5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Struts Loose and Sway Bar End Link Makes Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Struts Loose and Sway Bar End Link Makes Noise

Hi,

Folks -- Happy thanksgiving to others in US.

I went to the dealership to change oil yesterday and had them do a multipoint inspection. The results are that:
  • front struts are loose and noisy
  • sway bar end links are noisy
  • transmission fluid leaks
  • rusty rear brakes and rotors.

(1) The car now has about 100K miles, and the struts have never been changed. so i think it is time -- I do feel the bounces and clunky noises when I drive. What struts would you recommend?

I have seen the GD here: http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...nts-boots.html
and have heard good things about the KYB struts, but I am not into street racing, so I am wondering if this would be more appropriate than the stock. Would also recommend Monroe SensaTracks?

Finally, how about the sway bar links? HOw much should I expect to pay for them>

thanks - Noela
Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 PM

The classifieds? Seriously? Moved.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:12 PM

For real, I need help.

It is not marketing gimmic..I want recommendations re what to buy and would appreciate any input...

Originally Posted by nismology
The classifieds? Seriously? Moved.
thanks - rgds, Noela
Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 PM

OK, first thing is rusty rear brakes...If your pads are good, rust does NOT matter as long as the rotor is not falling apart. That is a pretty stupid thing to say was inspected. Noisy/loose struts. I would pee my pants if me strut was "loose" that would mean it is not attached which would mean accident. They may be blown, if they feel bouncym then new ones may not be a bad idea. As far as struts go, oem is super expensive new, but can be found around classifieds. Stay away from monroe, never hear good things in their direction. KYB Gr2 is a stock replacement, should essentially be the same as stock only newer and a bit stronger. KYB AGX is adjustable, given your suspension knowledge, i doubt you would need that. Another good oem replacement option is Tokico Blues. Unless you are lowering your car, I wouldn't even consider adjustables. Just choose used oem, gr2 or blues.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by augiedog964
OK, first thing is rusty rear brakes...If your pads are good, rust does NOT matter as long as the rotor is not falling apart. That is a pretty stupid thing to say was inspected.
Come to think of it, i think you are right. I just changed my front pads in last July, so i think should have some life still left on them. This is what the tech wrote: FrontBrakes: 6mm no hardware shim. RearBrakes: 3mm, rotors rusty. My rotors have not been changed since 2006 and currently, I feel the vibrations from the steering wheel when I try to brake on the freeway - just like you do with warped rotors. So I guess it would be time to replace them. I went with stock rotors and pads, and would likely do so. I was thinking of Hawk pads, but I hear they are very dusty, and are not much improvement over stock? Any thoughts....

Originally Posted by augiedog964
Noisy/loose struts. I would pee my pants if me strut was "loose" that would mean it is not attached which would mean accident. They may be blown, if they feel bouncym then new ones may not be a bad idea. As far as struts go, oem is super expensive new, but can be found around classifieds. Stay away from monroe, never hear good things in their direction. KYB Gr2 is a stock replacement, should essentially be the same as stock only newer and a bit stronger. KYB AGX is adjustable, given your suspension knowledge, i doubt you would need that. Another good oem replacement option is Tokico Blues. Unless you are lowering your car, I wouldn't even consider adjustables. Just choose used oem, gr2 or blues.
Does it then mean that the Tokico blues or gr2 are less expensive than the OEM? - I think you implied that. Ok. I will read up a bit on them.

Where can I get reasonable deals on either?

rgds, Noela
Old 11-28-2008, 06:51 AM

you can find prices on the group buy forum for the tokico blues or kyb gr2. either one is suitable for your needs.

endlinks might have to get from dealer or from a nissan parts vendor on here.

rusted rear brakes doesnt really mean bad breaks, unless of course your pads are worn or the brakes are really really rusted.

trans leak is another issue
Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Suspension Yoda

If you need your struts or strut mounts changed, PM me (see sig)

I prefer using oem mounts/dustboots over the KYB ones.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:14 PM

i got KYB boots, bumpstops and mounts, eibach springs, illuminas struts and OEM front sway bar endlinks i've never looked back since. OH i also replaced passenger inner tie rod too, no noise.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Noela
I was thinking of Hawk pads, but I hear they are very dusty, and are not much improvement over stock? Any thoughts....
You hear wrong. Hawk HPS are far superior to stock in all aspects of performance, and they do not cause pad material buildup on the rotor, which gives you the "warped rotor" feel.

They do dust more than stock, but who cares......