5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Glad I have a good, reasonably priced mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:26 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Glad I have a good, reasonably priced mechanic

When I last got my oil changed at the dealership (they are cheaper than the quick lube places by about $20 or so) they said my outer tie rods are bad. Quoted me $84.95 EACH and that was just for the parts.

Outer tie rods aren't that hard to replace but I had surgery earlier this month and am not supposed to lift or exert (as in pushing) more than 20 pounds until 6 weeks after the operation so doing them myself really wasn't an option.

There is a shop that specializes in imports not to far from me who I have had work on my various cars when it is something I don't have the tools and/or the know-how to fix. He got me the Moog outer tie rods (which have a grease fitting, unlike the OEM ones and have a noticably beefier construction) for $44 each and charged me $75 for installation. Even with tax it was still a bit cheaper than what the dealership wanted for parts alone.

At least they weren't BS'ing me about the tie rods, the bushing was shot on the driver's side and the passenger side one had play in it. Steering response is noticably sharper and the front end is very quiet now.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 PM
Suspension Yoda

Big ol to that one.

I've got an honest, knowledgeable one too that makes my life so much easier (and less expensive). And their hours are very convenient for someone with little free time.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Moog is a respectable brand. Grease fittings also make them a plus.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 for moog replacement parts.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:04 AM

yea its nothing like having a mechanic thats truthful with ya..Ive got one guy that i let work on my car
Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Yeah, you're one lucky fella. I moved to Alabama from Kansas a few months ago and I really miss my mechanic. I still haven't even seen a shop I want to drive the car into let alone have them put air in my tires.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:43 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

What is really nice is that since I have done business with him so long, he tries to work my car in quickly. He also knows I have a detailing business and rainy days are the best for me to bring my car in. He just says to call the day before, tell him what I need done and he will make sure the parts are either there already or on the way.

After my car is done, if he isn't busy and I don't have to be anywhere, we usually talk cars for a couple of hours.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
I've got an honest, knowledgeable one too that makes my life so much easier (and less expensive). And their hours are very convenient for someone with little free time.
Thats just like my friend (his father too). We fix the Max in his garage. He's got a lift in there and everything.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Moog's a good brand. Our OEM stabilizer links go every 50,000-60,000 miles. We throw moog on the customers cars now since they have a much better life expectancy.
As far as two outer tie rod's, we charge an hour for either one or both sides, so $75 isn't to bad for labor.. You're going to want to get an alignment.. No matter how close they thinkthey got the tie rod ends and nuts, toe will still be off if even by 1/2 a degree...I'd call around for a front end alignment... You might find a shop to give you a discount if you tell them you just want your toe set.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just changed mine dunno about the brand , BAP GEON sold me for 17 dollars a piece & I just installed it my self, not really hard thing to do.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by maxkid
I just changed mine dunno about the brand , BAP GEON sold me for 17 dollars a piece & I just installed it my self, not really hard thing to do.
It is when you've had recent surgery...

5thgenmaxima-alignment is one of the few things this mechanic doesn't do, so the next rainy day I am going to get that done (should be Monday).
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Scottwax
so the next rainy day I am going to get that done (should be Monday).
It should be fine, as long as you eventually get it done.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 AM

I've been taking all my Nissan stuff to a mechanic about a mile down the street for several years now. He was a mechanic for a Nissan dealership here in town that was bought out by another larger dealership. When his was closing, the owners offered to sell him whatever he wanted to buy. He now has a nice building set up behind his house complete with lift and a wall of speciality Nissan tools, manuals, scanners and diagnostic equipment. There have been several times I've called and he's told me how to fix things over the phone, or has done things for free. This is just a part time job for him (he has a regular 9-5 job), so getting in can sometimes take weeks. He's older, in his mid 50's, don't know what I'll do when he gives this up.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:14 PM

yea i think i have a very trust worthy mechanic that wont screw me cuz hes my brother...lol i always tries to assist him when he works on my car and best thing its always free! past weekend we change both control arms with ball joints and next project is installing my y-pipe wit megan catback. hes a BMW mechanic and dealer lets him work on car after work so easier with lift.