5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS Coilovers...Inputs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Tein SS Coilovers...Inputs!!!

Im thinking about gettin a set of Tein SS's for my 01 Max, does anyone have any input on how they ride and handle? Harsh, firm, soft? Hows is the reliability? Post some pics too if you can...thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 05:56 PM

You'll love them.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Turbo'd Saab

expensive but the best you can buy, next to the JIC's.

no pillow ball joints is key and FTW
Old 02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

best $1100 I ever spent. Ride is SO comfortable and the handling is probably the best you could get out of a 4 door sedan. I highly recommend these

do it is you have the $$$$ tein is da shiznit

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
You'll love them.
you got them on your car?? how low do you have them set??
Old 02-03-2009, 07:46 AM

COILOVERS ride NICE and smooth and I was pretty low.
You should go take a ride up to pbn85's place to go for a ride.
I drove all over Jersey/NYC and even some road trips to VA. They are stiff enough to not bottom out but still comfortable. like DaveVQ said, no pillowball mounts makes a world of difference in the ride quality
Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned

another tein ss owner here on a 5.5 gen. Nothing but thumbs up from me.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM

That's funny cause I've been wondering about the ss' also cause I had cosmo racing coilovers on my eagle talon and it was very harsh at 3". Let's just try to put this in perspective in terms of the comfort cause its probably also what BROOKS wants to know. PBN85 said "SO comfortable"... On a scale of 1 - 5 (compared to the stock ones), how much would you guys say?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM

im confused on how they can feel comfortable?
could someone elaborate on the pillow ball mounts ?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
im confused on how they can feel comfortable?
Not bottoming out all the time can go a long way.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:36 PM

Tein's are the shiz! I have had mine for about 7 months. The ride is comfortable even on 19's.

If you stick with 17 or 18 inch rims with quality tires the ride should be as comfortable as stock but with much better handling. With 19's they feel a bit more stiff but still very comfortable.

I have owned many maxima's and experienced many spring/strut combos and crappy coilovers(Ksports, d2's etc..). I got sick of dealing with crap suspension setups so took my chances on Teins and it turned out being one a the best mods I have ever done to the max.

Pic of the coilovers with the stock upper mounts:

Pic of it lowerd on 19's(could still go quite a bit lower also):
Old 02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

i am also on 19s. The ride is firm but not to the point where my back hurts
Old 02-03-2009, 04:09 PM

Plan on picking up some Tein Coilovers in the summer..... Ive heard nothing but good stuff about Tein
Old 02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
-Devi0uz-

i had them on my 02 max also...got the edfc module too....best ride i ever had...b4 i stepped into the jic world....but all in all i had the ss on my max for about 2 1/2 yr and i had no problems what so ever.......go for it......heres a pic of them on my max with still room to drop....
Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM

thats pretty fresh ^^^^
Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 AM

the teins are a great coilover, i had a hard time choosing between them and the jic's. im not sure what pushed me over the edge to get the jic's but i love them, im sure id like the teins just as much tho. the edfc would be a cool feature to have.

the ride on the jic's is very comforatbale as well if u set them soft. i think really any good coilover setup properly can be comfortable, i think its the cheap sleeve type coilovers that give all coilovers the bad rap.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 AM

dam so much coilovers to choose from bc,jic's and teins.....i heard all of them are good
Old 02-04-2009, 07:09 AM

Very good call guys! Now I'm absolutly gonna get me these babies. Any suggestions on where it would be better to order them from... And you guys never got any rateling noises since right?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:13 AM

IMO, the Teins ride AND handle better than any spring/strut combo I've had... Progress/Blues , Progress/Illuminas, and H-Tech/Illuminas. They have also zero noise issues thus far. Like someone else mentioned, the key is the use of the stock mounts, and not a pillowball type set up. Of course the pillowball type coilovers are probably better for handling, but for the average Maxima enthusiast, I think the Teins will more than suffice.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Banned

no noise issues with my tein ss.
Lots of places sell them but the latest ones are updated and have different collars. So try to find a place that has just got them in stock...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm sorry... but I'm not sure what u mean by stock "upper mounts" and "collars"?
By upper mounts and collars u mean "top plate" (the rotating upper part of the strut)?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by afrofranzy
I'm sorry... but I'm not sure what u mean by stock "upper mounts" and "collars"?
By upper mounts and collars u mean "top plate" (the rotating upper part of the strut)?
The top mounts are the pieces that hold the spring down on the strut with the three studs that are bolted to the strut tower. The Teins require that you use the OEM stock mounts while most other coilovers for this car come preassembled with their own mounts, usually pillowball mounts with camber plates.

I assume what he meant by collar is the locking collars beneath the springs that you use to adjust ride height, but I'll let him clarify that.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:01 PM

damn i was thinking about buyin k-sport coilovers too because you can adjust the damping on the k-sport but on the tein basics, you cant. i'm tired of spring strut combo, i cant get the combo right
Old 02-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by JAMAICANLOVRBOY
damn i was thinking about buyin k-sport coilovers too because you can adjust the damping on the k-sport but on the tein basics, you cant. i'm tired of spring strut combo, i cant get the combo right
That has nothing to do with this discussion - the Tein Super Streets is what the OP is asking about. Tein doesn't make Basics for the 5th Gens.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:31 PM

the teins are a good coilover, but if you want something a little cheaper but ride better and handle better go with bc racing coilovers. ive had the teins, k-sports, and many spring/strut set ups these by far blow all of them away. the only ones i think i would trade these for would be jics vip just cause of the hype and me just being curious. check out the bcs if you want better ride and handling and keep a little dough in your pocket.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by maximumobsesion
the teins are a good coilover, but if you want something a little cheaper but ride better and handle better go with bc racing coilovers. ive had the teins, k-sports, and many spring/strut set ups these by far blow all of them away. the only ones i think i would trade these for would be jics vip just cause of the hype and me just being curious. check out the bcs if you want better ride and handling and keep a little dough in your pocket.
The Boss chens were my first choice but were no longer avilable. I sent some pm's to Larrio before purchasing Teins and confirmed he would no longer be selling them. This could have changed in the recent months but I haven't read anything on the forums saying they were available again.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 PM

i was thinking about the BC's but im gettin a better deal on the Teins and i know the Teins have a better track record with the Maximas
Old 02-17-2009, 06:48 AM

Just for fun.... How much is that damping adj. module going for?
(It's my 15th post... an excuse to get it done lol sorry)
Old 02-17-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by GoldMember
The Boss chens were my first choice but were no longer avilable. I sent some pm's to Larrio before purchasing Teins and confirmed he would no longer be selling them. This could have changed in the recent months but I haven't read anything on the forums saying they were available again.
Just to clarify, the BC Racing coilovers he has are NOT Boss Chens by Larrio.

http://www.bcracing-na.com/index.html
Old 02-17-2009, 08:49 AM

damn 1250 msrp from bcracing? Is there a better place to buy them from? Also was looking at the Tein SS and best place to pick up a set. Also what's this edfc I'm hearing about? No additional add on for purchasing coilover set?
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy Toes
damn 1250 msrp from bcracing? Is there a better place to buy them from? Also was looking at the Tein SS and best place to pick up a set. Also what's this edfc I'm hearing about? No additional add on for purchasing coilover set?
That's just MSRP, you can get them for $900+ from various vendors online and over at my350z.com. If you use my350z, just make sure you get the correct application of course.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:43 AM

2 of my buddies got tein SS coilovers after sitting in my car...the ride is great and the handling is so tight!! It's the crap coilovers that give coilovers in general a bad rep. Tein SS, JIC's...can't go wrong with either. People say JICs are more comfy than tein SS...so if that's the case, then WOW. lol
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM

they have a group buy going for the bc racing on nycmaximas.com thats where i got mine from 915 shipped to me. ive had them for three months and i like them better than the tien ss as far as ride comfort go. dont get me wrong the teins were very nice the best i had until i went with the bcs.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:04 AM

they have a group buy going for the bc racing on nycmaximas.com thats where i got mine from 915 shipped to me. ive had them for three months and i like them better than the tien ss as far as ride comfort go. dont get me wrong the teins were very nice the best i had until i went with the bcs.
I'm surprised that coilovers with pillowballs ride better than ones reusing the stock mounts, but that's just based on the little I know of the mechanics involved.

What are the springs rates on your BC Racings and what rates did you have on the Teins?

This is just for the sake of discussion and so we can understand this better, I'm not refuting your claim or anything.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Banned

coilovers with pillowball upper mounts will not ride better. All they do is give you adjustment on camber and lots of noises.
And those upper mounts are all the same design from k-sport to d2 to bc and etc
Old 02-18-2009, 06:43 AM

ill check to see what they come with. i orderd them as they come the teins and the bcs. and spooled anytime you wanna ride let me know. they are better then the teins. my wife who has complained about every set up ive had (minus stock) actually enjoys riding in my car.

Last edited by maximumobsesion; 02-18-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Banned

ill check to see what they come with. i orderd them as they teins and the bcs. and spooled anytime you wanna ride let me know. they are better then the teins. my wife who has complained about every set up ive had (minus stock) actually enjoys riding in my car.
i been through k-sports and d2 coilovers as well as jic and tein ss. I stuck with tein because the ease of dealing with tein as well as the trouble free use 365 days a year...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:55 AM

TEINs are what you get for what you pay for. The best 'budget' coilovers that have great ride quality and great performance for everyday driving and will perform on a road course with the best of them.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 AM

$$$ -> JIC-magics ..... Big ouch lol. Think I'll stick with the Teins.

Quick Reply: Tein SS Coilovers...Inputs!!!