5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Gen dyno FAIL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM

5.5 Gen dyno FAIL!

UPDATE please read page 3.....

Ok so they had a dyno day today at a local shop. I knew I wasn't going to run great numbers because I knew something is wrong with my car.
This is the other thread that someone started about how it feels and what could possibly be wrong.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...03-maxima.html

Anyway here is the dyno..flaming may happen, but I would rather get some constructive input in this matter. My mods are listed in my Sig.. It looks like I'm running pretty lean. However how would this give me 30-50 HP and TQ less than other Maximas with the same mods.....?

OBTW...I kept getting it called the Maxi-Pad (before the run) and "Hey the car is backwards, and the engine is sideways".....fun stuff...mustangers

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 05-10-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Ouch! I probably get better #'s then that in my 5th Gen.

Hopefully someone can help you out and figure wtf is going on.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Turbo'd Saab

are you throwing any codes?
Old 04-25-2009, 05:18 PM

I'm sure you would! I don't recall what stock dyno runs are, but I'm sure its equal to or more then....

The shop said I'm running really lean, a piggyback system should help....
Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
are you throwing any codes?
Nope, the only pending/hidden codes I'm showing is P1800 which is VIAS system fail, however I have deleted the VIAS and used the block off plate so that's a given.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:26 PM

Wow! That sucks, very dissapointing. There is surely something wrong with the car. Good luck in finding out what is wrong. Keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 321VQ35MAX
Wow! That sucks, very dissapointing. There is surely something wrong with the car. Good luck in finding out what is wrong. Keep us posted.
Yeah it does lol...There def has to be something wrong...and this thread will stay updated for sure..
Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM

Thanks for your replies! I still could use input from anyone that has some lol
Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Test coilpacks, change spark plugs, check all fluids, compression test, check the MAF

Your AFR is high IMO, but nothing out of the range of 12-14.7.

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 04-25-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 PM

I was thinking about replacing all my injectors because when the spacers were put in the shop that did it carelessly and used too much rtv during the instal, which cause a bogging in my start up but ran fine during normal op.....they reinstalled the spacers for free and used anarobic sealant instead and now no more start up bog..but would that cause a 30-50hp drop?? plugs are brand new, oil change will be done this weekend, was done 2500 miles ago and synthetic, coolant could stand to be flushed...and i havent done a compression test, checked coilpacks or maf check..ill up search for more info on those soon (DIY ETC) and post back results...any more ideas?

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 04-25-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:00 PM

I dont understand how you can dyno that low with no codes.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:06 PM

I don't know but an AFR approaching 15 at WOT is waaaaay too lean. This is most likely why your max has better performance while cold, because it is less prone to detonation. With this lean AFR your engine is probably retarding ignition timing A LOT to avoid knock/detonation.

You mentioned you deleted your VIAS and have a block off plate? Any vacuum leaks around this? Your engine could be sucking in unmetered air, thus causing it to be so lean.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
I dont understand how you can dyno that low with no codes.
The only code I have is pending P1800 but thats for VIAS system fail

Originally Posted by modenaf1
I don't know but an AFR approaching 15 at WOT is waaaaay too lean. This is most likely why your max has better performance while cold, because it is less prone to detonation. With this lean AFR your engine is probably retarding ignition timing A LOT to avoid knock/detonation.

You mentioned you deleted your VIAS and have a block off plate? Any vacuum leaks around this? Your engine could be sucking in unmetered air, thus causing it to be so lean.
When I got my timing advanced the dude that did it said my timing was retarded by 1. So it was 14. On the dyno sheet you can see the up and down quite a bit, thats the ECU retarding the timing I believe.

I do have the block off plate yes, and the vacuum line is capped off, I can check the cap to make sure its on there tight. I just checked all air/vacuum lines and they are tight and clamped correctly.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
The only code I have is pending P1800 but thats for VIAS system fail

When I got my timing advanced the dude that did it said my timing was retarded by 1. So it was 14. On the dyno sheet you can see the up and down quite a bit, thats the ECU retarding the timing I believe.

I do have the block off plate yes, and the vacuum line is capped off, I can check the cap to make sure its on there tight. I just checked all air/vacuum lines and they are tight and clamped correctly.

Yes, it definitely looks like that from the ups and downs on the sheet. I am almost certain it is retarding timing. It would have to with an AF that lean.

There may be a crack or something isn't seated properly. Could be the spacers too.

Apparently a good check for vacuum leaks is to take a propane torch, don't light it, but turn it on so it spews propane gas out and wave it around your intake manifold area. If there there is a vacuum leak and it sucks propane in, you will hear a change in your idle speed.

At this point I would say this probably has to be either:

1.) Vacuum leak or unmetered air getting in from somewhere. (too much air)
2.) plugged up/blocked injector or faulty injector harness/connections. (not enough fuel)
Old 04-25-2009, 07:25 PM

swine flu
/thread

on a serious not that is pretty messed up.. Im surprised too you aren't throwing any codes with all that power loss
Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM

damn dude! i have no input sorry but my 02 dynoed at those same exact numbers as well!. if you figure something out let me know. goodluck
Old 04-25-2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nevermore
damn dude! i have no input sorry but my 02 dynoed at those same exact numbers as well!. if you figure something out let me know. goodluck
Was your graph all jaggedy like his? Do you know your AF ratio through the dyno run?

Also what about altitude correction? Without SAE compensation I wouldn't be shocked if my car puts down about 130-140hp at the wheels just because of my altitude and thin air. That can make a huge difference too.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Yes, it definitely looks like that from the ups and downs on the sheet. I am almost certain it is retarding timing. It would have to with an AF that lean.

There may be a crack or something isn't seated properly. Could be the spacers too.

Apparently a good check for vacuum leaks is to take a propane torch, don't light it, but turn it on so it spews propane gas out and wave it around your intake manifold area. If there there is a vacuum leak and it sucks propane in, you will hear a change in your idle speed.

2.) plugged up/blocked injector or faulty injector harness/connections. (not enough fuel)
Well I don't have much time to check these, so I may drop it off at another performance shop around here to see what they can find......I wish I could do all this myself but I just have no time.....if you look at the other thread I said it sounds like I'm getting too much air (like rushing air noise)

Originally Posted by denny_1986
swine flu
/thread

on a serious not that is pretty messed up.. Im surprised too you aren't throwing any codes with all that power loss
LULZ i would hope not! and yeah its lame
Old 04-25-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nevermore
Just subscribe I wil keep the thread updated....do you have the same mods?
Was your graph all jaggedy like his? Do you know your AF ratio through the dyno run?

Also what about altitude correction? Without SAE compensation I wouldn't be shocked if my car puts down about 130-140hp at the wheels just because of my altitude and thin air. That can make a huge difference too.
Here is the altitude in which I was at. Elevation 896FT 273M
Old 04-25-2009, 08:36 PM

Dang. Thats not right.. Maybe signs your MAF is going out soon?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM
BARF

There is four things this might be.

Coilpacks

MAF

Clutch

Raising the timing up with out upping the fuel pressure. That cant be it though because the timing advance isnt a mod its BS. LMAO I laugh so hard everytime I read it. Talk to any sertified nissan tech and they will tell you its a good way to take your money. The car auto adjusts its timing when you drive it. If you change the timing it will readjust itself about 5-10 miles down te road back to stock specs. The only way to change it for good is by getting a new ecu that you program yourself. You all can arguee me if you want but your wrong. Please dont be butt hurt over this its just not possible, go ask a professional.

By the earthquake meter of a dyno sheet your throwing there I would say the clutch. Mine looks the same because the nitrous ate my exedy alive. When was the last time you replaced your clutch and have you ever replaced the coilpacks or MAF? Also I would check the nissan service bulletins for anything related to your issue.

Last edited by Revs2Hard; 04-25-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ahmad_1290
Dang. Thats not right.. Maybe signs your MAF is going out soon?
Nope not right lol....i will have to check the maf...
Originally Posted by Revs2Hard

Coilpacks

MAF

Clutch

Raising the timing up with out upping the fuel pressure. That cant be it though because the timing advance isnt a mod its BS. LMAO I laugh so hard everytime I read it. Talk to any sertified nissan tech and they will tell you its a good way to take your money. The car auto adjusts its timing when you drive it. If you change the timing it will readjust itself about 5-10 miles down te road back to stock specs. The only way to change it for good is by getting a new ecu that you program yourself. You all can arguee me if you want but your wrong. Please dont be butt hurt over this its just not possible, go ask a professional.

By the earthquake meter of a dyno sheet your throwing there I would say the clutch. Mine looks the same because the nitrous ate my exedy alive. When was the last time you replaced your clutch and have you ever replaced the coilpacks or MAF? Also I would check the nissan service bulletins for anything related to your issue.
I'm an auto.....the dynos were from 55-80 in second gear....I did replace one coil....should replace all of them and injectors maybe.....and the timing stuck, because i had it checked again and its 17, but it looks like the ecu retards it while driving....

I had a "certified" nissan tech do this for 10 bucks....i dont think he was in it to make money.....10 bucks...lol

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 04-26-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Coilpacks

MAF

Clutch

No it won't.

Once one bumps up base timing using Consult 2, the only way to retard it is to use Consult 2. My base timing is at 712 (exactly where it was set 2 months ago).

Also keep in mind this is only for base timing. Nothing is changed at WOT.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 PM
I love lamp.

I would be more incline to say something is up with vacuum just because you've had changes done with the IM (spacers and VIAS block plate). That likely is what is causing the lean issue. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some knocking going on and the car is pulling timing on you. A good test is to take some carb cleaner, and spray the mating surfaces as any components on the intake after the MAF. If you get a change in idle, you found the leak.

revs2hard: What is this 'sertified' tech you speak of?

S

Last edited by maximase86; 04-26-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
VQ35 FTW

Coilpacks

MAF

Clutch

You should spend more time reading and learning facts than posting incorrect ones. Also, your stupid conversations in the middle of your posts are not necessary and make you sound like an idiot.

I agree with maximase86, I have had some lean issues just like yours that were caused by vacuum leaks. I was in the 14-15 AFR range as well.

Last edited by mastercater7; 04-26-2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
I would be more incline to say something is up with vacuum just because you've had changes done with the IM (spacers and VIAS block plate). That likely is what is causing the lean issue. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some knocking going on and the car is pulling timing on you. A good test is to take some carb cleaner, and spray the mating surfaces as any components on the intake after the MAF. If you get a change in idle, you found the leak.

revs2hard: What is this 'sertified' tech you speak of?
S
If you would, could you explain a little more about that test? I get it, however whats this mating surfaces?

Again thanks for everyones replies keep em coming...I should be able to do a couple things in the morning.

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 04-26-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 AM
VQ35 FTW

Mating surfaces as in where the LIM and UIM bolt together or where the throttle body bolts onto the UIM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 AM
I love lamp.

If you would, could you explain a little more about that test? I get it, however whats this mating surfaces?

Again thanks for everyones replies keep em coming...I should be able to do a couple things in the morning.
Any place that has a gasket and is involved with the IM essentially. So look at the gasket around UIM and LIM, the VIAS blank plate, the elbow of the IM, and the TB. Also check around the intake mid-pipe between the TB and the MAF, as well as any tubes that run off the mid-pipe. Lots of places to have a leak.

S
Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Any place that has a gasket and is involved with the IM essentially. So look at the gasket around UIM and LIM, the VIAS blank plate, the elbow of the IM, and the TB. Also check around the intake mid-pipe between the TB and the MAF, as well as any tubes that run off the mid-pipe. Lots of places to have a leak.

S
So just spray those areas with injector cleaner and if the idle bogs down, then I will find where air is getting sucked in? Makes sense to me! Kind of like the propane torch idea...in this post below....

Last edited by Stormzusmc; 04-26-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I geuss we've ruled out the rear brakes First thing I did after seeing this graph was glanced in the top right corner, once I saw that smoothing was indeed on and set to 5 I said "Oh yeah, there's definitly a problem".

Are your fuel-rails bolted down? lol.

**** all the propane-smoke-carb cleaner bs, me personally I've never had good results with any of those methods. Do a boost leak test! (You don't need to be boosted for this) Get a 3" expandable plug from home depot, they are made for testing plumbing drains. Use it to plug your throttle body. Than route some compressed sjop air into a vacuum line, you will probably need a blowgun with a fine tip (that's what I use anyways) Because you need a way to meter the air. Then put a boost gauge somewhere in line or in the system. Pressurise the intake with 10lb's, have some soapy water on hand, or better yet- tech-foam, a product sold at RV places for detecting leaks in propane systems, it foams up like crazy in the presence of a leak.

I realize this can get semi expensive if you don't have some of the supplies, but it's my .02c's, it works way better than any other method out there.

I wouldn't be suprised if it is something else though, just doesn't seem like a vacuum problem to me, those tend to cause some idle issues and p0300's. I would first suspect plugs, compression, maf, coils. But remember to keep it simple. Insect that places work real close, check the fuel supply line carefully, and di you have a rear valve cover done at the same time? If you had the rear valve cover done- follow the wire for the bank 1 cam sensor (firewall side, cam sensor = on cylinder head = neon green plug) And make sure it didn't get pinched under the valve cover way at the back where you can't see. If you have to, pull **** apart, it's not that hard! Visual inspection is one of the ways most problems are found, and that doesn't always mean just looking at things, you've got to poke, prod, and listen, and sometimes pull **** apart to investigate further.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:36 AM

Lol sure did....I knew something was up....for a while there though I thought it was in my head....ol' Maxima is staying in the garage now until i can figure out whats wrong....gotta drive the escape 24/7 now lol....

anyway....before I try all that stuff you just listed I will give the quick and easy methods a shot....I do seriously think though there may be something wrong with my injectors because I had to get my spacers redone by the shop that did them....
Old 04-26-2009, 05:47 AM

Why did you dyno is 2nd gear? 3rd gear would have been more appropriate for an auto.
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/200...ifications.htm
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 AM

The worst run I had thats not even on there was in 3rd gear.....They did a total of 4 pulls (hence the runfile names)
Old 04-26-2009, 05:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Lol sure did....I knew something was up....for a while there though I thought it was in my head....ol' Maxima is staying in the garage now until i can figure out whats wrong....gotta drive the escape 24/7 now lol....

anyway....before I try all that stuff you just listed I will give the quick and easy methods a shot....I do seriously think though there may be something wrong with my injectors because I had to get my spacers redone by the shop that did them....

I should have mentioned the much easier method that I always use first: Take the end off of an automotive stethescope, or any stethescope really, and run it around all of the surfaces, it works really good, better then the propane crap.

As for the injectors, you can take the upper off, invert the rail, (You have to unplug the injectors and re-plug them in differently (ie front connectors into back injectors) and then crank the car over while whatching the spray pattern. This works bomb! But use common sense here, you are spraying highly atomized fuel everywhere.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
I should have mentioned the much easier method that I always use first: Take the end off of an automotive stethescope, or any stethescope really, and run it around all of the surfaces, it works really good, better then the propane crap.

As for the injectors, you can take the upper off, invert the rail, (You have to unplug the injectors and re-plug them in differently (ie front connectors into back injectors) and then crank the car over while whatching the spray pattern. This works bomb! But use common sense here, you are spraying highly atomized fuel everywhere.
Hmmm elaborate on the stethoscope would you?

I may have a shop replace the injectors or at least look at them to see...I'm more of an electrical guru lol
Old 04-26-2009, 06:37 AM

Just subscribe I wil keep the thread updated....do you have the same mods?

Here is the altitude in which I was at. Elevation 896FT 273M

nah all i have is a greddy evo2 exhaust but when I got the car dynoed that was before I had the exhaust and was completely stock, im pretty much at sealevel so altitude shouldnt be a problem here.

my dyno was all jaggity like yours but I tossed the sheet out cuz I was so dissapointed lol. they didnt show or tell me what my A/F is though.....i blame it on the dyno that thing was 3 years younger than god looking! lol
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

But wouldn't bad injector(s) cause a MIL, i.e. cylinder misfire? I think we may be overlooking something.
To the OP, when did your Max start lagging? Was it after the spacers were installed? If it was, then your problem is with the install.
If not, then check the obvious 1st. You have an 02 with possibly the old style air flow meter. There is a TSB on this problem.
Also, according to your sig, you have "custom exhaust" What exactly do you mean by that? Any restriction in flow? Any cats present?

Again, ask yourself, "When did this problem start?"
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine yet to see what it is reading? Low reading at idle (under 20 pounds or so) would indicate a vacuum leak. If you slowly rev the engine and the vacuum starts to drop, that would suggest an exhaust restriction.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:32 PM

Man I feel ya pain dogg.. keep us updated.. I'm kinda in the same boat
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
But wouldn't bad injector(s) cause a MIL, i.e. cylinder misfire? I think we may be overlooking something.
To the OP, when did your Max start lagging? Was it after the spacers were installed? If it was, then your problem is with the install.
If not, then check the obvious 1st. You have an 02 with possibly the old style air flow meter. There is a TSB on this problem.
Also, according to your sig, you have "custom exhaust" What exactly do you mean by that? Any restriction in flow? Any cats present?

Again, ask yourself, "When did this problem start?"
Well I didnt get any codes when my spacers were installed and the start up bog happened. Once I talked to Aaron about what was going on he informed me that I should have them reinstalled, well so I did and they used too much RTV on the spacers which caused the slow startup.

To be honest I can't really remember when I started to question the lag in the car (which doesnt help I know ).

My exhaust is simply custom 2.5 in stainless mandrel bent from the catalytic to the rear w/ a high flow resonator and muffler delete....I noticed a power increase after I got it, however again I don't remember when it started to lag, because I wasn't as in tune with the way my car performed or acted until I started to read a lot more.

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine yet to see what it is reading? Low reading at idle (under 20 pounds or so) would indicate a vacuum leak. If you slowly rev the engine and the vacuum starts to drop, that would suggest an exhaust restriction.
No, I haven't, I don't have a vacuum gauge and I'm sure I could rent out though...I will look into that, but it probably wont be until next weekend. No time today or during the week

Originally Posted by BLACKKILA.GTR
Man I feel ya pain dogg.. keep us updated.. I'm kinda in the same boat
Werd son I will yo

Quick Reply: 5.5 Gen dyno FAIL!