5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

We Know of Yellow Fogs -- But What About Amber?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by MIK3
I find it a tad hypocritical to post a pointless post on something you deem "pointless".
Hilarious!

MIK3, I think what you did was fantastic, and inspirational for people considering amber fogs. If you're of a mind to take more pictures, I'd love to see them.

Did you try and find amber colored film, by any chance? I know that's not a color offered by Lamin-x, but I wonder if anyone has it to sell... amber colored protective film? For crazy example, I'm not saying the following stuff would apply, (I'm not even really sure what it is exactly), but something akin to this: http://www.shop3m.com/70016039219.html

Did you go to a local tint shop and tell them you want amber fogs, and see what they could come up with?

Last edited by Rochester; 06-15-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just figured I would throw this out there....

It seems a lot of people in this thread like the amber for the fog lights, but the down side is that you loose the output due to the LED's. Has anyone searched for amber H3 halogen bulbs? I did a really quick search online but didnt come up with anything. I would assume they are out there somewhere because lots of bulbs sizes come in amber.

If someone could find them, you could have the matching amber and get at least some output.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:48 AM

i'm thinking about finding my old h3 bulbs and painting them amber w/ some shop paint
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 AM

Fog re-wire coming up and amber LED running lights as well. Keep posted.
ill wait for you to make it to the east coast to do my fog re-wire lol

im scared to touch those wires
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 AM

I contacted Lamin-x and they said, "Sorry, no amber." Then they told me to go research "Oracal Orange transparent PVC film".

Found this online, but it's very expensive:

https://www.hyatts.com/sign/oracal-8...-orange-T37203

I still want to research some local tint shops and ask their advice.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 AM

i dont want the lense to be orange/amber..i just want the bulb. cuz i want to eventually get smoked fog lights
Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
ill wait for you to make it to the east coast to do my fog re-wire lol

im scared to touch those wires
Nah, it's really an easy procedure. Strip a wire and quick spice it with another one and you're done. Took me like 10 minutes tops. Housecor's write-up is a good one.

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Just figured I would throw this out there....

It seems a lot of people in this thread like the amber for the fog lights, but the down side is that you loose the output due to the LED's. Has anyone searched for amber H3 halogen bulbs? I did a really quick search online but didnt come up with anything. I would assume they are out there somewhere because lots of bulbs sizes come in amber.

If someone could find them, you could have the matching amber and get at least some output.
Yeah, I actually searched pretty extensively for some amber H3's. I continue to search every now and then. If they were to come up, I would definitely swap them out. The minimal output isn't too big of a worry for me really though. But LED vs. H3 amber, I'd definitely choose H3. Someone else mentioned 2000k HID's as well. I'm guessing at that level, the output is pretty amber.
Originally Posted by Rochester
Hilarious!

MIK3, I think what you did was fantastic, and inspirational for people considering amber fogs. If you're of a mind to take more pictures, I'd love to see them.

Did you try and find amber colored film, by any chance? I know that's not a color offered by Lamin-x, but I wonder if anyone has it to sell... amber colored protective film? For crazy example, I'm not saying the following stuff would apply, (I'm not even really sure what it is exactly), but something akin to this: http://www.shop3m.com/70016039219.html

Did you go to a local tint shop and tell them you want amber fogs, and see what they could come up with?
I never really thought of tinting the bulb itself. I always assumed the bulb would get too hot for any film/spray. If there are high-temp sprays out there, this might be a route.

There's a lot of different methods those who are wanting amber fogs can pursue. I'll continue to search for amber H3's and let you guys know what I come up with.

The re-wire is done. I am now waiting on amber LED 904 running lights to complete the theme.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:57 PM

im definitely waiting to see this. i looked at hte write up again today and i think since i have the car stripped down i may try to do that this week too.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:07 PM

You know, I've been looking at color charts, and I'm thinking the side-markers and turn signals could be more accurately labeled apricot, rather than amber.

Look at this list of 3M graphic films:

http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productc...=42056#details

Lamin-x has made a business out of marketing kits pre-cut to fit, but they have to get their material somewhere, right?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORANG...205|240%3A1318

Old 06-16-2009, 03:32 PM

Holy crap, nalc! That's it! And for pennies, too, so if I don't like it, no real loss.

Brilliant. I'm going to buy a sheet. Of course, this now forces me to replace one of my cracked fogs... but I knew that was coming if I continued this research.

Thanks! This forum is awesome.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 AM

thats nice..but i really hate to have amber fogs film...i'm going to wait and see
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
thats nice..but i really hate to have amber fogs film...i'm going to wait and see
Understood. I might come to the same opinion. But $6.99 was throw-away enough to experiment, so I ordered a sheet of film, and ebay'd a replacement lens assembly for my cracked fog ($64 after shipping).

It'll probably be a week or so before it all comes together, at which point I'll post pics lights-on and off...

...unless it's so freaking hideous as to be pointless. And if that's the case, at least I'll have a spare (cracked) lens to experiment with other options.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-17-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Yes. Looking forward to the pictures Rochester. I just ordered my LED 194's today for my running lights. As soon as those come in, I'll do some quick shots of those and the re-wire for the all-amber setup. Pretty hopeful about it.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:05 AM

194s...those are for the side markers?

i would have done my rewire, but i'm shampooin the inside of the max...while doing that i fried my vac...IT SAID IT WAS A WET/DRY VAC...wat gives? lol but thats whats holding me up, taking longer to do that which takes away from alot of what i wanted to do to the maxipad
Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM

Yeah, sidemarkers, running lights, license lights and some other locations. But I hear you. I have been having stupid phone issues. Very frustrating when I spend the money for a new phone yet have to revert to an old unlocked one for calls...
Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 AM

The orange/amber film showed up today. For $6.99 you get a plastic squeegee, instructions, and enough film to do maybe 10 fogs or more. It's plenty of film, in case I screw up the first few efforts.

I'm still waiting on a replacement fog lens before I play with it.

No opinion as of yet on the overall idea. Like I said, I'm prepared to find the end result wholly unacceptable, but $6.99 was sure inexpensive enough to experiment.

In the meantime, I'm playing with my engine cover burger. I ordered a new one, but while waiting I took the old one off the shroud, peeled the wrinkled chrome off, and will see how I like it painted. Then I'll decide which one I like better.

Sometimes, it's the little things that can be fun.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-20-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Sometimes, it's the little things that can be fun.

You're telling me I did have fun with the burger as well. Just be patient, it'll pay off. Looking forward to those filmed fogs as well.

phatboislim: Muster up enough courage to do the re-wire yet? If not, this should help ya. On the write up, the actual product name that you want to look for for the item that is named "quick splice" is an 18-14 gauge "Tap-in Sqeeze connector" from Radio Shack. They come in like a bag of 15, so if you mess one up (which I did), you have more the work on. You'll need to squeeze it with pliers to ensure the metal part taps in to to both wires (i.e. goes through the rubber coating and makes contact with the copper wire). Here's a pic to help you out.

Make sure that blue wire is at least 3" coming from the relay because it's a bastard to work with if not. PM me if you need more insight/pictures
Old 06-21-2009, 05:04 AM

On the write up, the actual product name that you want to look for for the item that is named "quick splice" is an 18-14 gauge "Tap-in Sqeeze connector" from Radio Shack...
Man am I pleased that you posted that photo. Just yesterday, I picked up a small bag of splicers at Lowes, but didn't really like the gauge and size. Therefore, I didn't pursue the fog rewire yet because I wasn't 100% comfortable with it.

Housecor's writeup is awesome and welcome, to be sure. But it was kind of confusing, too. Took me a couple of re-reads to realize he was differentiating between 5th gen and 5.5 gen in the same context. And the wire photos weren't totally clear.

Your photo/diagram and specs are very helpful, MIK3. Kind of amazing really, that you went through all that effort. But very appreciated nonetheless.

[UPDATED - later that same night]

My fogs are now rewired into the tail-light relay, so they can be enabled with the driving lights. Your diagram gave me the confidence to follow through on this. Thanks, MIK3. Very cool.

phatboislim, you can do this. Just have patience unlatching the relay box, it's a pain but it does come apart.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-21-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:22 AM

You're telling me I did have fun with the burger as well. Just be patient, it'll pay off.
I know the burger is off-topic, but...

...the chrome peeled off just fine with a razor blade and patience. The adhesive padding behind it on the cover -- that was more of a pain. Some goo-be-gone and some scraping got that off, but scratched up the burger depression in the process. So I masked and painted the burger depression the same color as the V6 3.5 lettering. Looks great. I think it'll provide better contrast for the replacement burger.

Noticed the four 6m bolts for the cover were very corroded, so I cleaned them down to the metal with a wire wheel on the grinder, and sprayed them with flat-black high-temp paint. Was rather surprised how much nicer it all looked without corroded bolts and washers.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:43 PM

My fogs are now rewired into the tail-light relay, so they can be enabled with the driving lights. Your diagram gave me the confidence to follow through on this. Thanks, MIK3. Very cool.
Not a problem man, glad I could help.

Glad the burger update went well. The small things definitely make the difference sometimes. Post some pics when you get the chance.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:24 PM

My replacement fog lens showed up yesterday... it's a "Depo" product, not "Nissan". I mean, it's the same dimensions and all, but not the same lens. I suppose I'll have to install it to judge whether or not it clashes with my non-cracked Nissan lens on the passenger side. However, I'm feeling kind of pessimistic.

How that goes will determine how it goes applying the Oracal Orange film. Either way, I've got things to play with this weekend.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Good deal. I'm guessing the clash won't be so evident from afar. Looking forward to seeing how the film does. My LED runners should be in pretty soon here. The day they show up, I'll installing and posting pics.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM

On the side of this topic... my replacement engine cover burger showed up today. Ironically, I'm a little torn about what to do. While waiting, I stripped and painted my old burger, and really like the dark look. The colors work with the "V6 3.5" lettering.

But the new burger is all perfect, shiny chrome, with the adhesive padding ready to go. Then I painted the "nissan" lettering red against the chrome, and that's a pretty hot look.

I'll probably go with the chrome burger, having paid for it and all.

Methinks I've petered away way too much time on this. Moving on...

[Updated] I went with the chrome and red burger. It looks very slick on the engine cover. Very happy.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-27-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:58 AM

Got my LED day runners in today. Going to install them in about 16 hours.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:25 AM

Got my LED day runners in today. Going to install them in about 16 hours.
tick. tick. Counting down... Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

At the moment, I have the car jacked up and am studying the plastic fender protector with some frustration. One screw, one bolt and one stupid plastic clip. Very likely I'll have to break that clip and buy something to replace it.

Man, nothing is easy.

[Updated] OK, the fender protector was not a big deal. And about rusted bolts... KROIL is just about the best penetrating lubricant known to man.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-27-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Oh crap. The orange "lamin-x" film looks hideous on the lens. It's actually not so bad when lit up, but when unlit it just looks all blurry and wrong. In fact, even when lit up it's rather blurry.

Well... this little experiment was only $6.99 out of pocket, and a few hours sweat labor. I suppose it was worth trying.

If anyone wants to say, "I told you so", it might be deserving.

On the up-side, I learned how to replace my fogs, and finally swapped out an old cracked lens.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
boost me.....

Oh crap. The orange "lamin-x" film looks hideous on the lens. It's actually not so bad when lit up, but when unlit it just looks all blurry and wrong. In fact, even when lit up it's rather blurry.

Well... this little experiment was only $6.99 out of pocket, and a few hours sweat labor. I suppose it was worth trying.

If anyone wants to say, "I told you so", it might be deserving.

On the up-side, I learned how to replace my fogs, and finally swapped out an old cracked lens.
Please tell me you took pics, I had lumin-x on my fogs(3M) and I loved them and they looked great!

Post pics please kind sir.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96blackmaxSE
Please tell me you took pics, I had lumin-x on my fogs(3M) and I loved them and they looked great!

Post pics please kind sir.
Sorry, man. In the moment that was kind of like, "This milk has gone bad! Here, taste it!"

The best I can do is explain what I was thinking.

I tried 3 separate times to apply the film (off the car, of course); each time getting a little better at it. However, try as I might, there were always 3 or 4 extremely tiny bubbles here and there. Granted, that's nothing you'd see without close inspection, still...

And even though I was really careful on the cut around the edge, there was no way really to hide the obvious, that being there's a film on the lens.

When unlit, the lens seemed too uniformly orange. Although the color is a pretty good match to the side markers and the turning signals, the sense of visual depth was so frosted over, it looked less appealing than clear glass.

When lit, they actually looked pretty darn good. But I think mostly in passing. Under longer scrutiny, the opinion went south.

I went back and forth for about 15 minutes, then I ran the opinion past my wife, and she didn't spark up to them. In the end, I decided the unlit-orange was maybe too ricey.

So I bailed.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Finally! All Amber v. Official!

Finally, I have an all one-tone amber set-up. The fogs match perfectly with the day runners match perfectlly with the sidemarkers. I'm very happy with this set up. LED 194's and H4's, stock sidemarkers. PM me for specs on which LEDs and where I got them from. Pics below, enjoy:

Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 AM

Finally, I have an all one-tone amber set-up. The fogs match perfectly with the day runners match perfectlly with the sidemarkers. I'm very happy with this set up. LED 194's and H4's, stock sidemarkers. PM me for specs on which LEDs and where I got them from.
That is absolutely gorgeous. You totally did this project right, and have every reason to be happy with the results.

The daytime running lights, MIK3... I just went out to investigate, and yeah those are the same $2 bulbs used in the side markers. So all you did was swap for something like this http://www.oznium.com/194?

Where did you get yours, please?

And then there's that NWP box in your garage... taunting me to get those spacers. I am so freaking jealous. You're killing me this morning.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-28-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Thanks man. Yeah, I just swapped them for a 6 led wedge-bulb set up. Here's the link to the actual auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4411&viewitem=

Let me know if that doesn't work and I can get you the guy's Ebay member alias.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 PM

Thanks man. Yeah, I just swapped them for a 6 led wedge-bulb set up. Here's the link to the actual auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4411&viewitem=

Let me know if that doesn't work and I can get you the guy's Ebay member alias.
Got it. Found his new auction for the same part, and I just ordered 2 sets (so I can have 2 for replacements, just in case.) $4/set is fantastic, if it lives up to expectations.

I'm very psyched. Thanks, Mike.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:50 PM

Good deal. Make sure to post up pics! The LED's are a perfect shine. Not too bright, but not to dull.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:27 AM

MINE ARE NO WHERE NEAR THAT BRIGHT...I SERIOUSLY NEED TO GET TIME TO GO REDO MINE OR SOMETHING...
Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 AM

All amber looks great, those pics are finally up and look good... So mik3 where did you end up getting your LED's from than since I see a few other people are disappointed with theirs I wanna make sure I order the same bright ones you got yourself there..
Old 06-29-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by woody6212
All amber looks great, those pics are finally up and look good... So mik3 where did you end up getting your LED's from than since I see a few other people are disappointed with theirs I wanna make sure I order the same bright ones you got yourself there..
Thanks for the compliments. I'm thinking some members might have had issues because of the 00-01 housing on the fogs being plastic? I'm not sure it would make that much of a difference though. Here are my sources:

Fogs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-H3-Fog-Ligh...3A1%7C294%3A50

Day-runners:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2pcs-158-168-194...3A1%7C294%3A50
Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 PM

The amber LED's finally showed up today. It took 12 days... all the way from Hong Kong. However, I don't mind waiting 2 weeks when receiving 4 bulbs for only $10.80. That seems a fantastic deal.

For kicks, I tried them in the front door courtesy lights, and the running lights, and the license plate lights... and they work just fine everywhere. It seems these wedge bulbs are pretty universal.

Anyway. The daytime amber look was very clean, and I preferred the amber to the off-white. But once the sun started going down... wow! These look great!

And since I had 4 of them, I put the other two over the rear license plate. I rather like this, too. It lights up the plate without advertising the number in look-at-me white.

Coincidentally, I read recently in AutoBlog a study on the safety factor of amber turning signals over red. Apparently, amber registers on the brain better than red does. Good timing, that article.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/02/r...-turn-signals/

As to the fogs... I already tried and abandoned the film-approach. And I can't say as I'm going to replace the bulb to go amber any time soon. But maybe later this summer, if I get re-inspired.

For now, I'm very happy to have spent basically nothing except time and bruised fingers to get a new look that is subtle without being tacky.

I love that this forum has ideas like this to play with. And the fog-rewiring, too. Awesome.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:20 PM

i'm pretty sure unless i get the money needed to purchase the amber HIDs...i'm going back to my yellow, you cant even see my amber...MIK3 is real fortunate
Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 PM

The amber lights look pretty badass

Quick Reply: We Know of Yellow Fogs -- But What About Amber?