you have a shift kit of some type.

Originally Posted by mist max2000
this is awsome.. i promise i would be one of the buyers for this...some ?'s for you...

1. you mentioned disconnecting it after the track or whatever,.. would it cause problems if it was left connected all the time ..maybe at a less stiff level..?

2. will this cause more vibration at idle like the MM do?

3. will a write up be included?

4. not a ? but.. installed pics please!!!

5. any slight modifications needed or is it ,.. bolt up and go?
1) I have had my engine in my 3rd gen (VE30DE) locked down 100% of the time for the past 5+ years. So if you like how it drives on the street, then yes, you can leave it connected.
2) For those people out there that really do not want increased vibrations, then you will probably need to disconnect the torque link on the street. But the test vehicle owner (SurraTT), was barely able to notice increased vibrations even when he really tightened the engine down. This was tested on an 02 Maxima 6spd.
3) Yes, full installation instructions with pictures will be included in every kit.
4) I will see if I can dig up a reference pic of the torque link installed. It will just be a very rough prototype, but it will give you an idea how it bolts up.
5) No modifications needed AT ALL. You simply bolt up and go.

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
Mmh, I remember there was a similar product for my old car and it was know for ripping the side of the shock tower were it was mounted. I really think a damper strut would be a better idea than a solid rod. $.02
What vehicle are you referring to? This should be a completely different design. So far, it has been tested for several hundred miles. It is still being tested. But, rest assured that NWP Engineering will stand by their products if any products arise! We always have! I am a firm believer in not rushing the design and testing processes. This torque link for the 02-03 Maxima has been in the works for over a year now with several design changes to improve fitment and to make sure our customers do not run into any problems.

It sounds like the solid rod on your old vehicle was poorly designed and had weak mounting points. We will not mount this engine mount to a part of your car that we feel is weak. It is mounted directly on the actual frame. You won't find a more sturdy place to mount the lower bracket than what we used. But whenever you can, you always want to prevent the engine from moving. A damper strut will not keep the engine from moving 100%. There is a reason that every high horsepower drag racer out there has solid engine mounts and some kind of torque link. When the engine moves on the launch, it will cause more traction issues. The damper struts that you see out there on the market for other cars allow for engine movement, which keeps vibrations to a minimum while driving on the street. But it still has to move for the strut piston to get tight. So the results aren't as good as keeping the engine completely locked down.

Originally Posted by skidz88
IMO the engine needs to move somewhat. The poly mounts are a good idea because they considerably stiffen the motor yet it still has the ability to flex somewhat. My only question is if the engine can't move anymore thanks to this bar, where does all that energy go? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting the extra strain on my chassis.

The idea is definately a step forward, and I'm always diggin' any new mods for 5.5 gens since there's virtually nothing out there for these things. I think it would work better if it was a strut design of some sort, and maybe have it adjustable kinda like a Tokico Illumina lol.
This modification may not be for everyone. But all the energy will have to go into the chassis and ultimately turn into subtle vibrations in your steering wheel. But when you are trying to lay down as much power as you possibly can at the drag strip, I am willing to deal with a small increase in vibration.

And since the mounting location on your chassis is plenty strong enough, your car can handle it.

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Automatics may notice more vibration while standing still in gear than manuals. But, this is really a modification meant for racing and some of those serious street drivers. I always have just left my torque link connected even on the street. But that is not for everyone. That is why the torque link was designed to be removed so easily.

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Is this a strip only modification? You mention how easy it is to disconnect it after racing so this isn't something you recommend leaving in place for street driving?
Please let me know if what I mentioned above answers your question.

Originally Posted by wyche89
my question is, what exactly to you mean by improved shift response and feel? i was talking with a guy recently who mentioned a similar mod where he took a piece of metal, attached it to his motor mount and drilled it down somewhere.. he said that this made his shifts alot smoother, and lessened the need for a perfect clutch/gas relationship for a smooth shift.. is this what your product will do?
The specific gains that SurraTT noticed in his 02 Maxima 6spd was how much easier it was to shift aggressively into 2nd gear. Since engine movement was drastically reduced, it made for a much easier shift, just like you mentioned.

On my VE30DE Auto 92 Maxima, which had a VB mod, I noticed my shift response and feel improved by A LOT. Before, the shifts would feel harsh and sort of bang into place. But afterwards, the shifts felt smoother and much more solid and instant. The quickness of the shifts remained the same, but I was confidently able to downshift into the top of 1st or 2nd gear without the transmission banging too much.

Also, I'd like to state that this torque link should not be treated as a replacement for worn engine mounts. It is simply to reduce engine movement along with functioning engine mounts.

oh ok. but i wonder if this will work on a 4th gen. the VQ35 block is almost the same as the VQ30
Right now, this will only work in the 02-03 Maxima. I will test everything further to see if the 00-01 Maxima has the same mounting location on the chassis. But the 4th gen Maxima is a completely different bodystyle. The entire kit will need to be redesigned for proper fitment.

Originally Posted by slow_n_low
Hmm I'd hoped that my first post. Too bad I got an auto. Wouldve lead to. No! We make this part for you. But nothing so I'm hoping to hear this is for us too.
It will work on all 02-03 Maximas regardless of transmission.

Thank you for all the questions.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:58 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by rdoug26
what about the 5th gens?
It's possible the kit could fit flawlessly in an 00-01 Maxima. We plan on testing this in the near future. And if any changes need to be made to the design, we may be able to create a kit specifically for your Maxima.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's a picture of one of the earliest prototypes test fitted in the 02 Maxima. It will show you where the torque link will be installed.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
NWP Engineering is currently developing a new modification specifically for the 02-03 Maxima! Want to keep the engine completely locked down while racing your Maxima? Polyurethane engine mounts aren't enough for those serious racers out there.

Introducing the NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link Kit!

Please note that the picture below is a prototype. The final kit will be MUCH more beautiful and will have the NWP Engineering logo engraved on the larger bracket.

This new product will reduce wheel hop, drastically improve shift response and feel, and ultimately lead to faster times and more consistant launches and shifts.

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link Kit will come complete with everything needed to install. Included will be two zinc plated CNC machined brackets, an adjustable torque link assembly, all the bolts and washers needed as well as fully detailed installation instructions. And of course, you'll get a pair of NWP Engineering vinyl decals for your car!

The torque link will connect from the front engine mount on the timing cover to the chassis. Once connected, simply rotate the torque link to tighten down the engine to the level of stiffness you prefer. The entire install should only take about 15 minutes and you will be ready for the races! Once you are finished racing, you can disconnect it in a matter of seconds with only one 19mm or 3/4" wrench and leave the brackets in place.

The final price has not been set just yet, but right now, it is expected to cost between $115-130 for the kit. This kit is expected to be released before MAXUS 09 (June 26-28). www.maxus09.com

This thread was started so I can hear everyone's feedback. So, please let me know what you think and if you are interested. Once again, thank you for everyone's support. And I'll see you at MAXUS 09!

WANT ONE!!!! when are they gonna be available... for a 2001???
Old 06-05-2009, 08:22 AM

hmm...sura is one lucky bastard lls... move to MD n use my car as test dummy lol
Old 06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
You embarrass me.

Definitely interested. Seen these from the QR/Spec-V world, and was wondering when someone would make one for the FWD VQ35.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by nismoSEXIMA
WANT ONE!!!! when are they gonna be available... for a 2001???
If this particular Engine Torque Link Kit fits in the 00-01 Maxima, then it will be released just as soon as it's been tested to work in that Maxima. But if changes to the design need to be made, it will depend on several things such as how severe those design changes will be. So right now, I don't have an estimated timeframe for you on the 00-01 Maxima.

But the 02-03 Maxima Engine Torque Link Kit will be released within the next few weeks and I plan on having several kits at MAXUS 09 as well. Since this kit is so simple to install, I'm sure I will have no problem finding an 00-01 Maxima test vehicle at MAXUS.

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
hmm...sura is one lucky bastard lls... move to MD n use my car as test dummy lol
Yeah. I have been using his vehicle for several NWP prototype designs. Some of the products were never made after doing extensive testing. But the ones that pass my perfectionist standards, are the ones that actually get produced.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:18 AM
nycnissans

what is preventing this from being used on a 5th gen with a 3.0?

It looks like it may work on a 3.0, we all know when that boost hits the motor wants to jump out of the engine bay. Probably fit 4th gens as well.

Are you using steel? I wouldn't mind welding the bracket to the frame for a firmer hold instead of using the bolts.

I will take one also. Looks like I should be able to fit it on a 3.0 with zero issues, if all fails one of my 5.5 gen buddies can buy it from me.

Last edited by secondtonone317; 06-05-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:21 AM
nycnissans

looks like the supercharged guys are **** out of luck

subscribing
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
looks like the supercharged guys are **** out of luck

subscribing
For all of the supercharged A33Bs?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 AM
nycnissans

For all of the supercharged A33Bs?
yeh all those guys, lol

I meant as far as using it on a 3.0.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by secondtonone317
what is preventing this from being used on a 5th gen with a 3.0?

It looks like it may work on a 3.0, we all know when that boost hits the motor wants to jump out of the engine bay. Probably fit 4th gens as well.

Are you using steel? I wouldn't mind welding the bracket to the frame for a firmer hold instead of using the bolts.

I will take one also. Looks like I should be able to fit it on a 3.0 with zero issues, if all fails one of my 5.5 gen buddies can buy it from me.
Yes, it is zinc plated steel. So it will weld nicely. But so far, I have not had ANY issues with the bolts holding the power. And the brackets themselves are WAY over engineered. But I love sturdy brackets.

I'm not sure what is preventing it from working the 5th gen 3.0L. But I will need to test fitment to make sure. I will do that during MAXUS 09 I'm sure.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Yes, it is zinc plated steel. So it will weld nicely. But so far, I have not had ANY issues with the bolts holding the power. And the brackets themselves are WAY over engineered. But I love sturdy brackets.

I'm not sure what is preventing it from working the 5th gen 3.0L. But I will need to test fitment to make sure. I will do that during MAXUS 09 I'm sure.
Well the engine compartments of the A33 and A33B are identical in shape and size, so it should fit without an issue (assuming of course the same bolt holes are there, but most likely they are).

If you want to send me a pic of the bolt locations you're using, I can get you some measurements for the A32.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm still not completely convinced. What mods does the test car have? Like I said, the idea is a good one and of course the bar works but I'm still sure there must be a con side to this.

I would like to see this on a 5.5 gen making 240+whp, and putting down at least low 13 second times. I wanna know the condition of the frame/chassis after 1-2 years, or like 50-100 passes. Instead of an engine tie down, I'd much prefer an engine damper that still allows for some movement or has a shock to absorb the movement.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 AM
nycnissans

Originally Posted by skidz88
I'm still not completely convinced. What mods does the test car have? Like I said, the idea is a good one and of course the bar works but I'm still sure there must be a con side to this.

I would like to see this on a 5.5 gen making 240+whp, and putting down at least low 13 second times. I wanna know the condition of the frame/chassis after 1-2 years, or like 50-100 passes. Instead of an engine tie down, I'd much prefer an engine damper that still allows for some movement or has a shock to absorb the movement.
you don't have to buy it.......stop

This thing will not do any damage to the chassi. How can you justify asking a question like that after seeing the pictures of how its mounted?

Last edited by secondtonone317; 06-05-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 AM

Hmm i am certainly liking it more after seeing where is attaches. One more question Aaron92SE. The old car I was speaking of was a 00-05 Celica btw, and the other problem the rod caused was while it wouldn't let the engine move forward or backward it would actually cause the engine and tranny to twist sideways in the engine bay. Is there a hint of this at all when installed on 5.5 gens?? Your right about the solid mounting point though, that area on the car is beefy.

Quick Reply: The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread