5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

We Know of Yellow Fogs -- But What About Amber?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Wow, so you'll be running what I have in my fogs as runners. Not bad. We'll have to post comparison pictures to see how our runner output compares. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the update.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by MIK3
Wow, so you'll be running what I have in my fogs as runners. Not bad. We'll have to post comparison pictures to see how our runner output compares. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the update.
Yep. Funny you mentioned that, because I didn't make the connection between the two. It made me look at the H3 Ambers LED's that I bought for the fogs; (they're sitting on my shelf just getting dusty), and you're right, it's the same configuration. Neat.

If it goes overboard, well then there's always the 5-SMD configuration.

$10 here, $6 there, 2 weeks at a time... it's a hobby!
Old 10-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Those 9-SMD bulbs showed up today, and I put them in. I was very surprised to see them show up in a package, rather than bubble-wrap and dirty tape, like most of the bulbs shipped out of Hong Kong. And it only took about 10 days, instead of the usual 2 to 3 weeks. Nice experience, that.

Anyway, the 9-SMD's are on the left in this image below, and the 6-LED's are on the right.
First off, they fit. I know I measured it, and it is tight, but they do fit.

Second, the color is identical, which is good, because I was thinking the SMD light would be too yellow. It isn't. They're the same color amber.

Third, the brightness is pretty much the same. The SMD light is a little brighter, but not much.

Last, the light distribution is far, FAR superior with the new lights. Where the LED is kind of a pin-***** of light, the new bulbs spread the light around the reflector, creating a far better look, IMO.
For $5.99 and $4 shipping, I highly recommend these replacement bulbs.

[edited] For people who like white light in the runners, just imagine how perfect the white bulbs would be! For me, I'm very happy now with the ambers, but I'm just saying... the white would be awesome.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-15-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM

Hey, MIK3. Throughout Summer '09, I've been playing with various lighting considerations on the car, and the whole thing started for me with this thread.

I was thinking about that tonight, and figure I should say "thank you" for the inspiration.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hey, MIK3. Throughout Summer '09, I've been playing with various lighting considerations on the car, and the whole thing started for me with this thread.

I was thinking about that tonight, and figure I should say "thank you" for the inspiration.

Quite a beautiful write up on the LED/SMD comparison. I'm sure many a member will find it useful (as I did). One way I was able to really notice your 4th and last point about the light distribution was by angling my lap-top screen down (so it was @ around a 140 degree angle). From the pictures, it is evident that the SMD's outshine. Nicely done.

Also, I appreciate the thanking. Always good to know I've, in part, been responsible for creative and different ways of modifying our beloved maximas!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:25 AM

WELL I'M BACK ON AMBER ALERT, FIGURED I WOULD LET U KNOW. IT WAS JUST A CONNECTION. I TOOK APART MY PASSENGER SIDE FOG LIGHT TO FIND OUT IT WAS JUST UNPLUGGED..SO I TIGHTENED UP MY FEMALE CONNECTOR..CONNECTED IT BACK TOGETHER...AND NOW I'M ALL GOOD ...THAT IS ALL
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 AM

wow good job,those running lights look awesome.
thats just what im looking for, im definatly going to pick them up..
ebay?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
wow good job,those running lights look awesome.
thats just what im looking for, im definatly going to pick them up..
ebay?
Thanks. Yep, ebay. There are a number of sellers who offer the 9-SMD wedge, but I bought them from this store here.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Hi-Tech-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Most everything I got from Hong Kong this summer has been in a ratty old box or envelope, wrapped in recycled bubble-pack, and taped up kind of dirty. Not so with this guy. Very impressive, and under 2 weeks delivery.

If you get them in white, let us know and post a picture. I'm kind of curious.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM

i have a fourth gen with amber fogs (Well, till now cause my wife got in an accident.) and i love them.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by markwtye
i have a fourth gen with amber fogs (Well, till now cause my wife got in an accident.) and i love them.
The sig picture is smallish, but that sure looks good on Pearl White. Very good, in fact.

And it looks good on MIK3's Sunlit Sand. Not so much my Sheer Silver.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Bumping an old thread because my drivers side runner went out! I was planning to go white, but I'm not sure now after seeing the amber runners. 168 bulb, correct? I'm gonna call around today and see if any shops around here have white and amber leds so I can try it out and see what I like better.

Anyone have a picture of white in the runners?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM

PIA Amber H3's ION's? Too yellow?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PIA Amber H3's ION's? Too yellow?
I am using these and quite like them. Had Super Whites in there before, just wanted a change. The yellow/amber stand out better in the crappy weather. Color is does not come through in pics well, tried.

Nothing like bringing old posts up from the grave, eh Rochester

Last edited by MerlotMax; 05-19-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

orderd blubs today hopefully they come out looking ok
Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 PM

clashez, make sure to post those pictures!

I haven't seen any white runners, but I'm sure they exist.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by MerlotMax
I am using these and quite like them. Had Super Whites in there before, just wanted a change. The yellow/amber stand out better in the crappy weather. Color is does not come through in pics well, tried.
Could you try again with the photos, MerlotMax? I'm looking for a change-up, too. Try a shot during dusk.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Could you try again with the photos, MerlotMax? I'm looking for a change-up, too. Try a shot during dusk.
I'll give it another try this weekend. The other thing I had done though was a couple cotes of Night Shade on my fogs - Damn, need to clean up the car & get pictures with the Mach 1 lip that I put on 4 years ago.

Last edited by MerlotMax; 05-20-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:19 PM

Sorry for the delay, here are a couple.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:20 AM

Finally found a use for that amber Oracal Tint purchased so many years ago in this thread. And now that I have a white car, with fogs trimmed in chrome... I'm all grins.

Mike, if you're notified with this bump... hope all is well with you.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM

get us some night pics gramps i wanna see how this illuminates at night
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim

get us some night pics gramps i wanna see how this illuminates at night
Not a grandfather yet, since my oldest is only 12.

So I will not comply with your wishes, bishes.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Not a grandfather yet, since my oldest is only 12.

well then POPS!!!!!!!! grant us night pics...not the Paris Hilton kind though
Old 07-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Sigg'd
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Amber looks very nice aesthetically. However, functionally it's not a good fog light color. Due to the blue light components. For a fog light's intended purpose. Improving vision when driving in poor weather. "Selective Yellow" is well documented as the most effective fog light color.

FYI: "In 1936, the French wanted a way to identify the registration nationality of vehicles at night. However, they did not want to reduce roadway safety, and wanted in fact to improve it if possible. White light with the blue component subtracted is known as "Selective Yellow" light, in technical papers out of France on the subject. It is a pure yellow color with little or no orange component, hence the French yellow headlamps. Yellow lamps have consistently over the years been subjectively ranked as better in poor weather and lower in glare than white ones. Is it a subjective impression yellow fog lamps seem to work better? Because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly. They are the shortest visible wavelengths and tend to focus in front of our eyes' retinae, rather than upon it. To demonstrate this to yourself, find a dark blue store front sign or something else that's a dark, pure blue against a dark background in the absence of white light from any appreciable distance, it's almost impossible for your eyes to see the blue lighted object as a sharply defined form; the edges blur significantly. Blue also is a very difficult color of light to look at; it stimulates the reaction we call glare. Within the range of allowable white light, bluer headlamps have been shown to be 46% more glaring than yellower ones for a given intensity of light. So, it seems culling the blue out of the spectrum lightens the optical workload and reduces glare. For a more detailed examination of this effect with respect to driving in foul weather, see Bullough & Rea's study on the topic."
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Sorry, Bob. Don't care.

It's a beautiful, aesthetic mod, not a functional one. No need for fog lights around here.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:06 PM

Sorry, Bob. Don't care.
^^

x235243523452

lol. Sorry Mr.Pezz, but I was thinking precisely the same thing.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:40 PM

Sorry, Bob. Don't care.

It's a beautiful, aesthetic mod, not a functional one. No need for fog lights around here.
Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
^^

x235243523452

lol. Sorry Mr.Pezz, but I was thinking precisely the same thing.
Agreed, aesthetically the amber looks very nice on the car. I'm just citing info on the fact yellow is the correct fog light color for functional use. For those that may find it helpful.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Agreed, aesthetically the amber looks very nice on the car.
And today I realized why. :lightbulb:

Certainly the white has something to do with it. White and orange just work together, always have. But it's not just that. On the 5th gen max, the fogs are larger, and there's no transition from the lens to the bumper. Whereas on my G, the fogs are small, with a chrome ring, against a black panel, in an area that is designed to be apart from the main bumper. It just works.

The more I look at this, the more I like it and want to keep the mod.

Funny how I was never planning on this for the G. Noticed the roll of tint this weekend and thought, why not?
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Since we are on a fog light topic. Both of my fog lights are cracked they're glass. Do they have pastic fog lights for the 03 maximal.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by MillionBlades
Since we are on a fog light topic. Both of my fog lights are cracked they're glass. Do they have pastic fog lights for the 03 maximal.
Nope. Get the glass lens replacements. Buy them in pairs. Install a clear 3M protective tint over them. Research for bulbs... or go HID.

Lots of threads here for all that stuff.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM

so what was that 5 million word essay about?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 AM

nice man, looks perfect. a nice example of what all of us should evolve to when our maximas are retired.

im guessing that's the stock HID color? they look different probably just the picture and contrast to the orange enhancements
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
nice man, looks perfect. a nice example of what all of us should evolve to when our maximas are retired.

im guessing that's the stock HID color? they look different probably just the picture and contrast to the orange enhancements
Fog and headlamp bulbs are OEM. The fog lens seems to be intentionally cloudy, maybe for more dispersion, IDK. And yeah, the headlamp low-beams are HID Projectors.

Haven't seen your sig in a while, Prophecy. That new sig photo is positively brilliant!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Finally found a use for that amber Oracal Tint purchased so many years ago in this thread. And now that I have a white car, with fogs trimmed in chrome... I'm all grins.

Mike, if you're notified with this bump... hope all is well with you.
Hey John!

After, what? Three years, and this thread is still getting some attention, thanks to it's original contributor! Good to hear.

My original 9-SMD set up is STILL running strong. About 4 months ago, I finally replaced my stock D2R HIDs for some 5000k (which, btw, are the OPTIMAL color for a completely crystal white look - don't understand how a higher kelvin deviates further from blue, but no complaints!)

The amber set up on the new G brings a tear to my eye. It's beautiful! Glad to see the set up is living on post-Maxima. I shall have a similar set up for a future car. The white car / amber set up is my all-time favorite color scheme.

As for my absence, I sporadically check the org from time to time now, unfortunately. I'm currently in Silicon Valley doing an internship for some user experience work. Two years left for my PhD and then I may finally (FINALLY) have a proper income to have a weekend beast and a daily driver. My last mod may be a proper tune, but I don't know if I want to fork over all the money for a piggyback. Anyway, that's all beside the point, but I figured I'd fill you in as you were one of cooler members on this board.

Hope all is well with you too, and the Maxima community, for that matter! I'll subscribe to this thread, so that I don't miss any future communication! Glad I stumbled upon this
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by MIK3
Hey John!

After, what? Three years, and this thread is still getting some attention, thanks to it's original contributor! Good to hear.

My original 9-SMD set up is STILL running strong. About 4 months ago, I finally replaced my stock D2R HIDs for some 5000k (which, btw, are the OPTIMAL color for a completely crystal white look - don't understand how a higher kelvin deviates further from blue, but no complaints!)

The amber set up on the new G brings a tear to my eye. It's beautiful! Glad to see the set up is living on post-Maxima. I shall have a similar set up for a future car. The white car / amber set up is my all-time favorite color scheme.

As for my absence, I sporadically check the org from time to time now, unfortunately. I'm currently in Silicon Valley doing an internship for some user experience work. Two years left for my PhD and then I may finally (FINALLY) have a proper income to have a weekend beast and a daily driver. My last mod may be a proper tune, but I don't know if I want to fork over all the money for a piggyback. Anyway, that's all beside the point, but I figured I'd fill you in as you were one of cooler members on this board.

Hope all is well with you too, and the Maxima community, for that matter! I'll subscribe to this thread, so that I don't miss any future communication! Glad I stumbled upon this
Thought you would like the amber fogs. Thanks, man. I never planned on it with the G, but then just stumbled across that old tube of amber tint, and now I'm totally loving it.

My maxima went to a friend here on the Org (merovi). Great guy.

Good to hear from you, Mike, and that all is well.