5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 maxima stalls right after startup when engine warm. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

03 maxima stalls right after startup when engine warm. Please help!

-When started with engine cold, seems to drive alright.

-However when turned off and started again with the engine still warm, the car dies immediately. The only way I can keep it running is if I quickly step on the gas and rev it up for a bit. Then the idle is pretty rough and the RPM falls to about 500 and feels like it's about to die.

-No codes (when checking codes, SES LED flashes 10 10 10 10, which means there is no codes)

-Attempted to perform Idle Air Volume Learning several times, but unable to complete since it dies right away when started (and the instructions say to do it when engine is at operating temperature).

-Cleaned the MAF sensor, but did not fix the problem.

-I have no mods to the intake system.

To give some background, this started happenning 3 days ago, right after I replaced my Clutch Slave Cylinder and hose. I had to remove the airbox and the battery, and they were out of the car for a couple of days. I was sure not to touch the throttle body plate nor try to clean it in any way. I also made sure I clamped the hose onto the TB pretty tight.

Before this I had an occasional intermittent problem with weaker performance and bad gas mileage which I believed was caused by a caliper that kept seizing up (however it could have been caused by something else).

After doing some searching, it seemed that for people with 'similar' problem the suspects were bad MAF, coils, and IACV, however I did not find a thread with anyone who had the same problem as me (and those were mostly threads for 5th gen not 5.5).

Any advice on what I should do next? The last thing I want to do is to go to the dealership.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 PM

according to the haynes manual, these are the possibilities for if an engine starts, but dies immediately:

1. loose or faulty connections at distributor, coil, or alternator
2. insufficient fuel reaching fuel injectors
3. vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and throttle body
4. idle speed incorrect
5. intake air leaks, broken vacuum lines
Old 08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

Originally Posted by wyche89
according to the haynes manual, these are the possibilities for if an engine starts, but dies immediately:

1. loose or faulty connections at distributor, coil, or alternator
2. insufficient fuel reaching fuel injectors
3. vacuum leak at the gasket between the intake manifold/plenum and throttle body
4. idle speed incorrect
5. intake air leaks, broken vacuum lines
hmm... good suggestions. I am suspecting that since it happened right after, it could very likely be something I caused when replacing the clutch slave cylinder. Since I did have to remove the airbox, a likely possibility could be an air leak somewhere. I noticed some small cracks on the hose connecting the throttle body to the airbox/MAF. I will take it off again and inspect it more closely.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:08 PM
03 Maxima, 6spd

oh, also, I just got myself a OBDII scanner with the ability of reading Live Data (the values of some of the sensors). this one right here:

http://www.mechanicdoctor.com/info1138103.htm

can any of the sensor info it gives be helpful in troubleshooting this?

It gives the following Live Data Readings:

* Fuels Sys 1 OL
* Fuels Sys 2 OL
* Coolant Temp (F)
* ST FTRM1 (%)
* LT FTRM1 (%)
* ST FTRM2 (%)
* LT FTRM2 (%)
* MAP (in hg)
* Engine RPM
* Vehicle Speed (MPH)
* Ignition Adv. (Deg)
* IAT (F)
* MAF (lb/min)
* Absolute TPS (%)
* O2S11 Voltage & %
* O2S12 Voltage & %
* O2S21 Voltage & %
* O2S22 Voltage & %
* PTO Status
* OBD2 Status – CA
Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 PM

mines just dies when cold... but when warm functions fine.. ima ad a thread about that....