5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Exhaust Mod - Check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:16 AM

New Exhaust Mod - Check it out!

Ok guys, I wanted to try something that I've seen done on the Subaru forums and see if it worked on my car. Here is the thread where I got the idea. Basically, you take out the bolts where the muffler flange is and you put washers in between the flanges and you get a better sound. It sounds cool on the Subies, but I wanted to try it out on my Max.

I bought 6 1/4in washers for like $.40 and I tried 3 on each one at first, and it was pretty loud. I would have kept it, but when you stepped on it, all you would really hear was air, like a BIG whoosshhhh sound out of the back of the car. I really didn't like that, so i took it down to just 1 washer in between the flanges. The sound is nice, and not too loud. It sounds throatier and is a little louder. This took me a total of like 15 minutes and about $.12 in parts (if you only use 2 washers total) and I think it would be a cool mod for people who just want a little bit out sound.

I will post up a sound clip later today, but I just wanted to tell everyone about this and see what people thought about it. I didn't see anyone do anything similar on these forums, so we'll see how this goes.

EDIT: here is the video. sorry for the bad quality, I will try to find my camera later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPAuklpBIA

Last edited by viperboy; 12-10-2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: youtube link
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So basically create an exhaust leak?

Or a mini cut-out that is working full time.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 AM

Waiting for video/sound and some speakers, because as of right now, it seems that you are trying to get some from a persuaded exhaust leak...
Old 12-10-2008, 06:43 AM

Well, essentially, that's what it is. It's not something that you'll lose or gain anything from, other than more sound.

If you read through that thread (which I doubt you will) plenty of people with their Legacy's have done it and loved it.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by viperboy
Well, essentially, that's what it is. It's not something that you'll lose or gain anything from, other than more sound.

If you read through that thread (which I doubt you will) plenty of people with their Legacy's have done it and loved it.
I did read some of the thread and am not doubting that some people like/love this, but I'm not interested in what other people think really. My point was in essence, this mod creates a small "leak" to increase exhaust volume and a marginal increase in exhaust flow. Just trying to understand it is all.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I did read some of the thread and am not doubting that some people like/love this, but I'm not interested in what other people think really. My point was in essence, this mod creates a small "leak" to increase exhaust volume and a marginal increase in exhaust flow. Just trying to understand it is all.
Right, that's basically correct.

Also, in the process of doing this, I found out I had a Bosal OE muffler. I wondered why my tips were different than all the other 5.5gen Maxima's So, I threw some tips on there. You'll see it in the video
Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 AM

VERY INTERESTING.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 AM

Im going to try it, essentially it is an exhaust leak, so i dunno, its an easy install so yep.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:30 AM

i might try this just to see how much different the car sounds with a warpspeed y and magnaflow cat.....aftermarket mufflers make my car too loud.....

Last edited by sureal00; 12-10-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:41 AM

You guys are gonna hate me... I have no idea where my camera is so this video will be coming from my blackberry.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 AM

so you put washers where you would normally put a gasket between sections ><
Old 12-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Professor
so you put washers where you would normally put a gasket between sections ><
Yep, but just for the rear section.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 AM
I love lamp.

I dunno about you, but times that I had exhaust leaks, they've all sounded like crap. Now people are making intentional leaks because it sounds good? I'm failing to see the logic here.

S
Old 12-10-2008, 08:08 AM

i have the full cattman setup (headers back) and it sounds great, get some headers on the max and you wont need an exhaust leak
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

modding your exhaust so it is louder isn't hard at all. personally i prefer the screwdriver holes in the muffler. easier and you can adjust the sound however you want. ****ing ricers.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

yea i don't get the point of this. there is no advantages of doing this except a much louder exhaust. i just had my leak fixed on my 5.5 and it was the most annoying sound in the world.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM

No need to flame me for this, I read it on the Subaru forums and listen to the videos and it sounded pretty good. At least if you don't like it, you can put it back to stock. Some people only want an exhaust for the sound, and especially on our cars, that's really all their for unless you're going FI. So this would be good if all you wanted was sound and didn't want to pay $450+ for a CBE.

So, Torgus, GTFO if you're gonna be negative. Speaking of ricers, interesting Maxima in your sig...
Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 AM
2003 Nisan Maxima

So, Torgus, GTFO if you're gonna be negative. Speaking of ricers, interesting Maxima in your sig...

hahah for your information dude Torgus, IMO, has one of the nicest maximas on this site. you went and done it now!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by maximase86
I dunno about you, but times that I had exhaust leaks, they've all sounded like crap. Now people are making intentional leaks because it sounds good? I'm failing to see the logic here.

S
I think this sounds pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exfPYnPbAiI

and here is a magnaflow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jnp0...eature=related

close enough to me to spend like $1 in parts instead of a full exhaust.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Teaner
hahah for your information dude Torgus, IMO, has one of the nicest maximas on this site. you went and done it now!
Maybe in some people's eyes

anyway... I'm waiting for the video to upload.

EDIT: Here is the link. Sorry for the ****ty quality, I'll try to get a better one later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPAuklpBIA

Last edited by viperboy; 12-10-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added youtuble link
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Teaner
eh to each its own not my cup of tea..only really a fan of the classic front lip but.. thats off topic.. his custom grill is sick and im fabbing up my own like his lol but thats off topic...

creating an exhaust leak with washers now thats a new one,.. oh the things people will do in todays economy to save money lol..im with amomaxima lol

Last edited by mist max2000; 12-10-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM

It just sounds like an exhaust leak to me....not at all like a performance muffler.

Personally, I dont get it

Oh yeah.....and Torgus' ride at least has legit performance/aesthetic mods. He didnt creating an exhaust leak to fool people into thinking his car is modded.

Last edited by vball_max; 12-10-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

I did it a couple of times a long time ago just to FK with people who knew my car was stock. They'd keep asking "oh man what did you do to it?" when it was louder. IMO no reason to make it louder unless it's louder b/c of headers.

And I agree with some others, the only good stillen lip is the classic, and 20" chromes on a maxima with a big, agressive looking body kit and a CF hood is definately impeding onto ricer territory. This is all my personal opinion, and I respect all the effort/work Torgus has put into his car.

Last edited by sparks03max; 12-10-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Modifying your exhaust just for noise purposes = rice, and trust me i know rice(have you seen mah cah?). but this is like stupid ricerboi rice. As i said you'll have better results(MOAR BeTTAH SouNDIN NOIZE!) with a screwdriver stabbing holes in your muffler.

Thank you for the nice comments tho it's nice to hear people like what i have done with my ride. Honestly i'm planning on doing something special with the lip which no one has done before. I was going to mold it all in to the bumper but erase the stupid fins and keep the front lip style(edge) all around until it curved up and matches the fender...if that makes sense. I think it will look bad ***. i'm trying to make my car look 'aggressive' to a degree. not sleek and smooth which i think 90% of the maximas on this forum are. which is fine again i have my own plans and prefer to stick out of the crowd then follow it. hell i'v had a maxxtunning lip sitting in my garage for 2 years and just sold it. If i wanted i could have put it on when i painted my cf invader hood.

Honestly i'm much more concerned about performance now. Getting an 04 6spd(lw fw, am c, pu mm, etc.) in there this spring and a turbo(probably the bolt on kit) this coming summer is on the top of my list. I have a full custom interior, damn good stereo by my accounts, and a rather modified exterior. now it's time to go fast and have a weekend warrior. then i can buy a G37 sedan for a DD and ditch my turd gen.

edit: if i ever do any serious body work again i'll probably throw on big fender flairs mold that into the front bumper and the custom lip i was talking about, flatten out the side skirts completely(ala sadler no stupid dimples or waves in it) and mold the rear and make it slightly lower again with big fiberglass fender flairs. Then i'd do a custom color and call it a day. but then the color might not match with my interior so i'll probably keep it the factory color never do all the body work and keep going with my two tone in side and out theme. thank you all for listening me ramble about what i'm going to do to my car it's probably more interesting then reading about a guy who just foudn out creating an exhaust leak makes the exhast louder...And creating an exhaust leak and then making a thread about it is stupid. anyone who couldn't think this up themselves is

edit#2: i'm allowed to be negative. by posting this ridiculous thread you've asked to be at the forum's mercy and we can say nice things or means things about it. i prefer mean in this case. have a nice day it's, nothing personal i just would never embarrass myself by making a thread like this.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-10-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
Modifying your exhaust just for noise purposes = rice, and trust me i know rice(have you seen mah cah?). but this is like stupid ricerboi rice. As i said you'll have better results(MOAR BeTTAH SouNDIN NOIZE!) with a screwdriver stabbing holes in your muffler.

Thank you for the nice comments tho it's nice to hear people like what i have done with my ride. Honestly i'm planning on doing something special with the lip which no one has done before. I was going to mold it all in to the bumper but erase the stupid fins and keep the front lip style(edge) all around until it curved up and matches the fender...if that makes sense. I think it will look bad ***. i'm trying to make my car look 'aggressive' to a degree. not sleek and smooth which i think 90% of the maximas on this forum are. which is fine again i have my own plans and prefer to stick out of the crowd then follow it. hell i'v had a maxxtunning lip sitting in my garage for 2 years and just sold it. If i wanted i could have put it on when i painted my cf invader hood.

Honestly i'm much more concerned about performance now. Getting an 04 6spd(lw fw, am c, pu mm, etc.) in there this spring and a turbo(probably the bolt on kit) this coming summer is on the top of my list. I have a full custom interior, damn good stereo by my accounts, and a rather modified exterior. now it's time to go fast and have a weekend warrior. then i can buy a G37 sedan for a DD and ditch my turd gen.

edit: if i ever do any serious body work again i'll probably throw on big fender flairs mold that into the front bumper and the custom lip i was talking about, flatten out the side skirts completely(ala sadler no stupid dimples or waves in it) and mold the rear and make it slightly lower again with big fiberglass fender flairs. Then i'd do a custom color and call it a day. but then the color might not match with my interior so i'll probably keep it the factory color never do all the body work and keep going with my two tone in side and out theme. thank you all for listening me ramble about what i'm going to do to my car it's probably more interesting then reading about a guy who just foudn out creating an exhaust leak makes the exhast louder...And creating an exhaust leak and then making a thread about it is stupid. anyone who couldn't think this up themselves is

edit#2: i'm allowed to be negative. by posting this ridiculous thread you've asked to be at the forum's mercy and we can say nice things or means things about it. i prefer mean in this case. have a nice day it's, nothing personal i just would never embarrass myself by making a thread like this.

are u getting those ksport air bags still ?
Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM

this isnt a ridiculous thread, its for those that dont want to spend the money for an exhaust. The video, besides the Siht quality makes the max sound better then it did 100% stock, Haters get out of the dudes thread
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sureal00
are u getting those ksport air bags still ?
I don't think so. after talking with a few people on here it was suggested to me in private that i don't for 2 reasons: One being Ksport uses generics parts in all of their suspensions they sell: aka off the shelf dampeners and generic bags in this case. Second their quality isn't so top knotch probably because the use of generic parts and not parts designed by engineers especially for my car. They do have a good warranty program from what i understand so yes i can have a bag replaced if it blows. BUT my car is out of action for a month or more while i: uninstall, ship it out, wait for it to be fixed, gets shipped back, then i have to reinstall. i still may at some point down the road get them or do a custom airbag setup but atm i'm keeping my eyes open for some tien coilovers as i'v ridden on them and installed them multiple times and they seem the best bang for your buck.

sureal00 got any close up pics of your headlights? and any night pics?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
wat

What the ****?

This is retarded.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM
wat

Oh and LOL for comparing subie flat 4's to how your v6 will sound.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mist max2000
...creating an exhaust leak with washers now thats a new one,.. oh the things people will do in todays economy to save money lol..im with amomaxima lol
Like I said, to me it's better than paying for a full exhaust.

Originally Posted by kgallerie
It just sounds like an exhaust leak to me....not at all like a performance muffler.

Personally, I dont get it

Oh yeah.....and Torgus' ride at least has legit performance/aesthetic mods. He didnt creating an exhaust leak to fool people into thinking his car is modded.
It sounds like an exhaust leak to you because I told you what I did. If I would have done what was done in the Subie thread, probably alot of people would have asked what it was and then I would have told them and I would have gotten alot of people who were surprised what it was and how it sounded for what I did.

Originally Posted by sparks03max
...And I agree with some others, the only good stillen lip is the classic, and 20" chromes on a maxima with a big, agressive looking body kit and a CF hood is definately impeding onto ricer territory. This is all my personal opinion, and I respect all the effort/work Torgus has put into his car.
My thoughts exactly.

edit: if i ever do any serious body work again i'll probably throw on big fender flairs mold that into the front bumper and the custom lip i was talking about, flatten out the side skirts completely(ala sadler no stupid dimples or waves in it) and mold the rear and make it slightly lower again with big fiberglass fender flairs. Then i'd do a custom color and call it a day. but then the color might not match with my interior so i'll probably keep it the factory color never do all the body work and keep going with my two tone in side and out theme.
Blah, blah, blah whatever. Talk about this somewhere else.

thank you all for listening me ramble about what i'm going to do to my car it's probably more interesting then reading about a guy who just foudn out creating an exhaust leak makes the exhast louder...And creating an exhaust leak and then making a thread about it is stupid. anyone who couldn't think this up themselves is

Again, no one cares what you have to say. Move on.

Originally Posted by amomaxima
this isnt a ridiculous thread, its for those that dont want to spend the money for an exhaust. The video, besides the Siht quality makes the max sound better then it did 100% stock, Haters get out of the dudes thread
Thanks alot for understanding what the purpose of this thread was for. I can drop all kinds of money into this car, but I don't want to. All my other cars in the past have had an exhaust system and I just don't wanna to that to this car. I can undo the washers at any point.

Originally Posted by chopstix2nrz
What the ****?

This is retarded.
Keep out of my thread and keep your stupid comments to yourself. I wasn't comparing the motors or the sound, I was comparing the ideas and adapting them to the Maxima. If you could read and comprehend, you would have understood that.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM

This is a very similar concept to all these guys who post "Shud i put a g35 or 350z muffler on my 5 gen so it sounds like a dual exhaust stock Hpipe 350z with only the change of a muffler?"
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Banned

Someone is getting very angry that people don't like his mod.

By making this thread you have to accept both negative and positive comments. stop acting like a newb who's feelings are hurt.

Some of us don't like it and think it's stupid.. others think it's rad you made an exhaust leak. get over it. If you can't handle this go have a mod delete your thread and don't make threads where you can't handle any negative comments about your post.

go post this on a bmw/infiniti/lexus/audi forum how they treat you, it will be FAR worse oh and a full SS cat back is 250 shipped off egay for a maxima not expensive at all.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
wat

Keep out of my thread and keep your stupid comments to yourself. I wasn't comparing the motors or the sound, I was comparing the ideas and adapting them to the Maxima. If you could read and comprehend, you would have understood that.
You know what you are right.
It sounds cool on the Subies

Originally Posted by sparks03max
This is a very similar concept to all these guys who post "Shud i put a g35 or 350z muffler on my 5 gen so it sounds like a dual exhaust stock Hpipe 350z with only the change of a muffler?"
lol

so wait, you mean if i put washers on my ehaust flange it will sound like a boxer engine?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:28 AM
WSH for teh cup

Keep out of my thread and keep your stupid comments to yourself.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Someone is getting very angry that people don't like his mod.

By making this thread you have to accept both negative and positive comments. stop acting like a newb who's feelings are hurt.

Some of us don't like it and think it's stupid.. others think it's rad you made an exhaust leak. get over it. If you can't handle this go have a mod delete your thread and don't make threads where you can't handle any negative comments about your post.

go post this on a bmw/infiniti/lexus/audi forum how they treat you, it will be FAR worse oh and a full SS cat back is 250 shipped off egay for a maxima not expensive at all.

If people don't like it, that's fine. My feelings aren't hurt, but if you HAVE to post, post that you don't like it an get OUT. Don't talk about your car and all that crap. Say you don't like it and leave.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM

Jeez some of you act like children. If you don't like it, say so and MOVE ON. No need for name-calling or other stupid behavior. No more OT posts, period. It might not be your cup of tea, but there are ways to make a point without making yourself look foolish.

I will leave this thread open for now on the condition that the responses have some modicum of civility.

Last edited by nismology; 12-10-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM

Wow I thought 5th gen owners where suppose to be more mature. Lol Leave the bickering to the 3rds and 4ths but I guess the mod is an different idea
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 AM

Well however you think of it, the 5.5 gen stock exhaust is mad quiet for being a 250 hp VQ and some people do want a little more sound. The spacer does work... but doesn't sound NEARLY as good as buying a decent muffler and having it welded on in place of the stock one. Cheap/easy mod for great sound... not to mention legal.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

just thinking about this a little more...
Creating an exhaust leak closer to the passenger compartment is dangerous for multiple reasons that i don't need to go into.
As well as it being illegal in EVERY state.
Also it's allowing more moisture to get into the exhaust and would be concerned it would fail considerable faster, especially if you live in the northeast where the winter is ruff on exhausts anyways.
Finally they are already known to be weak at that point, this just makes it fail quicker as far as i can tell.

am i right? or am i thinking to far into this?

Last edited by Torgus; 12-10-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:58 AM

So every header/y-pipe thread ever created should be locked too due to the removal of emissions equipment, no? What's your point?

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Mod - Check it out!