5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clicking/grinding noise in engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Clicking/grinding noise in engine bay

Alright well I have had this problem for a couple months now and it hasn't gone away on its own like I hoped. I originally thought it was a problem related to dropping a grounding kit bolt in my belt/pulley area (http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...lley-area.html). I am pretty sure that this is not the case anymore, so I thought it was worthy of a new thread.

Whenever my car is idling in park or stopped, I don't hear the clicking noise at all. I can only hear it when in gear and hitting the gas (reverse or drive). As soon as I let off the gas, the sound goes away. It also seems like the clicking only starts once the car has been warmed up for about 5-10 minutes. The time between each click is also proportional to my RPMs. When I am starting off in 1st gear (automatic), it clicks very slowly and gets louder the higher the RPMs get. Once it switches to 2nd, the clicking slows down and gets faster the higher the RPMs get...and so on. You can also hear the clicking very distinctly in 2nd and pretty well in 3rd. Once I am in 4th gear, the clicking is so fast that it's just a noise. When the car is in between switching gears, it almost makes a grinding type sound, not clicking. It sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the engine bay very close to where I'm sitting in the driver seat. I wish I could put the car on a dyno or something so I could give it gas while it's in gear with the hood open to be able to tell exactly where it's coming from without the car moving. I have no clue what this could be...transmission, engine, ????. Please if anyone has a clue, help me out...this is driving me nuts.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM

I should also add that I have a clunking noise coming from the front. When I'm going over bumps at a low speed, something is clunking very loudly...not sure if this could be related...maybe an axle issue? I don't hear it when going over bumps at higher speeds though. This has been happening for a very long time...I've gotten under the car multiple times to check the heat shields and everything, but haven't really found anything to be loose.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 PM

what makes you think it's not related to the bolt dropping down there?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
what makes you think it's not related to the bolt dropping down there?
Because it doesn't sound like it's coming from the same area as where I dropped the bolt. I also think I heard the bolt fall out one day while I was driving...but not sure about that. It just doesn't seem like this could be caused by a bolt. I'm not a car expert though, which is why I'm asking here.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

With the car in park and reving the engine, do you hear the noise? If not then it would likely be transmission or wheel/bearing related.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
With the car in park and reving the engine, do you hear the noise? If not then it would likely be transmission or wheel/bearing related.
Nope, when the car's in park and I rev the engine, can't hear it at all. Only when in gear and pressing accelerator. I really hope it's not the transmission. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with wheel bearings either, because if it was, then the clicks wouldn't be at the same pace as the RPMs.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:01 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Could simply be a loose torque converter bolt.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Could simply be a loose torque converter bolt.
I just did some reading about torque converters (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter1.htm) because I really didn't know anything about them. Now that I have an understanding of how they work, it sounds like that could definitely be causing this problem. Any idea how I can check on that without paying to get my car looked at? Or will I definitely need to take it to a garage to have my transmission disassembled? Hopefully there is a way I could test it or something to make sure that's what the problem is. I really appreciate your response, because I would've never known to look into that.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:09 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

You'd have to seperate the engine from the transmission to get at the bolts. I swapped converters a few times when I had my Chevelle and if I didn't fully tighten the bolts (which I did once), I could hear a clicking sound from under the middle of the car.

Put your foot on the gas and brake at the same time while the car is stopped and bring the rpms to around 1500 rpm and see if that changes the tone of the noise you hear. That might at least then point to the converter/transmission.

What you might want to do is have someone ride in the car with you and see if they can pinpoint where the sound is coming from, then you can zero in on the parts of the car in that area.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:56 PM

You'd have to seperate the engine from the transmission to get at the bolts. I swapped converters a few times when I had my Chevelle and if I didn't fully tighten the bolts (which I did once), I could hear a clicking sound from under the middle of the car.

Put your foot on the gas and brake at the same time while the car is stopped and bring the rpms to around 1500 rpm and see if that changes the tone of the noise you hear. That might at least then point to the converter/transmission.

What you might want to do is have someone ride in the car with you and see if they can pinpoint where the sound is coming from, then you can zero in on the parts of the car in that area.
Thanks Scott, I will definitely give this a try!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 AM

I think all 5th gen Maximas are plagued with this noise. I notice that when I start my car sometimes that the engine will klunk, and I also get the same noise when going over bumps. So over the weekend I inspected my back Motor mount and found out that the mount had started to seperate from the mold casting. I made a home made mount using my existing mount, but filling it in with urethane. I used 3M's window weld which I got from O'reilly auto parts for about $11. I just filled in the existing part of the mount that was hallow with this urethane and let it set up for 3 days to make sure it fully cured. I also did the from motor mount the same way, since its only easiest since you have access to both motor mounts when I dropped the center cross member. Once fully cured I now have to solid mounts that cost me less than $11 to make compaired to about $200. So far I've heard no more odd klunking noises when going over bumps or when the engines is started. My car has about 46k on it and it shouldn't be making any odd noises at all. I have a 92 Accord with 250k on it and there is no noises in the suspension or the car period. It seems like these 5th gen Maximas all have these same symptoms.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 4thgenmaxboy
I think all 5th gen Maximas are plagued with this noise. I notice that when I start my car sometimes that the engine will klunk, and I also get the same noise when going over bumps. So over the weekend I inspected my back Motor mount and found out that the mount had started to seperate from the mold casting. I made a home made mount using my existing mount, but filling it in with urethane. I used 3M's window weld which I got from O'reilly auto parts for about $11. I just filled in the existing part of the mount that was hallow with this urethane and let it set up for 3 days to make sure it fully cured. I also did the from motor mount the same way, since its only easiest since you have access to both motor mounts when I dropped the center cross member. Once fully cured I now have to solid mounts that cost me less than $11 to make compaired to about $200. So far I've heard no more odd klunking noises when going over bumps or when the engines is started. My car has about 46k on it and it shouldn't be making any odd noises at all. I have a 92 Accord with 250k on it and there is no noises in the suspension or the car period. It seems like these 5th gen Maximas all have these same symptoms.
Yea I agree it seems like all 5th gens have issues with the clunking noise over bumps on the front end, but this thread is more about the clicking noise I'm getting. I will probably be taking the Max to the dealership soon to see what they think it is...I think ScottWax might be right about the torque converter. I have no clue what else it could be.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:24 PM

Well I got the clunking noise fixed by replacing one of the sway bar end links. I still have the clicking/grinding noise though, and it seems to be getting worse. Does anyone else think this sounds like it could be a torque converter? I will probably be taking it to a garage or the dealership (since I'm still under extended warranty) to see what they have to say...even though the dealership will probably tell me I need a rebuilt transmission or something. It would just be nice if I could tell them exactly what to check....
Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM

I need to bump this thread again because I still haven't got this fixed. The noise is definitely worse than ever and sounds like something is seriously wrong. I dropped my car off Friday at the stealership...they told me that this noise is being caused by my engine oil being low. They told me they didn't see any oil on the dipstick! Considering the fact that I've been having trouble getting an accurate reading on my dipstick ever since I switched over to Amsoil 5w-30, I thought it might make sense. Even though everytime I check the dipstick there is at least oil on it...it's just smeared all over (so I think the stealership was lying). So I paid the $90 labor charge and left. Saturday morning, the first thing I did was a full oil change with Amsoil again...I changed the filter and put 4.25 quarts in. After doing so I drove around for about 15 minutes and didn't hear the sound...but then to my dissapoint, it came back. So I called the dealership back today and told them I changed my oil and the sound came back, they told me to drop the car off again on Wednesday. The sound hasn't really changed...it's just gotten louder. PLEASE...does anyone else have a clue what this could be before the dealership tries to rape me again?

EDIT: I also forgot to say that this noise has been going on since before I switched from dino oil to Amsoil...so I am 99% sure it has nothing to do with oil.

Last edited by sublime258; 08-11-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM

we really need sound clip to tell the problem.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
we really need sound clip to tell the problem.
I don't have anything to digitally record sound. Even if I did, I'm not sure the noise would be loud enough to pick up, because of my exhaust. So I guess my only hope is that someone else has had this problem and found out the cause of it...
Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by sublime258
I don't have anything to digitally record sound. Even if I did, I'm not sure the noise would be loud enough to pick up, because of my exhaust. So I guess my only hope is that someone else has had this problem and found out the cause of it...
broken exhaust manifold?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
broken exhaust manifold?
That might make a grinding type sound...but I don't think it would explain clicking?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM

It's not this I hope
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ics-video.html
Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyd2k2
Nope...it's not a distinct knocking sound like that...it's like a clicking/tapping sound that turns into a grind as it's about to switch/switching gears. I'm totally stumped.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had a clicking sound while i'm driving "depressing the acc. pedal " mostly in low speed... but all of the clicking disappear when i fully release the pedal or change the speed. and sometime it's gone... but it comes back.. it's a nightmare. i didn't solve the issue but it disappeared and i know it will come back once in a while.

I believe this noise accurs because of the cooling system and/or type of engine oil. what i did is flushing the radiator and replacing 1 fan motor. and change the oil that nissan recommends for hot wethear. well 90% of the noise disappeared. hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for your input, but I already got this figured out. Sorry that I didn't update the thread. It turned out to be that one of my grounding kit straps was grounded to a point that it wasn't supposed to be grounded to, and was somehow creating the clicking noise. Go figure - I pay money to improve my car and end up paying more money to get it fixed because of the "improvement". The grinding noise (which I still have) is actually something different - my flex pipe. The other woven metal part pulled out of one end, and it's rattling against the other metal, making what sounds like a grinding metal noise...even though it's really vibrating metal threads. You can only hear it do this when the RPMs get high (around 3-3.5k). I haven't got this fixed yet because I haven't had time to drop my car off at an exhaust shop. If Cattman starts making 5.5 gen y-pipes again soon enough, I might buy one instead...