5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need to remove front driver power seat - no forward/backward movement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need to remove front driver power seat - no forward/backward movement.

Hey guys,

The power driver seat stopped sliding forward and backward in my 00 GXE (Cloth), not the reclining part but the actual forward/backward horizontal movement.

I have a set of power leather that I want to install in the car that is ready to go, but I can't figure out how to get the front driver seat out since the rear bolts are not easily exposed with the front seat stuck in the fully back horizontal position.

When I move the switch backwards I don't hear any noise, clicks, etc. however all other functions for moving the reclining portion of the seat work fine along with the up/down positions of the front/back of the bottom seat cushion.

Any ideas? I've searched the forum and found one other person with this problem but didn't see any resolutions listed. I've looked in the FSM but couldn't make heads or tails of my options at this point.

Thanks for any help you can lend,

Nem
Old 07-05-2008, 03:28 PM

keep trying to move it forward and backward without sitting in it. Thats the only way I got mine to move after a while.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:25 PM

I have the same problem with the seat moving fwd/bkwd, If you are sitting in the seat and you reach under the seat and behind your left leg/knee, you can feel the motor that moves the seat. I have been able to move the seat by pulling up on the motor and moving the switch at the same time.

If you are not in the seat, you can stand over the seat and with your left hand reach under the front part of the seat near the door. Pull up with your left hand while moving the seat switch backward.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:05 PM

K, i'll try it out. I also looked at the bottom of the driver's leather seat I have ready to install. I think I have some more ideas to try, let ya know how it goes tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM

If you look under the seat, there are two bolts (10mm I believe) toward the front. You'll only be able to reach them from the rear seat (reaching under the driver seat from back to front). These bolts secure the long screw drives (one on the left and one on the right) that allows the seat to move forward and back. Remove both of these bolts and the seat will move back and forth manually, allowing you to access the seat mounting bolts.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM

thanks for the suggestion bro, I saw those two bolts earlier when I was looking at the new driver seat I am going to install. Figured either those bolts, yanking on the front motor, or maybe fitting a wrench in there to undo the bolts were probably my best 3 options.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nemmeh
thanks for the suggestion bro, I saw those two bolts earlier when I was looking at the new driver seat I am going to install. Figured either those bolts, yanking on the front motor, or maybe fitting a wrench in there to undo the bolts were probably my best 3 options.
np

My motor died in the exit position (seat all the way back covering the rear mounting bolts). Undoing those screw drive bolts made it easy to get the seat out.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:11 PM

thanks for the suggestions guys, yanking on the motor while pushing the switch worked. It allowed the seat to move forward and backward long enough for me to get the bolts out. Kinda strange that would work, I guess the connections were just lose or worn out.. I got the new leather in and operational, everything is looking pretty good now.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Followed the instructions today and everything works great.

Had to take the seat all the way out to get those screws from under the trim .

Thanks again for the step by step
Old 09-28-2010, 04:42 PM

Damn that sucks but good luck mine went out on the 2000 but came back right before sold!!