5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman 3" catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:22 PM

i think this is his car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9e-GkJI8g
Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 PM
I R The Law

Nobody is interested?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 AM

Are we still waiting for about 4 more orders, where do we stand currently?
Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MIK3
Are we still waiting for about 4 more orders, where do we stand currently?
We'll be one order less once I figure out where to put my name. I'll take the resonated version, assuming the resonator is easy to remove once I order the turbo.

I spoke to Brian last week and got the backorder in. He said even with the turbo a resonator won't restrict the flow. So that's what I have on order...I hope we get enough orders soon I'm anxious.

Last edited by maxurlife; 03-28-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
I R The Law

We need 7 confirmed orders and there are only maybe 4. If you do want one, call cattman and have him place you on the order list. Come on lets get this done!!!! No money down till the part is in hand. We need 7 back orders. Give brian a call at 1-800-759-9920

Last edited by The Law; 03-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:11 PM

My birthday on the 29th. Let's see how much money I recieve, and if enough, consider my name to be on the list. All we'll need is two more from there.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is this the 2.5" set up that you're talking about? Haven't heard many complain about the noise...which is why I ask.
Yes. It is the 2.5" exhaust. However, it was more an observation than a complaint as the performance gains make up for the increase in noise.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:45 PM
6spd Swapped

I'd be down but it depends on the design of the muffler, is a a typical can design or is it gonna be a dual tip muffler like the regular cattman exhausts?
Old 03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by Max0224
I'd be down but it depends on the design of the muffler, is a a typical can design or is it gonna be a dual tip muffler like the regular cattman exhausts?
Dual tip. They are using the same tip they have now on the 2.5" cattman exhaust.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Correct.

That said, the 3" muffler should look pretty much like our 2.5" muffler. There's no bottleneck at the tips (each tip is about 3"), so there's no reason to change anything about the muffler except the diameter of the tubing going into and through it."

Pics and specs of your 6spd Max0224, PM, looks clean.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM
No more Maximas...

These have all been posted before, but for the search impaired:

Old 03-25-2009, 07:26 PM

There's no bottleneck on the 2.5" muffler assy either. I would've liked Cattman to have a 2.5" inlet and split into (2) 2" outlets about half way thru the body then exit thru (2) 2.5" tips or 3" tips this would increase low speed tractability, and throttle response, and less drone at 2000-2600 rpm
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

Good ole' Merlyn and his BALD *** tires...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Weeble1
Good ole' Merlyn and his BALD *** tires...
Heh actually those were mine, the pictures were taken after I did this:

Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

Originally Posted by pmohr
Heh actually those were mine, the pictures were taken after I did this:

haha, Gangster. Was that when he tried to sand/polish his headlight?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Weeble1
haha, Gangster. Was that when he tried to sand/polish his headlight?
No, at that point we had pulled the bumper off to make doing the trans work easier, less body panels to worry about.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

got ya. especially when you had it out as many times as you guys did. YGPM
Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 PM

BUMP

Thread shall not die.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:57 PM
I R The Law

BUMP

Thread shall not die.
Thank you!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 AM

It seems the tip sticks out of the bumper slightly more then the 2.5 no? kinda ricey no? either way I think it sounds badass, its more comparable to a 350z exhaust.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
It seems the tip sticks out of the bumper slightly more then the 2.5 no? kinda ricey no? either way I think it sounds badass, its more comparable to a 350z exhaust.
It doesn't stick out all that far. I wouldn't call it 'ricey' by any means, but that's all personal opinion. Mind you this is also well before we had it completely adjusted correctly.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM

that doesn't look to bad, is he gonna be making this for the altima as well, because I know brian had made an exhaust for the 3.5 altima's, was this posted on NYC as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:43 AM

Highly doubtful with it having taken almost 2 years for this 3" prototype to make it into production.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:30 PM

Highly doubtful with it having taken almost 2 years for this 3" prototype to make it into production.
that is true, at least this makes the car a little louder, now its more equivalent to a 350z exhaust.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:35 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by STILLENGLE
You have to be kidding me.......
Old 04-14-2009, 04:33 PM

My birthday on the 29th. Let's see how much money I recieve, and if enough, consider my name to be on the list. All we'll need is two more from there.

Any luck with the birthday dough? How many orders are left on this deal I know I know - patience grasshopper.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM

interested..but not till prob fall
Old 04-14-2009, 05:24 PM
The Whistle go WOOOOO

I could be very interested depending on how this motor build goes and how much I end up spending...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM

yea whatever happened with this.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Sorry to sound Irritated but daaang...

First - I've noticed a lot of side chatter on this thread of Put your name on the list if you want to order this product. A lot of the questions were good, Estimated gains, the look, noise level - but some posts - eh not so relevant to the topic.

OK this is what I understand...
Gains are worth the price. Modified exhaust is always loud; 3" will be louder. If you want to use FI on your ride, get the larger exhaust, You'll need it. Also it won't matter if it's resonated or not with FI, his resonator isn't that restrictive. However NA you definately want a resonator otherwise you'll go bananas (according to Brian). No, Cattman Perfromance hasn't actually done the Dyno - he's allowing word of mouth to do the advertising for this part, not sure why - but that's his call. The cost is $659.99 + shipping w/out resonator...$739.99+ shipping w/Resonator. -----You know you want in-----

If I counted right, out of over 60 posts only 4 have said yes - make sure brian has your order information (www.cattmanperformance.com). If you would like this part go ahead and call Brian and get your order in and let us know -I get excited to know I'm one person closer to getting my part.

Also in the original post it was noted that Brian had 3 orders already so with our 4 that makes 7 (isn't math wonderful???) So I think that means maybe Brian has gotten or will soon get this under production. If everyone who placed a b/o doesn't mind then maybe The Law, or myself, can contact Cattman to ensure production has started or how close we currently are. This way he isn't inundated by the same question.

FWIW - I had a custom 3" quoted and it was gonna cost about $1k installed. The difference, as I understand it, is that most custom work is going to be welded. While that's not all bad,1- you never know the quality of work the welder is giving you. 2- you now have a one piece exhaust system that is going to take far more work to get back to stock than a bolt on system.

Thank you to everyone who posted the helpful information and the links to so we were able to get an idea of the look sound and performance. Keep those kinds of posts coming.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:08 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by maxurlife
FWIW - I had a custom 3" quoted and it was gonna cost about $1k installed. The difference, as I understand it, is that most custom work is going to be welded. While that's not all bad,1- you never know the quality of work the welder is giving you. 2- you now have a one piece exhaust system that is going to take far more work to get back to stock than a bolt on system.
Err...what? You don't think that Brian's 3" is going to have any welds?
Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 AM

Err...what? You don't think that Brian's 3" is going to have any welds?

Oh, no. That's not what I'm saying. Our stock exhaust is three pieces bolted together. It's my understanding that this unit replicates that, but using 3" tubing. I'm not 100% but my understanding is that a custom shop has a tendency to weld the tubes together creating a one piece assembly that would have to be cut for repair or removal, as opposed to welding flanges that allow you to bolt your system like stock assembly. I could be wrong - this is my first system but that is how I understood the explanations I've gotten from asking around. The best person to ask on this would be Brian or your local exhaust shop to find out how they do it.

I didn't mean to frustrate you guys or sound rude. I Just wanted to get this thread back on the track of who placed the order with Cattman. This way those who have placed an order can get an idea of if we should move in another direction or if our parts will start production soon.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
No more Maximas...

Oh, no. That's not what I'm saying. Our stock exhaust is three pieces bolted together. It's my understanding that this unit replicates that, but using 3" tubing. I'm not 100% but my understanding is that a custom shop has a tendency to weld the tubes together creating a one piece assembly that would have to be cut for repair or removal, as opposed to welding flanges that allow you to bolt your system like stock assembly. I could be wrong - this is my first system but that is how I understood the explanations I've gotten from asking around. The best person to ask on this would be Brian or your local exhaust shop to find out how they do it.
Ah, I see.

Generally, if you get it done at an exhaust shop, you're looking at crush bent and one piece. If you get it done at a performance shop you'll most likely get flanges and if they have a mandrel bender, those as well.

Otherwise, you could always specify that the shop puts flanges in, but it'll cost you extra.

And Brian's 3" (at least the proto) had the stock flange locations along with a slip joint above the rear beam.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Ah, I see.

Generally, if you get it done at an exhaust shop, you're looking at crush bent and one piece. If you get it done at a performance shop you'll most likely get flanges and if they have a mandrel bender, those as well.

Otherwise, you could always specify that the shop puts flanges in, but it'll cost you extra.

And Brian's 3" (at least the proto) had the stock flange locations along with a slip joint above the rear beam.

whew - good, I thought I was ALL jacked up there for a minute....I'm sure a LOT of guys will appreciate knowing where they can get the best option. That extra bit of explanation helps - thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:38 PM

Modified exhaust is always loud; 3" will be louder
not necessarily.. large resonators and mufflers go a long way in reducing noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cshg_4dZ_FA

FWIW - I had a custom 3" quoted and it was gonna cost about $1k installed.
what!? that price is insane... even if i went all stainless steel, my total cost for parts and labor would have been about half that

The shop i went to had a mandrel machine, but i still ended up getting crush bends

Last edited by wyche89; 04-19-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:16 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by wyche89
The shop i went to had a mandrel machine, but i still ended up getting crush bends
Did you ask for mandrel?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Did you ask for mandrel?
i said "you do mandrel bends right?" and he said "yeah" i assumed the he would give me mandrel based off of that.. not to mention the big @$$ banner outside that said says "mandrel bending" i mean he said it was a pain in the *** to do afterwards, so maybe he had to do crush bends.. but if that's the case, then tell the customer.. don't just give crush bends when you're advertising mandrel bends.. he probably sensed that i didn't know that much about aftermarket exhaust work, which i didn't.. lol.. i thought i had mandrel until i posted pics on here and people said they were crush

Last edited by wyche89; 04-19-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
I R The Law

First - I've noticed a lot of side chatter on this thread of Put your name on the list if you want to order this product. A lot of the questions were good, Estimated gains, the look, noise level - but some posts - eh not so relevant to the topic.

OK this is what I understand...
Gains are worth the price. Modified exhaust is always loud; 3" will be louder. If you want to use FI on your ride, get the larger exhaust, You'll need it. Also it won't matter if it's resonated or not with FI, his resonator isn't that restrictive. However NA you definately want a resonator otherwise you'll go bananas (according to Brian). No, Cattman Perfromance hasn't actually done the Dyno - he's allowing word of mouth to do the advertising for this part, not sure why - but that's his call. The cost is $659.99 + shipping w/out resonator...$739.99+ shipping w/Resonator. -----You know you want in-----

If I counted right, out of over 60 posts only 4 have said yes - make sure brian has your order information (www.cattmanperformance.com). If you would like this part go ahead and call Brian and get your order in and let us know -I get excited to know I'm one person closer to getting my part.

Also in the original post it was noted that Brian had 3 orders already so with our 4 that makes 7 (isn't math wonderful???) So I think that means maybe Brian has gotten or will soon get this under production. If everyone who placed a b/o doesn't mind then maybe The Law, or myself, can contact Cattman to ensure production has started or how close we currently are. This way he isn't inundated by the same question.

Thank you to everyone who posted the helpful information and the links to so we were able to get an idea of the look sound and performance. Keep those kinds of posts coming.
Man, there are so many fake owners are this forum. They say they are interested but don't jump on the build of a part. And some that say they are willing to buy it but when you put them on the spot they flake......Sometimes I just wonder why they call themselves enthusiasts when they really aren't.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by The Law
Man, there are so many fake owners are this forum. They say they are interested but don't jump on the build of a part. And some that say they are willing to buy it but when you put them on the spot they flake......Sometimes I just wonder why they call themselves enthusiasts when they really aren't.
I'm not sure they are necessarily fake more so than they are financially restricted. I think any interest, regardless of degree, is cool. I am currently in the process of arranging to get my headers/y-pipe installed. From there, I plan on jumping on this list. The level of enthusiasm should not be measured monetarily though, just thought I'd throw that out.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Law

Yeah I know what you mean about the putting your money where your mouth is. MIK3 also has a point sometimes the members are just broke (been there, done that, got the t-shirt {it said STILLEN})

We just need to make sure we don't clutter a thread trying to make something happen with too much junk. I'm waiting for confirmation but I think Cattman is in need of 1-2 more orders. From there production is approximately 30 days then delivery time.

HEY - Maybe someone hasn't read this thread and they are placing a backorder right now. KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!!

Quick Reply: Cattman 3" catback