5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help: Fidanza flywheel fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 PM
Thinks he is fast

Help: Fidanza flywheel fitment

I had my trans replaced under warranty today and at the same time replaced the flywheel with a Fidanza, Exedy stage one clutch and had them replace the rear main seal.

My quarrel: I knew about the issue Fidanza had with the early production run of these flywheels and emailed them to ensure my flywheel had the correct number of ring gear teeth (124) which it did. So, I assumed I was in the clear. Bad assumption. I AM getting the well known problem regarding the starter gear grind during startup.

What I didn't know beforehand: I did not know there were different alignment holes associated with FWD and RWD applications, distinct. I am under the impression now that this flywheel was just simply not installed incorrectly (the tech mounted the flywheel using the RWD alignment holes) OR I had the incorrect ring gear.

Now I'm unsure of how to handle this situation. I signed something at the dealer that allowed me to have the non - OEM parts installed (flywheel+clutch). I was not charged any extra labor for them to install these. If they were in fact installed incorrectly, the only way to know for certain would be to pull the trans again in which case I would have to pay for the associated labor, unless they were honest and noticed the problem while it was out and assumed liability. The chances of this happening are certainly not in my favor.

One last question for those with this flywheel installed on their 5.5 gen. There was a post http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=543060 where they had the flywheel installed on the RWD dowel and this caused their CEL to come on for the crank position sensor due to the incorrect gear lineup. I do not have any CELs as of now. Would it be an accurate assumption to believe that because I am not getting a CEL that this was in fact installed correctly? I'm a little concerned about this. Can anyone shed some light on this? If this is the case I will likely dremel some of the starter to "shift" it over. This would be a waste if it were installed incorrectly.

I plan on talking to Wayne over at Fidanza regarding this and I will post his response. Thanks.