5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Reliability of stock shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Reliability of stock shocks/struts?

I did some searching, and it seems rare to hear of a failure of the stock shocks/struts in the gen 5/5.5 maxima. I'd like to hear some other opinions and experiences.

I plan on keeping my 03 SE pretty much stock. The only possible mods will be when replacement of a stock part becomes necessary. I'd probably go with Tokico blues if I ever had to replace shocks or struts.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 AM

my opinion is good...
Old 01-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 6spdmax
I did some searching, and it seems rare to hear of a failure of the stock shocks/struts in the gen 5/5.5 maxima. I'd like to hear some other opinions and experiences.

I plan on keeping my 03 SE pretty much stock. The only possible mods will be when replacement of a stock part becomes necessary. I'd probably go with Tokico blues if I ever had to replace shocks or struts.
My car had about 58k when i replaced for Illuminas and Eibach springs.. My rear shocks were blown.. They weren't bouncy like as if it was blown when they were on the car.. so i didn't know til we took them off..
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm getting ready to replace my struts and shocks - probably with Monroe’s since a friend can get them for me cheep. I have just about 120K on mine and they are not blown but they are no longer stable for the way I drive- fast with quick lane changes. I can now feel the rear tires skipping on rough pavement in turns or lane changes and bouncing on freeway dips. Far cry from how well it held the road at 42K when I got it in ’04.

Anyone have anything against Monroe Sensa-Trak shocks/struts for an '02 Max SE as far as replacing OEMs?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Just get some KYB GR2's.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Just get some KYB GR2's.
Ya but I iz po!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SWerVeDriVeR
Ya but I iz po!
Say wha?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by VQP0WER
Say wha?
I may be able to get a set of Monroe's a bit cheaper than KYB's. Wondering how they compare - quality / performance wise.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And where is my signature?
Oh there it is. Now if I can figure out the avatar...
There's actually a test forum for stuff like this. Let's please try not to clutter the discussion here. Thanks.

http://forums.maxima.org/test-posts-here-16/
Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM
Banned

At 108,000 miles, my stock suspension is not bouncy, but seems soft. I've had the vehicle for 10,000 miles so it may actually ride nearly as well as it did off the showroom. Even if they are somewhat worn, I'd ahve to say they are durable.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 PM

I'd stay away from Monroe's. Stick with KYB or T. Blues.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:09 PM

Mine driver's side strut started leaking at around 87k miles and got really bouncy. Dealer wanted $280 for one SE strut (Canadian), whereas GXE/GLE's are cheaper. I also found out stock 03 SE struts were made by KYB.

I replaced both front struts with KYB GR2's for $280. From what I can tell, the GR2's ride just like stock.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 AM

My car had 90k miles on it before i replaced my shocks/struts.....I'd say the reliabilitiy were pretty good, i have a GLE, so my suspension was a little softer than it should have been...I think if i had just replaced the struts, I would have been good

But i wanted a stiffer sportier ride...So i went with Tokico Illumina's and H&R springs....nice and tight, but not too tight
Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 AM

If and when it's time to replace the stock struts/shocks do yourself a favor keep it OEM. Don't do blues, monroes, or kyb. The ride is gonna feel very soft. I've gonna that route with blues and I just didn't like the soft feeling. I purchased some new OEM se shocks and the ride is back to stock............
Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
If and when it's time to replace the stock struts/shocks do yourself a favor keep it OEM. Don't do blues, monroes, or kyb. The ride is gonna feel very soft. I've gonna that route with blues and I just didn't like the soft feeling. I purchased some new OEM se shocks and the ride is back to stock............
Originally Posted by 03blackSE
Mine driver's side strut started leaking at around 87k miles and got really bouncy. Dealer wanted $280 for one SE strut (Canadian), whereas GXE/GLE's are cheaper. I also found out stock 03 SE struts were made by KYB.

I replaced both front struts with KYB GR2's for $280. From what I can tell, the GR2's ride just like stock.
Do we suppose the '02 SE's OEM struts were by KYB as well?
Old 02-09-2009, 07:59 PM

UH, DOES ILLUMINA'S COME TO MIND?? I find my Illuminas to ride better than SE suspension..well given i have mine set to 5F/5R

But i would never go monroes, before i when the Illumina route, i Considered Blues...But i figured id keep it one step down from Coilovers..Im saving the coil over experience for the M3 i buy
Old 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM

I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to replace the stock shocks/struts. I would probably still stick with Tokico, but it sounds like it would be worth it to spend the extra money on the white ones. Of course that would bump me out of the stock class for autocross though.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM

Shockers
I put the KYB GR2's on all corners of the car. What a nice improvement over the stock GLE soft shocks. Even when new, the GLE was too soft...now there is control and a refined ride that my wife does not complain about. That is a huge compliment to the shocks.

stay away from Monroe...I had a mediocre experience with them on my Ford Expedition...rode worse than stock.

Thanks

Vic

I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to replace the stock shocks/struts. I would probably still stick with Tokico, but it sounds like it would be worth it to spend the extra money on the white ones. Of course that would bump me out of the stock class for autocross though.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Tokico blues are not the same tokicos that come with the the car. Blues are much softer than SE shocks especially the rears. Stay with stock units and you'll be just fine. I personally don't believe the illuminas are worth it unless you are lowered.