5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P1147...how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:28 PM

P1147...how to fix?

According to the sticky " P1147 - Heated Oxygen Sensor 2 Maximum Voltage Monitoring (Bank 1)". I was just wondering where I could get that parts and how easy is it to install. Also how much do these buggers usually run? thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 07:36 PM

anyone?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 PM

Reset the codes in the ECU and see if it comes back. Did you pressure wash under the hood lately? If so let it dry out for a week, reset the codes and if it comes back ask again. It may be the wiring and not the actual sensor. The sensors run between $40-100 depending on which make you want to throw your money at. You can replace it yourself, but you should download the FSM first.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's the secondary sensor on the firewall side. I think the only tricky thing might be running the wire from engine bay to the sensor bung in the y-pipe. Also, an O2 sensor socket or Liquid Wrench/PB Blaster might help if your old O2 sensor is seized, which they often are.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by maxed
Reset the codes in the ECU and see if it comes back. Did you pressure wash under the hood lately? If so let it dry out for a week, reset the codes and if it comes back ask again. It may be the wiring and not the actual sensor. The sensors run between $40-100 depending on which make you want to throw your money at. You can replace it yourself, but you should download the FSM first.
ive never pressure washed under the hood. it came on about a week ago and then I reset it. the other day i was coming home from a road trip and it came back on and thats when I had it read. Ive also been having crap gas mileage lately. between 14-19 mpg mixed city and highway driving. Im not sure if that has anything to do with a bad o2 or not. If it is the wiring that is the issues how much is that to fix?

also it seems like replacing the sensor might be too hard for me(I dont have a lift or anything to access the y pipe)
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 AM

I don't know how much a new wiring harness costs, but it usually is a matter of checking for a good ground and and verifying the connector in the engine bay wasn't damaged.

I would download the service manual (if you haven't already) and check out the troubleshooting section for P1147. There are some tests you can do without a Consult II, but if the code returned after clearing it, I would just take it in somewhere to get the sensor replaced. Try to use a place that will warranty the work for 90 days, just in case it is a more general electrical problem. Also check your engine ground wires by loosening them and tightening them back up again.

Last thought, if the fuel economy really sucks then you may have others issues that could also throw a P1147, such a bad injectors, fuel pump or leaks in the intake manifold. Replacing the HO2S shouldn't improve fuel economy much for normal driving conditions, but it may help during warming up the car.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:55 AM

this is more of a question about how much would labor cost.
the o2 isnt expensive as stated its about 40-120 bucks
the wireing...well wiring is never that expensive its just all about finding the right guy for the labor work is all.

anyway i know i didnt contribute much to the thread but i just think its good for peace of mind knowing that its not too expensive

gl with it...ps cant u get simulators im always hearing about them and i am about to try them out myself if my o2's ever go bad.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 AM

labor shouldn't be too expensive. try asking local small shops.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM

yup time to call around dude
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
That's the secondary sensor on the firewall side.
Depends on the car you have. On 5.5 gen it's there:
Old 01-26-2009, 03:00 PM

yes my car is a 5.5 gen. I found a link that said that this sensor is used to control air/fuel ratio which could be the reason why my mpgs are down. here is the link i found\
\
http://www.nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p1147.htm
Old 01-26-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the link. It also says, the sensor is not used under normal conditions (?..)
Old 01-26-2009, 03:37 PM

I believe that the multiple O2 sensors are used to monitor and control the fuel mix under different operating conditions. The one in question may only control the mix when the first sensor is in a specific state, for example, letting your foot off the gas after hard acceleration. The sensors have different timing and react to different conditions.

My 2k2 went through 4-5 O2 sensors in it's first couple of years (including that one). I never really noticed a difference in fuel economy. To the computer, a bad sensor reads lean, so you would imagine that it may try to richen the mix. Ya, that could use more fuel. If the problem is due to extra air leaking in or not enough fuel due to low fuel pressure or worse yet a few clogged injectors, then the whole system could be out of whack and that definitely could be noticeable at the pump.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by maxed
I believe that the multiple O2 sensors are used to monitor and control the fuel mix under different operating conditions. The one in question may only control the mix when the first sensor is in a specific state, for example, letting your foot off the gas after hard acceleration. The sensors have different timing and react to different conditions.

My 2k2 went through 4-5 O2 sensors in it's first couple of years (including that one). I never really noticed a difference in fuel economy. To the computer, a bad sensor reads lean, so you would imagine that it may try to richen the mix. Ya, that could use more fuel. If the problem is due to extra air leaking in or not enough fuel due to low fuel pressure or worse yet a few clogged injectors, then the whole system could be out of whack and that definitely could be noticeable at the pump.
I dont think their is low fuel pressure or clogged injectors because my car still runs 100% ok. It still pulls like a champ every morning when im on the parkway. I will bring my car in to get this looked at as soon as i get a chance(midterms righht now..ugh) im hoping that the new o2 will fix the fuel economy but im not banking on it. the cold weather could also be a factor in my poor gas mileage