5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone else still waiting for their Megan Racing catback?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Anyone else still waiting for their Megan Racing catback?

I ordered a Megan Racing 2.5" catback setup back in July from Upscale Automotive.

It still hasn't been shipped!

I've been told repeatedly that due to the high demand and Megan Racing having a manufacturing problem, many buyers of this exhaust have had to wait.

I've been asked if I want a refund, but I did enough research, and this setup was the perfect balance of price, performance, and build quality. I will continue to wait until it arrives.

I've been too busy to install it anyway, laying around on the couch waiting to be done with chemo. Well now chemo's over, and I want my exhaust!!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:44 PM
The original VQ...

my buddie ordered his from ebay not to long ago and got it in just a few days....

Originally Posted by sixteenXnine
I ordered a Megan Racing 2.5" catback setup back in July from Upscale Automotive.

It still hasn't been shipped!

I've been told repeatedly that due to the high demand and Megan Racing having a manufacturing problem, many buyers of this exhaust have had to wait.

I've been asked if I want a refund, but I did enough research, and this setup was the perfect balance of price, performance, and build quality. I will continue to wait until it arrives.

I've been too busy to install it anyway, laying around on the couch waiting to be done with chemo. Well now chemo's over, and I want my exhaust!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:42 PM

We have had a few of them on order with Megan Racing for a month or more.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 PM

Since July?? I would have gotten a refund awhile ago...
Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM

if it ain't come in the first 2 weeks it ain't coming.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by PulsarGTS
if it ain't come in the first 2 weeks it ain't coming.
That is totally not true. If a part is not in stock with the manufacturer it may take them a while to make it and get it in stock here in the USA. Megan Racing and most of the other exhaust and aftermarket parts are made overseas. So that is about a month for shipping time, give or take a week for customs delays in most cases if they have it made already. If they don't have it overseas then you would have to add production time onto that. And you also have to add in time for the manufacturer to order it. They get shipments on containers on big ships so they are not just ordering 5-10 parts at a time. Most manufacturers make orders monthly and they won't get a shipment unless it is at least a full container or two. After the manufacturer gets it they normally don't drop ship directly to the end customer. They will make a big shipment to another warehouse in the USA and from there it will go to the customer. So getting the part is not just as easy as ordering it and shipping it out every time. If not available it may take some time. And from me personally dealing with smaller/newer companies such as Megan Racing, their shipping and ETA times are not always exact. And I have many times had to wait for the next container to come in just to find out that the manufacturer got shorted on what they where supposed to get and that would make it wait till the next overseas shipment.

I am not sure who you ordered from but just because it isn't their in a week or two doesn't mean you got ripped off or anything.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:29 AM

LOL take it easy buddy, maybe the sarcasm wasn't evident enough. Anyway this guy ordered back in July. The part not being in stock in the warehouse here or the manufacturer over sea isn't the consumers problem its the companies. Its not like we are even talking about a rare exhaust here. He's in the fifth month of waiting, cancellation should of happened months ago.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM

I am taking it easy. Just explaining the whole process so you all know what us dealers go thought to get stuff sometimes.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 AM

mine was on backorder for at least 2 months. if you pay for it, it will come...
Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

my vis cf hood took over 2 months to arrive.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Glory Glory Man United

Maybe the Pirates in Somalia have it .

Cattman FTW ! Made proudly in the US OF A !
Old 11-19-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunr
mine was on backorder for at least 2 months. if you pay for it, it will come...
True it took about 2 months to get mine its worth the wait you won't be dissapointed
Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM

Still waiting on mine Ive had good comm with importcarparts thats who I ordered mine from. I just hate waiting, anyway I tell myself good things come to those who wait but it still sucks a$$.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:06 PM

woohoo!! finally!!

As soon as my Max gets back from the garage (again!) after getting the cam position sensor replaced due to an SES, I'm firing up the shop heater and throwin' this on!!

Do these Megan's have all the necessary tabs? There's no extra welding required, is there?

... There's much more to do on this car, but for now, I'm just gonna enjoy the fact that I have a stainless steel cat-back.

Last edited by sixteenXnine; 12-10-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:51 PM

congrats dude Im supposed to get mine next tuesday. I totally understand your picture. I feel like I should have some celebration when mine shows up. I feel like its been the most antisipated thing ever. Was yours boxed well and in perfect condition when you received it. I just hope nothing happens in shipping (knock on wood). This should be a complete bolt on no modification unless you have some really rusted parts. The rear section is a pain alot of people jack the rear of the car way up to get the rear section flange over the rear axle. I just take my impact and loosen the bolts that hold the axle in place not too much or it could drop but just enough to get the rear section over the axle the rest is cake. good luck and I hope you enjoy.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:07 PM

It should bolt right up no problem I had some banging issues with mine it was swinging side to side and banging on the post that the rubber bushing for the mid pipe is attached to I had a second hanger welded to the b-pipe where it turns towards rear of the car to keep it from swinging. If you have this problem let me know I'll try to get you a pic of what I did to solve it. Oh and don't use the crappy gaskets that they send you they will deffinalty leak go to any muffler shop and get some good heavy duty gaskets they should only cost like $3 each. Good luck with the install.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:15 PM

i should be getting mine in on friday.too bad the car is going in hibernation for the winter so im gonna have to wait a couple months to install it.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:46 PM

ha finally...congrats
Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 AM

Is this exhaust generally quiet especially with stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe?

I sure hope I notice some sort of audible difference in the cabin... just a little one. And outside as well.

I'm either gonna re-do my GAB mod or put my home-built CAI from the GXE on the GLE to accompany the exhaust...
Old 12-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sixteenXnine
Is this exhaust generally quiet especially with stock exhaust manifolds and y-pipe?

I sure hope I notice some sort of audible difference in the cabin... just a little one. And outside as well.

I'm either gonna re-do my GAB mod or put my home-built CAI from the GXE on the GLE to accompany the exhaust...
It will drone a little with the stock exhaust manifolds, but it isn't unbearable. And you will definitely hear it in the cabin. I remember having to cruise over 2500 rpms if I didn't want to hear it.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Cletus

my Frankencar muffler will be arriving soon to join the Frankencar b-pipe already on the car

Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
my Frankencar muffler will be arriving soon to join the Frankencar b-pipe already on the car

I still win...

And just to not take this completely off topic, here's a video clip of the Megan under load. I know, it is still on a dyno and indoors.

Btw, this car has headers, so this is louder than average.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I still win...
but my 1 will be ON my car...better than 2 in the garage

Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by SoonerFan
but my 1 will be ON my car...better than 2 in the garage

Just one now... and it's on the car.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 AM

hey puppetmaster I take it based on your last post, that 2nd Frankencar isnt available for sale?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
hey puppetmaster you mind selling that other frankencar muffler?
It's already sold. Sorry. The Megan I have isn't for sale either, before anyone asks. Yes, I rotate rear sections periodically, don't ask why.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so are the exhausts still on backorder? how long will it take for the shipping??
Old 12-15-2008, 06:58 PM

I finally got mine today and lets just say if I were to take a pic like the above post I would definatley not have a smiley face. I have a dent in muffler and one of my tips are bent in. I put it on the car anyway after taking pics to document and fitment is very poor too. The only good thing I can say about it is it sounds good when its not rattling against my car underneath. booooo ftl. I will post pics soon.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by nismowolfe
I finally got mine today and lets just say if I were to take a pic like the above post I would definatley not have a smiley face. I have a dent in muffler and one of my tips are bent in. I put it on the car anyway after taking pics to document and fitment is very poor too. The only good thing I can say about it is it sounds good when its not rattling against my car underneath. booooo ftl. I will post pics soon.
That sucks. What b-pipe do you have on there? Stock? Aftermarket? Do you know what it is rattling against? Sometimes it is a quick fix like trimming/bending a heat shield or something.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:27 PM

Its the full cat back so its the megan b pipe. Its hitting where the b pipe hanger is right where in makes the first bend. Its like the exhaust presses against the the hanger and side of the exhaust chanel. Im going to take a further look at it tomarrow and see if theres any way to adjust it but if this is a simple bolt on exhaust I shouldnt have to deal with this. I had a cheap ebay catback that fit better than this one.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:36 PM

pics of dents.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM

Is the hanger closest to the rear wheels supposed to look like this with no **** on the end.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:51 PM

any videos of how it sounds?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM

and my hanger looks the same
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM

No Ill try to get one tomarrow I have no other engine or exhaust mods just the catback and k&n drop in filter just so everyone knows. I noticed no droning what so ever very quite on interstate but nice tone on take off and wot.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM

that dent and bent tip really sucks...but i got mine last friday and it came perfect...now im just hoping to have no problems with install and banging noise...ill find out next saturday when i have plans to install it. I have heard that megan cat back have problems wit those banging noise from the b-pipe...wtf??
Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM

needless to say they will do nothing for me since I installed it what a bunch of crap I ordered it through Import auto parts and I will never buy something from them or megan ever again. Aside from the damages the fitment is still very poor what excuse do they have for that **** poor manafacturing. Not to mention I thought the packaging for shiping was poor nothing but a cardboard box and some plastic wrap. I hope this will help reflect on other people that are planning on purchasing this system from megan. I guess they wanted me to sit around for another 4 months with no exhaust and wait for a replacement total crap no refund no nothing just a big fat sorry you got f**ked. Like I made all of this up for no aparent reason and If I sent the damaged exhaust back they would just have thrown it away anyway sorry a$$ customer support.

Last edited by nismowolfe; 12-16-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:28 PM

wow. you sound, umm, unhappy. Mine's not damaged, and I certainly hope that your "bad fitment" was a fluke, as it'd be pretty crappy if all the sudden Megan has made a bunch of poopy exhausts.

Well, we'll see. I'm waiting till my GXE gets towed home to install the exhaust on the GLE, since all my jacks are in the trunk of the GXE.

I walk past the dang box every time I leave the house, and though I re-GAB'ed yesterday to get some sound back in the car (I might instead swap in my ghetto CAI), I'm itching like a **** to get this bugger installed.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:44 PM

Theres already been someone with the same problems Ive had. He even mentioned it in this thread and said he had to have another hanger welded in to keep it from rattleing.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:06 PM

i got my exhaust undamaged, got it installed today,guy said it was a real easy install and fit perfectly. i do have a little banging when going over bumps but its no big deal.ill just have another hanger welded in.it sounds great! not loud at alllll. i thought it was going to be louder but i love the sound. im happy with mine.

Quick Reply: Anyone else still waiting for their Megan Racing catback?