5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Getting my 6mt tranny replaced with a 6th gen one

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Getting my 6mt tranny replaced with a 6th gen one

Was thinking about getting an HLSD and had a few questions

-Is HLSD locking or non-locking differential?

-Any good sites I can source out a tranny from?

-Any tips for buying this used tranny? In every possible way I would like to safeguard myself from getting a crappy tranny. Id just like to get some pointers here.

-Is the swap a 100% direct swap? Meaning, will I need anything else besides the actual tranny?

One of my boy's is going to do the actual swap in his shop.

Last edited by pbn85; 03-08-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by pbn85
Soo third gear is toast ...I can rev up the engine with the car parked put it in 3rd and it grinds 3/5 times. Not very good odds. I really wanted to get advice from those who have done this swap.

-I did a bit of searching and found even some 04 6th gen guys have a 3rd gear problem. Should I stay away from 04 trannies and get an 05-06? This is already a headache and I dont want to have to source out another transmission

-Is HLSD locking or non-locking differential?

-Any good sites I can source out a tranny from?

-Any tips for buying this used tranny? In every possible way I would like to safeguard myself from getting a crappy tranny. Id just like to get some pointers here.

-Is the swap a 100% direct swap? Meaning, will I need anything else besides the actual tranny?

One of my boy's is going to do the actual swap in his shop. Im hoping after this my 3rd gear wont give me anymore problems
HLSD is locking diff.

car-part.com is great for sourcing one. Like I said in the other thread. Look for one fron Canada. Nearly all the manuals there are HLSD. There's also a good chance it wont be dogged out since people there choose manual for more practical reasons than we do in the U.S. where mostly kids and hot rodders drive stick.

It's a direct swap. The only difference is where the shifter cables hook up to the levers on the transmission. You'll have to use one of the levers from your old tranny. It's no big deal at all. One bolt with no modification or anything. You'll see what I mean when you have it in front of you.

You wont need anything you don't already have.

One more thing. The final drive ratio is shorter on the 6th gen transmissions. That means every gear will turn a little higher RPM than it did before. It helps with acceleration but yor cruising RPM in 6th will be higher by a few hundred RPM.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 09-18-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:45 PM

You must raise the rev-limiter to truly take advantage of the shorter F/D.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 AM
Toolie

Originally Posted by nismology
You must raise the rev-limiter to truly take advantage of the shorter F/D.

Why? I have a dyno showing old and new and they peak at the same point.

here's the difference in miles per hour at redline in 4th gear

Old 09-19-2008, 08:10 AM

Lower top speed in each gear = less time spent in each gear = more momentum-killing shifts to partially offset the higher torque multiplication. Shorter F/D's are at their best when mated with higher redlines to allow the same time (or close to) spent in each gear as before while still enjoying the benefits of the higher torque multiplication. Non-revup/HR Z's with stock redlines that go from 3.5 to 3.9 rear ends feel quicker in each gear because of the higher torque multiplication but are ultimately not much quicker (if it all) in the quarter mile because they have to shift more often as well. But again, I didn't say it's useless without a higher redline; I just said it's not being completely taken advantage of, especially cars that are making significantly more power than stock.

My alty SE-R tranny will be going along with a 7200-7500 redline depending on what my "Stage 1" powerband dictates. We'll see...

Last edited by nismology; 09-19-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:42 AM

sorry this is not gonna help, but i thought 6th gen came with autos only... :s
Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by maxximaa
sorry this is not gonna help, but i thought 6th gen came with autos only... :s
04-05 had the option and maybe some 06
Old 09-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Play with my balls

Lower top speed in each gear = less time spent in each gear = more momentum-killing shifts to partially offset the higher torque multiplication. Shorter F/D's are at their best when mated with higher redlines to allow the same time (or close to) spent in each gear as before while still enjoying the benefits of the higher torque multiplication. Non-revup/HR Z's with stock redlines that go from 3.5 to 3.9 rear ends feel quicker in each gear because of the higher torque multiplication but are ultimately not much quicker (if it all) in the quarter mile because they have to shift more often as well. But again, I didn't say it's useless without a higher redline; I just said it's not being completely taken advantage of, especially cars that are making significantly more power than stock.

My alty SE-R tranny will be going along with a 7200-7500 redline depending on what my "Stage 1" powerband dictates. We'll see...
Ackheem.......excuse me. This is very interesting indeed. I was considering doing this, but wasn't sure exactly how to achieve the best benefits from this swap. Thanks for the 101, nismology.

My other question would be, what tranny's and from what years would work with the 3.5 better then what the 5.5 comes with, while still maintaining the HSLD and also proven to have better synchros? I have a horrible crunch in my 3rd gear as well.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Play with my balls

Is the FD on the Alty SE-R the same as the 6th gen FD's?
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM

This site has tech information on all Nissans going back pretty far. You can compare the options, gear ratios etc.... http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/

My car feels faster and and runs lower 1/4 mile times with the 6th gen gearbox. I'm sure part of that is the HLSD. I still roll through the traps in 4th so it's not an issue in the 1/4 mile. A higher rev limiter would be nice but our cars have a nice wide power band already and the final drive is still not very low.

One thing I've noticed when racing other cars (legaly) is they all shift more even when I'm wining.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Play with my balls

Thanks Derrick. Once again, I appreciate the assist.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Is the FD on the Alty SE-R the same as the 6th gen FD's?
Yup. The Alty SE-R tranny is the same as the 05-06 A34 6-speed, aka 3rd revision.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
This site has tech information on all Nissans going back pretty far. You can compare the options, gear ratios etc.... http://www.nissanhelp.com/Models/

My car feels faster and and runs lower 1/4 mile times with the 6th gen gearbox. I'm sure part of that is the HLSD. I still roll through the traps in 4th so it's not an issue in the 1/4 mile. A higher rev limiter would be nice but our cars have a nice wide power band already and the final drive is still not very low.
It's beneficial even with the stock redline, no doubt, but I was just speaking in general terms. A shorter F/D with stock redline doesn't always equal faster 1/4 mile times. When used in conjunction with a higher redline (and actually making power up there) the benefit is two-fold. Higher torque multiplication + longer gears (by virtue of revs) is always beneficial. This is how honda's are so quick with their low torque.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:50 AM

soooo heres my latest option:

6th gen hlsd tranny with 10k miles WITH new fidanza flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch for $900 + my old tranny....sounds pretty good right?
Old 09-19-2008, 10:51 AM

That sounds excellent. My SE-R tranny alone cost 750 shipped.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

woohoo its a go then...this will take place next saturday. I hope I like the end result, especially with the performance parts. Im not much of a racer though I love getting on it from time to time...what can I expect from these extras?
Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 AM

The Fidanza flywheel is really nice. It makes a noticeable difference.

I had a Clutchmasters stage 3 and the pedal was way too stiff. Not comfortable for a daily driver. It was pretty bad a$$ being able to bark the tires going into 4th though. I took it out while it was still good and replaced it with a 350Z clutch which I really like.

I've never used the SPEC so hopefully it wont be as stiff as the CM. I'm sure others here can weigh in on the SPEC.

Either way it sounds like a good deal to get the $500 flywheel in the deal.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Play with my balls

I have the Fidanza and SPEC Stage 2 installed. It's been about a month and a half now with it in and I'm still loving every minute of it. I will tell you that there will be mucho chatter with your Stage 3. I had a Stage 3 in my Legend Coupe 6-speed and maybe it was the car but it wasn't nearly as much chatter as my Stage 2 in the Maxima. Either way, once it's in gear then it's not gonna budge. The Fidanza is just amazing, my 1st lightweight and the rewards from it is worth every penny to me. Good luck with your install!

soooo heres my latest option:

6th gen hlsd tranny with 10k miles WITH new fidanza flywheel and spec stage 3 clutch for $900 + my old tranny....sounds pretty good right?
btw......how and where did you get such a great deal from on the tranny? I want in on the secret.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 PM

I have the Fidanza and SPEC Stage 2 installed. It's been about a month and a half now with it in and I'm still loving every minute of it. I will tell you that there will be mucho chatter with your Stage 3. I had a Stage 3 in my Legend Coupe 6-speed and maybe it was the car but it wasn't nearly as much chatter as my Stage 2 in the Maxima. Either way, once it's in gear then it's not gonna budge. The Fidanza is just amazing, my 1st lightweight and the rewards from it is worth every penny to me. Good luck with your install!

btw......how and where did you get such a great deal from on the tranny? I want in on the secret.

thanks man...is this chatter will going INTO gear? I wanted to get AWAY from the grinding lol
Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Toolie

your maxima will rev up like a bike. I have the 06 tranny, fidanza flywheel and exedy stage 1 clutch. When you mat it in first gear you better not blink because you will be shifting into second gear with your eyes closed. The synchros are far smoother than the 03. The new final drive will accelerate like an sti in first gear. There is definitely more torque. IMHO this is a much better setup than the 03 stock. But, because you rev a little higher you will lose a tiny bit of gas mileage. It also helps reduce the drone from headers because it gets you out of the 2200 rpm zone on the highway.

I get a little chatter on the downshifts, and a bit when it goes in reverse.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Play with my balls

thanks man...is this chatter will going INTO gear? I wanted to get AWAY from the grinding lol
It's just chatter, no grinding. I have chatter when I release the clutch in almost any gear other than 5th and 6th. More-so when downshifting, or granny shifting. Usually when upshifting you're pretty much on the accelerator anyway so it revs out the chatter. I don't have an issue with it, some others do.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Play with my balls

......still want to know if another tranny can be had for the deal you got.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Toolie

I hated the chatter at first. But after talking to a bunch of people I realized that it is normal. After a few weeks I've gotten used to it and hardly notice it.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:55 PM

......still want to know if another tranny can be had for the deal you got.
I cant say bro
Old 09-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Play with my balls

I cant say bro
boooo....sell me yours.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:32 PM

ok just give me that 600rr in your avatar and we're good for the swap!!

:::wonders if you have an rr:::
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Play with my balls

ok just give me that 600rr in your avatar and we're good for the swap!!

:::wonders if you have an rr:::
lol, Reason I'm dumping money into the Max now. I've had a couple friends pass away in motorcycle accidents in the past 2 years, and my best friend just layed his down, and was severely hurt last month. I almost bought one right before the last mishap then decided that the risk didn't out weigh the rush. Therefore the money to get the bike is going towards the car. :/

The dream is very much alive though.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 AM

yea man I hear you on that...I hate local riding - so many people run stop signs, back outta driveways etc etc. I try to get on the highway whenever I can, not because I could open it up, but because in my opinion its actually safer. You shouldnt let that stop you from getting one though.

And thanks to everyone who helped me out. The swap will take place next saturday. How long of a job is it btw?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Toolie

4-6 hours if you know what you are doing, 8-10 if you have lot's of rusted on bolts
Old 09-21-2008, 10:48 AM

now I have an o/t question about the grinding...

it seems the only time I want to "test" the grind is when the car is parked but on, I rev to 4500 and put it in 3rd, it will grind like crazyyy. But when I'm pushing 2nd gear hard into 3rd, nothing, zip, nada...I just want to know why? As a matter of fact, I'll make a soundclip for you guys right now. Give me a few

edit: got it, just gonna take a few min to upload it

Last edited by pbn85; 09-21-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM

video footage of grinding

here it is, turn up your volume:

Old 09-21-2008, 05:16 PM

How about while driving? Since, you know, that's how 99.9% of us use our transmissions....
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 PM

How about while driving? Since, you know, that's how 99.9% of us use our transmissions....
now I have an o/t question about the grinding...

it seems the only time I want to "test" the grind is when the car is parked but on, I rev to 4500 and put it in 3rd, it will grind like crazyyy. But when I'm pushing 2nd gear hard into 3rd, nothing, zip, nada...I just want to know why? As a matter of fact, I'll make a soundclip for you guys right now. Give me a few

edit: got it, just gonna take a few min to upload it
maybe I wasn't clear...I meant when I'm driving hard in 2nd gear and put it in 3rd it goes in fine 80% of the time. But regardless, it shouldnt even be grinding while its still and when I rev it and put it in 3rd (and in NO other gear -I tried). I just wanted to know WHY it seems fine when driving most of the time and why it grinds when I tested it like I did
Old 09-21-2008, 06:16 PM

So your 3rd gear is not toast. If you just wanted an excuse to replace the tranny, fine. But nothing that would warrant replacement on its own is wrong with the tranny from what you've told us.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:35 AM

If I wanted an excuse to replace the tranny I would have done it 20k miles ago when I first started noticing it. Since then it became worse and yes 3rd gear grinds hard sometimes when I'm driving and it may or may not get worse. It's not a risk I'm willing to take. Thats why Im looking into getting a replacement tranny, specifically, the one I mentioned in post 14.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM

Your description of the issue has been inconsistent, that's all. But now I understand why you want to replace it.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:33 PM

ok...Im going thru with that tranny I mentioned in post 14 and its being installed in 3 hours in a shop after hours....:::crosses fingers::: for a clean swap. I'll post up my review later
Old 09-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Cool, let us know how it goes. What clutch are you using?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 AM

Old tranny:

Flywheel on:

and thats it! Im happy for a successful install. Car revs up sooo much faster now. I stalled out a few times getting used to the new clutch feel. 3rd gear is great now too! woot!

Last edited by pbn85; 09-28-2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Play with my balls

Good deal. Can't wait to rid my crunch as well.

Quick Reply: Getting my 6mt tranny replaced with a 6th gen one