5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fidanza Flywheel w/ Stock Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 PM

Fidanza Flywheel w/ Stock Clutch

Searched, but without much luck. Looking to see how detrimental it is running a lightweight Fidanza fly on a stock clutch. As far as I know, the clutch is stock with 68k on it. It MIGHT of been replaced, however, I bought my 02 6spd back in Dec of 07 so I'm not too sure. No slipping of any kind, catches nice and strong.

Would a a Fidanza be alright with a stock clutch or would it hold back the Fidanza any? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Toolie

shouldn't be a problem, but if you are going to drop the tranny might as well at least replace the disk and the throwout bearing
Old 01-15-2009, 07:56 PM

I would run a sprung disc. Your stock clutch disc is solid. As I understand it, the stock "dual mass" flywheel is designed to absorb some of the shock, instead of your drivetrain. When you switch to a solid flywheel like the fidanza, it would make sense to get a sprung disc to absorb the shock.

I just ordered a valeo clutch kit for my 03 6spd, which comes with a sprung disc, for $159 shipped. Now I'm planning on using my stock flywheel unless it's shot and can't be resurfaced. In that case both parts will be non-solid.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 PM

The Fidanza should be fine with the stock clutch. The Fidanza with any clutch changes the way the car drives. Going with a solid disk and solid flywheel is ok.

The stock clutch on these cars is OK unless you're making a lot of power. A really nice clutch to go with the Fidanza is the 350Z HR clutch from Nissan.

I'm not sure what you're planning but if you're changing the flywheel You will definatley want to change the clutch at the same time. Under normal use the clutch wont have been changed yet. Changing the clutch is a very labor intensive job. It makes sence to change it any time the tranny is out.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:07 PM

I actually just did a clutch job with an oem exedy clutch kit and the fidanza flywheel. No problems for about 25,000 miles or so.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 PM

although mine is a 2000. sorry.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:59 PM

Changing the clutch does seem wise if I am to do the flywheel. I'm thinking I'll possibly wait a bit? Maybe after a cat-back and a pulley I'll think of it. And yeah, if I were to go clutch, I've heard and read some good stuff on the HR/Fidanza set up. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:02 AM

I may be interested in your stock flywheel if it is still in good shape.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:41 AM
Toolie

i have a stock flywheel that needs machining, but it would cost a fortune to send it to you
Old 01-16-2009, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
i have a stock flywheel that needs machining, but it would cost a fortune to send it to you
You can fit the stock flywheel in a flat rate USPS Priority box and send it anywhere in the US for About $8.00. It will get there in 2 days.

MI3, if you're planning other performance upgrades I'd do them first. When the clutch starts to get weak change everything then. The Fidanza is nice but for the cost and hassle of the install it's not worth it unless you have to pull the tranny anyway. You'd be better slapping a set of headers on the car for now.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 01-16-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
You can fit the stock flywheel in a flat rate USPS Priority box and send it anywhere in the US for About $8.00. It will get there in 2 days.
Probably at least a little more coming from Canada.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When the e-bay seller that I bought my first fidanza off of did that, it resulted in the dowel pins getting bent when the post office dropped it HARD, nothing major but it still needed some correction & could have been worse for sure, so I'd recommend against that, I'll dig up the pics in a second. EDIT: Hahaha, I didn't notice it was a stock flywheel, screw it, it's a stock clutch, for several reasons screw it, 1 it being steel, the aluminum crumpling around the dowl was the only reason my fidanza suffered damage in the flatrate box

MI3, if you're planning other performance upgrades I'd do them first. When the clutch starts to get weak change everything then. The Fidanza is nice but for the cost and hassle of the install it's not worth it unless you have to pull the tranny anyway. You'd be better slapping a set of headers on the car for now.
Oooh, I don't know that's a tough one, I do see where you're coming from with the cost & install & it being much better/more convenient when you have to drop the tranny for something else, BUT adding a lightweight flywheel turns your car into a neck-snapping beast in 1st, & with the 6-speeds heavy heavy heavy *** dual mass het up it's 10-fold! makes it sooooo much more fun, me personally I would do it even if I didn't have to drop the tranny, but part of that is because it doesn't take me long at all.

OP: Will & won't cause a problem, 1st off, you will no longer have a sprung clutch set-up, and allthough I'm trying to set my 4th gen drag car up like this, for the street I'd recommend against that. But REGARDLESS of that reason, the big one is that: [if you do it] You're in there anyways, and your clutch has 70k (I can almost assure you it hasn't been replaced, assuming) SO, how bad would it suck to do all that work & THEN have to do a clutch in 30K? On top of that, even if you did say screw it & not do the clutch, if it goes in 30K- my personal preference & what I always recommend to people is to have a brand new surface on that flywheel when you do a clutch, so 30K down the road you would either be 1/2 assing it again, or having to deal with spending even more money in the end.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 01-16-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 AM

Definitely some good input here. I do plan on doing other modifications down the road (cattman's 3" catback, stock diameter pulley and cams, possibly rod work.) Maybe it will be better to wait for the clutch to go (assuming it does in 30k). That was my biggest concern honestly. I've heard nothing but good with a flywheel install, but I always did like killing two birds with one stone.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
adding a lightweight flywheel turns your car into a neck-snapping beast in 1st, & with the 6-speeds heavy heavy heavy *** dual mass het up it's 10-fold! makes it sooooo much more fun, me personally I would do it even if I didn't have to drop the tranny, but part of that is because it doesn't take me long at all.
Now I'm almost sold on the fidanza now. I had a lightweight flywheel installed in my 95 turbo integra LS (along with a 6-puck ceramic clutch and an LSD). It is pretty much a dedicated autocross car, but it seems like the lightweight flywheel makes it harder to drive in traffic. ei. The car slows down really quick when I get out of the gas, and when I have to get in&out of the gas alot, it really jerks the car around. That is what has made me reluctant thus far, for going with a lightweight flywheel in the Max. Of course the 6-puck in the integra doesn't help when driving in traffic either.

How does the fidanza for the maximas affect driving in traffic? Is it very noticeable?

If my stock flywheel ends up being shot, I may just bite the bullet and go for the fidanza. Hopefully that shop will be able to get one in quickly. My car will be sitting on the lift waiting for it.

what I always recommend to people is to have a brand new surface on that flywheel when you do a clutch, so 30K down the road you would either be 1/2 assing it again, or having to deal with spending even more money in the end.
I'd definitely recommend killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

The fidanza has a friction surface that can be resurfaced or replaced. If you do decide to do the flywheel now and the clutch later, you might want to check the price of a new friction surface. It may be less than the price of resurfacing.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 AM

When the e-bay seller that I bought my first fidanza off of did that, it resulted in the dowel pins getting bent when the post office dropped it HARD, nothing major but it still needed some correction & could have been worse for sure, so I'd recommend against that, I'll dig up the pics in a second. EDIT: Hahaha, I didn't notice it was a stock flywheel, screw it, it's a stock clutch, for several reasons screw it, 1 it being steel, the aluminum crumpling around the dowl was the only reason my fidanza suffered damage in the flatrate box

Oooh, I don't know that's a tough one, I do see where you're coming from with the cost & install & it being much better/more convenient when you have to drop the tranny for something else, BUT adding a lightweight flywheel turns your car into a neck-snapping beast in 1st, & with the 6-speeds heavy heavy heavy *** dual mass het up it's 10-fold! makes it sooooo much more fun, me personally I would do it even if I didn't have to drop the tranny, but part of that is because it doesn't take me long at all.

OP: Will & won't cause a problem, 1st off, you will no longer have a sprung clutch set-up, and allthough I'm trying to set my 4th gen drag car up like this, for the street I'd recommend against that. But REGARDLESS of that reason, the big one is that: [if you do it] You're in there anyways, and your clutch has 70k (I can almost assure you it hasn't been replaced, assuming) SO, how bad would it suck to do all that work & THEN have to do a clutch in 30K? On top of that, even if you did say screw it & not do the clutch, if it goes in 30K- my personal preference & what I always recommend to people is to have a brand new surface on that flywheel when you do a clutch, so 30K down the road you would either be 1/2 assing it again, or having to deal with spending even more money in the end.
Dont get me wrong, I really like the flywheel and would probably do one again regardless of the clutch too. I always recomend them. But that's with me doing the install. For about the same price he could do a set of headers and get better gains. I think he'd be happy with either one though.

Yeah, when my Fidanza was shipped the dowels got bent too. That was from a retail store. The packaging isn't much better than a priority box. I think the steel dowels would be a lot stronger than the aluminum dowels too. I shipped my stock FW priority and wrote HEAVY on it so no one would would grab it lightly.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by 6spdmax
Now I'm almost sold on the fidanza now. I had a lightweight flywheel installed in my 95 turbo integra LS (along with a 6-puck ceramic clutch and an LSD). It is pretty much a dedicated autocross car, but it seems like the lightweight flywheel makes it harder to drive in traffic. ei. The car slows down really quick when I get out of the gas, and when I have to get in&out of the gas alot, it really jerks the car around. That is what has made me reluctant thus far, for going with a lightweight flywheel in the Max. Of course the 6-puck in the integra doesn't help when driving in traffic either.

How does the fidanza for the maximas affect driving in traffic? Is it very noticeable?
I've driven A33Bs both with and without lightweight flywheels, and honestly just driving them around normally, I couldn't really tell a difference. Wasn't any harder to get them going from a stop, only thing I noticed was a bit more clutch chatter.

Start driving it hard though, and you'll definitely notice a difference. Great mod, IMO.

Also FWIW I wouldn't go with a stock clutch on an aftermarket flywheel, you'll have no real give between the engine and the trans. I've driven completely unsprung setups and eh, not really something I'd like to use on the street.

Last edited by pmohr; 01-17-2009 at 11:45 AM.