5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bump Steer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Bump Steer Issue

My car is exhibiting excessive bump steer. The steering wheel moves to the left or the right every time I go over a bump, and the effect grows stronger the harder I'm accelerating when hitting a bump, dip, ripple, or any kind of inconsistency in the road. It is very hard to control when accelerating hard over uneven surfaces, as the entire car moves left and right when I'm really on it. I thought it may have been my struts, but I replaced all of them with tokico illuminas, and it didn't change a thing. I'm getting new tires soon just because I need them, but will that even change anything? Right now I have Cooper Touring tires on there. This problem is very annoying and dangerous even when I'm driving normally... especially in the rain. What else could this possibly be? Springs? Tie Rods?

Last edited by wyche89; 07-01-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM

I'd say, pretty normal.
our maxima does have very happy steering wheel, unlike the 05 accord I drove has sticky steering wheel.
if you hit a bump in an angle, the steering wheel should move because the force will tune the wheels.
samething with driving on uneven surface.
somebody said about torque steering, but my maxima doesn't do that on even road.

Last edited by jasonmax; 07-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
My car is exhibiting excessive bump steer. The steering wheel moves to the left or the right every time I go over a bump, and the effect grows stronger the harder I'm accelerating when hitting a bump, dip, ripple, or any kind of inconsistency in the road. It is very hard to control when accelerating hard over uneven surfaces, as the entire car moves left and right when I'm really on it. I thought it may have been my struts, but I replaced all of them with tokico illuminas, and it didn't change a thing. I'm getting new tires soon just because I need them, but will that even change anything? Right now I have Cooper Touring tires on there. This problem is very annoying and dangerous even when I'm driving normally... especially in the rain. What else could this possibly be? Springs? Tie Rods?
I've noticed my doing that here lately as well. I recently got my car aligned and to be honest, I think thats what caused is since it wasn't doing that before.
When you're accelerating..thats just torque steer. The movement of the steering wheel at normal driving speeds is what concerns me.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by jasonmax
I'd say, pretty normal.
our maxima does have very happy steering wheel, unlike the 05 accord I drove has sticky steering wheel.
if you hit a bump in an angle, the steering wheel should move because the force will tune the wheels.
samething with driving on uneven surface.
somebody said about torque steering, but my maxima doesn't do that on even road.
i definitely do not think that this problem is normal.. i had a 5th gen before this car, and i could go WOT on certain roads without a second thought, while with this car, i have to struggle to keep it under control at MEDIUM throttle on those same roads

Originally Posted by 4DSCDriver
I've noticed my doing that here lately as well. I recently got my car aligned and to be honest, I think thats what caused is since it wasn't doing that before.
When you're accelerating..thats just torque steer. The movement of the steering wheel at normal driving speeds is what concerns me.
i know what torque steer is, and that is not an issue, because i know it's to be expected with FWD cars.. however, this problem is a whole different animal.. the problem ONLY happens when the road surface is uneven, by the way... on a perfectly flat road, i can go WOT with no problems at all.. the problems start only when inconsistencies arise in the road.. or when my wheel is turned (for example, i cant accelerate quickly and switch lanes at the same time)

Last edited by wyche89; 07-01-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 AM

i definitely do not think that this problem is normal.. i had a 5th gen before this car, and i could go WOT on certain roads without a second thought, while with this car, i have to struggle to keep it under control at MEDIUM throttle on those same roads

i know what torque steer is, and that is not an issue, because i know it's to be expected with FWD cars.. however, this problem is a whole different animal.. the problem ONLY happens when the road surface is uneven, by the way... on a perfectly flat road, i can go WOT with no problems at all.. the problems start only when inconsistencies arise in the road.. or when my wheel is turned (for example, i cant accelerate quickly and switch lanes at the same time)
Sounds like bad tires with broken or loose belt insides the tire. Bumpsteer is the binding of the tierod ends due to extreme angles normally involving extreme lowered vehicles! Look at your tierod ends and inspect whether they're binding against the spindle torque arm. I doubt it!!! How much lower are you than stock?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Sounds like bad tires with broken or loose belt insides the tire. Bumpsteer is the binding of the tierod ends due to extreme angles normally involving extreme lowered vehicles! Look at your tierod ends and inspect whether they're binding against the spindle torque arm. I doubt it!!! How much lower are you than stock?
i'm on stock springs... i got the car with 49k on it, so there might be a chance it was lowered before i got it, but i doubt it.. i just have the illumina struts set on 2... i don't even know what a tie rod or a spindle torque arm looks like! lol.. well i'm getting some new tires tomorrow so maybe i'll be in luck... is there ANYthing else that could be causing this?

Last edited by wyche89; 07-02-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not normal at all. My car doesn't do that even on the worst roads in boston, no matter how fast I am going.......
Old 07-02-2008, 02:22 PM
WSH for teh cup

It's most likely your tires. I was experiencing the same symptoms as when I had bald tires. After replacing them.... it rides like a dream. I think once your tires are worn down (or if you have a broken belt) the tend to "tramline" or follow the imperfections in the road.

Does your car move to the left and right even while not accelerating? I know mine did....
Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Balljoint issue?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle00
It's most likely your tires. I was experiencing the same symptoms as when I had bald tires. After replacing them.... it rides like a dream. I think once your tires are worn down (or if you have a broken belt) the tend to "tramline" or follow the imperfections in the road.

Does your car move to the left and right even while not accelerating? I know mine did....
yeah, a little bit... if i go over the right bump when i'm cruising then the steering wheel will definitely move... just not as much as when i'm accelerating.. how can you tell there's a broken belt in the tire besides noticing the symptoms?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:51 PM
PM me for LCA's!

inspect the suspension first. Check the ball joints in the control arm and check the torque of the upper strut nuts. If everything looks solid and nothing is loose, i would recommned replacing inner tie rods. You might as well do the outters too. if you can do this your self, it's not much money.

Do not get Ebay parts. Buy Moog off Rockauto.com.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
retired moderator

if you haven't changed tie rod ends in the last 50k miles, do that first....
Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 PM

That problem seemed to be dramatically reduced after i lowered my car ???
Old 07-05-2008, 10:39 AM

ok, i got my new tires on the other day, and the problem is sooo much better.. not completely gone, but i'd say about 90%.. to the point where i feel safe accelerating now it also handles and rides better too.. these tires are the sh*t
Old 07-12-2008, 11:56 PM

UPDATE

the problem is back... i got illumina struts, set them at 2 upon installation, and they didn't really help the problem... the new tires helped the problem alot, although didn't completely eliminate it.. i changed the strut setting to the stiffest setting of 5, and that just brought the bumpsteer back.. almost like it completely negated the positive effect the new tires had.. so i set them back on 2, figuring that would help, but the bumpsteer is STILL bad... feels like what it did when they were on 5.. this sh*t is making me mad... how hard is it to change tie rod ends yourself? my search is not currently working

Last edited by wyche89; 07-13-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 AM

THATS odd, with my illumians set to 5 (the stiffest) i feel the bumps, but my steering responses isnt affected...I can hit a nice sized bump an my wheel will barely budge.....

that all changed when i bought my 19's a few weeks back....but according to another .org'er, my car wheels are exhibiting "tracking".....
Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by hi-tek22
THATS odd, with my illumians set to 5 (the stiffest) i feel the bumps, but my steering responses isnt affected...I can hit a nice sized bump an my wheel will barely budge.....

that all changed when i bought my 19's a few weeks back....but according to another .org'er, my car wheels are exhibiting "tracking".....
yeah, somethings f'd up about my car, and i need to find out what it is...
Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 AM

yeah, somethings f'd up about my car, and i need to find out what it is...

wait, but you've got STOCK wheels though right?
Old 07-13-2008, 10:38 AM

yes.. stock wheels and stock springs
Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 PM

I would seriously check the ball joints and tie rods. They are not a hard to install with basic tools. You will just have to get an alingment afterwards.