5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

hole in the exhause or .........

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:26 PM

hole in the exhause or .........

lately my car's exhaust makes a deep sound. it sounds great but before it was wicked quiet, so i think there might be a hole in the exhaust, but the car is too low to get underneath and check and i have no money at the time so how long can i run like that, and what is a decent exhaust system i can get for cheap are the ebay ones any good?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Got Retrofit?

Yeah sounds like you got a leak somewhere under there. When the car is on, cover the muffler tip with a rag to sort of clog it. If you hear air still escaping, then its definitely a leak. You can drive forever like that, but personally I wouldn't.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM

yup there's a leak. its between the muffler and the bit barall thing that is after the cat converter. i have to wait till end of summer to gather up some cash so will i be able to run that long and what can go wrong if i ran like that
thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by imported_D_Roc
yup there's a leak. its between the muffler and the bit barall thing that is after the cat converter. i have to wait till end of summer to gather up some cash so will i be able to run that long and what can go wrong if i ran like that
So you have a leak in the b-pipe? The car will run until then, but your losing performance and probably MPG also. Those are the only things that can go wrong.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 AM

is it leaking at the flange for the muffler and b-pipe? I guess thats common, there should be a hanger at that flange or something.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM

the leak is from one of the welded connectors by the rear axel. its between the b pipe and the muffle and its a big hod thing is rusted tot he core.

I'm on a budget so any one know of a decent catback system i need to replace the whole thing from the headers (the headers are fine so y pipe onwards), so far i looked at the megan catback they look nice and well i heard both good and bad about it, but is there any thing cheaper and good
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 PM

the leak is from one of the welded connectors by the rear axel. its between the b pipe and the muffle and its a big hod thing is rusted tot he core.

I'm on a budget so any one know of a decent catback system i need to replace the whole thing from the headers (the headers are fine so y pipe onwards), so far i looked at the megan catback they look nice and well i heard both good and bad about it, but is there any thing cheaper and good
Awhile back my exhaust rusted out at the same flange. It actually broke off the end of the B-pipe. At the time I was strapped for cash also so I bought a Magnaflow rear section and had an exhaust shop weld the rear section directly to the b-pipe. Think I paid $100 for the exhaust and only $60 for the labor. Definitely the way to go if you don't have the cash right away.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you can tell which side of the flange connection is leaking, you may only have to replace the b-pipe or the muffler. I would be willing to bet its the muffler side meaning you would just need a new muffler. Mine started leaking there last winter when I hit a pothole, then within a week or 2 the muffler was completely separated.

I replaced mine with OEM because I have a connection at the stealership. If you are strapped for cash, i hear bosal is a decent replacement for the money.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
If you can tell which side of the flange connection is leaking, you may only have to replace the b-pipe or the muffler. I would be willing to bet its the muffler side meaning you would just need a new muffler. Mine started leaking there last winter when I hit a pothole, then within a week or 2 the muffler was completely separated.

I replaced mine with OEM because I have a connection at the stealership. If you are strapped for cash, i hear bosal is a decent replacement for the money.
I ended up only having to replace the muffler. The flange was leaking, but on the muffler side, so I lucked out. I also had an OEM replacement put on.