5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02-03 motor mount how-to??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 09:56 AM

02-03 motor mount how-to??

There is a write up in the How-To section but the link is still bad. Anyone have a write up on this?

Last edited by Klutch; 02-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There are four mounts on the motor, front and rear, left and right. I assume you are only replacing the front and rear, so even if you drop the crossmember with the front and rear mounts, the motor will be held up by the side two. You don't need anything supporting it. If you want to be extra safe, use an extra jack under it.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ount-swap.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...placement.html

http://www.digitalpolo.com/2002Maxim...n/MotorMounts/

Here's a rough writeup:
  1. Jack up car and support on stands
  2. Unbolt the bolts that go through the front and rear motor mount inserts
  3. Unbolt crossmember, making sure you are ready for it to come down so you don't drop it on your face
  4. Remove motor mount brackets from crossmember
  5. Find a shop with a machine press to press out old inserts, or torch out the old inserts and hammer out the metal sleeve
  6. Press new inserts in
  7. Reinstall motor mount brackets
  8. Reinstall crossmember
  9. Profit????

I think I got everything...

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 02-10-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM

http://www.energysuspension.com/pdf_instruc/17426.PDF
Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM

That write-up is true. I did it about 2 months ago, took me about 2 hours. I removed my old auto elec. mounts and installed front/back manual mounts. They bolt right up, are cheaper and stronger and drive just the same.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Toolie

Just watch out for the liquid if you use the torch. My mechanic burned himself when the "oil" heated up and exploded all over the place when the rubber melted through
Old 02-12-2009, 05:39 AM

im glad i payed someone to do it, after watching them, it was a PITA. as knight said, if you use a torch, beware of the liquid..
Old 02-12-2009, 05:45 AM

Yeah, I had no issues with the liquid because we just baked the motor mounts in an old coal furnace for two hours until the rubber all melted away.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:52 PM

What are the DIY'ers using to press in the new mounts?

I bought mounts last summer and have not gotten them in. The mounts are getting really bad. Thoughts are to use a bench vice and some lube to get them in.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by sc0tty8
What are the DIY'ers using to press in the new mounts?

I bought mounts last summer and have not gotten them in. The mounts are getting really bad. Thoughts are to use a bench vice and some lube to get them in.
I don't think ES wants you to use any lube with their mounts, I had them pressed in at a local machine shop for 10 bucks took them like 10 min. and boom bam done, i used a pneumatic chisel to break the thin metal ring surrounding the rubber, then just tapped them out with a hammer
Old 09-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Toolie

I've done 4 sets for local guys, a tiny bit of grease is better than nothing, they tend to want to tear a little if the mount is bone dry
Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 AM

I have read that you need to use manual motor mounts for this job. I have an auto and would rather not have to source manual mounts at the junk yard. ES's web page doesn't mention that the mounts are manual specific. Does anyone know why I couldn't use auto mounts?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ckent512
I have read that you need to use manual motor mounts for this job. I have an auto and would rather not have to source manual mounts at the junk yard. ES's web page doesn't mention that the mounts are manual specific. Does anyone know why I couldn't use auto mounts?
I might be misinterpreting this whole thing about engine mounts but, from what I understand, the electronic mounts used in cars with Auto Transmission are bigger than the ones in Manual transmission cars. The mount inserts sold by ES are only for MT so, if you are getting those, you will need to get mount brackets for MT cars (usually from junk yards). Otherwise your ES inserts will be freely sliding inside you AT mount brackets. Depending on how much you will end up spending all together, you might want to consider if it makes more $en$e to replace your electronic mounts with electronic ones.

Edit: I should note that I'm referring to differences on the front and rear mounts between AT and MT cars. If I'm not mistaken, right and left mounts are all the same.

Last edited by Nelsito65; 09-27-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM

get mounts from a part out car, 96-03 front mounts are all the same and wont cost you more than 20-40 shipped
Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 PM

The ES mounts are inserts only, and they only insert into the man mount. If you replace the at mount to a oem mt mount, that will bolt up no problom. I did it myself, and the new oem mt mount was like 90.00 each from the dealer. Unless you really want the ES inserts, this is a great way to go.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 PM

My Max is AT and is one of the install that was done by knight_yyz, this is pic of the cross member that knight picked up and fashioned an insert for the front larger mount so the ES bushing could be pressed in.

He replaced both the front and rear with ES bushings and all the sub bushings

He picked up for me a full cross member with the mounts, and did all the prep work on it, removing the old bushing pressing in the custom fitted insert and then pressing in the new ES bushings, jacked up my car dropped down my cross member and installed the replacement ... and mine became the cross member to be re-fitted for the next guy.

My engine sits in like a rock now under full load and all the power is now sent straight to the wheel and ground, no more wheel hop ... this for me was one of the best performance mod and was done with great craftsmanship by knight_yyz
Old 12-15-2009, 05:29 AM

Can someone clarify as to what I need?
I have a 2002 max auto:

1) If I want to replace my mounts (radiator side and rear) do I also need the manual trans cross member or just the manual mounts?

2) Since my car is auto and has the electronic mounts, what happens to that electrical plug if I use manual mounts?

3)I can use any mount from a 96-03 for the front on my car either auto or manual?

4)As for the rear mount I need to stick to 02-03?

5)btw, I was told I need the mount behind the radiator and the mount by the firewall, is that what this thread is about or am I lost? (I do not know which are left and right side mounts)

thanks..........

Last edited by 02_Maxima_6sd; 12-15-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:43 PM

First you need to know are both front and back mounts elec.? Both of mine were, but I have herd that on some cars only 1 is. What do you want to do? Install ES mounts or oem? I think most of use just chaged the frt/bk mounts only. I unplugged both of mine, and there just hanging there with no problom, but I have read that some people have claimed it caused a problom. You are "02 Maxima 6sp" but you have a auto?
Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 AM

I use to own a 2002 6sd then sold it and bought an Auto 2002, so I kept the login name. I was told I need the mount behind the radiator and the mount by the firewall, but am not sure if this thread pertains to what I need. I see people state left and right mounts but am confused which left/right is their perspective. I was not aware that they were electric mounts until reading up on it from a few threads. I would like to go with the ES inserts.
The mount facing the right tire is brand new (where the belts and pulleys are) is that considered right to left?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by 02_Maxima_6sd
I use to own a 2002 6sd then sold it and bought an Auto 2002, so I kept the login name. I was told I need the mount behind the radiator and the mount by the firewall, but am not sure if this thread pertains to what I need. I see people state left and right mounts but am confused which left/right is their perspective. I was not aware that they were electric mounts until reading up on it from a few threads. I would like to go with the ES inserts.
The mount facing the right tire is brand new (where the belts and pulleys are) is that considered right to left?
The FSM labels the engine mounts according to their locations around the engine, using the vehicle as a point of reference, as if you were sitting in the driver's seat; Right Hand mount is the one located by the right tire, Left Hand mount is the one by the left tire, Front mount is the one by the radiator and rear mount is the one by the firewall. The last two, front and rear, are the ones that are electronic in automatic transmission vehicles. The mount inserts in manual transmission cars are smaller than the automatic ones, so the brackets that hold those mounts are different. If you want to replace those electronic mounts with manual inserts, then you will need to get the manual mount brackets.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM

Perfect, thanks for clearing things up......one more thing.
I can use the mounts from a manual transmission from 95-2003, correct?
Old 12-17-2009, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 02_Maxima_6sd
Perfect, thanks for clearing things up......one more thing.
I can use the mounts from a manual transmission from 95-2003, correct?
i'm wondering the same thing. if its possible to use a m/t front mount from 95-03.. i was looking at part numbers for the mounts and i found 2 different part numbers.. 11270-40U03 and 11270-40U00.. 2 different part numbers but are the parts the same?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM

I've seen in other threads, and this one as well (see post #13) that the manual mounts from 96-2003 (not 95-2003) are all the same.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 PM

Weird that it would not include 1995 since that is the same body style......
Old 01-03-2010, 11:11 AM

where can i get that es bushing
Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
There are four mounts on the motor, front and rear, left and right. I assume you are only replacing the front and rear, so even if you drop the crossmember with the front and rear mounts, the motor will be held up by the side two. You don't need anything supporting it. If you want to be extra safe, use an extra jack under it.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ount-swap.html

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...placement.html

http://www.digitalpolo.com/2002Maxim...n/MotorMounts/

Here's a rough writeup:
  1. Jack up car and support on stands
  2. Unbolt the bolts that go through the front and rear motor mount inserts
  3. Unbolt crossmember, making sure you are ready for it to come down so you don't drop it on your face
  4. Remove motor mount brackets from crossmember
  5. Find a shop with a machine press to press out old inserts, or torch out the old inserts and hammer out the metal sleeve
  6. Press new inserts in
  7. Reinstall motor mount brackets
  8. Reinstall crossmember
  9. Profit????

I think I got everything...
QFT.

and subscribed.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
why do you assume that? is there a reason for only changing the front and rear? just curious, i need to do this soon.

B
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
why do you assume that? is there a reason for only changing the front and rear? just curious, i need to do this soon.

B
Because the tranny and passenger mounts rarely ever go bad. Most of the torque and stress is put to the front and rear mounts on the crossmember.

That's not to say they never go bad. It's just more likely that you will only need to replace the crossmember mounts...
Old 04-05-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Because the tranny and passenger mounts rarely ever go bad. Most of the torque and stress is put to the front and rear mounts on the crossmember.

That's not to say they never go bad. It's just more likely that you will only need to replace the crossmember mounts...
ok that makes sense.

would it even be worth changing the side mounts? would you notice a difference?

B
Old 04-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
ok that makes sense.

would it even be worth changing the side mounts? would you notice a difference?

B
It made a difference when I changed my passenger side mount. Some of the engine whine went away, along with a clunk I was getting evrytime I hit a small street bump or pothole. Also, a slight jerk I was feeling when the car changed gears is gone. Overall the car has a more solid feel.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nelsito65
It made a difference when I changed my passenger side mount. Some of the engine whine went away, along with a clunk I was getting evrytime I hit a small street bump or pothole. Also, a slight jerk I was feeling when the car changed gears is gone. Overall the car has a more solid feel.
my car is all over the place and i know a lot of it is due to suspension issues but im betting changing these would help.

104k+ miles on her its time to swap things out

B
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
My Max is AT and is one of the install that was done by knight_yyz, this is pic of the cross member that knight picked up and fashioned an insert for the front larger mount so the ES bushing could be pressed in.

He replaced both the front and rear with ES bushings and all the sub bushings

He picked up for me a full cross member with the mounts, and did all the prep work on it, removing the old bushing pressing in the custom fitted insert and then pressing in the new ES bushings, jacked up my car dropped down my cross member and installed the replacement ... and mine became the cross member to be re-fitted for the next guy.

My engine sits in like a rock now under full load and all the power is now sent straight to the wheel and ground, no more wheel hop ... this for me was one of the best performance mod and was done with great craftsmanship by knight_yyz
very nice detail. thanks ghost.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Cut in half and you don't have to press them in....
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Cut in half and you don't have to press them in....
Or grind off one of the lips.
Either way, it's captured by the mounting bracket.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i think i gotta do mine, they make these wierd noises....lmao
Old 01-15-2015, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Not true. The passenger-side mount fails quite often. When it does, it tends to produce a clunk when hitting bumps; people often mistake it for a suspension clunk.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reviving old thread, sorry.

I don't remember where I read it, but do the ES bushings have an offset (larger on one side)? They have to face left (towards the passenger)? If I replace the side mounts, which way must the offset go?
Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I m 95% certain the problem in my 2002 GLE with Auto is that it needs mounts, and I am looking over this thread and wondering how I know what kind of mounts I will need?

Is it for sure an electronic one because my car is auto? So I want to order manual mounts and the brackets too? I have a friend who can call to price parts, but he needs to know what I need. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by maximore
I m 95% certain the problem in my 2002 GLE with Auto is that it needs mounts, and I am looking over this thread and wondering how I know what kind of mounts I will need? Is it for sure an electronic one because my car is auto? So I want to order manual mounts and the brackets too? I have a friend who can call to price parts, but he needs to know what I need. Thanks in advance.
I have what you need. Oem manual mounts with es bushings already pressed in. I can sell them to you if you'd like pm me.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I need help with my 2000 maxima Se

I have a broken tail lights my brake lights work but my tail light doesn't what you think can be the problem? Also my dash board light stop working how can I fix the problems please help me not trying to get a ticket
Old 09-19-2016, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kvngjean
I have a broken tail lights my brake lights work but my tail light doesn't what you think can be the problem? Also my dash board light stop working how can I fix the problems please help me not trying to get a ticket
Well, for starters, you're posting in a 7 year old motor mount thread asking about tail lights.

But, I'll be nice. First, check fuses. 2nd, your dimmer switch on the dash may have failed.

Quick Reply: 02-03 motor mount how-to??